Patriots soft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Patriots soft?

Thought that title might grab attention but I don't mean it like that. I 100% support the Patriots though and want them in the SB. Question I have though ....do you think they have sort of morphed into the team they first beat in SB?..........and thus can be beat the same way the Patriots beat the Rams? If a team just comes in and plays physical against them? Unless the offense goes totally south on us in the playoffs I see this as the only way a team could gameplan against them. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Patriots soft?

I think the Patriots probably have the biggest most physical offense in the NFL.  Huge Oline, big RB, two TE formations.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Worked pretty well for the 49ers.

Of course, you can't just decide that you're going to be physical. You've got to have the horses.

It would be like, for instance, the Denver Broncos thinking: "Hey, all we've got to do to beat New England is do what the Giants do."

Easy to say.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

The offense is a bit soft. Most physical guys there are Mankins and Gronk. Yeah, the oline may be big, but theyre almost always beat by physical teams. Size doesn't automatically define how physical a team is.

That being said, Denver, Indy and HOU are not physical. We won't be dealing with Cin until the AFC championship if it comes to that.

Baltimore is the biggest wild card. They're physical, but they're bange(this word really not allowed?)d up. Historically, theyre scheme has worked very well against the Pats offense. However, the Pats did put up 30 on them earlier in the season. A lot will depend on Suggs health. Joe Flacco does not scare me, but he has played well against the Pats (granted it was before the Talib acquisition).

Biggest concern is Pollard. He didn't injure a player last game, so he may be due to hurt two of our players this time!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

They lost two games in a four year span to the same team by a combined 7 points, games in which they had the lead in the last two minutes, and they're "soft"? If they won those games, or even one of them, is this an issue?

If anything the NFL is a soft league now. It's designed to be played the way they play. You can't play the way they played in '01.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The offense is a bit soft. Most physical guys there are Mankins and Gronk. Yeah, the oline may be big, but theyre almost always beat by physical teams. Size doesn't automatically define how physical a team is.

That being said, Denver, Indy and HOU are not physical. We won't be dealing with Cin until the AFC championship if it comes to that.

Baltimore is the biggest wild card. They're physical, but they're bange(this word really not allowed?)d up. Historically, theyre scheme has worked very well against the Pats offense. However, the Pats did put up 30 on them earlier in the season. A lot will depend on Suggs health. Joe Flacco does not scare me, but he has played well against the Pats (granted it was before the Talib acquisition).

Biggest concern is Pollard. He didn't injure a player last game, so he may be due to hurt two of our players this time!

[/QUOTE]

I actually think they'll get it together on offense a bit, shred Indy's D after Indy lets down from yesterday's big win.

From there, they'd go to Denver.  I just don't see Baltimore laying down, even if old and flawed.

[/QUOTE]

They haven't laid down, but they've never beaten Peyton in the history of that franchise. Flacco is also horrendous on the road.

That being said, what you just said is assuming HOU beats Cin. I'm not 100% sure of that. Of all the playoff teams (AFC and NFC). HOU is playing the worst. Cin has a good pass rush that is capable of disrupting any QB. Schaub is a choke job and that defense has looked worse and worse as the season has gone on. I'm not saying Cin will win, because Dalton is super inconsistent and they are yet to win a playoff game under Marvin...but this isn't a gimme for Hou.

Weird to think how many considered HOU to be the most complete team just a month ago.

Now theyre a team with:

An unclutch QB

A rb who has failed to rush for more than 46 yards outside of playing a bad Indy D

A defense that looks like a one man wrecking crew (J.J Watt)

A pretty bad special teams

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

The Texans game was hard hitting - and shows what they're capable of when everything comes together. However, the 49ers game also showed they couldn't do it twice in a row.

IMO, they will need to become aggressive on defense for the playoffs; the more turnovers ST and defense creates, the better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I actually think they'll get it together on offense a bit, shred Indy's D after Indy lets down from yesterday's big win.

From there, they'd go to Denver.  I just don't see Baltimore laying down, even if old and flawed.

[/QUOTE]

They haven't laid down, but they've never beaten Peyton in the history of that franchise. Flacco is also horrendous on the road.

That being said, what you just said is assuming HOU beats Cin. I'm not 100% sure of that. Of all the playoff teams (AFC and NFC). HOU is playing the worst. Cin has a good pass rush that is capable of disrupting any QB. Schaub is a choke job and that defense has looked worse and worse as the season has gone on. I'm not saying Cin will win, because Dalton is super inconsistent and they are yet to win a playoff game under Marvin...but this isn't a gimme for Hou.

Weird to think how many considered HOU to be the most complete team just a month ago.

Now theyre a team with:

An unclutch QB

A rb who has failed to rush for more than 46 yards outside of playing a bad Indy D

A defense that looks like a one man wrecking crew (J.J Watt)

A pretty bad special teams

[/QUOTE]

I basically said this same thing in a different thread. I would welcome Houston as our first matchup because Schaub has never shown he can come up in big games, their D looks weaker, and we have the run D to contain Arian Foster. Plus, our pass defense has shown improvement even since using Talib and Dennard at CB with McCourty at safety, and Houston lacks passing threats outside of AJ and Owen Daniels.

I'm still picking Houston to win this game, but I would not be shocked at all if Cincy pulls out the win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In a pass first league every O is softer than in earlier eras. A few teams are not too much that way, SF being one of course.

But I think the Patriots are moving and have been moving in the direction of being more physical than many teams. On O they went to double TE a couple of years ago. THen they rebuilt the RB corps. Now Woody is not "physical" though he is tough. And Vereen is strong but not a bull of course. But Ridley and Bolden are both physical runners though they both try to make cuts to break into open space. Well, shouldn't every RB try to do that? So their O is becoming more physical as it builds and fields one of the better running teams in the league - and built not on the big play but solid play inside and outside.

On D they have build a solid LB corps and some depth on the D line. That has resulted in being a top 6 run D and they have been especially good on third and fourth and short in stopping the run. So again, here, they have become more physical.

So I think the perception lags reality. If you were to rank teams on how physical they are (not were and not simply saying "not physcial" because they have such a great QB) I would say they are in the top eight in the league. Not at the very top but moving that way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Texans game was hard hitting - and shows what they're capable of when everything comes together. However, the 49ers game also showed they couldn't do it twice in a row.

IMO, they will need to become aggressive on defense for the playoffs; the more turnovers ST and defense creates, the better.

[/QUOTE]

Sure seemed that way, but I wonder if playing the 2nd game on a short week had anything to do with that. They certainly seemed more keyed up in the 2nd half.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

yeah right. no, cuz if they morphed into that team, they would be terrible as that team is now.

When the patriots spanked the rams, what happened to the rams? yeah they became lambs.

patriots are the best team the past 10+ years

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I know it's not the Patriot way but I have hated the last couple years how some teams bully the Patriots and the Patriots do their nice guy tactics and then it carries out on to the field and the Pats get roughed up.  I want the Patriots to go out and do some trash talking!  Imagine the trash Spikes could talk.  I bet BB could be a good trash talker to.

Trash talking can have advantages!  Ali used to talk so much trash that he had to win his fights in order to save face.  Forget this nice guy stuff, get mean and win SB's!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Generally, the Pats have been labelled soft...and sometimes have played to that description.  Need to close out a game?  Uh...not so good.  Need to get off the field on third down at critical times? In the past...awful. The Pats have NOT had the balls of steel they used to have.  4th and 1...defensively they wouldn't allow it.  The Pats made those plays that would be needed to win at critical times...or the kicks.  It was the other team throwing an INT, the other team dropping passes, the other team's defense not getting off the field on a critical third down.

HOWEVER...i think with Talib settling down the defensive backfield and Arrington sliding to the inside nickel spot, they've been MUCH MUCH better in that regard.  Turnovers are nice...but in the playoffs, teams aren't going to cough it up three or four times.  At some point, you need to get off the field after third down and get it back to your offense the old fashioned way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Does anyone else consider the Pats soft? I live in a rival teams city and i have never heard anyone else call the Pats soft except for people on these boards. The Pats have a very good record against the Steelers and Ravens. The 2 teams that have been the definition of smash mouth for the last decade. If the Pats are soft I hope they stay that way because I like watching the Pats play in January unlike the Jets who missed the playoffs again whose coach lives and dies with the running game.