Patriots signing Michael Jenkins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: Patriots signing Michael Jenkins

In response to digger0862's comment:

Jenkins had a 50 yard TD reception in the playoffs last year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000122570/Jenkins-50-yard-TD-catch

...and that was Joe Webb throwing the ball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to artielang's comment:

Hard to believe that the signing of a guy with very little chance of making the team is creating such a huge amount of comments. This guy was an ok player recently, but has looked done for awhile now. But think about it...all of our current wideouts are injury prone, so someone needs to take reps in camp and in preseason games. And at his size he can also run routes in place of Hernandez. But this move has no correlation to signing WR's who might actually play. 

This is why he's getting so many comments. If our WR core didn't needing a waiting ambulance then he wouldn't even get more then 5 comments but since they do and this is a guy they pick up with not much hope of anyone else it brings up comments at this time because as of today he'd easily make the team and be the #3 WR

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Eng if you say you knew for a fact that Moss was going to revert back 4 or 5 seasons to form, and never quit on his team then kudos to you. I will take your word for it. I do not think I was fooling myself and frankly liked the deal but it was just hope and a WHOLE lot of questions in my mind. Moss had not caught more than 60 passes in three straight seasons. It was not just one year. He had quit on both the Vikings AND Raiders. So yeah I had questions of both how much he still had in the tank, if he would get the Patriots system , AND if he would fall in line and be a good soldier. That's three major questions going into 2007 on just one player.

It doesn't concern me about the rookies. I expect them to not make a big impact which is why I like the verterns they are signing and looking at.

Maybe Amendola will get hurt again, I have no idea. Until it happens I am not automatically assuming he will. Just as I am not assuming Welker will get hurt again and blow out his same or other knee while with the Broncos. Welkers injury was potentially worse for a WR than either of Amendolas upper body ones.

I just don't see the injury posibilities as any more concerning than the questions about the 2007 WR corp. The Moss ones I covered. No one had any clue IF Welker would get the Pats systems and fit well within it. It was a projection and huge question. Amendola has been around it and played in the same system under McD. Same questions regarding Stallworth going into 2007 and he also missed time the previous season with injury. You can also question if Jones will get the Patriots system but at least Jones played in a site adjustment offensive system in college. You can at least make and estimated projection to doing the same thing in NE.

They certainly have questions but more concerning or more of them than going into 2007? Not in my mind. It's all relative. Change brings questions, we have to wait and see. imo.

I guess my question would be is there someone in particular you really wanted the Patriots to go get at WR other than keeping Welker?

The only question I had with Moss in 07' was if he would be motivated and yes that was a big concern to me but I at least knew the guy would give you 16 games. Even when his numbers went down I could see it was only a motivational problem not a talent problem at that point so as long as he stayed on the field I had no doubt he'd give something. I didn't expect what he ended up giving (I was thinking closer to 75, 1000, 10)

Welker I liked when he was in Mia and though he was going to give solid #3 numbers. Again didn't expect the production that he gave but he was another one I had no doubt would give you 16 games and at least be on the field.

Stallworth had 1 hamstring issue the season before but generally throughout his entire career remained healthy so again no doubt he'd give 14-16 games thoughout the season. 

Did I have concern about production, yep esp after 06' but I had no doubt they'd be healthy and give you something more then 06'. This years WR core? There is zero chance they give you what 07' does but there is almost a 99% chance they can give more the 06' provided they stay on the field. My greatest concern is if they can stay on the field. All the 14rec games in the world won't matter if you are only on the field for half the games and this current core scares the heck out of me because the #1 and #2 WR's can stay healthy for any length of time.

But, the arguments you applied to 07' can also be applied to 06' so take the good with the bad in your argument and this squad has a 50/50 chance of either being good or bad and given injury history I leaning closer to the bad at this point. If they had a durable stable starting WR I'd feel differently but they don't and we still have no clue how any of them will gel with Brady. Will Amendola gel like Welker or Ocho?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000122570/Jenkins-50-yard-TD-catch

Here let me fix your comment:

"Jenkins had a 50 yard TD reception when AJ Hawk (4.6 40) gave him 10yrds, was running crossed field, had to turn up field, half jogged it, and still closed to gap to 3yrds in under 30yrds of running; in the playoffs last year"  

better

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

This from the Wikipedia entry on Jenkins . . . guess the editors haven't caught the last line that someone added . . .

Personal

Jenkins and his wife, Tamara, have one son, Brendan, and live in the famous Chateau Elan. A graduate of A. P. Leto High School in Tampa, Jenkins donated football uniforms to his alma mater in 2008, telling the St. Petersburg Times, "You're always kind of fighting for your school".[4] He is going to the Super Bowl with the patriots.

[edit]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm not a big fan of what they're doing to the receiver core as of yet, but I don't think it will be like 06 for a couple of reasons. First off in 06 we never had someone like Hernandez or Gronk. Those two are really the one's that make our offense go - everything we add to this team is just going to be a compliment to those guys. So in reality a guy like Jones may turn into something in this offense because of the attention Gronk and Hern will receive. Of course if Amendola stays healthy, he will add a dimension to this offense too. A big part will be if Vareen can stay healthy and give you what Kevin Faulk used to...a guy that could come out of the backfield and create mismatches...a guy that gives you even more options on third down.

There certainly are question marks, but for the most part they have more to do with injury prone players. You can guarantee we will be adding another receiver before training camp begins - I'm sure draft weekend will bring something in. I think as long as everyone stays reasonably healthy, Brady will make them all look better than they really are. How many guys has Brady made rich and famous that were really nobody's before hand? I can name a few...Branch, Givens, Hernandez, Gronk, Welker, Caldwell (had the best season of his life),  Troy Brown (guy never had been considered anything more than a 30-40 catch third down option before Brady got a hold of him), Gaffney (rejuvinated his career here), Patten. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

Good low risk body to bring in to camp to compete at the outside "run sprints" position that David Patten made a career out of.  Tall, fast, might translate to a surprise player in this system.  Bring in every player who fits this mold and see who sticks, one is all you need with a bunch of lightning quick smurfs and big tight ends, thats our system, that's what we need.

Wozzy, this is exactly what Jenkins isnt! He has poor first 2 steps off the LOS and struggles with jams, he is slow in his breaks , and wont run past any CB's even in single coverage.

He is Lloyd only 2 steps slower and worse with YAC. Vikings took him out of the game in the red zone offense.

I havent seen what Jenkins was offered, most likely vet minimum to $750K. Could Lloyd have been resigned for $1.0M?

Just going off of what I've read around the internet last night, Jenkins is toast...nothing left in his tank (which is surprising at his age). Word is the guy can't run, he can't get any separation and defensive linemen can run him down from behind. Apparently he has not been the same since a knee injury years ago. The guy most likely will not make it to training camp - I imagine they will take a closer look at him during off season workouts to see if they can physically mold him into something they wish he could be. They do this stuff all the time...it never works...I think they just do it to justify the salaries of their trainers and exercise equipement to Kraft.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'm not a big fan of what they're doing to the receiver core as of yet, but I don't think it will be like 06 for a couple of reasons. First off in 06 we never had someone like Hernandez or Gronk. Those two are really the one's that make our offense go - everything we add to this team is just going to be a compliment to those guys. So in reality a guy like Jones may turn into something in this offense because of the attention Gronk and Hern will receive. Of course if Amendola stays healthy, he will add a dimension to this offense too. A big part will be if Vareen can stay healthy and give you what Kevin Faulk used to...a guy that could come out of the backfield and create mismatches...a guy that gives you even more options on third down.

There certainly are question marks, but for the most part they have more to do with injury prone players. You can guarantee we will be adding another receiver before training camp begins - I'm sure draft weekend will bring something in. I think as long as everyone stays reasonably healthy, Brady will make them all look better than they really are. How many guys has Brady made rich and famous that were really nobody's before hand? I can name a few...Branch, Givens, Hernandez, Gronk, Welker, Caldwell (had the best season of his life),  Troy Brown (guy never had been considered anything more than a 30-40 catch third down option before Brady got a hold of him), Gaffney (rejuvinated his career here), Patten. 

I think you hit on a major component... Vareen. I think the reason Woodhead wasn't brought back is due to the confidence they now have in Vareen to pick up blitzes when he is in the backfield but more importantly his touches will increase.  Based on his athletic ability if he stays healthy he will be a dynamic player in this offense.

That's the thing...health. The guy just gets hurt. I have no doubt that he can catch the ball and be a versatile weapon for us (and it's not because of that great catch he had against the Texans)...I've seen him make some very nice over the shoulder grabs in camp and I must say he looks very smooth and natural running routes and catching that ball. It's a matter of health for him. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I agree with pretty much everything here except that, while it is expected to make DAs health a conditional issue, most people here seem to way undervalue his abilities. Where Welker caught 67 passes or so the year before he came here this guy had one year of 85 and last year was on a pace to exceed that. The guy is GOOD. Better than Branch ever was and he was the missing piece in 2006. He might just turn out to be better than Welker -- but that he will have to prove.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Gronk and Hern were top end TE's going into the draft so can't really say Brady made them by any account. But, I hear your list the problem is there is just as long of a list of guys that Brady didn't make better, Jackson, Johnson, Tate, Price, Gabriel, Ocho, Galloway.

So while yes Brady can make some players better he can't do it for all of them. There is no gaurantee that just by bringing a guy in means that Brady will instantly turn them into a star. Actually the odds are slightly under 50% when you add up all the WR's they have brought in so if you are counting on all the WR's they brought in to improve just because of Brady then it's just not going to happen. At this point taking a shotgun approach grabbing 14 WRs for camp and hoping 4 stick might be the best approach. Also crossing your fingers that they stay healthy. It's one reason why I think many including myself look at this current situation and see that when you add in the high possibility the current players will get hurt and given talent that many won't fit with Brady then odds aren't looking good at having a half decent wr core to give to Brady which is a crime.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wozzy, this is exactly what Jenkins isnt! He has poor first 2 steps off the LOS and struggles with jams, he is slow in his breaks , and wont run past any CB's even in single coverage.

He is Lloyd only 2 steps slower and worse with YAC. Vikings took him out of the game in the red zone offense.

I havent seen what Jenkins was offered, most likely vet minimum to $750K. Could Lloyd have been resigned for $1.0M?

The guy obviously can't stay healthy, that can't be disputed, but when he has played he has been productive, his best years were 2008-2009 with the Falcons, he broke a lot of long ones.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

The guy obviously can't stay healthy, that can't be disputed, but when he has played he has been productive, his best years were 2008-2009 with the Falcons, he broke a lot of long ones.

08-09 was a long time ago. Since then his knees have failed on him, hence why he's being run down by DL men. But look on the bright side, Brady can catch up and run out in front to block for him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Unbelievable - 

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to rxmsg's comment:

Does this list scare anyone?    For crying out loud !!!!

I feel your pain, TFB!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion - save the troll comments, but sometimes I think Bill believes he is infallible and is definitely stubborn. Not saying I would want another coach...Bargain basement receivers are bargains for a reason -

Give Tom a f&&&ing chance. Get Da'Rick Rogers or Patterson or someone in the draft. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion - save the troll comments, but sometimes I think Bill believes he is infallible and is definitely stubborn. Not saying I would want another coach...Bargain basement receivers are bargains for a reason -

Give Tom a f&&&ing chance. Get Da'Rick Rogers or Patterson or someone in the draft. 

its not unpopular....many here feel the same way as you do. but you just need to be patient....its only march. a lot can change before august and september come around.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

its not unpopular....many here feel the same way as you do. but you just need to be patient....its only march. a lot can change before august and september come around.

I guess it all depends on how you view BB's approach.  One man's stubborn is another's focused and disciplined.  I agree that he does seem to project a certain arrogance at times.

Agree, w/redsoxfan on the patience factor.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

This video is a fabrication. No way in helllll this guy caught a td last year. I read on this forum that Jenkins is not actually 6'4 but that is his forty time. He also for some reason couldn't even shine in the prolific Vikings passing offense?.?. I can't substantiate this next rumor but didn't he lose 4 of his fingers in the great potato famine? And last but not least how could he run fast or catch tds after Kathy Bates recreated the scene from misery on both of his legs? 

This guy suks, BB has some giant cojones thinking he can transform this midget, fingerless, peg legger into an actual football player. It's only a matter of time before Tom Brady jumps ship to a talented group of receiving options that every other team in this league has. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to rxmsg's comment:

Does this list scare anyone?    For crying out loud !!!!

That the names of the guys in the last band on the bubble that didnt make Woodstock II? What were they called again? "Always Covered"? Funny thing about those guys was that they never did original music.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

This video is a fabrication. No way in helllll this guy caught a td last year. I read on this forum that Jenkins is not actually 6'4 but that is his forty time. He also for some reason couldn't even shine in the prolific Vikings passing offense?.?. I can't substantiate this next rumor but didn't he lose 4 of his fingers in the great potato famine? And last but not least how could he run fast or catch tds after Kathy Bates recreated the scene from misery on both of his legs? 

This guy suks, BB has some giant cojones thinking he can transform this midget, fingerless, peg legger into an actual football player. It's only a matter of time before Tom Brady jumps ship to a talented group of receiving options that every other team in this league has. 

You are right True, that was the best TD catch ever! He had 13 players hanging off of him and 3 coaches trying to trip him as he out ran a jet fighter to pull in a catch from somebody with a weaker arm then Sanchez. 

Sorry but you went to such an extreme I had to go to the other extreme.

Really watch that TD. No one was covering the guy. He had a 10yrd (horizontally and vertically combined) head start on Hawk with Hawk not even trying to run full speed and he still ended up about 3yrds away from the guy. Heck you or I could have caught that ball given that much room. Wilfork could have ran it into the endzone with that much room. It's not like it was an amazing play he had to make. He just ran striaght and the D completely forgot about him to the point where any QB in the league could have put the pass and he would have scored.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

You are right True, that was the best TD catch ever! He had 13 players hanging off of him and 3 coaches trying to trip him as he out ran a jet fighter to pull in a catch from somebody with a weaker arm then Sanchez. 

Sorry but you went to such an extreme I had to go to the other extreme.

Really watch that TD. No one was covering the guy. He had a 10yrd (horizontally and vertically combined) head start on Hawk with Hawk not even trying to run full speed and he still ended up about 3yrds away from the guy. Heck you or I could have caught that ball given that much room. Wilfork could have ran it into the endzone with that much room. It's not like it was an amazing play he had to make. He just ran striaght and the D completely forgot about him to the point where any QB in the league could have put the pass and he would have scored.

You're still being insanely negative, though. Something about the start of FA'ency threw you off and you have yet to recover.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

You're still being insanely negative, though. Something about the start of FA'ency threw you off and you have yet to recover.

I'd say I'm being closer to realistic. I don't know what you expect from these guys. There's a reason you are getting them so cheap. There's a reason no other teams had interest in Jenkins or Jones. There is a reason Amendola was the second choice. Being insanely positive doesn't suddenly mean Jenkins is going to make it through camp or Amendola or Jone's injury history are suddenly going to disappear. I don't need super stars at every position but really is it being insanely negative to expect a couple durable starters for a SB caliber team with a HoF QB?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to dreighver's comment: 

I'd say I'm being closer to realistic. I don't know what you expect from these guys. There's a reason you are getting them so cheap. There's a reason no other teams had interest in Jenkins or Jones. There is a reason Amendola was the second choice. Being insanely positive doesn't suddenly mean Jenkins is going to make it through camp or Amendola or Jone's injury history are suddenly going to disappear. I don't need super stars at every position but really is it being insanely negative to expect a couple durable starters for a SB caliber team with a HoF QB?

No, sir, it isn't but could you at least give the team a chance?  That they didn't target high end free agents should be no surprise to any Pats fan.  They don't do that.  The Sanders thing has yet to play itself out.  They've made a couple of moves that many believe make sense for their needs.  I'm not saying everything is beautiful; what I am saying is I think good moves have been made and there's time and opportunity for more.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts