Patriots second round options

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Patriots second round options

What do you see happening or want to happen if it differs with what you think will happen?

Obviously they could use all three picks #44, #48, #53 where they sit or there are several ways they could use them.

Now I know some of these are "Pie in the Sky" as far as the chances they might do this exact thing but these options are mechanicly pausable when you look at point value for picks. The only thing I don't know is do they have someone who they could do the deal with that wants to move up? Its suprising but the more I researched this the more I see why the Patriots trade down when they hold multiple picks... here is an example of what you could do using the draft value chart.

If I was running the draft I would do this... 

I would use #22 and #44 if Spiller was still there and move up to Denvers Pick to take him. Denver is making noise about needing volume so that is a natural fit for that trade... If he isn't there I would stay at 22 and use the pick accordingly for the best available tallent at the positions of need for the Patriots. 
    Lets say Spillers gone... So I would use #44 for the best available tallent at RB, OLB, DE, OL, CB, TE, ILB  not picked in first round.
    I would then use #48 for the next position in the above group.

Here is where it gets interesting...

I would then trade #53  (370 point value) for a 3rd round pick and a 4th round pick which then leaves points value equal to a 7th round pick as well. 

Obviously I like this move for a couple reasons but namely because it makes sense if the Patriots use the first three picks they have for players... that's a lot of $Mullah$ so I don't see them picking more then 3 players in rounds 1 and 2. I could even see them moving up like I mentioned for lets say Spiller and then using #48 for the best DE/OLB on their board and still trading #53 for a 3rd, 4th and 7th. 

We must remember there are a lot of potential costly salaries a few years out with all those second round picks from last years draft as well as the guys like Vollmer they picked late that look to be stars.... I think it is exceedingly likely they trade one of those second round picks down.

Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: Patriots second round options

BTW here is the draft value chart I use:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

dablade, 2nd rd picks are not that much cash.  All 3 2nds would cost us less than 1 decent FA and I dont mean a good FA either

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Mord... I am not talking about the cash to sign them right now I am talking a few years out when we are likely to have a huge number of high draft picks could be as many as 8 coming to the end of their rookie contracts around the same time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I see what u mean, but u are also assuming all are good.  Some will get tendered, some will be re-signed early I hope, some will be extended.  Too many good players is never an issue I am worried about.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Here's what I'd like to see with the first 4 picks.

22- WR Golden Tate- The current # 2 and future #1 receiver.

44- TE Aaron Hernandez- Fast, quick, versatile and athletic offense weapon that BB can move all over the field.

48- Toby Gerhart- Their future #1 RB and fan favorite.

53- DE Alex Carrington- Smart, high character kid with the ideal height and length of a BB 3-4 DE (6-5 285), he has the ability to get after the QB and make plays behind the LOS and is stout vs. the run. 

I don't think they force an OLB in the first four picks, they like tall edge guys and will wait for one, IMO.  There are multiple taller kids (6-4 or taller) that can probably be had from rd 3 on that are intriguing:

Daniel Te'o-Nesheim 6-4 267 Washington
    Austen Lane 6-6 267 Murray State
    Lindsey Witten 6-5 250 Uconn
    George Johnson 6-4 265 Rutgers
    Kevin Basped- 6-5 243 Nevada

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

I think the Pats should stay where they are and not trade anything.  We don't need more picks for next year and this year's draft is considered the deepest in years. 

It's a crapshoot either way.  Half of the first round picks end up being bums, so it's risky to move up.  I think BB likes to pick in the 2nd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Here's a few players who should be available for us in the 2nd round-

ILB Spikes
    WR Lafell
    TE Gresham
    OLB Sapp
    RB  Best
    RB Gerhart
    DE Wooten
    WR Gilyard
    TE Gronkowski
    ILB Sean Lee

To me, that seems like a really good list and I'd rather have 3 of those guys than trading up for one guy in the first.  Include whoever we select at #22 and we are golden.  We also have two 1st Rounders in next year, (probably a top 10). 

The Dynasty is coming back in a big way!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree there are a lot of great players out there this year in the draft compared to past drafts... I have read several accounts that there are roughly 50 players with first round tallent this year compared with the usuall 25 or so in average years which is why the Patriots have dropped out of the first a lot over the recent past due to value of who they wanted compared to where they were picking.  I probably shouldn't say this but I will... it is almost impossible (I said Almost) for the Patriots to mess this draft up with all the early picks they have and the level of tallent available.

I am just glad the 2010 Draft has made me interested again in the draft... like I mentioned elsewhere this is the first year I have been interested in the Draft since 2007.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I really like Alex Carrington. Would be a nice part of our defense he can rush the passer but doesn't give up anything agaisnt the run. Also like you said high character guy and SMART just like the Patriots like!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots second round options:
    Here's a few players who should be available for us in the 2nd round- ILB Spikes WR Lafell TE Gresham OLB Sapp RB  Best RB Gerhart DE Wooten WR Gilyard TE Gronkowski ILB Sean Lee To me, that seems like a really good list and I'd rather have 3 of those guys than trading up for one guy in the first.  Include whoever we select at #22 and we are golden.  We also have two 1st Rounders in next year, (probably a top 10).  The Dynasty is coming back in a big way!
    Posted by PatsFanGermany
    You forgot the one name you should have written in Tim Tebow is coming to Boston if he's available in the 2nd round.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Here's what I'd like to see with the first 4 picks. 22- WR Golden Tate- The current # 2 and future #1 receiver. 44- TE Aaron Hernandez- Fast, quick, versatile and athletic offense weapon that BB can move all over the field. 48- Toby Gerhart- Their future #1 RB and fan favorite. 53- DE Alex Carrington- Smart, high character kid with the ideal height and length of a BB 3-4 DE (6-5 285), he has the ability to get after the QB and make plays behind the LOS and is stout vs. the run.  I don't think they force an OLB in the first four picks, they like tall edge guys and will wait for one, IMO.  There are multiple taller kids (6-4 or taller) that can probably be had from rd 3 on that are intriguing: Daniel Te'o-Nesheim 6-4 267 Washington Austen Lane 6-6 267 Murray State Lindsey Witten 6-5 250 Uconn George Johnson 6-4 265 Rutgers Kevin Basped- 6-5 243 Nevada
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Love the first three, especially Gerhart. Hope he's still there at 48. Carrington, not so much. I'm reading that he doesn't have the speed and quickness to be a factor as a pass rusher.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1137271?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots second round options : Love the first three, especially Gerhart. Hope he's still there at 48. Carrington, not so much. I'm reading that he doesn't have the speed and quickness to be a factor as a pass rusher. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1137271?tag=pageRow;pageContainer
    Posted by unclealfie

Thanks.

As for Carrington, his burst is adequate, but not ideal and would be a bigger deal if he were a 4-3 DE however in NE he'll be a 3-4 DE and asked to do the dirty work, occupy double teams and clog run lanes on the inside where his lack of pure burst to turn the corner consistently will be minimized.  I think he'll be extremely effective in that role as he generally plays with good leverage, and is stout at the POA vs. double teams.  He's an instinctive kid that's shown a good use of hands and has the quickness, upper body strength and long arms to consistently keep defenders away from his body allowing him to push the pocket and pick up some sacks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Carrington's "lack" of speed is negligable in a 3-4 DE because he will be asked to stpo the run first and rush second. His hands as was mentioned as well as his smarts football wise leads me to believe he will be a solid patriot type player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Never heard of Carrington until now.  He's put up really good numbers.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DE/Alex-Carrington.php

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Spikes and Best in round 2.  Pick #22 had better be a pass rusher. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

With all the holes on defense any suggestion about taking Tate in the first round is completely absurd. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

I am not sure who they will be targeting, but it really wouldnt surprise me if BB traded our first in '11 for another 2nd this year. This is such a deep draft, and next years will probably be very weak. I think we could get better value with that extra 2nd. This might be enticing to another team, as there will most likely be a rookie salary cap next season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

The whole reason why BB traded for Oakland's 2011 1st rounder in the first place was to avoid paying a rookie all that guaranteed money.   2011 is when those rules are supposed to change. 

It makes absolutely no sense to try to trade back into 2010.  If BB wanted a 2010 1st rounder, he could've had it back in August.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

Some WR the should certainly be on the board in the 2nd:

Carlton Mitchell, South Florida
    Andre Roberts, The Citadel
    Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech
    Jacoby Ford, Clemson
    Riley Cooper, Florida

The Pats should certainly target one of these guy in the 2nd, as WR is of the utmost importance.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Thanks for your concern leon .  By the way did your team find a real QB yet.  Toodle Loo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

hughes
    Gradkowski   - we need a good blocking and catching TE and he certainly fits that mold. if we take him and get jimmy graham in the 4th we would be pretty set at TE.
    veldheer OT (hillsdale) <----- this guy is going to be amazing. (vollmer 2.0)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I would not be totally suprised to trade our 1st next year for a 2nd this year, or vise versa.  Nothing BB does would suprise me.  I could even see a trade of picks for bodies like Olsen, or a LB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Now that we know Crumpler is almost locked up the first part of the plan I posted on here is underway... The Patriots want to switch to a more power based possesion offense and Crumpler was the first piece, CJ Spiller will be piece #2 if he is there at Denvers pick. If not they stay at 22 and use it for the DE or OLB they need. And draft Best in the 2nd round.  Kind of neat that my friend told me about this and I posted it almost a week ago.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

dablade, spiller is not a back for a power game.  That would be more, Dwyer, Gerhart etc

Sections
Shortcuts