Patriots sign Will Allen!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Patriots sign Will Allen!

According to Mac's Football Blog and The Bleacher Report, the Patriots have signed Will Allen! Another good move by BB!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Patriots sign Will Allen!

In Response to Patriots sign Will Allen!:
    [QUOTE]According to Mac's Football Blog and The Bleacher Report, the Patriots have signed Will Allen! Another good move by BB!!!
    Posted by jozee76[/QUOTE]

This is an interesting signing.  He is old and also hasn't played on the outside in a while.  That being said: "According to Pro Football Focus, Allen was a top five slot corner in the league last season. His 419 slot snaps were #1 in the league. He was targeted while in coverage once every 7.1 snaps for 5th best in the league. He allowed 0.81 yards per coverage snap for 3rd best in the league. He allowed a reception once every 11.6 coverage snap for 6th best in the league."

He might be able to bring something the the table.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Yep. let's be honest. It would be hard to not upgrade the talent as well as experience level in the secondary last year. They need veteran depth to weed out guys and provide camp competition not jags and guy that were in street clothes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It's kind of hard to get excited about this. The Pats just let double digit sacks walk, and signed a CB who hasn't been relevant in years. 

He is competition and depth, that is all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I love it, but I did want us to sign him a couple years back.

He has always been solid and if he still runs well, I think he is an upgrade to Arrington in the slot.  Arrington was great in zone getting INT's off tip balls,but he isnt ideal in man to man, esp. outside.

Now Arrington can compete with Allen for the slot and hopefull Ras and McCourty can hold down the starting jobs.  Yet another need filled in F/A. My checklist there is almost done.

Veteran CB- Check
    Veteran Safety- Check
    Veteran D-lineman - Check
    Veteran WR- Check, Check
    Resign Special teamers - Check

I can Honestly say Now, That is B.B. really wanted, he could move up for an impact player without compromising our draft needs. Depending on what they do with Wes, they could really have a lot of Ammo. Richardson is a possibility IF B.B. really likes him. Could also possible get the Best D-Lineman out there.

I am Very Happy so far with B.B.'s under the radar moves. He will likely come much cheaper than Shawntae Spencer who I also liked but signed with Oakland.

Imagine if we gave Anderson the money Buff. did?  B.B. the "G.M." is killin' it Right now

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Bino, if we signed Anderson for 27mill , 8 garuanteed, NO way we could pull of ALL these moves. Anderson was ok, but its a business. Do you want Anderson back at that Price??

Having Allen as a backup is MUCH better than having Molden or Phillip Adams, no?

Relax with Anderson. He was overpaid so be it. We have all our draft pics to use on whatever defenders we need. I have always like W.Allen. Nothing special,but solid and dependable

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

yes i want anderson back..playmaker

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Anderson had the softest double digit sack season I've ever seen.  He came on a bit at the end of the season, but the first 5 or 6 were ALL garbage time.  I think a lot of Pats' fans are remembering the most recent 3 or 4 games and forgetting how invisible he was for the first 14.  I'll miss Carter more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CAPITALIST_AVENGER. Show CAPITALIST_AVENGER's posts

great stats. seriously, what's the point of having julian edelmlman on this team? he's the odd guy out! esp if we get tt, he's DONE!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I thought Anderson really got exposed when Carter went down. He was VERY GOOD as the weak side, QB getter. As the strong side, edge setting, run game helping, QB sacker...ehhh, not so much.

I just won't want to hear people crowing about it as he puts 10+ sack up across from Mario Williams with the other talent they have on that line, it's not even close to the same situation, he's a perfect fit for what they are doing in Buffalo. Good for them, I welcome healthy competition.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

Well, slow starts were common last season. Especially on defense. With a full offseason and his improvement late last year Anderson would have been an asset to the team. I'd have liked to see him back. But not for what the Bills paid. Maybe this is a year BB moves up to grab someone, hopefullt an inpact DE/OLB type. And veteran competition in the secondary is good as well. Even using both firsts to move up they can address both OL and DL in the 2nd and 3rd. I also expect a couple more low-key FA signings before the draft. BJGE signed with the Bengals, so maybe a veteran RB may be on their radar as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Will Allen always seems like he has been solid when healthy. I'm not sure it warrants an exclamation point, but hey i'll take him. It's hard not to improve the secondary at this point. Draft a center and a pass rusher in the first round, get Castillo signed up and make another run all the way!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

I love exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots sign Will Allen!:
    [QUOTE]It's kind of hard to get excited about this. The Pats just let double digit sacks walk, and signed a CB who hasn't been relevant in years.  He is competition and depth, that is all.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

They'll resign Carter and then go draft for DE/OLB.  Carter is more a 3 down guy than Anderson is.  I like Anderson, but he's not worth overpaying for. Plus, Anderson was shopping which meant it was likely some team was going to overpay.

Would you care about Anderson as much if a Courtney Upshaw was taken in Round 1?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

Bass,

Bingo. I know very few here are familiar with Fanene and Trevor Scott, but both of these guys will be effective as pass rushers, especially Scott. He will be two years removed from that ACL tear. We will address the pass rush in the draft as well. The return of Carter (if it happens) can't be overstated. He is a three down player, albeit in a 4-3, but maybe he now becomes the situational pass rusher that Anderson was. We went to 4-3 because of the lockout. BB couldn't employ the 3-4 with no offseason and an abbreviated training camp. We are right back where we need to be. And all of this after being a whisker away from our fourth Lomdardi Trophy! Let's get it on!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Anderson had the softest double digit sack season I've ever seen.  He came on a bit at the end of the season, but the first 5 or 6 were ALL garbage time.  I think a lot of Pats' fans are remembering the most recent 3 or 4 games and forgetting how invisible he was for the first 14.  I'll miss Carter more.
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]

Most Pats fans do remember when a player has 2-3 sacks in the playoffs... they tend to think that is more important than what they did in Sept/Oct... especially when it was ther guys first year in this system

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE] Bass, Bingo. I know very few here are familiar with Fanene and Trevor Scott, but both of these guys will be effective as pass rushers, especially Scott. He will be two years removed from that ACL tear. We will address the pass rush in the draft as well. The return of Carter (if it happens) can't be overstated. He is a three down player, albeit in a 4-3, but maybe he now becomes the situational pass rusher that Anderson was. We went to 4-3 because of the lockout. BB couldn't employ the 3-4 with no offseason and an abbreviated training camp. We are right back where we need to be. And all of this after being a whisker away from our fourth Lomdardi Trophy! Let's get it on!
    Posted by Joel63[/QUOTE]

The issue here is that Fanene and Scott are lateral moves to Carter/Anderson...  It's like Bill just did those under the radar sneaky moves all over again with 2 new players

Now we need to keep Carter, revive Cunningham as a 3-4 DE and add BOTH a DE/DT type like we used to have in Seymour/Warren/B-Ham and get a speedy LB'er who can sit Spikes on passing downs and play in a 4-3

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Will Allen would be more camp fodder to push the guys that will ultimately make this team. I hope he brings his A game to camp and he proves me wrong.

Also most of these indy blogs create news where there is none, I'd wait until they announce it but he would be a decent sign if healthy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Allen probably won't last more than half a season because he's a WWI veteran, but until then he can play well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots sign Will Allen! : Most Pats fans do remember when a player has 2-3 sacks in the playoffs... they tend to think that is more important than what they did in Sept/Oct... especially when it was ther guys first year in this system
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]
    Add in Nov and half of Dec also.

Yeah, it's great that he showed up in the playoffs.  It would have been even better, and maybe worth keeping him, if he had shown that kind of production steadily for 5 months instead of 1.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

The Pats needed a veteran presence at CB and Allen is still quick enough to cover the guys in the slot.It is true that 33 years old is getting up there for a corner but there are a number of 33+ CB's in the league who contribute and he has always been a dependable and knowledgeable performer and there is reason to assume that brings a couple of needed attributes to this team.
     A quick thought,Cole was signed primarily for his special teams skills(and he is very good at it)but he may just surprise some folks as a CB as he against the bills last season in his only start but let's face it the Jets group of corners would make it tough for anyone to get any time.I hope they give him a look.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots sign Will Allen! : They'll resign Carter and then go draft for DE/OLB.  Carter is more a 3 down guy than Anderson is.  I like Anderson, but he's not worth overpaying for. Plus, Anderson was shopping which meant it was likely some team was going to overpay. Would you care about Anderson as much if a Courtney Upshaw was taken in Round 1?
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Agreed Rusty: Pats may have to move up to get that impact DE/OLB. Also do you think with all the FA DB signings that Belichick is now 'gun shy' to go for one early? I think he is!

ON RB. Never know but I've a feeling that if Trent Richardson falls to pick 18 or so, BB will pull the trigger and trade up! With all these added value guys in the fold I'm expecting Belichick to do an about face and Trade up twice to get the 2 impact players. Keeping a healthy Carter also.

Take care ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

I wonder when leigh Bodden will get signed......I wish we could have HIM back.  Oh well, maybe Allen will be ok(not betting the farm he'll make it through Training Camp)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

bump

Sections
Shortcuts