Patriots release Shiancoe and place Stallworth on IR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Patriots release Shiancoe and place Stallworth on IR

I wonder if maybe they just thought Branch would be the better fit and did Stallworth a solid by not just cutting him - I know he had the touchdown, but if you watch the replay the guy was all over him.

As soon as Shiancoe dropped that ball I thought, why are we keeping him around?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

Mike Petraglia         Mike Petraglia â€@Trags

This is a stunner... Donte' Stallworth on IR with (ankle)... There were NO signs of this in-game or post-game Monday.

sucks, no ay branch is getting deep like stallworth did.

he may make a few key catches. 

sucks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I wonder if maybe they just thought Branch would be the better fit and did Stallworth a solid by not just cutting him - I know he had the touchdown, but if you watch the replay the guy was all over him.

As soon as Shiancoe dropped that ball I thought, why are we keeping him around?

stallworth is not fast anymore but he can get downfiled like branch cant. 

i wondered why we didnt get branch since he said he was ready. 

but seeing stallworth make a 1 hand catch, i would love to have both (unless there was a better option)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

I must be missing something.  The Pats website shows 52 active without Branch.  They dropped 2 players (one to IR).  Did someone else get elevated from the PS?  I was expecting to see 51 active, or 52 with Branch.

http://www.patriots.com/team/roster.html

I just checked and got the same count.  That's weird . . . not sure what's up.  Is there an exemption for one of those players?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Stop babbling about "deep threats". It's so annoying. Playaction makes any WR here a "deep threat".

Some of you still don't get it and are addicted to what Moss did in his prime (with Welker underneath) in 2007.

Lloyd is a fine "deep threat".  Run the ball consistenly and keep Brady under center. What good isa a guy who can run fast and be a deep threat if it's not an option?

Talk about annoying babbling . . . 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I must be missing something.  The Pats website shows 52 active without Branch.  They dropped 2 players (one to IR).  Did someone else get elevated from the PS?  I was expecting to see 51 active, or 52 with Branch.

I just checked and got the same count.  That's weird . . . not sure what's up.  Is there an exemption for one of those players?

keep us posted pro,

been a little too busy today to keep up on it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

shianco dropping mallets rocket was his death.  Ha ha 

Wasn't it also him who jumped the pile and cut down Arrington in the knees? Very careless!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Yeah I hated seeing a 70 yard touchdown play. Glad Stallworth is out. Let's replace him with an aging veteran who can't get open and who is totally redundant with what Wes Welker brings to the table. That's a really intelligent take on this team. Amazed someone would not only make it but mock people who oppose it. C'mon. 

Stallworth is a loss - a shame. But, not a mortal loss by any means. 

As for the reporter who said "no sign of this during the game" - well, except Stallworth didn't play the last 25 minutes. Nice reporting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I feel bad for Stallworth...I, for whatever reason, like him on the team and glad he got another shot with the team. 

That said...I love Branch more.  I still think he's got an uncanny ability to get to that soft spot of the defense at critical times.  He's fallen way down on Brady's depth chart..being the fifth look, but I think he's still able to get open when he needs to.  Good football player, excellent blocker down field, etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Wasn't it also him who jumped the pile and cut down Arrington in the knees? Very careless!!

No...I think that was Justin Francis...I was really ticked at him jumping over the pile for no good reason.  He also committed a penalty on 3rd down to give the Texans a much easier 3rd and 5.  Not his best work...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to SUZUKIGSXR's comment:

This is like a recurring bad dream which is getting irritating! Stallworth at least added decent speed on the outside, only for him to be put on IR now also! At least bring Gaffney back again, not keep bringing the useless Branch back over and over again! Branch must be Bill and Tom's biggest arse kisser, because I don't understand Bill's big infatuation with the washed up reciever! Deion isin;t getting open against the 49ers unless the DB falls asleep from narcolepsy!

Because TB has a high standard for knowing the system and  running routes a certain way. It is not easy, some guys never get it, like ocho. Someone off the street would take more than a week to learn.  Branch can just walk on and plug in.

Gaffney would be able to also.

Last game Slater blew by the secondary, he has good speed for sure. He could certainly force the safeties back a couple steps even without a completion which is pretty much all that is needed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

I forgot woodhead... And fells...  and now branch.  I guess it makes sense.  If we're guessing imagine other teams trying to figure it out.

true but stallworth was really only our 2nd downfield threat

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:

I feel bad for Stallworth...I, for whatever reason, like him on the team and glad he got another shot with the team. 

That said...I love Branch more.  I still think he's got an uncanny ability to get to that soft spot of the defense at critical times.  He's fallen way down on Brady's depth chart..being the fifth look, but I think he's still able to get open when he needs to.  Good football player, excellent blocker down field, etc.

you're right ytse,

that is bracnh's upside. hi downside is he can get shut doen and dissapear a couple games at a time and in the plyoffs you cant afford that. id rather have both (and cut shiancoe)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to SUZUKIGSXR's comment:

This is like a recurring bad dream which is getting irritating! Stallworth at least added decent speed on the outside, only for him to be put on IR now also! At least bring Gaffney back again, not keep bringing the useless Branch back over and over again! Branch must be Bill and Tom's biggest arse kisser, because I don't understand Bill's big infatuation with the washed up reciever! Deion isin;t getting open against the 49ers unless the DB falls asleep from narcolepsy!

thanks for teh gaffeny reminder, if hes still availabel i totally woudl brin ghim in!

good one suzuki

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB is a master at stashing serviceable players around the 53 man limit.  Branch wasn't healthy for some reason, so he was dropped and nobody picked him up.  No Edelman, so BB picked up Stallworth.  Stallworth goes out, scores six for the cameras, gets injured.  So, BB has Branch who got a little healthier sitting at home.  Both players know exactly where Tom Brady is going to throw the football.  Do you suppose that any other quarterback in the league gets old friends out of a vending machine on demand?

Shiancoe is going away because BB has enough tight ends.  Therefore, it must be Gronk time.  Tell Gronk to spike the ball with his good arm, please.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

BB is a master at stashing serviceable players around the 53 man limit.  Branch wasn't healthy for some reason, so he was dropped and nobody picked him up.  No Edelman, so BB picked up Stallworth.  Stallworth goes out, scores six for the cameras, gets injured.  So, BB has Branch who got a little healthier sitting at home.  Both players know exactly where Tom Brady is going to throw the football.  Do you suppose that any other quarterback in the league gets old friends out of a vending machine on demand?

Shiancoe is going away because BB has enough tight ends.  Therefore, it must be Gronk time.  Tell Gronk to spike the ball with his good arm, please.

" Do you suppose that any other quarterback in the league gets old friends out of a vending machine on demand?"

love that!

"Tell Gronk to spike the ball with his good arm, please."

(laughing:)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from inbredbru. Show inbredbru's posts

There is a roster exemption for Cunninghams suspension. Should have him back in two weeks. That should further solidify the defensive rotation.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

I belive they have an exemption with Bolden..not sure though...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

I belive they have an exemption with Bolden..not sure though...

They did, but Bolden played on Monday night, so I'd assume that exemption is no longer in effect. But maybe they have one for Cunningham? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Boy glad they used that IR exemption on Shia. I remember getting killed by some for second guessing why using the exemption so early on a minor piece, well this is why

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Maybe we're only going with 52.   We can be tough guys like last years colts.   One player doesn't make that much difference    Does it?   * sarcastic eye roll *

oh wait play have a good qb already. 

Sections
Shortcuts