Patriots to Franchise Wilfork

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Patriots to Franchise Wilfork

No link or anything yet but I heard Dan Davis highlight some of the day's sports notes and he said the following "today marks the first day teams can franchise players and most notably, the Patriots are expected to tag Vince Wilfork. He's on record for saying he won't take too kindly to that but...this is Bob Kraft we're talking about."

This was his 90-second sports wrap-up during the Colin Cowherd show.

(yes, he did take that final shot)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Patriots to Franchise Wilfork

I've got 1pm as the annoucement time for the patriots to let everyone know what is already a forgone conclusion! Franchising Wilfork...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Step one to an eventual trade, it seems.

I wonder:  will it be for a player or a draft pick?  If the latter, that's a lot of early picks and a lot of rookies for 2010.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Interesting report  by Comcast Sportsnet that Wilfork turned down $20-23 million guaranteed bonus in October.  Doesn't compare to Haynesworth's  $41, but nobody can expect teams to be as pathetically moronic as the Redskins' front office.  That's a pretty good bonus that Wilfork turned down.  That tells me that this situation could get ugly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from alcondragon. Show alcondragon's posts

I understand business and agree that players should be paid well, but their greed is starting to get rediculous. No single player is worth killing the team for. Take in fact Peyton Manning, yes he got them to the Super Bowl but he like Bret Farve cost them that same situation. At least Brady took a lower pay knowing it would help him to get the big prise.
    I myself would rather pay a bunch of hungry aggressive younger players rather than break the bank on one single player.
    Wilfork is good, no question but hes not worth all that money, he just isnt. Look at all the studs out their crying for the big dough. Most of them have no Super Bowl rings.
    I say trade him to a team that wants to pay the bigger dollars and build the team with more aggressive hungry players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

We love Wilfork he's a great player and I'd say the Pats made a decent offer. I cannot see any other teams paying any more than that even if Wilfork hit the free agent market(which he won't) this year. Nose tackle just isn't the kind of big money position that a pass rushing end can demand. 

Nobody can say NE didn't offer this guy a decent deal. Now should they have locked him up earlier? Yes, but they didn't so this is the end result. 

Perhaps they can tag and trade him, though who is going to be willing to give up much to take him and the huge salary he's going to demand? I don't know, there's a sucker born every minute (ie Washington) but I can't really see a team willing to give up anything for him when they know he will have to hit the market at some point anyway. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots to Franchise Wilfork:
    I understand business and agree that players should be paid well, but their greed is starting to get rediculous. No single player is worth killing the team for. Take in fact Peyton Manning, yes he got them to the Super Bowl but he like Bret Farve cost them that same situation. At least Brady took a lower pay knowing it would help him to get the big prise. I myself would rather pay a bunch of hungry aggressive younger players rather than break the bank on one single player. Wilfork is good, no question but hes not worth all that money, he just isnt. Look at all the studs out their crying for the big dough. Most of them have no Super Bowl rings. I say trade him to a team that wants to pay the bigger dollars and build the team with more aggressive hungry players.
    Posted by alcondragon

Great post, alcondragon. Specifically the mention of Manning. He makes a ton of money, and he's about to get paid even more. Does he do more for his team than anyone else in the league? Probably. But he's going to HAVE to, because the Colts will not have enough $$$$$$$$ to spread around to anyone else.

No one loves Big Vince more than me. I own one of his jerseys and made a contribution to his charity. We have a giant possum that comes to the back door of our house for food, and we call him "Big Vince" for crying out loud! I hope he's with the Pats FOREVER! But if he wants to make the kind of coin that's going to cripple this team, he'll have to go.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

the last day to tender the franchise tag is Feb 25th, don't expect anything until the very last minute.  I think both sides will do some talking but if it is true he turned down 23 guaranteed I don't think there's much to talk about.

Franchise hope he signs the franchise and trade.  Regardless the Pats need to draft a NT, I think Cam Thomas might be that guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Trade him to Tampa...I think it would be win-win-win.  They get a centerpiece on a reforming team...they have 10 picks and a few young players...VW gets back to Florida.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

THE BEST SOLUTION TO WHAT COULD BE AN EXTREMELY ACRIMONIOUS SITUATION BETWEEN WILFOLK AND THE PATRIOTS,IF A LONG TERM DEAL CANNOT BE REACHED(A VERY DISTASTEFUL TACTIC THAT BELICHICK AND KRAFT HAVE OPTED FOR FAR TOO OFTEN,TO THE TRUE DETRIMENT OF THE TEAM) MIGHT BE TO ASSIGN HIM THE NON-EXCLUSIVE FRANCHISE TAG...LET HIM NEGOTIATE WITH WHOEVER HE AND HIS AGENT CHOOSE AND WHEN HE RECIEVES AN OFFER THAT HE DEEMS TO BE ACCEPTABLE LET THE PATS AND THAT TEAM WORK OUT A TRADE.UNFORTUNATELY,IF THEY DO NOT TURN AWAY FROM THEIR CURRENT MODUS OPERANDI THAT RESULTS IN THE LOSS OF PLAYERS WHOSE ABSCENCE LESSENS(AND OFTEN SIGNIFICANTLY SO)THE QUALITY OF THE TEAM.TOO OFTEN THIS METHOD OF NEGOTIATING  SPEAKS MORE TO THE EGO OF THOSE WHO ADOPT THIS TACK THAN AN UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT IS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE ORGANIZATIONS THEY LEAD.LET US THE LATTER IS NOT THE CASE WITH ROBERT AND BILL AND THAT THEALTER THEIR CURRENT NEGOTIATING SYSTEM POST HASTE.

Sections
Shortcuts