Patriots should trade Maroney and draft pick for Clinton Portis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Patriots should trade Maroney and draft pick for Clinton Portis

no. I think Portis is long in the tooth. I'd consider a late second rounder for Marion Barber  or an early second rounder for Brandon Marshall....

Otherwise, I think we should stay the course and fix other holes...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

No way, don't waste a draft pick on an older RB.  They've already got a few older RB's, don't need another one especially if it costs a pick. 

Just draft a RB and get one that's young.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

I am not a big Maroney fan but i would rather have him than Portis. I think portis is 3 beers shy of a six pack. lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Just another guy in the grand scheme of Shanahan. he doesn't believe in the one RB offense and he designs his offenses off of his blocking schemes.So I don't think Shanahan cares who does the running so much as who does the blocking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

he's older, and also a HUGE distraction

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

Would the first round pick from the Raiders for 2011 be a good way to acquire a RB?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

I'm going to say this every time someone posts about getting another RB
    NOT UNTIL THE OLINE IS FIXED!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Portic isn't exactly old, at 28, but he has a ridiculous number of carries and too many miles on the odometer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots should trade Maroney and draft pick for Clinton Portis:
    no. I think Portis is long in the tooth. I'd consider a late second rounder for Marion Barber  or an early second rounder for Brandon Marshall.... Otherwise, I think we should stay the course and fix other holes...
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

Lemme get this straight. Portis is long in the tooth but you want Barber, who has played a full 16 game schedule in his career once?? I could see B.Marsh but he aint going anywhere for less the #22.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

uh, no thanks. THis is one 'Cane I don't want on the Pats. no work ethic what so ever left 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots should trade Maroney and draft pick for Clinton Portis:
    In Response to Re: Patriots should trade Maroney and draft pick for Clinton Portis : Lemme get this straight. Portis is long in the tooth but you want Barber, who has played a full 16 game schedule in his career once?? I could see B.Marsh but he aint going anywhere for less the #22.
    Posted by datdude401

Barber runs hard, north-south.  I like him tons better than what we got.

But, I'd rather not work on the running game at all at this time. As many other's have said, we have more pressing needs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

True, I agree with that. But week 5 when he's out we're right where we left of. No factor back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RealtyPats. Show RealtyPats's posts

Portis is significantly better than Maroney, we would have to incorporate a draft pic as well.  This is not what the pats need.  We are rebuilding, getter younger, we need rookies, young new guys.  If the Pats were a player or two from a super bowl then yes let's do it.  We got our a$$es kicked 1st playoff game last year (not bad for a rebuilding team and recovering QB). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Get a young guy full of beer* and vinegar in the draft...we've had the old and cranky RBs for too long.

*A four letter word that gets a thumbs up from the censors

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

focus on defense, keep marnoney

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Portis is a clown and a cancer, he is at the end of his career we already have three guys who are towards the end except they don't have the character issues Portis does.  I would rather have a 5th round pick for LM to pickup a WR like Easly.  At RB I hope the Pats pick Ben Tate or Toby Gerhart.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

rather draft a 5th or 6th rounder, they seem to be bringing their "A" games

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Even though Shanny traded (?) Portis. He still had success in Shanny's zone running scheme. You'd think they'd give him a shot to compete with Parker and Johnson. He's got to be at least as good as those 2 and is familiar with the scheme.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots should trade Maroney and draft pick for Clinton Portis : Lemme get this straight. Portis is long in the tooth but you want Barber...
    Posted by datdude401[/QUOTE]

I don't want either one.  The RBs they have are just fine.  If they need another, use nothing higher than a 5 on that position.  It's not a need area, why make it one?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]Portis is significantly better than Maroney, we would have to incorporate a draft pic as well...
    Posted by RealtyPats[/QUOTE]

Portis: 124 carries, 494 yds., 4.0 ypc
    Maroney: 194 carries, 757 yds., 3.9 ypc

Please define "significantly better".  Portis was good back in the day, now he's not.  You can find this type of production from undrafted free agents, better in fact and at a fraction of the pay. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

LAST WORD OUT OF DENVER(MOSTLY THE MEDIA) WAS THAT THE PRICE FOR MARSHALL WAS A SECOND SEEING TEAMS WERE HARDLY BANGING DOWN THE DOORS TO GET MARSHALL.PERSONALLY,I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT AFTER ALL THE TALK ABOUT THE DISCORD IN THE LOCKERROOM LAST YEAR THAT THEY WOULD BRING MARSHALL IN BUT B.B. HAS DONE THE UNEXPECTED MORE THAN HIS SHARE OF THE TIME(ASK THE FOLKS WHO PUT TOGETHER THE MOCK DRAFTS..B.B.HAS OFTEN BEEN THE BANE OF THEIR LIVES).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots should trade Maroney and draft pick for Clinton Portis : Portis: 124 carries, 494 yds., 4.0 ypc Maroney: 194 carries, 757 yds., 3.9 ypc Please define "significantly better".  Portis was good back in the day, now he's not.  You can find this type of production from undrafted free agents, better in fact and at a fraction of the pay. 
    Posted by Muzwell

I don't know where those portis stats came from but they're misleading. He only had 124 carries last year but it wad in only eight games. He still had an 6.3 yard average, his lowest ever.  He had almost 1500 yards and a 7.8 yard average in 16 games in  2008.

http://www.nfl.com/players/clintonportis/profile?id=POR792942

He gained well over 1000 yard in 6 of his eight seasons and he's only 28.

I give up maroney baloney and draft change for him any day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I think there is a need for a power back to help finish games.  That is a younger, healthier Lamont Jordan. Draft a power running RB, which will be there in round 4-5.

They could go for someone like Gerhart in rd 2.  He's a power runner, but also a great pass receiver and could help considerably in the short passing game as well. He'd really help to address two needs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The only other RB I would bring to the Pats this year is Ben Tate. No to Portis, Gerhart or whoever else people have in mind. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ol44. Show Ol44's posts

I absolutely agree with Harley.
    No RBs (and receivers I might ad) until the OL is fixed first.