Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Re: Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead

There doesn't have to be any cloak and dagger or psych out reasons for him to be signed. We have the room and he provides a guy BB can go to in a pinch at back, receiver and maybe returns. Interesting article

http://juicedsportsblog.com/2009/05/had-talent-no-one-cared-danny-woodheads-tough-road-to-the-nfl.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I don't know how much intel he'll provide. Listen, if Belichick is fishing for information from this kid on a Friday/Saturday before the game then Belichick's losing his mind. I highly doubt they're going to get some breakthrough from him.

He won't get cut by Monday either.

I think he sticks on the roster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead:
    I don't know how much intel he'll provide. Listen, if Belichick is fishing for information from this kid on a Friday/Saturday before the game then Belichick's losing his mind. I highly doubt they're going to get some breakthrough from him. He won't get cut by Monday either. I think he sticks on the roster.
    Posted by apdynasty23

I'll be rooting for him...what a great story. I think the kid can play, may even prove as good as Sproles if he gets a chance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

sounds like a great athlete and could be a great signing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Woodhead was featured extensively on Hard Knocks; he's gritty, tough, fast, and strong; guys his size have lasted a long time before; he could do it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

If this kids bio wasn't so sad it would be funny.  The kid breaks all the highschool records for rushing in Nebraska but since he's 5'7 he only gets recruited by division II.  I college he breaks records for points, yards, all purpose yards and even hold the all time college rushing record for a while.  His name is among Barry Sanders, Brian Westbrook, and other greats in the record books, but he's in division II so nobody knows what he would do against (or with) division one talent on the field, plus he's still 5'7 (his build is almost identical to Jones Drew at 5'7, 200).  No invite to the Combine so at his pro-day he puts up numbers that are more impressive than any of the backs who did go to the combine division I or otherwise.  Here's a quote from an article I read on Bleacher:

He displayed speed and agility, running times between 4.33 and 4.38 in the 40-yard dash, which would place second overall for all college running backs.

He also posted the best agility time (4.03 seconds), the second-best vertical jump (38.5 in), and the best 60-yard shuttle time (11.2) seconds.

Despite only being 5'7" and weighing in at 200 lbs., Woodhead had the best athletic times, overall, of all the running back prospects in the nation.

If those numbers don't sway you, perhaps a look at his college stats will.

Woodhead, the NCAA's former all-time leading rusher (record recently broken by Mount Union's www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeKPixCSYbg" target="_blank" title="Nate Kmic">Nate Kmic), put up his fourth straight 1,500-yard season in 2007, as well as his fourth straight season with at least 21 touchdowns.

He's also known for his ridiculous 2006 season, in which he compiled over 2,700 rushing yards and 34 touchdowns in just 13 games.

So then the kid goes undrafted and makes the Jets.  They give him a shot in his first regular season game against Philly and what does he do with his 3 carries?  24 yards, 8.0 per attempt.  The Jets then put him on the shelf and he doesn't get a carry the next 5 games and only gets 12 carries in garbage time the rest of the year.

Consider the depth issue the Jets have, Currently they have
    LT- They won't cut a big pick up like him
    Shonne Greene- 3rd rounder last year, can't cut him
    Joe Mcknight- moved up to get him in 4th, teams don't really cut 4th rounders in their rookie year even though he looked like doodoo. 

So you have 3 guys you just can't cut because of your investment and hopes that it will pay off and this kid Woodhead who they love but can't fit him on the roster.

I don't know what he'll do and that's the interesting thing- nobody does.  We don't know if he had played in division I than he would have done anything like he did in division II.  He was a div I talent on a div II school and because of that questions surround him.

All anyone knows is that nobody has been able to stop him anywhere he has ever gone regardless of the talent level of the opposition.  Hopefully we get a chance to see him play with guys on his level for once in his career.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'll say what everyone is thinking, if he was African American he would've been a first rounder. 

Sadly, football is still stuck in the 1930s. Caucasians are swayed to play OL, QB, MLB. African Americans are asked to play DL, OLB, DB, RB. 

Sadly for Woodhead, he was born with the wrong skin color. Good luck to him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

This guy could end up replacing Faulk when he retires, become a change of pace back or even get converted to receiver though I don't think we have room for another one.
    Posted by wozzy

This was mys first thought as well. If he is a keeper it is to help out on special teams and possible replacement back for Faulk....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Sticking strictly to the signing and the player since nothing else matters, timing may be simply coincidental or it may not.  Don't think that matters much since the signing is so close to the game.  If all I've read about this guy is close to accurate then the signing makes sense from a purely footbal perspective.  He may stick around and contribute or he may not.

My 2 cents.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

If this kids bio wasn't so sad it would be funny.  The kid breaks all the highschool records for rushing in Nebraska but since he's 5'7 he only gets recruited by division II.  I college he breaks records for points, yards, all purpose yards and even hold the all time college rushing record for a while.  His name is among Barry Sanders, Brian Westbrook, and other greats in the record books, but he's in division II so nobody knows what he would do against (or with) division one talent on the field, plus he's still 5'7 (his build is almost identical to Jones Drew at 5'7, 200).  No invite to the Combine so at his pro-day he puts up numbers that are more impressive than any of the backs who did go to the combine division I or otherwise.  Here's a quote from an article I read on Bleacher: He displayed speed and agility, running times between 4.33 and 4.38 in the 40-yard dash, which would place second overall for all college running backs. He also posted the best agility time (4.03 seconds), the second-best vertical jump (38.5 in), and the best 60-yard shuttle time (11.2) seconds. Despite only being 5'7" and weighing in at 200 lbs., Woodhead had the best athletic times, overall, of all the running back prospects in the nation. If those numbers don't sway you, perhaps a look at his college stats will. Woodhead, the NCAA's former all-time leading rusher (record recently broken by Mount Union's www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeKPixCSYbg " target="_blank" title="Nate Kmic" /> Nate Kmic ), put up his fourth straight 1,500-yard season in 2007, as well as his fourth straight season with at least 21 touchdowns. He's also known for his ridiculous 2006 season, in which he compiled over 2,700 rushing yards and 34 touchdowns in just 13 games. So then the kid goes undrafted and makes the Jets.  They give him a shot in his first regular season game against Philly and what does he do with his 3 carries?  24 yards, 8.0 per attempt.  The Jets then put him on the shelf and he doesn't get a carry the next 5 games and only gets 12 carries in garbage time the rest of the year. Consider the depth issue the Jets have, Currently they have LT- They won't cut a big pick up like him Shonne Greene- 3rd rounder last year, can't cut him Joe Mcknight- moved up to get him in 4th, teams don't really cut 4th rounders in their rookie year even though he looked like doodoo.  So you have 3 guys you just can't cut because of your investment and hopes that it will pay off and this kid Woodhead who they love but can't fit him on the roster. I don't know what he'll do and that's the interesting thing- nobody does.  We don't know if he had played in division I than he would have done anything like he did in division II.  He was a div I talent on a div II school and because of that questions surround him. All anyone knows is that nobody has been able to stop him anywhere he has ever gone regardless of the talent level of the opposition.  Hopefully we get a chance to see him play with guys on his level for once in his career.
    Posted by shenanigan

Terrific post; here's guessing the guy can play in the NFL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

seems kind of late to be adding a guy just to pick up a bit of intel. I don't know how much his info will change our gameplan if any (which I doubt it does), but he may provide some insight to the Jets offense, which I am sure will be helpful.

On the matter of playing...I doubt he is the long term successor for Kevin Faulk. He has versatility which is BB's most coveted trait. I could see this kid sticking on the roster, and be that 4th/5th RB, or possibly working him into the WR game, where we would yet have another slot WR who is small, quick and possibly deadly. 

I wonder if he will see any playing time today? probably doubt it. 

Gotta love the Pats offense having a bunch of versatility, and this guy just adds to that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

seems kind of late to be adding a guy just to pick up a bit of intel. I don't know how much his info will change our gameplan if any (which I doubt it does), but he may provide some insight to the Jets offense, which I am sure will be helpful....I wonder if he will see any playing time today? probably doubt it.  Gotta love the Pats offense having a bunch of versatility, and this guy just adds to that.
    Posted by PatsLifer

I think the intel stuff is overrated.  They already know each other pretty well.  I wouldn't doubt he'd play some on special teams today.  Maybe he makes Slater expendable, finally. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

"All anyone knows is that nobody has been able to stop him anywhere he has ever gone regardless of the talent level of the opposition.  Hopefully we get a chance to see him play with guys on his level for once in his career."

Great post - I have a very good feeling about this kid. From what I’ve learned so far is that he’s got heart and great work ethics. Players like him will play with a chip on their shoulder which makes them more determined and very dangerous. IMO, I believe he is going to make a name for himself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I'll say what everyone is thinking, if he was African American he would've been a first rounder.  Sadly, football is still stuck in the 1930s. Caucasians are swayed to play OL, QB, MLB. African Americans are asked to play DL, OLB, DB, RB.  Sadly for Woodhead, he was born with the wrong skin color. Good luck to him. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

I don't know about "everyone," but the thought never occurred to me.  A first rounder, you're kidding right?

Black players weren't even allowed to play until the late 1940s, and then only a trickle.  About the same timing as baseball. 

In this day and age, it's hard for me to imagine pro personnel guys purposely avoiding guys who can play based on skin color.  This guy is small and played at Nowhere U, that's why he went undrafted.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Apparently still waters  do in fact  run very deep... A masterstroke distraction by a master... Did I just hear an F-bomb followed by a MOFO? Football pundits across the country gotta be pinching themselves with the potential of this storyline...Mandatory Depends time.... Luv it.....
    Posted by threejak

Obviously there are no still waters in your bongs. What the Fbomb are you talking about?????

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crasian. Show crasian's posts

I think people who watched Hardknocks saw how hard this kid can run. I was actually worried that they may have found their own scrappy Eldeman version in a running back. Looks tough! Who knows. If Law firm who was undrafted, Edleman who never caught a pass in college and Brady who was a six round pick can make a difference, why not this kid? If anything it's a great story!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead : I don't know about "everyone," but the thought never occurred to me.  A first rounder, you're kidding right? Black players weren't even allowed to play until the late 1940s, and then only a trickle.  About the same timing as baseball.  In this day and age, it's hard for me to imagine pro personnel guys purposely avoiding guys who can play based on skin color.  This guy is small and played at Nowhere U, that's why he went undrafted.
    Posted by Muzwell

Name 5 white RBs in the league. Now name 5 black QBs.

Woodhead had first round combine scores. He'll be a great weapon for BB and Brady. he won't play this week, but he will in the coming weeks. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead : Name 5 white RBs in the league. Now name 5 black QBs. Woodhead had first round combine scores. He'll be a great weapon for BB and Brady. he won't play this week, but he will in the coming weeks. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

RB's are tough, Fargus is the only one I can think of.

QB's of the top of my head- Vince Young, Donovan Mcnabb, Mike Vick, David Gerrard, Jason Campbell, Tavaris Jackson, Josh Freeman, Leftwich.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Might Danny Woodhead be used more as a backup for Edelman who may be injured than as a running back?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

With the emergence of small RB types like Sproles, MJD, and Ray Rice who can also catch passes (and are roughly the same size as Woodhead) the last few years, I wonder if the prototypical size expectations for an NFL RB might not be a bit out of date.  RB's today typically can't go through LBers, they must go around them.  If he can be an effective blocker than I'm thinking BB gives him a chance to see what he can do. 

He is by most measurables a superior athlete to the guys mentioned above so I think he has a realistic shot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots sign former Jet WR/RB Danny Woodhead : Name 5 white RBs in the league. Now name 5 black QBs. Woodhead had first round combine scores. He'll be a great weapon for BB and Brady. he won't play this week, but he will in the coming weeks. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Not sure what you're saying here?  Is it that this mighty mite from some Division 2 school that nobody ever heard of wasn't drafted in the first round because he is white?? 

I thought we had moved past this black/white stuff when it came to the NFL.  There have been dozens of black QBs in the NFL.  Just guys playing right now in the early games: Vick, Dixon, VY, Freeman and I'm probably missing somebody.  If there aren't that many white halfbacks, it's because there haven't been that many with the necessary skills.  It's not some conspiracy by NFL personnel guys.  I think they care about winning so they can keep their jobs more than anything else.

Sections
Shortcuts