Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead

Ian R. Rapoport RapSheet Wow! I'm reporting that the Patriots have signed former Jets WR/RB Danny Woodhead for their 53rd spot. Game on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Woodhead

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead

LOL----Here we go!

Ian R. Rapoport RapSheet

I wonder if the Patriots will make Danny Woodhead a captain like the Jets made Kevin O'Connell last year...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Report: Pats add possible spy in Woodhead
    -Tim Graham

Whether he plays a down for the New England Patriots on Sunday, this reported move at least should give New York Jets coach Rex Ryan that much more to worry about when his head hits the pillow Saturday night.

Boston Herald beat writer www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/09/18/game-on-the-patriots-have-added-former-jets-player-danny-woodhead-to-their-roster/" target="_blank">Ian R. Rapoport reports the Patriots have signed running back Danny Woodhead, whom the Jets released this week.

The Patriots had room on their 53-man roster after trading running back Laurence Maroney on Tuesday.

Woodhead was a popular Jet because he played much bigger than his listed 5-foot-9 frame. Ryan loved him, but had to make a move to get speedy receiver David Clowney back on the roster after Monday night's offensive debacle against the Baltimore Ravens.

Think Patriots head coach Bill Belichick will pump Woodhead for Jets intel?

Woodhead wasn't around long enough to get the Jets' specific game plan for the Patriots on Sunday at the Meadowlands. But he did spend the entire summer, training camp and all four preseason games with the Jets.

An overachiever like Woodhead, who had scrap to make the team, must've studied his playbook intently. You better believe he knows how the Jets' offense works, and since teams do install game plans for early opponents during training camp, he probably picked up on a few ideas the Jets want to apply.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/18408/report-pats-add-possible-spy-in-woodhead

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Peter King SI_PeterKing That's amazing, the Patriots signing, activating Danny Woodhead. That is a shot across Rex Ryan's bow--and he will give Belichick Jet dirt.

Mike Reiss MikeReiss Nothing surprises in this rivalry. >> RT: @liamhatton: Similar to Jets signing Kevin O'Connell last year, Woodhead could be made a captain.
  5. Adam Schefter Adam_Schefter Funny RT @RapSheet: RapSheet: Game on: Patriots have added former Jets player Danny Woodhead to their roster http://bit.ly/9Tl1U4 #bh_sports

6. Peter King SI_PeterKing

in 2004, I got to see Bill Belichick's football library in his Mass. home. "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu was on the shelf. Et tu, Woodhead.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from koft. Show koft's posts

In Response to Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead:
    [QUOTE]RapSheet    Wow! I'm reporting that the Patriots have signed former Jets WR/RB Danny Woodhead for their 53rd spot. Game on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Woodhead
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

BB is one smart SOB, and a good evaluator of talent as well...but this signing has to 'get the goat' of rex ryan, as ryan sang the praises of woodhead long and hard before releasing him, which kind of makes Rex look like a BIG Phoney...all bluster, like kicking that field goal when it was 4th and less than a yard at the 3 yard line. now we got this crazy little back that ryan claimed to love so much. anyway...maybe BB feels woodhead could be the eventual replacement for kevin faulk. brilliant move.    

• You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i didnt watch hard knocks or any jets preseason games. does this kid have any talent or is he just a spy for the week? i really expected murrell to get maroney's roster spot..but this is much more interesting.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Woodhead was probably my favorite player on the Jets. I'm glad the Pats picked him up, but I kind of doubt that he's here for the long term.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from koft. Show koft's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead:
    [QUOTE]Woodhead was probably my favorite player on the Jets. I'm glad the Pats picked him up, but I kind of doubt that he's here for the long term.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

why do you say that? lack of talent? small stature? injury prone? mediocre running back? ...and thus will never be another kevin faulk in you opinion?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

He will be cut on monday.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I read up on Danny Woodhead, he was a great division II RB. He had a great pro day, running a 4.38 40yd and benching 225lb 20 times. His pro day numbers really opened some eyes. He seems like he could be a pretty good 3rd down back. He caught a lot of passes out of the backfield in college.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead : why do you say that? lack of talent? small stature? injury prone? mediocre running back? ...and thus will never be another kevin faulk in you opinion?
    Posted by koft[/QUOTE]
    I think he's a pure decoy, just a BB mindgame. I think that if they wanted to really involve him with the team, they would have signed him earlier in the week instead of at the last possible minute.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Maybe the Jets will pick up Buddy Farnham?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead : I think he's a pure decoy, just a BB mindgame. I think that if they wanted to really involve him with the team, they would have signed him earlier in the week instead of at the last possible minute.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Maybe he could potentially make the team or practice squad since they traded Maroney. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

It is a solid move. This guy has talent and is a jack of all trades guy.......wr/ returner....he is better then who we had. BB is just making the bottom of the roster more solid. And just to get under Ryan's craw and gives him something else to think about. Brilliant move by brilliant coach........

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]He will be cut on monday.
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09[/QUOTE]

Bingo

• You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Apparently still waters  do in fact  run very deep...

A masterstroke distraction by a master...

Did I just hear an F-bomb followed by a MOFO?

Football pundits across the country gotta be pinching themselves with the potential of this storyline...Mandatory Depends time....

Luv it.....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I haven't read the Post yet but I'm headed therre after I post my comment here. This is not a practice drill the guy has talent, also he can spell either Edelman or Welker because he's from that mold although Edelman is a strapping 6'0 guy..

• You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Woodhead   hahahaha

• You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Forget "Ted's Excellent Adventure,"  this is much better....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

[QUOTE]Apparently still waters  do in fact  run very deep... A masterstroke distraction by a master... Did I just hear an F-bomb followed by a MOFO? Football pundits across the country gotta be pinching themselves with the potential of this storyline...Mandatory Depends time.... Luv it.....
    Posted by threejak[/QUOTE]

anyone else understand this?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 3SB-rings. Show 3SB-rings's posts

Thanks flutie66, you're not alone.  I feel better about myself now.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

5-foot-7, 197-pound Danny Woodhead, pride of Chadron State. His 40 time registered between 4.33 and 4.38 seconds, depending on whose clock you were looking at. He had a 38 1/2-inch vertical. He also put up 225 pounds 20 times, which wasn't even as good as he wanted.

I like the look of this kid as a back up running back, if he can play special teams he will make the squad.  I don't think BB would sign somebody prior to a game ala Jests, it reeks of desperation...

This guy could end up replacing Faulk when he retires, become a change of pace back or even get converted to receiver though I don't think we have room for another one.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead : anyone else understand this?
    Posted by flutie66[/QUOTE]

June Cleaver speaks jive. Let's get her take.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

I think JETS are going to regret this one for many
    years to come. Here re Danny Woodhead New York Jets preseason highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skzII7iUdwY&feature=related

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Let me add to Wozzy's scores.  Woodhead's 60 yard shuttle time was 11.2 seconds.  He would have been first among all running backs in the 2010 combine and third among all wide receivers with those numbers.  He can almost do what Wes Welker can do in terms of lateral explosion.  (Note:  not even Welker can beat Edelman).

5'7" players don't last forever in the NFL.  However, he's on the right team.  Welker can teach him the art of evading bigger players. 

I really like the Pats picking up a running back.  Their situation yesterday was three extremely old (but good for now) RBs and Benny the Law Firm.  Apparently Maroney had no interest in practicing, had fumbleitis last year, and ran upright so he kept getting injured.

The Saturday signing's timing could be a real kick in the pants for the Jets.  They have signals that they were prepared to use on Sunday.  Even if Woodhead keeps his mouth shut, how does Ryan know Woodhead kept his mouth shut?  Ryan can try his best to switch up the signals but panic among the players may ensue.  The Jets players also had certain tendencies in preseason which might now be reported to the Pats. 

Finally, Bill Belichick now knows where in the new Giants stadium (naturally the Jints get top billing in the name) Rex hides his secret stash of Twinkies.  Not that BB wants any, but this stray piece of knowledge might possibly come in useful for extracting a small favor or two.

• Sections
    Shortcuts