Patriots signing Michael Jenkins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Patriots signing Michael Jenkins

In response to tanbass' comment:

In response to rxmsg's comment:

This is like 2006 Deja Vu all over again......  Reche Caldwell, Doug Gabriel......

How did that work oot fo us !!!???

Just about as well as Moss years did.....

That was funny

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

Randy Moss had 42 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Played in almost every game except when he was benched

Wes Welker had 67 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Didn't miss playing time because of injury

Jabar Gaffney was returning but only had 11 receptions the previous season for NE

Donte Stallworth had 38 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Missed 3 games due to injury

David Thomas was returning with 11 receptions

Ben Watson was returning with 49 receptions

Kevin Faulk was returning with 43 receptions

In 2013

Danny Amendola had 63 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Only finished 1/4 games the last 2 seasons due to nagging injures

Donald Jones had 41 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Missed 12 games the last 2 years because of injury

Michael Jenkins had 40 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Released from a team that was so paper thin they threw it to him 40 times last year

Rob Gronkowski returning with 55 receptions

Aaron Hernandez returning with 51 receptions

Shane Vereen returning with (40 woodheads #'s and role) receptions

Recs aren't a good way to judge a player. Such as with the Pats they throw the ball a lot so recs numbers naturally go up, doesn't mean the player is any better. Jenkins and Amendola are perfect cases that the WR cores of their respective teams were so thin they ended up getting more playing time. In Jenkins case more time then he would have gotten on a regular team. Such as if he was on the Pats last year he wouldn't have even sniffed 40recs

the point wasnt that these players are better.....hes saying its stupid to panic because we dont know what is going to happen. the offense could very well put up alot of points.

It very well could be but if you top 2 players have missed more then half possible games played in the last 2 years then that should lead to a lot of concern. Again, if they had 1 durable starting caliber WR I don't think people would panic but given past history there is a 50/50 chance Slater and Jenkins could be your starting WRs at some point this year and those numbers will drop at that point

There was talk that Moss might not even make the team. That his legs were finished, etc. back then. I am simply saying there are the same question marks. No one knew the 2007 was going to roll up all those points just as they did not know they would fall on their face in the post season.

Amendola having 63 catches, 4 fewer than welker while playing in 5 fewer games is a good and more impressive thing in my opinion not a red flag concern. Injuries happen. Welker had a season ending injury as well in his career. ...just had the luck of timing. He blows out his knee in wk 1 rather than wk 17 and peoples perception of his durability drastically changes. The argument can be made that games played are less relevent to injury proness than the timing of when the injuries occur.

Guys like David Nelson played 1 game last season. Greg Jennings only played in 8. Both of them fewer than Danny Amendola or Donald Jones played in last season.

People are looking to this years draft and checking out shuttle times, 3 cone times and production. They would be wise to remind themselves of Jeremy Eberts numbers in this regard as well.  A 4.38 40yd dash, 6.70 3-cone, 4.15 SS. 2400 yards, 21 TD's, 14yd avg. Does he make a jump in yr two and contribute? No idea. Fans just write him off so quickly however. I am not sure but didn't he have to join the team late because of the weird school rule or somehting at Northwestern? or am I thinking of someone else?

Fans should also remember even the greatest ones do not come in the league and tear it up their rookie seasons generally speaking. Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, and AJ Green had like 50-60 catches their rookie seasons I think. Not 90+. So even if the Pats drafted Hopkins, Rogers, Bailey, etc, just what realistic "big" impact do you think they will have on the team? I have no idea.

With so many worrying that this will be 2006 all over again. I would simply remind some that at least in 2006 NE had the #1 scoring offense in the post season and scored 28 points in their loss. Unlike the offenses who everyone is worried we are stepping back from that have only managed 14, 17, 13 in the season ending losses of late.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to xxxcrwn's comment:

Tells you all you need to know.

"The Minnesota Vikings have an obvious priority for the offseason: add wide receivers."

"But he will turn 30 in June, and even before the knee injury he wasn't fast enough to be the reliable field-stretching receiver the Vikings have lacked for a long time on the outside"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9018988/minnesota-vikings-cut-michael-jenkins-saving-more-3m

It's a simple decision for them. They have eleven picks - including two in the first and two in the fourth - in a draft that promises great depth at WR. We are talking about a draft where good WRs - Stills, King, Swope, Harper, Vernon - could still be on the board at the start of the third day. It would be easy for them to double dip or even triple dip to cut chances they end up with nothing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Randy Moss had 42 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Played in almost every game except when he was benched

Wes Welker had 67 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Jabar Gaffney was returning but only had 11 receptions the previous season for NE

Donte Stallworth had 38 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Missed 3 games due to injury

David Thomas was returning with 11 receptions

Ben Watson was returning with 49 receptions

Kevin Faulk was returning with 43 receptions

In 2013

Danny Amendola had 63 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Only finished 1/4 games the last 2 seasons due to injures

Donald Jones had 41 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Missed 12 games the last 2 years because of injury

Michael Jenkins had 40 receptions the year prior to coming to NE

Released from a team that was so paper thin they threw it to him 40 times last year

Rob Gronkowski returning with 55 receptions

Aaron Hernandez returning with 51 receptions

Shane Vereen returning with (40 woodheads #'s and role) receptions

Recs aren't a good way to judge a player. Such as with the Pats they throw the ball a lot so recs numbers naturally go up, doesn't mean the player is any better. Or a player on Jax who has a run first O won't have many rec's doesn't make them any worse. Jenkins and Amendola are perfect cases that the WR cores of their respective teams were so thin they ended up getting more playing time. In Jenkins case more time then he would have gotten on a regular team. Such as if he was on the Pats last year he wouldn't have even sniffed 40recs

Depends if he knew the Pats system or not. If he can catch 40 with the Vikings from Ponder he can catch at least 30 on the Pats last season. Branch had 16 for peets sake and is what 3 or 4 years older?

Aren't you one of the guys always arguing a tall wR doesn't even need the seperation and you can just throw it up to him. If he knew the system then he would have sniffed 40.

It's a big IF however as it's the biggest hurdle for the receivers the Pats bring in. Will they get it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

This is like 2006 Deja Vu all over again......  Reche Caldwell, Doug Gabriel......

...and at least the 2006 offense scored 28 points in their post season loss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Well there is your Redzone threat!  or it could be this years "anthony gonsalez" signing...

Meh but in this offense he could fetch some nice leftovers and get 35 balls and maybe a couple TDs. Its help so I wont complain too much. I guess Sanders is maybe out and they draft a WR in the 3rd??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

We have months until opening day, why get so worked up about who we have at receiver now. People were saying the same thing in 2007 at this time. Then draft day comes along with Moss and the rest. I think Belichick knows how to put a roster together. This isn't fantasy football.

Amazing ain't it.  I just keep shaking my head at all the doom and gloom around here.   Heck we don't need Leon to slam the Patriots Organization with all the in-house "Fans" crying all the time.

But it's Easter so for my Eoyore Friends this song is for you.   :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkVtMCu9TI

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to xxxcrwn's comment:

Tells you all you need to know.

"The Minnesota Vikings have an obvious priority for the offseason: add wide receivers."

"But he will turn 30 in June, and even before the knee injury he wasn't fast enough to be the reliable field-stretching receiver the Vikings have lacked for a long time on the outside"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9018988/minnesota-vikings-cut-michael-jenkins-saving-more-3m

Maybe they are going to play him in the Slot and Amendola at the X. Also when Mike came out of College he ran a 4.3 40 I don't profess to know what he's able to run now but at one time he was a burner.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

BB bottom feeding again !!!  He's gotten away with this MO for years because of TB... once TB retires bottom feeding will not work.

Will the Pats ever give Brady a quality deep threat receiver (Moss not withsatnding)??

This is getting old folks !!!    BB will trip over dollar to pick up a penney !!!

Kraft is requiring him to low ball players in order to keep his highest paid coach status.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

There was talk that Moss might not even make the team. That his legs were finished, etc. back then. I am simply saying there are the same question marks. No one knew the 2007 was going to roll up all those points just as they did not know they would fall on their face in the post season.

Amendola having 63 catches, 4 fewer than welker while playing in 5 fewer games is a good and more impressive thing in my opinion not a red flag concern. Injuries happen. Welker had a season ending injury as well in his career. ...just had the luck of timing. He blows out his knee in wk 1 rather than wk 17 and peoples perception of his durability drastically changes. The argument can be made that games played are less relevent to injury proness than the timing of when the injuries occur.

Guys like David Nelson played 1 game last season. Greg Jennings only played in 8. Both of them fewer than Danny Amendola or Donald Jones played in last season.

People are looking to this years draft and checking out shuttle times, 3 cone times and production. They would be wise to remind themselves of Jeremy Eberts numbers in this regard as well.  A 4.38 40yd dash, 6.70 3-cone, 4.15 SS. 2400 yards, 21 TD's, 14yd avg. Does he make a jump in yr two and contribute? No idea. Fans just write him off so quickly however. I am not sure but didn't he have to join the team late because of the weird school rule or somehting at Northwestern? or am I thinking of someone else?

Fans should also remember even the greatest ones do not come in the league and tear it up their rookie seasons generally speaking. Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, and AJ Green had like 50-60 catches their rookie seasons I think. Not 90+. So even if the Pats drafted Hopkins, Rogers, Bailey, etc, just what realistic "big" impact do you think they will have on the team? I have no idea.

With so many worrying that this will be 2006 all over again. I would simply remind some that at least in 2006 NE had the #1 scoring offense in the post season and scored 28 points in their loss. Unlike the offenses who everyone is worried we are stepping back from that have only managed 14, 17, 13 in the season ending losses of late.

Anyone who said that about Moss was fooling themselves. Moss played and started all 13 games he wasn't benched and whe he wanted to play clearly still had his speed and could generate separation. Huge difference between Moss and Amendola, Moss clearly didn't care but still had his ability Amendola can't stay on the field to give effort. If Amendola was the 4th or 5th WR like Nelson would be the injury issues would be an issue at all because we wouldn't have to worry about what he gives, that's a huge difference there with Nelson. It's simply your top 2 WR's right now have major injury issues and I'd complain if Nelson was in there instead of Jones too because you still don't have a stable durable WR.

I mean really you even mention Ebert and then mention that list of guys after him? BTW he only missed rook camp not the entire preseason. I know a rook most likely won't make a big difference but that should concern you even more that a draft pick won't make a difference with this weak WR core

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

...and at least the 2006 offense scored 28 points in their post season loss.

Sadly, 7 of those points, the only TD in the second half came off Hobbs's 80 yard kick off return, so if not getting into the striking distance, they may not have even scored that TD to Gaffney.

That's how far back this "problem" goes.

I have been waiting to see your spin on this signing. Figures you would avoid it and turn it into a Brady bash. Your a troll. Go back to your Jets boards and bash Brady over there

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Nope- never heard of him?

What happened to Welker...oh never mind.LOL

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

I knew king was a Jets fan but he defends BB for Spygate!? And then on the other hand he knocks Brady for being really old and playing horribly in the post season(he has a valid point there)he acts like Spygate never happened. he can't answer -If it never happened then why did BB get fined and the pats lost a 1st rounder?

I knew I smelled a rat.so who is it king the pats or the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Does he do that after GOD AWFUl INTs when he throws 45 times in January and February replete with 2 INTs and mindnumblingly DUMB decisions, or is he more concerned about vacationing with Welkie and the Hooters wife?

Your repeititive name calling of players' spouses or significant others are uncalled for, disrespectful and totally irelevant to the discussion and reflect more on yourself as as a disgusting and foul person.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

In response to zeitgeist49's comment:

BB bottom feeding again !!!  He's gotten away with this MO for years because of TB... once TB retires bottom feeding will not work.

Will the Pats ever give Brady a quality deep threat receiver (Moss not withsatnding)??

This is getting old folks !!!    BB will trip over dollar to pick up a penney !!!

Good post. BB's rigid value approach hasn't worked and will not work. A great GM has to know when to pull the trigger on difference makers. BB, the GM, has had TB and a first tier HC to work with and has zero rings in 8 years. And I believe due to Belichick's ineptness at GM, TB will retire with 3 rings. So many koolaid drinkers on this board who can't differentiate BB the GM from BB the HC. 

Well then you must think Bob Kraft is inept as an owner as well.  The approach that BB is taking is exactly how Kraft wants it done.

Not only is it how He wants it done, it is how it should be done.  If you set a team up with a team of all pro's who take less for a year to win a championship you get one year, make it or break it.  If you are in the top 5 teams every year you are always within an injury or two of winning it all.  If Welker, gronk, talib, etc are not injured the last few years we have a few more championships under our belt.  Balt could have lost Ngata, Lewis, bolden, etc and they do not win.  If you swing for the fences and try to mortgage the future to win now, you usually eliminate virtually all chances to win for several years after.  BB and Kraft's system is simply the best.  They have won their share, and been right in it several other times, despite cripling injuries.

Let's play hypothetical.  How many people want the pats to trade for Larry Fitzgerald.  Not me.  His cap hit the next 3 years is north of 18m.  No receiver is worth that.  I don't want him.  It would be brady, LF, and a bunch of inferior players.  Flacco's deal, and the rumored Rogers deal will guarantee one thing.  Neither team will be able to put enough quality players on the field to surround them to be legitimate contenders for the long term.  $25m players are team wreckers.

A team full of b+ players with a great QB and coach means you have a chance every year to win it all. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

He is big.  Isn't that that what people have been clamoring for around here?  Believe it or not there aren't many guys with that kind of size and 4.4 speed.  If we signed a fast guy there would be complaints that he is too short...

Moss was one of a kind and frankly anyone approaching that talent level is not in our budget.

eng:

"don't need a fast big guy but how about one that can outrun Brady?"

:)

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Does he do that after GOD AWFUl INTs when he throws 45 times in January and February replete with 2 INTs and mindnumblingly DUMB decisions, or is he more concerned about vacationing with Welkie and the Hooters wife?

Your repeititive name calling of players' spouses or significant others are uncalled for, disrespectful and totally irelevant to the discussion and reflect more on yourself as as a disgusting and foul person.

Yes. Really "foul" and "disrespecting". lol

Maybe Brady needs to be at Gillette in the offseasons again until he plays well in the postseason.

Women working at Hoooters are working at a job, and people who called them names in a derisive manner reflect poorly more on themslves. But since you employed those name in  such a derogatory fashion, would it bother you if your wife or girlfriend (making an assumption  that you have one), sister, daughter or mother insulted in such terms? Would it bother you if they are called those names because you were late at work or did not do overtime?  (again, assuming that you have a job.) If you do not recognize how unnecessary and disrespect your comments were, there is no point in calling them to your attention and you are not worth the trouble.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Kings got a point about Brady not showing up and supporting his teammates during the offseason OTA's. Two years ago he was too busy picking out the paint colors for his the guestrooms of his mansion on the West Coast.

What's it going to be this year?"Well I'll be in town for more hairplugs so maybe I'll the throw the ball to one of my WR's...wait we don't have any WR's...see you in August"

25. This post has been removed.