Patriots Targeting 60 minutes...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Patriots Targeting 60 minutes...

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero was told the Patriots are interested in free agent Mike Wallace.

New England is desperate for someone to stretch the field on the outside, and they're expected to overhaul their receiving corps to some extent. Brandon Lloyd isn't that type of player, and he may be released after just one season with the club. Teaming deep threat Wallace up with Rob Gronkowski in the intermediate passing game and Wes Welker (assuming he re-signs) and Aaron Hernandez in the short attack would change the whole dynamic of the offense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seymonster. Show seymonster's posts

Re: Patriots Targeting 60 minutes...

we already have plenty guys who can drop balls

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Per pro football talk....

According to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, the Patriots are showing interest in Steelers receiver Mike Wallace.

As Salguero points out, interest and a contract are two very different things.  At a minimum, the Pats could be applying the Jedi mind trick to a Dolphins organization that already is motivated, by all appearances, to pursue Wallace.  If the Patriots can dupe the Dolphins into devoting more cash and cap space on a player whom they covet, it’s an advantage for the Pats, who compete directly with the Dolphins in the AFC East.

New England rarely does a cannon ball into the deep end of the free-agent pool.  It’s not unprecedented (e.g., Adalius Thomas), but it’s not common.  Unless they can persuade Wallace to take less than he’ll be offered elsewhere, signing Wallace would be an unlikely expenditure of the cap space Tom Brady’s new deal helped create.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Resign WELKER, then sign Wallace!  release Lloyd - saves 4 mil,  that's All you gotta do offensively then turn to Defense!  

Hope this is true, but the key still is to resign WELKER,  it will be like 07 season al over again but with our injury prone TEs!   Lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero was told the Patriots are interested in free agent Mike Wallace.

New England is desperate for someone to stretch the field on the outside, and they're expected to overhaul their receiving corps to some extent. Brandon Lloyd isn't that type of player, and he may be released after just one season with the club. Teaming deep threat Wallace up with Rob Gronkowski in the intermediate passing game and Wes Welker (assuming he re-signs) and Aaron Hernandez in the short attack would change the whole dynamic of the offense.

I hope not!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

In response to dwhite1220's comment:

I hope not!!

we have seen where our offense has gotten us the last few years...NOWHERE!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to Vladtheimpaler1's comment:

I hope not!!

Well, it has gotten this team to two superbowls and a Afc title game this year,  yes your correct nothin we didnt win a thing!   But when pats picked up Moss and WELKER (stallworth too),  I don't think anyone was complaining then!  And that was with a solid defense!  My point is, the pats don't have to tweak the offense much at all, they already lead the league, thats why grabbing a 'stretch' the field guy in mike Wallace plus resign WELKER, to me that's all you need Offensively!  Then turn to defensive side! And load up as much as they can....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

More agent talk. Misinformation to drive up interest (and price).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

More agent talk. Misinformation to drive up interest (and price).

Your probably right Muz.  Lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think Wallace is already a done deal with the Dolphins

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

In response to Vladtheimpaler1's comment:

I hope not!!

Well, it has gotten this team to two superbowls and a Afc title game this year,  yes your correct nothin we didnt win a thing!   But when pats picked up Moss and WELKER (stallworth too),  I don't think anyone was complaining then!  And that was with a solid defense!  My point is, the pats don't have to tweak the offense much at all, they already lead the league, thats why grabbing a 'stretch' the field guy in mike Wallace plus resign WELKER, to me that's all you need Offensively!  Then turn to defensive side! And load up as much as they can....

you make some good points,it would be nice to have a receiver who can strech the feild, and open up the middle,rather if its wallace or someone else

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

rkarp, I saw last night the Dolphins just tied up Hartline, do you think they'll shell out for Wallace as well? or move on to other needs (I know they're in pretty good shape cap wise)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well I don't know if we'll make a push for him or not, but it would certainly open up the field between the hashes! Lol!

I do think Belichick worried about him when we faced them a couple of years ago, and I've got to admit watching that game I feared him too afterward...talk about an athletic guy that can run. Wow.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I would hope not. All the good work to have CAP space would be comprimised by a receiver who has averaged only 60 catches per year the last 2 seasons. And his ego and pissy attitutde have finally strained the coaching staff of the Steelers.

Whoever we sign we need a few of them to be locker room leaders. Who can forget Max telling his team mates "climb on my shoulders boys" and who backed it up as a key player in the championship series.

Wallace is a locker room problem and for 60 catches or less I'd rather try someone else.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:

rkarp, I saw last night the Dolphins just tied up Hartline, do you think they'll shell out for Wallace as well? or move on to other needs (I know they're in pretty good shape cap wise)

Yes, I do. I think it is already a done deal. I also think if it is under $10 million, they bring back Long. Over $10m for Long they pass and go VERY hard for Vollmer

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Yes, I do. I think it is already a done deal. I also think if it is under $10 million, they bring back Long. Over $10m for Long they pass and go VERY hard for Vollmer

Why would anyone "go hard for Vollmer"

If Vollmer was 100% healthy he would have been tagged by the Patriots. It's been beaten to death but Vollmer's issue is not talent but health. Back surgery 2 years ago and the back being "creaky" this year makes it foolish for anyone to go hard for him.

Understand this....there are no OL and DL players in the NFL with bad backs who have long careers.

Vollmer may well be back here but for less money than he would have got without any back issues.

But to go hard after players that may be damaged is a good way to cripple your team.

Someone will kick Vollmer's tires but it will be done with caution.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

To the Pats Vollmer is a right tackle and RTs do not get contracts over around 7M per year. I think there is one RT with a contract above that and he was signed as a LT and failed there. Some team might look at his success a few years ago filling in for Light and think 'maybe he can play LT' and pay him a bonus amount based on that, but if they do, it will not be above 8M because that is maximum for a better than average LT. And with Vollmers medicals I think paying him at the top of RT moiney is problematic for any team.

Miami can replace Long on their roster with a RT as they have Martin to move in at LT. I am sure Vollmer is on their radar along with the other 3-4 premium RTs, but they also have big holes in their DBs that they need to fill as other holes on offense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

Resign WELKER, then sign Wallace!  release Lloyd - saves 4 mil,  that's All you gotta do offensively then turn to Defense!  

Hope this is true, but the key still is to resign WELKER,  it will be like 07 season al over again but with our injury prone TEs!   Lol

Like your brevity and plan here Noise with one exception--Pats will have to address Right tackle if Vollmer leaves and guard position if Thomas leaves--otherwise I like your Offensive mindset-I'd take Welker and Wallace,(the Welker and Wallace show), in a heartbeat even if it meant losing Woodhead and Lloyd to free up the space.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

i dont think there is any way we sign Wallace. We got big bucks invested in Gronk, AH and (hopefully) Welker. Cant see paying 4 recievers top $

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Pats probably have interest in Percy Harvin, doesn't mean they are going to go for him.

Pats probably have interest in Luck, doesn't mean they're going to trade for him.

Wallace is going to make more money than Bowe. Wallace is also pretty much just a one trick pony. Giving Wallace a long term deal is extremely risky because his only really great skill is his speed. If he has a leg injury that permanently affects his speed, then it's a bad signing. If by the end of the contract he loses some of that speed, then it's a bad signing.

Sorry, other than being really fast, there isn't much I like about Wallace.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well I don't know if we'll make a push for him or not, but it would certainly open up the field between the hashes! Lol!

I do think Belichick worried about him when we faced them a couple of years ago, and I've got to admit watching that game I feared him too afterward...talk about an athletic guy that can run. Wow.

Yeah exactly mthurl - he might not have the best work ethic or best 40 time, but on game day, boy he does sure look good.   I think the kid can fly, and pitt gave the dough to ant. Brown Instead...Wallace im sure wasn't happy about that,so a chip on shoulder,  and he knows by coming to NE , could not only  help him get to a SB, he'll have #12 throwing to him.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Taking $ out of the equation I would love to have Wallace on this team, let's not pretend he isn't a talent just because he's expensive.  If we have to spend big bucks on him or Welker, if we have to choose, I'd take Wallace and Edelmen in the slot in a heartbeat... also resigning Woody for more slot receptions wouldn't hurt.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Honestly, I would like it if the price was right...but the price WON'T be right. If he really wants 10 mill+, pass.

Sections
Shortcuts