Patriots released LB Bobby Carpenter!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Patriots released LB Bobby Carpenter!

Patriots released LB Bobby Carpenter. The Patriots' purge of veterans they signed in the offseason continues unabated. Carpenter's cut comes as a big surprise, as he was projected in most corners to be the Pats' top reserve linebacker. Carpenter has been an ineffective player for years, however, and holds little value outside of coverage and special teams. His release means more snaps for Tracy White and Mike Rivera.

Shocker!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dastardly. Show dastardly's posts

Re: Patriots released LB Bobby Carpenter!

Surprised but not shocked.  With all the veterans he's released, it's obvious BB is going with youth rather than experience.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

dang i really wanted a great cover lb such as carpenter, thought for sure rivera would be the first lb cut.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

wow that's shocking to me. Other then the starters he was one of the best LB's on the field

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Carpenter has been something of an under achiever throughout his career and he hasn't stuck long on any team he's been on, so maybe BB feels Rivera has more upside.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

dang i really wanted a great cover lb such as carpenter, thought for sure rivera would be the first lb cut.

Wilson and Ebner will be on the field instead in passing situations I think. BB seems to be using safeties instead of LBs more and more.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

not able to post anything

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Okay it worked that time, wow, this is rough.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm really not surprised by anything the pats do anymore, so cutting a guy that for the most part has been a bust is no big deal. I think the only thing they've done that has shocked me was cut Milloy days before the season opener and leave Ted Johnson off the opening day roster ten years ago...since then, nothing surprises me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'm really not surprised by anything the pats do anymore, so cutting a guy that for the most part has been a bust is no big deal. I think the only thing they've done that has shocked me was cut Milloy days before the season opener and leave Ted Johnson off the opening day roster ten years ago...since then, nothing surprises me.

True, other than Brady nothing would surprise me that much.   They are certainly going with the youth movement. Remember a few seasons ago where every game the announcers and espn would constantly bash the Patriots for being old and slow? Can't say that anymore, nice job by BB rebuilding this team while staying competitive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Just goes to show you.  Can't count on anything you read or hear about the Pats and their players.

I know Carpenter has be an underachiever his whole career but we've heard nothing but positive things about him during camp.

Like someone said before, if Bill is saying good things about you then that is probably a good indication that you're headed to the guillotine. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Like someone said before, if Bill is saying good things about you then that is probably a good indication that you're headed to the guillotine. 

Or not :-)  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Or not.

Belichick is an enigma.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

His moves usually make perfect sense in retrospect, but he's like sixty steps ahead of everyone else.  Just glad he coaches our team and not someone else's  . . . 

"I resign as HC of the NYJ" may just be the prettiest words in the English language . . . if that really is English . . . 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:

Carpenter and the word great do not belong in the same sentence. Coverage was supposed to be his strong suit. But, the guy didn't do all that much during the pre-season games. The truth of the matter is that Carpenter never fulfilled his expectations, since being selected in the first round by the Dallas Cowboys in 2006 NFL draft, with the 18th pick, overall. I'd rather see younger guys with more upside, like Rivera, get his shot.

Rivera earned his roster spot in the final preseason game against the Giants...in which he led the Pats in tackles with 13...including 12 solos. Plus, the season ending injury to Dane Fletcher left the Pats a bit thin at MLB/ILB...the position that Rivera plays.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The Lawyer Milloy move in 2003 was the biggest shocker, to me. BB really set the tone with that one. Play well and play the Patriot Way, or you're gone...no matter who you are, or what you have previously accomplished.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

The Lawyer Milloy move in 2003 was the biggest shocker, to me. BB really set the tone with that one. Play well and play the Patriot Way, or you're gone...no matter who you are, or what you have previously accomplished.

This is what makes the Pats so fun, fascinating and inscrutable to watch. Watching BB is like watching a chess match except we are still playing checkers! I rarely have an idea of what is coming next. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Not shocked I thought Niko KasaIcan'tspellhislastnamevitas out played hin. I am shocked that Katani made in onto the taxi squad and Niko didn't, he has delivered on the field when on it stays in his game and role. We also signed Sam Kirkland WR off waivers,he used to at Wash when McD was there so who knows.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

+1
    what the hell is the plan now?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to prolate0spheroids comment:

Wilson and Ebner will be on the field instead in passing situations I think. BB seems to be using safeties instead of LBs more and more.

i concur.
    still im oncerned at lb after our starters

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Just goes to show you.  Can't count on anything you read or hear about the Pats and their players.

I know Carpenter has be an underachiever his whole career but we've heard nothing but positive things about him during camp.

:)
    more often than not

we'll see if cunningham is teh exception to the rule

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to prolate0spheroids comment:

His moves usually make perfect sense in retrospect, but he's like sixty steps ahead of everyone else.  Just glad he coaches our team and not someone else's  . . . 

"I resign as HC of the NYJ" may just be the prettiest words in the English language . . . if that really is English . . . 

" His moves usually make perfect sense in retrospect,"

he is not beyond mistakes either.
    hes not god (or a god; though he might be the football eqivelent of a demi-god or halfgod) 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

This is what makes the Pats so fun, fascinating and inscrutable to watch. Watching BB is like watching a chess match except we are still playing checkers! I rarely have an idea of what is coming next. 

not to spoilt the party, i am a bb appreciator, but it wasnt brilliant last year not having a worthy backup for hern and gronk, in a offense predicated on having 2 elite tes, in case they went down with injury (which i pined for all year) and cost us a s.b.  i do note frequently that he learned that lesson and now we have 5 legit tes, or 4 and 1 te/wr (though one is currently injured)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to NYC's comment:

not to spoilt the party, i am a bb appreciator, but it wasnt brilliant last year not having a worthy backup for hern and gronk, in a offense predicated on having 2 elite tes, in case they went down with injury (which i pined for all year) and cost us a s.b.  i do note frequently that he learned that lesson and now we have 5 legit tes, or 4 and 1 te/wr (though one is currently injured)

It probably wasn't a great idea to cut Sanders and his other two safeties (although I'm glad he cut Merriweather) and then be left with the bozos we had running around at that spot either, but that is the way it goes...sometimes his brilliance works..sometimes it doesn't.

Sections
Shortcuts