Patriots vs Broncos Game Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Patriots vs Broncos Game Thread

Photo: View from the press box at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Patriots vs Broncos Game Thread

@MikeReiss

Mike Reiss December 18, 2011

Photo: Psychological games; this is what the visiting team sees coming out of locker room at Mile High.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Denver

Today: Sunny. High around 55F. Winds SW at 15 to 25 mph.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Five keys: Patriots at Broncos

Posted by Greg A. Bedard  December 18, 2011 09:00 AM

DENVER – The Patriots take the field at Invesco Field later today to take on the hottest team in the NFL outside of Green Bay, the Denver Broncos.

New England isn’t too shabby itself, having won five straight games. Let’s take a look at what they need to do in this “t-shirt and hat game” to improve to 11-3 and clinch the AFC East.

1. Get off to a fast start: All season, the Patriots have deferred the coin toss and taken the ball to start the second half. The best thing against the Broncos might be to take the ball to start the game. The quicker the Patriots can get up two scores, the quicker they can get Denver out of its comfort zone of pounding away at the run. The crowd is going to be geeked up. Best way to take them out is to score first, stop the Broncos and then score again. Game over. If the Broncos get the ball first and move down the field – even without a score – it could signal a long game. But the Patriots might feel they can stop the Broncos. During their six-game win streak, the Broncos have moved the ball into enemy territory three times and scored just once (touchdown against the porous Chiefs) on opening drives.
    2. Be disciplined in the run game: The Broncos are most effective with their option game. Defending the option is all about playing assignment football. Somebody has the dive back, somebody has the quarterback and someone has the pitch man. And above all else, tackle soundly. Pop Tim Tebow early. One of the reasons why the option hasn’t worked long-term in the NFL is because quarterbacks can’t take those hits for 16 games. But Tebow is definitely built differently. Still, he is human. Make him know that keeping the ball is going to come with some punishment.
    3. Make Tebow roll right: Tebow, a left-hander, is much more accurate moving to his left. He sprays the ball all over the place if he has to throw on the run to his right. Another couple things about him throwing, Tebow wants to throw to his first read. Clamp down on those but then be ready for him to run. Pass rush isn’t as important against this type of quarterback as keeping him in the pocket and the linemen must be ready to disengage a blocker if Tebow starts to run.
    4. Run the ball: The Broncos are quick in the front seven, but there isn’t a lot of girth and there is an opening for the Patriots to run. Plus, running the ball is the best way to slow down the pass rush from Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil. They’re undersized. Get Nate Solder out there as the eligible tight end and pound away at the edges of the Broncos’ defense.
    5. Go quick with the pass: The Broncos have success on defense if their pass rush can be effective. Don’t let it. Tom Brady needs to stay in rhythm and not try to do too much. Get a good read and, when in doubt, throw it to Rob Gronkowski. The Broncos have no one to match up with him. And Aaron Hernandez should be very effective as the Broncos like to play a lot of man. Keep him away from all the attention Gronkowski will get and let Hernandez go to work.

THE PICK

Yes, the Broncos do a lot of things defensively that give the Patriots trouble – varying pressure concepts and man coverage – and, yes, Tebow should throw better in this game than against a lot of other teams. But we think the Patriots have this. It's in their wheelhouse. Belichick has been defending option defenses in his head since he was sitting on his father’s lap watching film of the Navy football team. Brady knows he has a losing record against just one team – the Broncos – and about all the attention Tebow has received. It’s time for Brady and the Patriots to reset the football world correctly. Not sure how much this game will prove on either side of the ball, but this is certainly a toughness test. That's one area where these Patriots matchup against anybody.

Patriots 30, Broncos 10

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

: Source says Broncos SS Brian Dawkins did not participate in Saturday walk-thru. Unlikely (not yet ruled out) to play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[a] because he will save his people from their sins.”

22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”[b] (which means “God with us”).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Ian Rapport (Boston Herald)

Why this Denver trip makes me remember the late Myra Kraft…

Myra Kraft, the beloved wife of Patriots owner Robert Kraft, passed away this summer after a battle with cancer. And this entire season has been dedicated to her, both on the field and off.

Patriots jerseys still bear a patch with her initials, and it would be impossible not to think of her while going about your business. But flying to Denver yesterday made me recall and cherish my favorite Myra Kraft memory.

Two years ago, the Patriots played the Broncos in Denver. And the night before, the Krafts hosted a dinner for members of their party and reporters covering the team. Colleague Karen Guregian and I were on a late flight and we debated between awkwardly showing up late, with the meal in-progress, or offering apologies and informing them we wouldn’t attend.

We decided to deal with being the people sitting down while everyone else was eating. We just wanted to show up. It was a nice thing Kraft was doing, after all, at a fantastic restaurant called Zengo, (where we also went last night) and we respected that. Good thing we did.

That’s where I first met Myra Kraft. I had, of course, heard about her, but it was my first year on the beat, and I hadn’t had the chance to say hello. I sat two seats away from her and she mostly sat quietly and listened. But when someone brought up the topic of how she came to meet her husband, she lit up.

Myra told the story of her first “date” with Robert, how he stole her away from her boyfriend and how she later proposed to him that night. It’s an incredible story, and to hear her tell it was inspiring. I couldn’t wait to tell The Banktresswhat I heard and how amazing it was.

That wasn’t all she talked about, but I’ll never forget how animated she became when their courtship came up.

It was a special night. I’m thankful that Karen and I went. I’m still thankful to have met Myra and interacted with her on that night and on other occasions.

This Denver trip has me remembering that night…

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Boston Globe Game Preview

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

As usual, thanks for this thread Rocky. How much of a loss would Dawkins be ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots vs Broncos Game Thread:
    As usual, thanks for this thread Rocky. How much of a loss would Dawkins be ?
    Posted by irishfanatic

Andre Goodwin (starting CB) is doubtful with a concussion....Of course Dawkins is out.

Other than Camp Bailey...Pretty weak...Hoping Brady lights them up!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/981143-holiday-cards-for-every-nfl-team/page/30

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

LOL....Great post!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

Funny post Digger. TFB12 has competition. (lol)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

SETTING THE SCENE: PATRIOTS-BRONCOS12.18.11 at 12:23 pm ET

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

This day is going so slow already, guess I'll sit back, drink some Winter Lager, andwatch the Chiefs-Packers and pray for a miracle.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Broncos S David Bruton (Achilles) is also expected to be out, source said. The team signed S Kyle McCarthy back to active roster Saturday.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

To give you an idea what Denver is like:

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Sunday math, simple for . They clinch AFC East with 1 of following 3: WIN over Denver, Jets LOSS, TIE Denver + Jets LOSS.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Oh.......Time to go to the game!

I will post pictures tonight....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

To give you an idea what Denver is like: http://blog.patriots.com/2011/12/18/pfw-postcard-a-rocky-mountain-mile-high-tebow-of-a-time/ PFW Postcard: A Rocky Mountain, Mile High, Tebow of a time
    Posted by Rocky

Been to Colorado many times, the moountain areas remind me alot of back home in northern New Hampshire. Eastern Colo. is alot like Kansas until you get to Denver and Colorado Springs. Been up to Pikes Peak at the end of July and it was 31 degrees. Southwestern Colodaro is as beautiful and the central, northern and western pasrts. A great place to vacation in the summer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I expect to see a serious air attack today and I don't want to hear it from the rush bitchers that we are not rushing enough.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmfpatpatriot7575. Show jmfpatpatriot7575's posts

7.5 pt spread... think Pats cover???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

7.5 pt spread... think Pats cover???
    Posted by jmfpatpatriot7575

Pts went from 6.5 to 6.0 to 7.5.
    Late money on the Pats, go for it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmfpatpatriot7575. Show jmfpatpatriot7575's posts

I took the spread for the Pats..  Took the Bills over Mia.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Denver Today:  Sunny. High around 55F. Winds SW at 15 to 25 mph.
    Posted by Rocky

Todays' game is a must win for the Patriots. As things currently stand, the Pats will have the 3rd seed in the AFC tournament. They're going nowhere, unless they can earn a bye. Houston has the #1 seed, the Baltimore Buzzards are second.

What the Pats need is for the Texans, Ravens, and Steelers all to lose, and for them to beat Denver. If this happens, the Pats will earn the #1 seed, if they can beat both Miami and Buffalo, at home.

Sections
Shortcuts