Patriots trading Partners for the Draft...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Patriots trading Partners for the Draft...

Maybe I am wrong but I will be shocked if the Patriots don't trade a second round pick to Cleveland for a 3rd, 5th, and a pick to round it out a 7th this year or a 4th or 5th next year.

Cleveland as it stands right now owns 4 3rd round picks and 3 5th round picks. Patriots have 3 3rd round picks and no 3rd or 5th round picks... seems like a match made in heaven for both teams.

What do you all think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: Patriots trading Partners for the Draft...

if Not Cleveland who else has the picks to move as easily or is there someone who has a major reason they want to move up into the second round? Any team out there w/o a second round pick? that is the other option I guess.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

I know you meant 3 2nd round picks. I know so little about drafting but I love watching it and always watch till the very end, and I read everthing posted about  it on this message board. I've wondered about not having a third, but not sure they need it -unless they want to use it to pick up one  of the restricted free agents

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

NE will not help out Man-boobs.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3839316. Show user_3839316's posts

In Response to Patriots trading Partners for the Draft...:
    Maybe I am wrong but I will be shocked if the Patriots don't trade a second round pick to Cleveland for a 3rd, 5th, and a pick to round it out a 7th this year or a 4th or 5th next year. Cleveland as it stands right now owns 4 3rd round picks and 3 5th round picks. Patriots have 3 3rd round picks and no 3rd or 5th round picks... seems like a match made in heaven for both teams. What do you all think?
    Posted by DaBlade
    it ONLY MAKES SENSE for ne to trade a 2nd round for  rounds 3-5 and a good de lb or rt if cleveland has any we could use.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Well, The reason I listed the trade as being a second from the Patriots for a third and 5th this year plus a pick to round it out is the draft value board. Just for example to make it work out on the draft value board lets say this is the trade:

Patriots trades #53 (2nd round pick worth 370 points)

Cleveland trades #71 (3rd round pick worth 235 points), #134 (5th round pick worth 39 Points) 

So at this point they have 96 points left over which is equal to the 101st pick and Cleveland owns the 105th so they could include this as well to finish the deal. My guess is they won't want to and would rather include a 7th this year where they have some flexibility plus a 4th or 5th next year instead. 
    I agree they don't make that deal unless they want to make a trade for someones RFA. I think it is at least a possibility if they are truly interested in Olsen or Maybe it is what it would take to sweeten a deal for Branch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Cleveland has #7 and #38 but they have many needsa that having another pick at #53 would be very beneficial to them just about guaranteeing them 3 players with a 1st round tallent grade as there are right around 50 players that recieved that grade on average this year. And this still gives the Patriots 3 picks in that "magical" top 50 but also adds a 3rd round (which we don't currently own) pick that we will need if we want to trade for a RFA like Olsen or Branch or Morrison. And a 5th that we dont currently own either. 

Anyway I see your point on the draft this year and next not really working under the "old" draft pick point system but it is a starting point that I think teams will use at least.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

the only way BB trades a 2nd round ick is for a 1st rounder next year

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots trading Partners for the Draft...:
    In Response to Re: Patriots trading Partners for the Draft... : I figured you used the draft value board, but I think this board has to be wiped clean and drawn up again for the next two drafts. This draft is loaded with underclassmen who have declared this year to cash in before a rookie wage scale is in place. Every analyst/ head coach draft evaluator is saying players taken right up until the end of the second round this year will have frist round grades on them. Consequently the 2011 draft will be depleted. Not nearly as many seniors with top tier talent will be there as well the underclassmen will likely view a college degree as a little more valuable and stay in school. The Pats 53rd pick this year is worth more than "370 points" because of this. In most cases if Bill trades down it is because a team has sought him out to trade up not because Bill is looking to trade down. Teams trade up to target specific players and are normally willing to give up a little extra to do so. So, like I said if I'm trading the 53rd pick its for a 1st rounder next year or a 2nd next year and a 3rd this year.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan

I agree.

Those draft point charts need to be updated to reflect the decreased value of high firsts and the increased value of second and third round picks in the current salary environment. 

In years past, I've read that many teams are really afraid of the high firsts due to the huge salaries these unproven players command, the crap shoot involved in signing and paying them and the downside to the franchise of having them turn out to be busts.

Vernon Ghoulston and Jamarcus Russel come to mind as examples. 

For the same reasons the second and third round guys have become much more attractive to NFL personel guys because their potential is still high but their salaries are much more reasonable.

This situation has really favored the pats this year, with their low first and three seconds.  Those seconds are extremely valuable and I'd be looking to get a lot more in return than the numbers of the trade value chart would suggest if we were to trade down with one of them, like maybe a two thirds and a fifth?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

timsandra I disagree  that the only way he trades a second this year is for a first next year... While the value (player wise) will be there in round one next year there is no way they want 3 first round picks in a weak draft. The Salary cost would be preventative. Even if there is a Rookie Salary slot system for draft picks they will still make some pretty big numbers just nothing crazy like we have seen. So a team like the Patriots would be very unlikely to use both first round picks in any given year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3839316. Show user_3839316's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots trading Partners for the Draft... : I agree. Those draft point charts need to be updated to reflect the decreased value of high firsts and the increased value of second and third round picks in the current salary environment.  In years past, I've read that many teams are really afraid of the high firsts due to the huge salaries these unproven players command, the crap shoot involved in signing and paying them and the downside to the franchise of having them turn out to be busts. Vernon Ghoulston and Jamarcus Russel come to mind as examples.  For the same reasons the second and third round guys have become much more attractive to NFL personel guys because their potential is still high but their salaries are much more reasonable. This situation has really favored the pats this year, with their low first and three seconds.  Those seconds are extremely valuable and I'd be looking to get a lot more in return than the numbers of the trade value chart would suggest if we were to trade down with one of them, like maybe a two thirds and a fifth?
    Posted by unclealfie
    What we need for a second pick is another teams 3-4-5 and a decent de lb or rt and if you notice how bad we draft in round 2-3 we are better off trading for a good quality starter for atleast one of our 2nd round picks

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ben-umass. Show ben-umass's posts

how sweet would it be to trade our last 2nd rounder for another first next year. if we trade it to the right team, we could potentially have 2 first round picks in the top 10 in '11. and with the depth of this draft, i dont understand the logic of trading a 2nd for a 3rd and a 5th. why not just take the better player who would probably be a 1st any other year in the 2nd round

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

I tend to agree that this is the year we actually use all of our picks to load up on good talent, or at alternate, we trade one of them to a team targeting a player in the second and get (hopefully) a first rounder for next year as the return deal. I think that's somewhat sound for teams like perhaps a Minnesota or NO Saints, e.g., teams that probably figure to do well and want to maximize their opportunity to win now / next 2-3 years..

Besides, it isn't a 'given' that first rounders for next year will be cheap, right? I mean, there is still some risk that perhaps the rookies really won't be given that much of a short end of a stick? I'd have to assume that ALL PLAYERS, even if they don't agree with a rookie getting 100X more than them, probably still benefit from those gigantic contracts in terms of what they may ask for down the line...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

NE will not help out Man-boobs.....
    Posted by m1021us

I would hope that the Pats would trade with Cleveland if it helps them out. Cleveland needs a second...Pats need a third...trading with someone ain't sleeping with someone...if it works, they should do it...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I could see Bill trading #53 for a 4th this year and 2nd next year. Or trading down for 3rd and 2011 4th. As most of you seem to mention, the value has to be there. Belichick and Caesario will have the 2011 draft value board in place before they trade into the 2011 draft. With two firsts in 2011 I don`t see them trading a 2nd and getting a 1st in 2011. When that happens usually a player is highly coveted in the 2nd. It could happen, but certainly don`t see it happening straight up. Seems unrealistic. If some one wants to post a Patriots mock for 2011, I`d like to see it. There are some good players available and with two firsts you could see to impact players on both sides of the ball drafted. I see Suh as an ideal replacement for Seymour, but that is not happening, so the Pats could draft their ideal 3-4 DE or OLb in 2011. I like Green at WR for one of the firsts, but the 2011 draft is difficult to project without the 2010 draft on the books.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots trading Partners for the Draft... : I would hope that the Pats would trade with Cleveland if it helps them out. Cleveland needs a second...Pats need a third...trading with someone ain't sleeping with someone...if it works, they should do it...
    Posted by mountainmonkey

Yeah, I don't see how Cleveland as a trading partner is any different than any other nondivisional AFC team at this point. If you can make a trade that is in the best interest of your franchise, you should be willing to make it, personal issues aside (I mean, it probably also depends on who initiates the trade)... I can really only see the exception to that being a divisional rival if only because there is a chance it would backfire and really set your team back from its first goal, e.g., winning that division. I mean, and even if the Jets called up and offered some form of crazy deal, you'd still consider it... if they want to give their first for this year and their one for next for Maroney, I'm sure everyone on here would quickly jump at that opportunity...  ain't happening...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

i HOPE THEY USE THEIR LOWER ROUND PICKS(6TH'S AND 7TH'S) TO trade up to GET "THEIR GUYS" this year.  They just have too many holes this year.  The big exception to that is if they trade picks this year for established players, then the trade can make sense.  I would not trade down unless it is real good deal.  Next year is too far away as wel, unless you are dumping an unwanted player for picks next year.  They have enough picks this year in quantity, with their comp picks they can't trade.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Cleveland has #7 and #38 but they have many needsa that having another pick at #53 would be very beneficial to them just about guaranteeing them 3 players with a 1st round tallent grade as there are right around 50 players that recieved that grade on average this year. And this still gives the Patriots 3 picks in that "magical" top 50 but also adds a 3rd round (which we don't currently own) pick that we will need if we want to trade for a RFA like Olsen or Branch or Morrison. And a 5th that we dont currently own either.  Anyway I see your point on the draft this year and next not really working under the "old" draft pick point system but it is a starting point that I think teams will use at least.
    Posted by DaBlade
    Here's a list of guys you can scratch off as trading partners for the Patriots: Indy,NYJ,NYG,Cleveland and Minnesota the only way they trade with any of these teams is if the trade is so decidedly one sided that not to trade would make the Patriots look stupid.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Too many holes on this year's team for Bill to trade for next year's. We have two first rounders next year, we don't need much else. Belichick is trading out of the first to get KC's 36 & 50, not to give Manjackass anymore picks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

A few things said by BB and Kraft makes me think they trade very little for 2011 and look to add players this year.  When talking about brady mr kraft said he wants to stay and wants to have the team built around him which means bringing in players to help win. 

I like the idea of a trade of one of the 2nd round picks for a 3rd and a 5th.  I also posted in another thread that the Vikes might be looking to trade up to grab Iupati or Pouncy if they are available. 

What I suggested could happen is Pats send 22 and a 7th to the Vikes and NE gets the vikes # 30th, 3rd round pick # 93 and 5th rnd #162 based on points the 22nd is worth 780, the 30th 620, 93rd 128 and 162 26.6 total 774.6.  One of the Vikes biggest needs is their OL, the top guard or Center is who they need to bring in, then inthe 2nd they get their LB or CB. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I read somewhere carolina has no picks in the first two rounds. they maybe needing some draft picks .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I read somewhere carolina has no picks in the first two rounds. they maybe needing some draft picks .
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Yea, Carolina traded their 1st rounder to SF.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illmatic1. Show Illmatic1's posts

Well, since we should have traded for Anquan Boldin, we should trade our 1st rounder for Brandon Marshall. Then use all our 2nd rounders on defensive help and possibly a RB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illmatic1. Show Illmatic1's posts

We could also trade our 47th and 53rd pick for Atlanta's 1st rounder. Atlanta has no 2nd rounders and I would love to draft Graham and Matthews. Or Kindle, Weatherspoon, Odrick, Griffen and Matthews. We need a solid RB, that's what will make us elite again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

Are you kidding me ?

You actually think BB would even pick up the phone to talk with Eric "the " Rat ?

In fact , in a rare display of bonified humor  , BB said as much last year at a predraft presser .
     ( To para-phrase )

Questioner : "Are you actively talking with potential trade partners for the upcoming ( '09 ) Draft ? "

BB : " Well we always keep the line of communication open to all the teams ...eh ...um .. well almost all the teams "

The room burst in laughter .

I understand that Holgrem is now the big cheese in Cleveland , but as long as Mangini is involved with the Browns ...they are officially persona non gratis to the Patriots organization .

PS - I DON'T THINK THERE'S ANY WAY THE PATS ARE TRADING OUT OF THE 2ND ROUND ( UP OR DOWN )

The only exception being for a 2011 first rounder

In fact , it wouldn't shock me to see them once again trade out of the 1st round and aquire yet another 2nd ...which as most people are coming to realize is this Drafts SWEET SPOT .