Patriots trading Partners for the Draft...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwsf4ever. Show wwsf4ever's posts

Re: Patriots trading Partners for the Draft...

I understand the "DRAFT VALUES BOARD".... but I also know that only someone who is not paying attention would trade out of the 2nd round into the 3rd round just because the other team MAY throw in some more stuff (KRAP).

Sorry, but I believe that even BB knows this draft will have the highest quality players through two rounds of any recently passed or soon to come up.  Therefore "IF" he has players available that fit his needs, and that he believes are good players, why just trade to a lower spot to have a Spot filler in every round?  I am sorry, but that would be a little ignorant unless ( as was said before) someone gave him a far superior offer.

Since next years draft is expected to be short on seniors, and has no reason for underclassment to come out in numbers... given the draftee cap that is expected...  Trading a high pick this year for anything other than a super high next year would be giving away a first round talent for a lower quality player.

HMMM?

I think this year BB may actually use all of his picks and offer his #2 next year for a 3rd this year- Since he has (2) #1's next year he doesn't need the #2 anyway in a underachieving draft.

YEP I said BB may trade away some of next years picks to get himself a 3rd rounder this year.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwsf4ever. Show wwsf4ever's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots trading Partners for the Draft...:
    A few things said by BB and Kraft makes me think they trade very little for 2011 and look to add players this year.  When talking about brady mr kraft said he wants to stay and wants to have the team built around him which means bringing in players to help win.  I like the idea of a trade of one of the 2nd round picks for a 3rd and a 5th.  I also posted in another thread that the Vikes might be looking to trade up to grab Iupati or Pouncy if they are available.  What I suggested could happen is Pats send 22 and a 7th to the Vikes and NE gets the vikes # 30th, 3rd round pick # 93 and 5th rnd #162 based on points the 22nd is worth 780, the 30th 620, 93rd 128 and 162 26.6 total 774.6.  One of the Vikes biggest needs is their OL, the top guard or Center is who they need to bring in, then inthe 2nd they get their LB or CB. 
    Posted by Pats7393

SO we are giving them extar "Draft value" - When they have a player that they covet?  REALLY?  Now that is asinine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NotPickinPeyton. Show NotPickinPeyton's posts

I would rather see them trade something from next year to get more picks this year.  I actually think that since this draft is so full of talent (given the aformentioned reasons) that BB may trade a second next year to get a 3rd this year.  Thereby giving him a third that he may covet in a deep draft, while letting go of a second that he has a cover for (with 2 1sts) in a weaker draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Are you kidding me ? Posted by CaptFoxboro

hey CP. I like that avatar. you should email Kraft and make a suggestion he try that out with the silver helmet

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from philbert. Show philbert's posts

The more I  look at this draft the more I think the sweet spot for NE is from 33-38, at most 40 in terms of the most economical picks to get the first player they need. 
    Unless Brandon Graham is still there at 22, I'd would hope either Detroit, TB, KC or even Cleveland, Ratgini notwithstanding, is willing to part with their 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up. My thinking is that one or more of the top sixty players of first round quality drop into the third round.
      And if SL were willing, I'd gladly give up NE's 1st and 4th for their 2nd and 3rd. There would be great value in those two picks.   Also,  it would be a seller's market  for NE the night and day between the 1st round and the beginning of the second round and I believe NE can drive some real hard bargins for that pick. You can be certain that someone will overpay for that pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

PICK # 33 = GOLD

Savvy Gm's would rather have the 1st pick in Round #2 than the last few picks in Round 1 .

The new overnight process between Rnds 1 & 2 ( combined with the Frenzy of knowing a guy u really , really want is still on the board is going to result in an amazing sellers market at the top of Round 2 .

The Rams will not part with that pick lightly
    ( Nor will the Lions , Bucs , Chiefs , etc. )

Hopefully this sets the Pats up for some nice Wheelin' - Dealin' .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NotPickinPeyton. Show NotPickinPeyton's posts

The more I  look at this draft the more I think the sweet spot for NE is from 33-38, at most 40 in terms of the most economical picks to get the first player they need.  Unless Brandon Graham is still there at 22, I'd would hope either Detroit, TB, KC or even Cleveland, Ratgini notwithstanding, is willing to part with their 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up. My thinking is that one or more of the top sixty players of first round quality drop into the third round.   And if SL were willing, I'd gladly give up NE's 1st and 4th for their 2nd and 3rd. There would be great value in those two picks.   Also,  it would be a seller's market  for NE the night and day between the 1st round and the beginning of the second round and I believe NE can drive some real hard bargins for that pick. You can be certain that someone will overpay for that pick.
    Posted by philbert

OKAY now humor us and tell us what kinds of things you believe would be offered for the first pick of day 2.......

Remember now- we have already given up our first pick to get this pick... and that was the 22nd choice (in terms of quality) out of the top 60.  Now we have dropped back to 33.... + a pick OUTSIDE of the magical top 60 which you speak.   SO what do you propose we would get with the #33... which would be better than what we could have gotten with the #22.... and still would keep us with a pick within the magical top 60 (though you said the sweet spot is under #40).

If you keep trying to outsmart the world and overthink the draft you end up stepping on your own junk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from philbert. Show philbert's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots trading Partners for the Draft... : OKAY now humor us and tell us what kinds of things you believe would be offered for the first pick of day 2....... Remember now- we have already given up our first pick to get this pick... and that was the 22nd choice (in terms of quality) out of the top 60.  Now we have dropped back to 33.... + a pick OUTSIDE of the magical top 60 which you speak.   SO what do you propose we would get with the #33... which would be better than what we could have gotten with the #22.... and still would keep us with a pick within the magical top 60 (though you said the sweet spot is under #40). If you keep trying to outsmart the world and overthink the draft you end up stepping on your own junk.
    Posted by NotPickinPeyton

It's not that 33rd is better than the 22nd. It's just that the picks that many mocks have going to NE are DE's or a TE ranked in the 30+ range for BPA, or a position BB does not normally use first round picks on such as WR, RB, OLB
    (Kindle, Graham).  He has historically picked a DE, NT or TE. So if you are looking at available DE's in your first round, Odrick or Dunlap will be likely choices.  Odrick may not even be there at 22.   But as BPA rankings Odrick is rated in the 30's and Dunlap in the late 20's to 30's and his stock is falling. So, either may be considered reaches at 22. But, if you think that either Odrick or Dunlap is a viable replacement for Seymour, then spend the 22 on them and forget the trade.  If you  think BB will break tradition of not drafting OLB's in the first round, and draft Graham or Kindle if they are available, then forget the trade.

But if not, then I am just saying that a 33-38 they still have a chance to get a player of about the same quality as at 22. There should be a decent selection of  RB, WR, TE, and OL at the second round.

If this draft truly has 60 or so first round quality picks the more you have the better. If that's the case why not get two quality players for one. Chances are that one of the top 60 or so falls into the 3rd round, and the reason for getting a high 3rd rounder.
    There are enough holes to fill: DE, OL, OLB, WR, RB, TE at least. That's six right there. If you can fill five of them with first round quality picks, I don't think you would be stepping on your junk.

As far as the first pick of Day 2, who knows what may be offered up. It depends how desparate the other team to get the player they have their heart set on after thinking about it. But even if there was nothing worth trading for, I still think  I would rather have the 33 and 65 picks rather than the 22 and what is now 119 pick.