Patriots sign defensive lineman Fanene to three-year deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Patriots sign defensive lineman Fanene to three-year deal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/patriots-sign-defensive-lineman-fanene-to-three-year-deal/

Scout.com’s Aaron Wilson reports that the Patriots have signed versatile defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene to a three-year contract.

Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe has confirmed the news. Fanene, who can play both defensive end and defensive tackle at 6-foot-4 and 292 pounds, set a career high with 6.5 sacks last season. He turns 30 years old next week.

Fanene figures to play end in New England’s 3-4 looks and kick to tackle on passing downs.

He spent his first seven NFL seasons with the Bengals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Re: Patriots sign defensive lineman Fanene to three-year deal

So, this is their starting upgrade next to Wilfork where Love will probably move to more of a reserve role for more grooming.  In 4-3 sub looks, Pryor is the DT, hopefully, because he looked pretty good.

Good signing.  Love can keep learning and a more experienced guy can improve the role now.

I admittedly don't know much about him, but they were either going to do this in the draft or address it in FA. They still may go for it in the draft.  This probably means BB wants to run more 3-4 next year, too.

This would mean Cunningham and Markell Carter will be involved, and hopefully Anderson can be resigned.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I would have preferred younger, but atleast he is not an old 30 y/o. He played part time most of his career. I remember when he started playing well a few years back.

The experience factor is there and this tells me we will most likely remain a base 4-3 team with ability to go 3-4.

I like the signing because now all u need is to draft one D-lineman early and can also get a OLB or RB/S/WR with the other pick.

I like the idea of shoring up as much as possible in free agency in order to be more flexible and go after players in the draft that arent NEEDY....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I can see no downside to this signing. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Hopefully the injury history is a thing of the past - 2 separate stints with hamstring problems.  The Pats have had enough D linemen go down in the past  Especially last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

Fills a position you were going to address. Now they don't need to use a pick on one. I doubt they'll go offense in the draft, either. He took 2 RBs last year, I'm sure the focus will be on the D. I also can't see them signing a WR in the first two rounds. They usually get burnt. Come the weekend after the sharks have had their feed we'll see what else (if anything) they'll do in FA. I sure hope that isn't it!