Patriots signing Michael Jenkins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Patriots signing Michael Jenkins

I'm not sure I want Edelman back at this point. Say we go into the season with 5 WR's like last year. Do you really want 3 of those guys to have missed almost as many games as games played over the last 2 years? That's like playing Russian roulete with 3 bullets in a 6 shooter

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I don't get it; I simply don't. Why does a pretty simple, straightforward signing like this evoke so much panic?  And believe me, that's what I'm reading here is panic.  Can we at least wait and see what other moves are in the offing before we decide that we're all screwed and we're better off watching the food channel next season?

because some pats fans on here are spoiled and dumb, and expect the pats to be able to sign an all star at every position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Can we stop with the panic. The first four targets are going to be Gronk, Hernandez, Amendola, and Jones as it stands currently.

Can we please stop with the revisionist history while we are at it.

I am tired of people worrying about he receiving corp prior to things finalizing AND seeing what they do in the Patriots system with TB. Yet at the same time praising what we did in 2007 and the need to do it again.

In 2007 (The NFL's all time scoring offense)

Randy Moss had 42 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Wes Welker had 67 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Jabar Gaffney was returning but only had 11 receptions the previous season for NE

Donte Stallworth had 38 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

David Thomas was returning with 11 receptions

Ben Watson was returning with 49 receptions

Kevin Faulk was returning with 43 receptions

In 2013

Danny Amendola had 63 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Donald Jones had 41 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Michael Jenkins had 40 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Rob Gronkowski returning with 55 receptions

Aaron Hernandez returning with 51 receptions

Shane Vereen returning with (40 woodheads #'s and role) receptions

I really don't see the big deal until we see "all" the moves as well as how it all works out in the end. You could argue they are in as good or better position as they were going into 2007 prior to everyone realising what Welker could do here in NE, as well as what Randy would revert to, the progression of Gaffney, etc.

The vast majority of fans had no idea who Welker was and were not thrilled about trading a 2nd and 7th for him, at the time. Moss was a shell of his former self at the time and was a giant question mark. Gaffney had just 11 catches in 11 games in 2006. Not awe inspiring. Sallworth was coming of an injury riddled season with no idea what to expect from  him.

There are only going to be so many footballs to go around and the Gronka and Hernandez are going to see a ton, unlike the 2007 TE's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

They need to draft Da'Rick Roger, Justin Hunter...just don't pick up another sub 6'0 WR with 4.6 and less speed. 

If Jesse Williams and Da'Rick Rogers are still there, BB needs to sn@tch them up! I'm going to lose my cool they pass on Williams in round 1 and/or Rogers in round 2. 

UN-F'N-BELIEVBLE! Can't say sn@tch on this site. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I'm not sure I want Edelman back at this point. Say we go into the season with 5 WR's like last year. Do you really want 3 of those guys to have missed almost as many games as games played over the last 2 years? That's like playing Russian roulete with 3 bullets in a 6 shooter

Ya I'm over Endleman...we got Washington to take care of run backs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

UN-F'N-BELIEVBLE! Can't say sn@tch on this site. 

A perfectly acceptable word, wouldn't you think?  But apparently it rattled someone's chastity belt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Can we stop with the panic. The first four targets are going to be Gronk, Hernandez, Amendola, and Jones as it stands currently.

Can we please stop with the revisionist history while we are at it.

I am tired of people worrying about he receiving corp prior to things finalizing AND seeing what they do in the Patriots system with TB. Yet at the same time praising what we did in 2007 and the need to do it again.

In 2007 (The NFL's all time scoring offense)

Jabar Gaffney was returning but only had 11 receptions the previous season for NE

In 2013

I really don't see the big deal until we see "all" the moves as well as how it all works out in the end. You could argue they are in as good or better position as they were going into 2007 prior to everyone realising what Welker could do here in NE, as well as what Randy would revert to, the progression of Gaffney, etc.

The vast majority of fans had no idea who Welker was and were not thrilled about trading a 2nd and 7th for him, at the time. Moss was a shell of his former self at the time and was a giant question mark. Gaffney had just 11 catches in 11 games in 2006. Not awe inspiring. Sallworth was coming of an injury riddled season with no idea what to expect from  him.

There are only going to be so many footballs to go around and the Gronka and Hernandez are going to see a ton, unlike the 2007 TE's.

finally someone with a clue....nice post.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I don't get it; I simply don't. Why does a pretty simple, straightforward signing like this evoke so much panic?  And believe me, that's what I'm reading here is panic.  Can we at least wait and see what other moves are in the offing before we decide that we're all screwed and we're better off watching the food channel next season?

Basically at this point the FA market is dried up, the secondary market is beyond a crap shoot, and I'm not sure many people have faith in BB drafting a WR. Week 1 hasn't started yet but given the situation even you can't be feeling good about this WR core. I think what makes it worse is you lose Welker for just about the same money as your second option (lets face it if Welker signed for $9mil a year people would understand but for what he got from our biggest competitor?), You let go of the only other stable body at WR through the year and replace him with a good player but one where a team with a paper thin WR core was willing to dump over injury concerns, and finally a guy no other team in the league had any interest in is now your #3. This should bring up concern. Like I said if we had 1 stable starting WR on the team right now I don't think people would bat an eye at this move but without that stable force on the team people are looking at this WR core as one of the weakest in the league

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

gronk, hernandez, amendola, jones, vereen, ballard, and jenkins are plenty enough options for TB12. id like to see them sign sanders and/or draft a receiver in the first round...but just let it play out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Played in almost every game except when he was benched

Didn't miss playing time because of injury

Missed 3 games due to injury

In 2013

Only finished 1/4 games the last 2 seasons due to injures

Missed 12 games the last 2 years because of injury

Released from a team that was so paper thin they threw it to him 40 times last year

Recs aren't a good way to judge a player. Such as with the Pats they throw the ball a lot so recs numbers naturally go up, doesn't mean the player is any better. Or a player on Jax who has a run first O won't have many rec's doesn't make them any worse. Jenkins and Amendola are perfect cases that the WR cores of their respective teams were so thin they ended up getting more playing time. In Jenkins case more time then he would have gotten on a regular team. Such as if he was on the Pats last year he wouldn't have even sniffed 40recs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to rxmsg's comment:

This is like 2006 Deja Vu all over again......  Reche Caldwell, Doug Gabriel......

How did that work oot fo us !!!???

Just about as well as Moss years did.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

We are going to have a top offense next season regardless of the rest of the roster moves.  Why?  Because we have Brady at QB and more than anything offensive output is determined by QB play.  Does anyone think it is a coinicidence that 4 of the top 5 offenses were quarterbacked  by Brady, Rodgers, Brees and Manning?  The fact that we also have one of the top offensive lines in football doesn't hurt either.  It is stupid to compare this offseason to 2006 because Amendola, Gronk and Hernandez are better than any receivers on that roster.  Unless you think they are all going to get injured at once I am not concerned.  More importantly despite all the horror stories about the 2006 team that people are selling we were still a top 10 offense that year.  Now I'm not saying I'm against improving the offensive personnel, but the amount of melodrama on this board since Wes left is practically unbearable.  We aren't doomed on offense as long as Brady is healthy.  Period.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In 2013

Only finished 1/4 games the last 2 seasons due to nagging injures

Released from a team that was so paper thin they threw it to him 40 times last year

Recs aren't a good way to judge a player. Such as with the Pats they throw the ball a lot so recs numbers naturally go up, doesn't mean the player is any better. Jenkins and Amendola are perfect cases that the WR cores of their respective teams were so thin they ended up getting more playing time. In Jenkins case more time then he would have gotten on a regular team. Such as if he was on the Pats last year he wouldn't have even sniffed 40recs

the point wasnt that these players are better.....hes saying its stupid to panic because we dont know what is going to happen. the offense could very well put up alot of points.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

We are going to have a top offense next season regardless of the rest of the roster moves.  Why?  Because we have Brady at QB and more than anything offensive output is determined by QB play.  Does anyone think it is a coinicidence that 4 of the top 5 offenses were quarterbacked  by Brady, Rodgers, Brees and Manning?  The fact that we also have one of the top offensive lines in football doesn't hurt either.  It is stupid to compare this offseason to 2006 because Amendola, Gronk and Hernandez are better than any receivers on that roster.  Unless you think they are all going to get injured at once I am not concerned.  More importantly despite all the horror stories about the 2006 team that people are selling we were still a top 10 offense that year.  Now I'm not saying I'm against improving the offensive personnel, but the amount of melodrama on this board since Wes left is practically unbearable.  We aren't doomed on offense as long as Brady is healthy.  Period.

yep....and you are right, gronk, hern, and amendola are much better than anyone the pats had in 2006 and they still put up points. as long as brady and his receivers are able to get in rhythm, the offense will be fine. i dont think BB is done getting receivers either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

In 2013

Only finished 1/4 games the last 2 seasons due to nagging injures

Recs aren't a good way to judge a player. Such as with the Pats they throw the ball a lot so recs numbers naturally go up, doesn't mean the player is any better. Jenkins and Amendola are perfect cases that the WR cores of their respective teams were so thin they ended up getting more playing time. In Jenkins case more time then he would have gotten on a regular team. Such as if he was on the Pats last year he wouldn't have even sniffed 40recs

the point wasnt that these players are better.....hes saying its stupid to panic because we dont know what is going to happen. the offense could very well put up alot of points.

It very well could be but if you top 2 players have missed more then half possible games played in the last 2 years then that should lead to a lot of concern. Again, if they had 1 durable starting caliber WR I don't think people would panic but given past history there is a 50/50 chance Slater and Jenkins could be your starting WRs at some point this year and those numbers will drop at that point

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

gronk, hernandez, amendola, jones, vereen, ballard, and jenkins are plenty enough options for TB12. id like to see them sign sanders and/or draft a receiver in the first round...but just let it play out.

What is really sad is you look at that list and not one of those players played a full season last year with the exception of Jenkins.  Gronk and Hernandez swapped places on the bench, Gronk 11 games, AH81 10 games, Amendola 11 games, Jones 12 games, Ballard coming off a serious injury no games.  I don't think I feel to good about that. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Would I be outta line in saying that if we don't make the D stronger the O will likely leave us at the alter again? January Football has been about defense and we need a few pieces to ours. I'm OK with our O as it stands. I want one more D back and some big boys on the D line and I'll be a happy ole farrt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

What is really sad is you look at that list and not one of those players played a full season last year with the exception of Jenkins.  Gronk and Hernandez swapped places on the bench, Gronk 11 games, AH81 10 games, Amendola 11 games, Jones 12 games, Ballard coming off a serious injury no games.  I don't think I feel to good about that. 

who is to say they cant stay healthy? players get injuries, it happens....even mr. durable wes welker got injured in 2009 and missed the playoffs....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Would I be outta line in saying that if don't make the D stronger the O will likely leave us at the alter again? January Football has been about defense and we need a few pieces to ours. I'm OK with our O as it stands. I want one more D back and some big boys on the D line and I'll be a happy ole 

No you wouldnt.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

who is to say they cant stay healthy? players get injuries, it happens....even mr. durable wes welker got injured in 2009 and missed the playoffs....

Agree, impossible to predict who gets hurt and who doesnt.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

BB bottom feeding again !!!  He's gotten away with this MO for years because of TB... once TB retires bottom feeding will not work.

Will the Pats ever give Brady a quality deep threat receiver (Moss not withsatnding)??

This is getting old folks !!!    BB will trip over dollar to pick up a penney !!!

Good post. BB's rigid value approach hasn't worked and will not work. A great GM has to know when to pull the trigger on difference makers. BB, the GM, has had TB and a first tier HC to work with and has zero rings in 8 years. And I believe due to Belichick's ineptness at GM, TB will retire with 3 rings. So many koolaid drinkers on this board who can't differentiate BB the GM from BB the HC. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to zeitgeist49's comment:

BB bottom feeding again !!!  He's gotten away with this MO for years because of TB... once TB retires bottom feeding will not work.

Will the Pats ever give Brady a quality deep threat receiver (Moss not withsatnding)??

This is getting old folks !!!    BB will trip over dollar to pick up a penney !!!

Good post. BB's rigid value approach hasn't worked and will not work. A great GM has to know when to pull the trigger on difference makers. BB, the GM, has had TB and a first tier HC to work with and has zero rings in 8 years. And I believe due to Belichick's ineptness at GM, TB will retire with 3 rings. So many koolaid drinkers on this board who can't differentiate BB the GM from BB the HC. 

Well then you must think Bob Kraft is inept as an owner as well.  The approach that BB is taking is exactly how Kraft wants it done.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to zeitgeist49's comment:

Retire with 3 SB rings.....

I'm thinkin' one more...but hey...3....pretty good if you ask me....how many Teams have never gone to the SB....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Would I be outta line in saying that if don't make the D stronger the O will likely leave us at the alter again? January Football has been about defense and we need a few pieces to ours. I'm OK with our O as it stands. I want one more D back and some big boys on the D line and I'll be a happy ole 

No you wouldnt.

Hmmmm...probably not...got carried away there for a minute.........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Tells you all you need to know.

"The Minnesota Vikings have an obvious priority for the offseason: add wide receivers."

"But he will turn 30 in June, and even before the knee injury he wasn't fast enough to be the reliable field-stretching receiver the Vikings have lacked for a long time on the outside"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9018988/minnesota-vikings-cut-michael-jenkins-saving-more-3m

Sections
Shortcuts