Patriots sign DB vincent fuller

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

Patriots sign DB vincent fuller

Well he has exp so thats a thumbs up. They might put him at safety

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: Patriots sign DB vincent fuller

Everything I can find says he was placed on injured reserve by the Lions earlier this year. I did not know players could sign with another team after going on IR. Anyone have any idea how that works?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots sign DB vincent fuller:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots sign DB vincent fuller : They release him and pay him an "injury settlement".
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

Interesting, you always here that IR means out for the year in the NFL. I just assumed you could not go play for another team. You learn something everyday.

I wonder how healthy he is if Detroit put him on IR (rather than just pay him and cut him) in the first place.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

Why not just pick up a homeless guy off the street with a wooden leg and have him play corner. Isn't that pretty much the same thing as signing this guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Patriots sign DB vincent fuller:
    [QUOTE]Well he has exp so thats a thumbs up. They might put him at safety
    Posted by No-Mercy-Defence[/QUOTE]

Floyd Reese drafted him when Floyd was Titans GM. Vincent is coming off an elbow injury but is ready to go.  I have read Vincent is dedicated player who plays with high intensity and is a work out warrior. He is a safety but can play all DB positions. Sounds like he is a great find.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Patriots sign DB vincent fuller : Floyd Reese drafted him when Floyd was Titans GM. Vincent is coming off an elbow injury but is ready to go.  I have read Vincent is dedicated player who plays with high intensity and is a work out warrior. He is a safety but can play all DB positions. Sounds like he is a great find.
    Posted by Clay73[/QUOTE]

Don't kid yourself.

Lets just hope he's not worse than our current DBs. That's all we can hope for. And the bar is very low. We EASILY have the worst active DBs in all of NFL with Ihedigbo, Slater, Edelman, Molden, Jones, Brown and Ventrone. I don't think I've ever seen a poorer bunch of DBs in one team. Infact come to think of it, almost none of these guys played Defense with us last year (only Brown?) and all of them missed offseason with the Patriots on defense. 

We can only hope that Fuller is better than this sorry lot. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Based on what I've read this is a good signing.  Versatile, tough, hard working guy.  Rather typical of BB type of player.  Second coming of Rodney Harrison? Hardly.  Contribute down the stretch? I think so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He seems like a solid depth pick up. He really can't be worse then what we have? I mean seriously Slater is currently our best active S until Chung comes back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE]He seems like a solid depth pick up. He really can't be worse then what we have? I mean seriously Slater is currently our best active S until Chung comes back.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Still waiting.  I sure hope this doesn't mean Chung isn't coming back.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots sign DB vincent fuller : Still waiting.  I sure hope this doesn't mean Chung isn't coming back.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

According to the Extra Points section yesterday:

Patrick Chung returned to the field after missing all of last week; however, as noted it is a walkthrough, so at this point we can't read too much into his potentially playing on Saturday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Everything I can find says he was placed on injured reserve by the Lions earlier this year. I did not know players could sign with another team after going on IR. Anyone have any idea how that works?
    Posted by FrnkBnhm[/QUOTE]

He was given a injury settlement and was released making him a FA.  Sometimes player go on IR although they will get healthy during the season because teams need the roster spot.  He was not a starter so they IR him to bring in a healthy body, Pats do the same all teams do this. 

I remember Bodden saying he could had played towards the end of the season he was on IR but because of IR rules he misses the full year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejusox21. Show ejusox21's posts

WHO???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots sign DB vincent fuller : Still waiting.  I sure hope this doesn't mean Chung isn't coming back.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

That is my main concern. Maybe he is an insurance policy for Chung. Fuller may have seven years of experience, but he has never really been a starter (5 career starts) so you have to assumet this is just about adding depth in the defensive backfield.

One thing is curious though, how did our offense get some complicated that an former three-time All Pro WR cannot figure it out, but our defense so simple that players can come in from off the street in week 16 and people expect them to contribute?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots sign DB vincent fuller : Interesting, you always here that IR means out for the year in the NFL. I just assumed you could not go play for another team. You learn something everyday. I wonder how healthy he is if Detroit put him on IR (rather than just pay him and cut him) in the first place.

The rule about not being able to play for remainder of the the season for the team that put you on IR is designed more to prevent teams from using the IR list as a way to stockpile players than to prevent injured guys from playing once they're healed.  So a team can't bring back a guy they put on IR, but if they release the guy he's a free agent and can sign and play anywhere he wants. 

Detroit released Fuller about two weeks ago, so they probably didn't see him being in their long-term future.  Either that or Fuller asked for a release because he wanted to be a free agent.  Fuller's been a back-up his whole career, but he did get on the field most games and did make a few plays during his six seasons with the Titans (6 career interceptions--4 of which were returned for TDs, 16 passes defensed, 2 forced fumbles, 2 sacks, 134 tackles, 28 assists).  If he's healthy, he may get a chance to start on the Pats just because our secondary is such a mess. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots sign DB vincent fuller : That is my main concern. Maybe he is an insurance policy for Chung. Fuller may have seven years of experience, but he has never really been a starter (5 career starts) so you have to assumet this is just about adding depth in the defensive backfield. One thing is curious though, how did our offense get some complicated that an former three-time All Pro WR cannot figure it out, but our defense so simple that players can come in from off the street in week 16 and people expect them to contribute?

The thing is Fuller is more of a FS then a SS so I'm not concerned about him being insurance for Chung. I think it's more of Slater being the starting FS in the post-season? I think that's why Jones was brought in but hasn't proved to be a replacement for Slater. Fuller is another Jones that they are hoping at this point of the year they can catch lighting in a bottle and find a FS.

Actually if you think about it they've been looking for a FS all year. Moore, Jones, and now Fuller. I wonder if they are regretting on letting Sanders go or not going a little harder after Goldson. Hopefully this changes in the off-season and they spend a little cash to get a FS and starting CB in their prime

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

The guy from the Vikings?!  Isnt he like 45?

This isnt the same Fuller that played with Randall Cunningham is it?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Vincent Fuller is 29.  Played a number of years with the Titans and earlier this year with Detroit.  IRed, then injury settlement as noted earlier.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Ooops, my bad, that was Cory Fuller, but hey I would take him too.

I still dont know why Lawyer hasnt been called yet. Although he did play a lot longer than I expected after leaving here...so he may be done.

he outlasted Rodney

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Chung couldnt cover the pass when he was healthy. Being he has not played in a long time he's probably not in football shape. At least he would take the heat off McCourty getting picked on. I'm afraid we might just have to go with what we have.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

what about bodden?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Well they could definitely use bodies at safety. I went through the Gamebooks and checked who started. While CB has been pretty steady (Arrington and McCourty have each started 12 of 14 games with Antwan Molden and Dowling each getting two starts). Safety is another matter.
    Here is the list (and this includes two games where they started 5 DB's the NFL lists the extra DB as a safety even if a guy like Bodden is technically a third corner):
    J. Ihedigbo 10 starts
    P. Chung 7 starts
    J. Barrett 4 starts
    S. Moore 3 starts
    M. Slater 3 starts
    S. Brown 2 starts
    N. Jones 1 start
    L. Bodden 1 start

Injuries have certainly been a problem, but there was a lack of depth going into the season. I understood why they wanted to get rid of Meriweather, but James Sanders is still a mystery to me. He has started 6 of 13 games for a playoff team. I certainly do not understand cutting ties with both of them just before the season started... 

They went into the year with Chung, Barrett, Brown and Ihedigbo. Barrett lost his starting job long before he got hurt and the obviously do not trust Brown as a starter (since week 3 they have started Ihedigbo, Moore, Slater and Nate Jones over him).