Patriots training camp report Saturday August 3rd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Patriots training camp report Saturday August 3rd

Per Derek Havens @Patriotshaven

• The New England Patriots took the field Saturday morning in shorts and shells for their eighth training camp practice.
    • Injury notes:

Absent: Marcus Cannon, Ras-I Dowling, Jermaine Cunningham, Jake Ballard, Armond Armstead, Kevin Haslem, Nate Ebner, Lavasier Tuinei, and Tavon Wilson

Present, but not participating: Michael Jenkins, Mark Harrison, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Bolden, Dan Connolly and Elvis Fisher

Good news, Julian Edelman was active in Saturday’s session after limping around a bit Friday.

Devin McCourty was not wearing a red non-contact jersey today. He had been wearing it to this point through camp.
    • Brady did not receive his normal amount of reps and spent most of practice talking on the sidelines. A birthday gift from Bill Belichick, perhaps? I would think so.
    • Tim Tebow had a rough practice. Both him and Ryan Mallett got a lot of work Saturday, but Tebow struggled from the get go. It’s amazing how long he holds onto the football at times; I’m talking about 10-12 seconds, which is ridiculous. It’s not all bad, but when it’s bad, it’s really bad.
      I talked to Tebow after practice and my biggest takeaway was how he genuinely cares about his fans. He spent a lot of time signing autographs and taking pictures, fans loved it.
    • Mallett looked pretty good. The third-year quarterback has gotten better each day of camp, which is encouraging. He still needs some adjustment to his throwing motion, more velocity on his passes and improving his accuracy.
    • I have said it before and I’ll say it again, Kenbrell Thompkins is making the team. The undrafted rookie receiver has looked impressive in almost every practice and I would say barring injury, he is a lock at this point. Even better, Brady seems to trust him and looks his way, which is not always the case with new targets.
    • Undrafted rookie tight end Zach Sudfeld received a lot of reps and continues to impress. He displayed great hands Saturday and showed his athleticism on several occasions. I am starting to believe he makes the team.
    • Rookie linebacker Jamie Collins stood out again today as he intercepted a deflected Tebow pass. His ability to change direction is amazing given his size, but you could definitely tell that he was a defensive back at one point. Two years ago at Southern Mississippi he was playing safety, now he looks like he will be rotating at outside linebacker for the Patriots. From what I’ve seen, he looks like he could be a playmaker for this defense.
    • Alfonso Dennard watched from the sidelines quite a bit for the third straight day as cornerbacks rotated his place. Unlike Friday’s practice, McCourty stayed at safety.
    • Logan Ryan spent a lot of time on the field. Ryan held his own for the majority of the snap, but I have yet to see the aggressive play he was known for in college. As for Dennard, it’s still unclear whether he is dealing with an injury or if the team is worried about is pending legal situation.
    • Have you ever seen a 350 (plus) pound man attempt a field goal? Neither had I until Saturday morning. Vince Wilfork attempted a short kick, which was low and wide left. Needless to say, the defensive captain won’t be replacing Stephen Gostkowski if an injury were to occur.
    • The team has Sunday off, but will return to the practice field on Monday before their trip to Philadelphia.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Patriots training camp report Saturday August 3rd

Tebow suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccdkkkkkkkkkks! God, I dislike that guy! To think people actually think Tebow can replace Mallet or, God forbid, Brady makes me so angry! 

Listen to this crude, he threw 2 INTs, his mechanics are terrible and he holds the ball too long, but he loves his fans. Who cares if he loves his fans? If I had people worshipping the ground I walked on even though it is unwarranted I would love them too! 

Cut him, please! Ryan Mallet is a more competent QB in everyway! Don't waste a spot on a QB who can't throw! What next? A WR who can't catch or an OL who can't block? Gimme a break!

Side note, I'm glad Thompson and Sudfeld are getting reps with Brady. Boyce and Dobson better get into Brady's ear or Thompson will cement himself as Brady's number 2 and once Tom picks favorites, good luck trying to get him to look off. Amendola/Edelman already have Brady's eye as his Welker 2.0s. 

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

Tebow suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccdkkkkkkkkkks! God, I dislike that guy! To think people actually think Tebow can replace Mallet or, God forbid, Brady makes me so angry! 

Listen to this crude, he threw 2 INTs, his mechanics are terrible and he holds the ball too long, but he loves his fans. Who cares if he loves his fans? If I had people worshipping the ground I walked on even though it is unwarranted I would love them too! 

Cut him, please! Ryan Mallet is a more competent QB in everyway! Don't waste a spot on a QB who can't throw! What next? A WR who can't catch or an OL who can't block? Gimme a break!

Side note, I'm glad Thompson and Sudfeld are getting reps with Brady. Boyce and Dobson better get into Brady's ear or Thompson will cement himself as Brady's number 2 and once Tom picks favorites, good luck trying to get him to look off. Amendola/Edelman already have Brady's eye as his Welker 2.0s. 

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

Great, Great post.  I agree 100%.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Why does Tim Tebow elicit such strong emotions from posters who are normally level headed and cool headed? Just the mention of his name makes them annoyed, agitated and angry. I just don't get it.

He's just a fringe player who will only make the team if Belichick thinks he can contribute. It doesn't matter to me if he makes the team or not but if he does there will be a flurry of threads started by perturbed and hysterical fans calling for Belichick's head like some colossal injustice has been done to them.

Oh, and thanks for posting this training camp report TFB12.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah, Tebow gets overblown reactions in both directions--those who love him and those who hate him.  I think it's pretty obvious that most of the emotion is related to all the hype around him because of his overt religiousity.  Those who love that kind of thing promote him more than he deserves and that causes an overblown reaction from those who either don't like the hype or don't like religiousity. 

A more fair perspective is that the guy is a poor passer (by NFL standards) and a mediocre decision-maker, but he does seem to be a hard worker with decent physical skills and a knack for making things happen under pressure. I think BB has him in camp because he's more intriguing than the typical third string QB, he has won in the league before, and he is a good practice QB because he can scramble a bit and do some things with his feet that Brady and Mallet can't do.   He'll stick with the team if BB thinks filling a roster spot with a third QB is useful.  BB hasn't kept a third QB for a while, but maybe he's thinking having one with Brady's age isn't a bad thing.  And if he's not 100% comfortable with Mallet yet (which I don't think he is), then having a caretaker back-up like Tebow who has some game experience maybe isn't a bad thing. Plus Tebow probably does help in practice because of his different style.  

Still, Tebow will be competing with a bunch of other "nice-to-haves" at the bottom of the roster.  He'll have to prove to BB that he can provide more value than a developmental player who can either contribute on special teams or eventually move into the rotation at a key position. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Okay Coach,you've cut him because among other things you dislike him. The rest of us will wait on B.B. I wonder how many players BB has cut because he didn't like them ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

Tebow as a FB and I have no problem 

with him making the team.

(Bruschi) ," I think this is what they were looking for, they aint got it...they aint got it".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I was not in favor of signing Tebow because he's such a distraction and not very skilled as a passer and this is a passing league.

But Tebow elicits such response because of his popularity, religion being just one part of that, not even a major part.  

He won the Heisman, two national championships and an awful lot of football games as a college QB. By most people's reckoning who follow college football, he was among the greatest college football players ever. He then took a 1-4 Denver team to the playoffs where they beat Pittsburgh in a huge upset.

Also, he's got model looks and women love the guy. It is what it is, who cares why some people love him, they just do. But let's get real, nobody would have ever heard of him if it weren't for football and his success on the field. Religion is just a small part of the equation.

That said, clearly there are a lot of people who can't stand him because of his religious beliefs, many of whom have only a cursory idea of his football exploits.  Those folks need to get over themselves too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Why does Tim Tebow elicit such strong emotions from posters who are normally level headed and cool headed? Just the mention of his name makes them annoyed, agitated and angry. I just don't get it.

He's just a fringe player who will only make the team if Belichick thinks he can contribute. It doesn't matter to me if he makes the team or not but if he does there will be a flurry of threads started by perturbed and hysterical fans calling for Belichick's head like some colossal injustice has been done to them.

1.) He can't throw, make a read or do anything that doesn't involve breaking the pocket and running the ball. The problem here is that he is a GD QB! His job is to throw accurate passes, read defenses and go through his progressions and find the open WR. He's a bad QB...period! 

2.) His annoying fan base who thinks that he can do anything if he puts his mind to it and try. Well, hello? Does that mean he hasn't been focused towards learning QB? Because he's only gotten worst since he entered the league. Compared to Mallet who, if TFB can lead a team to 12 wins Mallet can lead that same team to 9, has only improved since he became a pro. 

3.) Overvalued... McMoron drafted this guy in round 1...BB might cut a WR, TE, DE, DT or CB to keep this guy. Why? Because he's a "winner"? So was Colt McKoy, but the Browns cut him. Winning in college doesn't always translate to winning in the pros.

4.) The Brett Favre effect. No matter what this guy does, good or bad, he's all good. Brett Farve throws a bonehead INT to end the game? Brett Farve is a gunslinger, just Brett being Brett. Tebow makes terrible throws for 50 minutes of a 60 minute game, get a favorable TO and lucks a win? Tebow is so clutch, Tebow Time! T-Ball! 

This is why I dislike Tebow.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Thanks for the camp update, TFB12.

Man O man, I'll mind my P's and Q's around this forum when the subject is that quarterback who will go nameless in future ATJ posts.  I happen to agree, however, that if BB sees that individual's presence on the 53-man roster being a positive thing then he'll be here.  If BB does not view him in a positive light he will not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Towelie-Toke. Show Towelie-Toke's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

i wonder how much is related to him wearing his religion/emotions on his sleeve? Just like religion or any other controversial subject, emotions/strong opinions emerge.

The other x-factor is money.  Do the Patriots get any money if things like Tebow jerseys sell?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Yeah, Tebow gets overblown reactions in both directions--those who love him and those who hate him.  I think it's pretty obvious that most of the emotion is related to all the hype around him because of his overt religiousity.  Those who love that kind of thing promote him more than he deserves and that causes an overblown reaction from those who either don't like the hype or don't like religiousity. 

A more fair perspective is that the guy is a poor passer (by NFL standards) and a mediocre decision-maker, but he does seem to be a hard worker with decent physical skills and a knack for making things happen under pressure. I think BB has him in camp because he's more intriguing than the typical third string QB, he has won in the league before, and he is a good practice QB because he can scramble a bit and do some things with his feet that Brady and Mallet can't do.   He'll stick with the team if BB thinks filling a roster spot with a third QB is useful.  BB hasn't kept a third QB for a while, but maybe he's thinking having one with Brady's age isn't a bad thing.  And if he's not 100% comfortable with Mallet yet (which I don't think he is), then having a caretaker back-up like Tebow who has some game experience maybe isn't a bad thing. Plus Tebow probably does help in practice because of his different style.  

Still, Tebow will be competing with a bunch of other "nice-to-haves" at the bottom of the roster.  He'll have to prove to BB that he can provide more value than a developmental player who can either contribute on special teams or eventually move into the rotation at a key position. 

My take on Tebow is this. There is history there with Joshy and also with the former Patriot A.H. After hearing the Pats made up the story about A.H. in Cali w/Brady to hide the fact they wanted him away from N.E. makes me believe they realized some concerns with A.H. enough to mutally agree(BB and Josh) that it would be worth bringing him in. So first and foremost I believe the Josh connection combined with Tebow possibly mentoring A.H. like he was supposed to in Florida was a factor. Im sure BB never was amazed watching Tebow on film and as soon as he arrived, BB had him doing everything from playing gunner to cleaning goal posts so he obviously wasnt brought here to soley play QB and isnt a good enough one to warrant that. What they ARE doing is attempting to make him a more NFL ready Qb and to carry him as a 3rd QB is 2 fold. Lets think back to when Brady was drafted(we all saw Brady 6, right?) Weiss had a report that said he was too slow in all his motions. Slow to deliver, slow to read,etc. So brady saw that and it motivated him to come back quicker. The thing with Tebow he already has all the tools they try to teach guys at the next level. Leadership, toughness,charisma, smarts,etc. He just lacks the actual mechanics and ability to throw a football on time and in rythm over and over. so the Pats are trying to see if they can teach him to be a good Qb cuz he has the winning attitude,toughness, competiveness already. Sooo, in closing having HIM as the 3rd Qb is not the same as lets say a 40 y/o who may come in for a game and try not to lose it. If /when Tebow is put in, we assume if its for any long term, the season is over, right? but is it? Having Tebow as your 3rd string gives you a chance. like Frank Reich in Buffalo. Everyone knows that as bad as he is, he steps up in crucial moments and gets it done. He has been a winner in the NFL despite all his critics and you would still be able to sell tickets with him at Qb as well. So after further thought on this, it absolutely makes sense to give him every chance to make the team just because of those things mentioned and he can fill in at other spots and do well(punt return, up man, gunner,f.b,etc all while serving as the 3rd QB. No way BB aint kicking those tires. I say he makes the team.

Thanks for posting the info TFB. Im really starting to like this K.T. kid. Hope he makes the team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

screw Tebow.

I haven't heard a peep in the practive summary blogs, or even in here, about THE Key defensive player that probably means the most to the Pats success this year.  

What is going on with our pass rush savior, Chandler Jones??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

screw Tebow.

I haven't heard a peep in the practive summary blogs, or even in here, about THE Key defensive player that probably means the most to the Pats success this year.  

What is going on with our pass rush savior, Chandler Jones??

I agree. I have heard he was being moved around in practice, but I couldnt confirm based on what I saw the day I went. I know this teams needs a pass rush, but any improvement IMO is gonna be minimal. I think the 2 biggest factors on Defense this year is gonna be (A.Wilson) steadying the secondary, giving us a presence that can cover TE's(gregory could not last year) and this kid Jaime Collins(didnt thnk too much of him but after seeing him, he looks very lean, athletic and will play right away in subpackages) . I think if these 2 bring what I think, we will be much improved. Not top3 or anything, but top 10 in points allowed and maybe get off the field more, giving our offense more time to use the run like they will most likely need to do next year.

Sections
Shortcuts