Patriots sign WR Lavelle Hawkins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Patriots sign WR Lavelle Hawkins

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Well it looks like you need the clue, Rusty Jr.  Gronk and Hern were on the field for 1 game last year.  They also BOTH lost time the year before and are injured NOW!  Amandola missed 20 in 2 years and has played one full season in his career. ... Boyce injured, Jones injured, Edelman injured, a 68 yr old bottle of molasses.  Glad you see winners because the rest of us see hot tubs, casts, stretchers and walking boots.

What happens when NONE are on the field together next year?

Where are the play makers of yester year?  Wasn't there a cap then too?

We don't even know if there is a #1 on this team.  Are we now counting on guys that never played a NFL snap to be THAT guy?

Play makers win games, not guys more likely to catch a cold from getting in and out of the hot tub, than they are to catch a pass.

Branch missed more games in his first 3 seasons than Gronk or Hernandez.  Givens never played a full season.  Patten missed 10 games in 2003.  Even the immortal Troy Brown missed a number of games after the 2001 season.  You need to relax bro. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I would also hasten to add that the Amandola injury issue is overblown, IMO.  Both of his significant injuries were freakish in nature and were suffered on one of the worst playing surfaces in the NFL.  He had no injury history in college.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Well it looks like you need the clue, Rusty Jr.  Gronk and Hern were on the field for 1 game last year.  They also BOTH lost time the year before and are injured NOW!  Amandola missed 20 in 2 years and has played one full season in his career. ... Boyce injured, Jones injured, Edelman injured, a 68 yr old bottle of molasses.  Glad you see winners because the rest of us see hot tubs, casts, stretchers and walking boots.

We don't even know if there is a #1 on this team.  Are we now counting on guys that never played a NFL snap to be THAT guy?

Play makers win games, not guys more likely to catch a cold from getting in and out of the hot tub, than they are to catch a pass.

Branch missed more games in his first 3 seasons than Gronk or Hernandez.  Givens never played a full season.  Patten missed 10 games in 2003.  Even the immortal Troy Brown missed a number of games after the 2001 season.  You need to relax bro. 

In his defense, we also didnt count on Brady scoring 30 a game back then as we had a dominant defense. So unless you think A.Wilson is gonna make this Defense dominant again all by himself, I think he makes very valid points. The last 5 years we have saw brady carry us thru the regular season offensively. So what happens when all of a sudden you take away his blanket and go with rookies??? noone knows so its valid and currenly those 2 tight ends are recovering and gronks status in the air. Nothing to throw a party about, thats for sure. hawkins is Edlemans replacement, just not gonna say but the timing and Eds injury sais so. Lets hope being a veteran, he can catch on and return punts cuz its def. a concern right now, imo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In his defense, we also didnt count on Brady scoring 30 a game back then as we had a dominant defense. So unless you think A.Wilson is gonna make this Defense dominant again all by himself, I think he makes very valid points. The last 5 years we have saw brady carry us thru the regular season offensively. So what happens when all of a sudden you take away his blanket and go with rookies??? noone knows so its valid and currenly those 2 tight ends are recovering and gronks status in the air. Nothing to throw a party about, thats for sure. hawkins is Edlemans replacement, just not gonna say but the timing and Eds injury sais so. Lets hope being a veteran, he can catch on and return punts cuz its def. a concern right now, imo

5 years?  We had a pretty good defense on that 2007 team if I recall.  Even the 2009 D for all it's fleas rated in the top 5 in scoring.  And as great as Brady has been passing behind one of the better offensive lines in football or to the likes of Gronk, Hernandez, Welker or Moss the past 5 years hasn't been so bad either.  I agree we'll need some luck for no one to miss any time next season, but guys miss time every year.  The sky is not falling.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

In response to rxmsg's comment:

Woohoo.... yawn !!!   Another "value" signing ??  Is this even worthy news or post?

He wont make the team,  Jones wont make the team, Jenkins won't make the team.

Edelman is hurt, Hernandez s comming off shoulder auyrgery, Gronkwoski is having issues with his forearm, Amendola will get hurt in mini-camp.  Boyce has a broken foot.  Dobson must have some unkown ailement that we dont know about yet... it's a prerequesite as a BB draftee of FA signing.

I feel bad for Brady... they're wasting is last years wth fragile players or has beens or never will be's.  

BB is betting on all the TE's and Wr's getting and staying healthy... if that doesn't happen this passing attack is in serious trouble

poor brady having to throw to two of the best tight ends in the league, and amendola......get a clue.

Hey,  I'm not saying Hernandez, Gronkowski & Amendola are chumps... all are certainly very talented... but what good is all that talent sitting on the sidelines nursing injuries?

It's really a head scratcher trying to rationlize the injury issue on this team... especially at the skill positions.   Save for a handful of players (e.g Moss, Welker, Brown) Brady has had very little talent to throw to when looked at a 12 year span or so.   BB just doesn't seem to value the skill offesnse positions like he does the OL of DL.  The further the postion is from the ball the less he seems value that postion.   And I don't get his apparent facination with injury prone players... value? 

I know all this sounds stupid and irrational but boy it sure does seem to fit and from a fan's perspective very frustrating.   Hey,  Greg Jennings is comming off an injury...why didn't BB jump all over that and sign him?  At least Jennings is talented... Jones?  Hawkins? Jenkins?  not so much.   Camp bodies?  Does anyone really think bringing these guys in as camp bodies is going to transform them in tthe next Jerry Rice?  There are what they are ... !!

Go New England Patients  !!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Well, you can say I need to relax, but I'm tired of these idiots blaming TB for the injured and talentless players around him.  Those guys were injured but there and producing when it mattered most.

This has not been close to true in recent years.  Hel1, 6 or 7 of them

Poor TB, he's got 2 TE's, my azz!  No Gronk and a shell of a hernandez and Welker, is not a play-off team....not to mention the 27-31st ranked D and the 25th-27th ranked Special teams.  That's a problem and it starts at the top!

He's been carrying this team for years with no more stability than a handful of core players,  out of 53, thinking he's magically supposed to pull rabbits out of his hat when that hat is F.O.S.

It's pathetic!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Well, you can say I need to relax, but I'm tired of these idiots blaming TB for the injured and talentless players around him.  Those guys were injured but there and producing when it mattered most.

Poor TB, he's got 2 TE's, my azz!  No Gronk and a shell of a hernandez and Welker, is not a play-off team....not to mention the 27-31st ranked D and the 25th-27th ranked Special teams.  That's a problem and it starts at the top!

He's been carrying this team for years with no more stability than a handful of core players,  out of 53, thinking he's magically supposed to pull rabbits out of his hat when that hat is F.O.S.

It's pathetic!

You spend too much time arguing with Rusty.  Get some perspective man.  Nobody else on this board assigns 100% blame to TB.  And sorry the team is not just TB and a bunch of JAGs.  6 or 7 years?  You really think the 2007 team was TB and a bunch of JAGs?  If you said that to anyone outside of NE they would laugh in your face.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

It sounds like Edelman is hurt.

Hawkins does kickoff returns, and he catches passes pretty well when he's healthy. 

He's not a burner.  He's a serious shrimp.  He'll never block anyone.  Other than that he does a job.  I get the feeling that if Edelman gets healthy as fast as can be hoped for, Hawkins will be cashiered in August. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

Should have offered Emmanuel Sanders 3 mil a season. Wonder if Doug Gabriel is available? Hopefully one of these Wr turns out to be a Reche Caldwell haha. can't wait for preseason, feel bad for Mallet. Looks like he'll  be getting to know a lot of receivers during camp.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

It's pathetic!

You spend too much time arguing with Rusty.  Get some perspective man.  Nobody else on this board assigns 100% blame to TB.  And sorry the team is not just TB and a bunch of JAGs.  6 or 7 years?  You really think the 2007 team was TB and a bunch of JAGs?  If you said that to anyone outside of NE they would laugh in your face.

Actually, I said 6 or 7 because it started in 2006 where BB said, Hmmmm maybe we do need a good receiver or two.  2007 he actually had some talented receivers and then BB thought, hmmmmm maybe we need a better TE or two  Then the talented receivers were gone, none were drafted, and we had 2 good TE's but then they were injured and gone too.

Also in 2006, BB noticed, hmmm, MY D  is getting old and probably lost us a SB.  2009 was the mass exodus but he had years to prepare for that.

7 years later, he's still replacing that old and tired D, the poor receivers and the injured duo of TE's and still losing SB's.   This is 2013!  Maybe this, "Tom and Vince, can do it by themselves"  thing needs to change.  It's not working.  Talent needed.

Ever notice, the teams that do win the SBs have good QB's, talented receivers and something other than a 31st ranked defense and are healthy during that time?  Hmmm.

I have.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'll be honest I never heard of Lavelle Hawkins but then again most of us probably haven't heard of him. Honestly how many Patriots fans watch Titans football? Brady will be just fine just find him someone who can run a square out, a WR screen, A slant,and a seam route and it's on! No superstar needed we already have a QB who qualifies as one of the greatest of all time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

The only thing I remember about WW before he came to the Pats was that there was this small, slow receiver who had a good game against us that played for Miami but he was a bit of a bum who had been passed around the league for a few years. Never produced much except when he played us.

Carter and Anderson - pair of waashed up retread defensive linemen. Waters - old, slow, and even his own team no longer wanted him.

Once again the Pats are doomed to mediocrity! zero offense and less than zero defense. Can't we just skip to the 2014 draft where we will have the #1 pick, and as long as BB doesn't blow it AGAIN we will maybe get a starting caliber player.

(Please god, let this off season go quickly so we can all complain about real games instead of making believe we actual know anything about running a football team.)Sealed

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to apdynasty23's comment:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/09/patriots-reach-deal-with-ex-titans-wr-lavelle-hawkins/

who?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

It's pathetic!

Actually, I said 6 or 7 because it started in 2006 where BB said, Hmmmm maybe we do need a good receiver or two.  2007 he actually had some talented receivers and then BB thought, hmmmmm maybe we need a better TE or two  Then the talented receivers were gone, none were drafted, and we had 2 good TE's but then they were injured and gone too.

Also in 2006, BB noticed, hmmm, MY D  is getting old and probably lost us a SB.  2009 was the mass exodus but he had years to prepare for that.

7 years later, he's still replacing that old and tired D, the poor receivers and the injured duo of TE's and still losing SB's.   This is 2013!  Maybe this, "Tom and Vince, can do it by themselves"  thing needs to change.  It's not working.  Talent needed.

Ever notice, the teams that do win the SBs have good QB's, talented receivers and something other than a 31st ranked defense and are healthy during that time?  Hmmm.

I have.

Ever notice that one of the hardest things to do in sports is put together a winning NFL team?  Ever notice that there are teams in the NFL that get top draft picks year after year and still can't compete?  Ever notice that the Patriots have been in seven AFC championship games and five Super Bowls in the last dozen years, and that only two other teams in the NFL (Steelers and Giants) have had comparable success in that period?  I have.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

The only thing I remember about WW before he came to the Pats was that there was this small, slow receiver who had a good game against us that played for Miami but he was a bit of a bum who had been passed around the league for a few years. Never produced much except when he played us.

Carter and Anderson - pair of waashed up retread defensive linemen. Waters - old, slow, and even his own team no longer wanted him.

Once again the Pats are doomed to mediocrity! zero offense and less than zero defense. Can't we just skip to the 2014 draft where we will have the #1 pick, and as long as BB doesn't blow it AGAIN we will maybe get a starting caliber player.

(Please god, let this off season go quickly so we can all complain about real games instead of making believe we actual know anything about running a football team.)Sealed

Wow, seriously?

Welker, Carter, Anderson and Waters are all in a much higher class then some of these players the Pats have picked up lately.  Jones, Hawkins, Molasses Mike, don't belong in the same breath as Welker, Carter, Anderson or Waters.

In 2006, the slow white "bum" who had been passed around from team to team who didn't produce much, happened to have a very good season in 2006 with the dolphins.  Welker had 67 receptions with 687 yards which compared pretty well with another Dolphins receiver , compared to the dolphins receiver Chris Chambers who was voted to the Pro Bowl that season with 59 receptions for 677 yards.

BTW, do you know Danny Amendola has been passed around from the Cowboys to the Eagles to the Rams and now with the Pats?  Amendola was signed as an UFA by the Cowboys, cut by them and then signed to their practice squad.  Then the Eagles signed him to the practice squad and cut before the 2009 regular season started.

Carter, Anderson and Waters all had good careers and I believe Waters made it known he didn't want to play for the Chiefs any longer and that's why he left there.  Dude was a great lineman at that point and as we witnessed he still was.

Jones, Molasses Mike and Hawkins aren't even in the same class as these guys.  Comparing apples to oranges, IMO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Come on TFB.  Revisionist history.  Most of the NFL was laughing at us for giving up what we did for Welker.  Amendola's numbers are similar to Wes' before he came here.  Don't let your fandom of WW get in the way of the fact that he was nothing special before coming here.  And why are you comparing the lower tier FAs they signed this season to some of the guys that worked out better.  What about Adrian Wilson or Tommy Kelly or Talib and Vollmer.  All FAs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Come on TFB.  Revisionist history.  Most of the NFL was laughing at us for giving up what we did for Welker.  Amendola's numbers are similar to Wes' before he came here.  Don't let your fandom of WW get in the way of the fact that he was nothing special before coming here.  And why are you comparing the lower tier FAs they signed this season to some of the guys that worked out better.  What about Adrian Wilson or Tommy Kelly or Talib and Vollmer.  All FAs.

The guy is lumping Lavelle Hawkins in with the likes of Welker, Carter, Anderson and Waters and then goes on to try and discredit them.  Let's make it very clear here... Lavelle Hawkins is not even close to what Welker, Anderson, Carter or Waters were when they got here.  There is a big difference between them and Hawkins yet the poster acts like there isn't. 

As far as Amendola goes, the poster refered to Welker getting passed around from team to team, apparently he didn't know Amendola has gone from the Cowboys to the Eagles to the Rams and now the Pats.  So he kind of steps on his own argument with that one.  That's all I was pointing out there.  I didn't compare Amendola to Welker except for that. Did I?

Tom Kelly, Talib and Wilson have accomplished things before coming here.  What has Hawkins done?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

The guy is lumping Lavelle Hawkins in with the likes of Welker, Carter, Anderson and Waters and then goes on to try and discredit them.  Let's make it very clear here... Lavelle Hawkins is not even close to what Welker, Anderson, Carter or Waters were when they got here.  There is a big difference between them and Hawkins yet the poster acts like there isn't. 

As far as Amendola goes, the poster refered to Welker getting passed around from team to team, apparently he didn't know Amendola has gone from the Cowboys to the Eagles to the Rams and now the Pats.  So he kind of steps on his own argument with that one.  That's all I was pointing out there.  I didn't compare Amendola to Welker except for that. Did I?

Tom Kelly, Talib and Wilson have accomplished things before coming here.  What has Hawkins done?

All he was saying is Wes Welker wasn't WES WELKER till he got to the Pats. Nobody had a clue the guy would turn into anything but a journeyman receiver before then.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I guess you didn't catch the sarcasm in my post - all I am saying is this crowd is expecting us to sign Fitzgerald, and Peterson, and whatever other stars had good years last year, and it IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. And most of these same posters that are complaining about Hawkins posted the same verbatum rants when the Pats signed those other guys, and those signings worked out pretty well. (They were probably over the moon when we signed Adalius Thomas too, and that was one of the biggest blunders in BB's history with the team.)

BB does a great job building a team each year, and he cuts his losses when he makes a mistake pretty quickly. Who knows if any of the FAs signed this year will work out - we certainly do not know before training camp begins, but I trust BB to have a plan. And with the SB and AFCCG in the last two years his plan seems to work pretty well each year.

Posters like to pretend that SB winners are planned and that a good GM and Coach should be able to guarantee a SB - we saw how well that worked for a franchise just down the road a bit! Reality is that it takes an incredible amount of luck, good fortune and health to win a SB and the best the GM and coach can do is field a team that is capable and the Pats have done that almost every year for over a decade! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I guess you didn't catch the sarcasm in my post

[/QUTOE]

Nope, I missed the sarcasm if that's what you were shooting for. Sorry!

[QUOTE]

And most of these same posters that are complaining about Hawkins posted the same verbatum rants when the Pats signed those other guys, and those signings worked out pretty well.

Is this true?  Your first post was 2012, is this not your original screen name? Were you a lurker on here prior?  Do you keep track of who says what?  Are these the same people who really posted rants about signing Welker, Carter, Anderson, Waters?  If I recall, most people liked the waters and Carter pickup and I don't recall there being many grumbling about Anderson either.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts