Patriots vs. Jets Game Thread.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Patriots vs. Jets Game Thread.

In Response to Re: Patriots vs. Jets Game Thread.:
    In Response to Re: Patriots vs. Jets Game Thread. : Well, it's better than watching those silly 'gamecasts', where all you have are lines.
    Posted by vertigho

Thanks for the suggestion......no reason to get defensive!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots vs. Jets Game Thread. : Thanks for the suggestion......no reason to get defensive!
    Posted by Rocky

I really wasn't trying to come off as defensive or rude. It's tough to convey tone of voice over forums, so if there was any confusion, I was trying to be very matter of fact. No harm intended.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Jay Glazer just shared some insight into the Jets gameplan for Sanchez today:

1) Rex Ryan took over more offensive play-calling this week in practice
    2) They're going to dial Sanchez back EVEN MORE this week, calling plays that they know he's real comfortable with
    3) Expect to see a TON of Wildcat offense

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Have you guys seen this silly article in the Herald...listing 5 "keys" to winning the Jets' game? Here it is, with my comments in bold lettering:

E
    AST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- It is easy to get caught up in the dramatic, entertaining aspects of today’s game. The talk back and forth, the discussions of the Jets antics in HBO’s “Hard Knocks,” the debate over the clash of personalities between www.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&topic=Bill+Belichick&mode=score&sorting=pubdate">Bill Belichickand Rex Ryan -- it all makes those in the public pine for the long-awaited matchup.

Patriots vs. Jets. What else needs to be said?

“Those big division games, we always know how competitive they are with the emotion and rivalry there,” Belichick said.

While words are nice, the reality is that the result that will play out at New Meadowlands Stadium has nothing to do with words.

Here are five football-related factors that will determine whether the Patriots [team stats] improve to 2-0:

1. Can they keep Moss off "Revis Island?"

Assuming Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is healthy enough to play after straining a hamstring in practice last week, he’ll shadow Patriots wideout Randy Moss for all 60 minutes. Revis clamped down on Moss last year, creating the mystique of “Revis Island,” and making one wonder if Moss can still dominate a top-tier corner. The Patriots can help Moss by putting him in motion to give him a running start and throwing short passes early to pull Revis closer to the line. If Moss thrives in the first half, Revis may need help. That would make for a good day for the Patriots.

RESPONSE: What happens between Revis and Moss won't matter a lick, provided that Tom Brady is given ample time to throw by his OL.  

2. Can they do enough to confuse Sanchez?

Mark Sanchez, the quarterback affectionately called “Sanchize,” looked anything but in the opener Monday night, with his failure to break 80 yards passing being Exhibit A. He often looked long and hard at his downfield receiver, only to settle for a check-down route, anyway. It’s his decision-making that has been woeful. Belichick’s defense can exacerbate that by disguising and forcing Sanchez to question what he sees. “What quarterback don’t you want to make it hard on?” Belichick asked.

RESPONSE: The Pats need to get some pressure on him. If Sanchez is given all day to throw, he'll be effective.

3. Can the defensive front handle Greene?

Shonn Greene didn’t have much to show for himself in the first week, fumbling twice and gaining just 18 yards. But at 5-foot-11, 226 pounds, the running back has much more potential than that. With his quarterback struggling, the Jets may try to pound Greene often, meaning nose tackle Vince Wilfork [stats] and his colleagues have their work cut out for them. Lineman Mike Wright and linebacker Tully Banta-Cain [stats]both showcased the ability to stuff the run against the Bengals, but they’ll need help from inside linebackers Jerod Mayo and Brandon Spikes to do so.

RESPONSE: Handle Greene?? The proper question is, "Can the Pats' front 7 control the line of scrimmage? Greene is no Jim Brown...nor is he LT in his prime. No matter who carries the ball for the Goblins, the Pats must contain the run...and make Sanchez beat them (but, I can't emphasize enough that even a guy like Sanchez, given too much time to survey the field, will shred their defense). Their offense can help out here by getting an early lead.

4. Can Taylor dent the Jets defensive line?

Nose tackle Kris Jenkins may be out for the season, but that’s just one brick in a sturdy wall of physical defenders. Led by brash and hard-hitting linebacker Bart Scott, the Jets’ front seven is fast and furious. Taylor, the 34-year-old, may find his holes disappearing quickly. While protecting www.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&topic=Tom+Brady&mode=score&sorting=pubdate">Tom Brady [stats] is always paramount for the offensive line, Taylor can do his part by being productive early and cooling off some of the Jets blitzes.

RESPONSE: Anyone who has watched the Pats over the past few years knows that they are not a smash-mouth team. They set up the run with the pass. If Brady gets protected, he'll complete most of his passes. Effective draw plays, screens (to combat heavy blitzing), and runs will then be forthcoming.

5. Will Welker and the tight ends defuse the blitzes?

The Jets may not sack Brady, but that's not the point (Correct. Remember, the Jets hit Brady 23 times last year, but I believe only sacked him once, in the 16-9 win over the Pats' last September). If they get in his face, hit him and disrupt his game, they've done their job. That happened last year in the first matchup. But that game was played without the security blanket Wes Welker and without three potentially productive TEs. All four can help Brady deal with the hard-flying Jets. If Welker allows Brady to be comfortable (No! If Brady's OL allows him to be comfortable) in the face of pressure and if Aaron Hernandez, Alge Crumpler, and Rob Gronkowski take adsvantage of the middle of the field, Brady may solve the offense's problems. 

RESPONSE: Here, he starts off well...but then goes off a tangient. The bottom line is, "Can the Patriots OL do an adequate job of protecting Tom Brady"? This will necessitate successfully picking up Goblin stunts and blitzes. Look for a lot of Kevin Faulk today for use in running draws, catching screens, and picking up blitzers. As for the TEs...Gronk and/or Crumpler will likely be held in to block. But, Aaron Hernandez could be used as a 3rd WR. He could be a factor in the passing attack. Gronk will be used as a receiver inside the 10 yard line. It would also be nice to see Brandon Tate have a coming out party today.   

*To summarize, this game comes down to the ability or inability of the Pats' OL to protect their star QB from the ravages of Goblin blitzes. On defense, their front seven must apply some pressure on Mark Sanchez, as well as contain against the run...for 4 quarters. Teams win games in the NFL...not individuals. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Carson Palmer />>> 34 comp. 50 atts. 68% for 345 yards  2 tds 1 int if this unprepared I'd hate to see him when he's really ready to play
    Posted by harleyroadking

Got a thing for guys who pad their stats at the end of blowout losses, do ya?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Casportsfan. Show Casportsfan's posts

I don't know, but seems to me like Sanchez finished off 2009 hot in the playoffs and then was flumoxed Sunday by the SAME Baltimore D that took apart Tom Brady last year in the wildcard game . . . . . . .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots vs. Jets Game Thread. : Got a thing for guys who pad their stats at the end of blowout losses, do ya?
    Posted by p-mike

Really...subtract 51 yard hail mary at the end of the 1st half and about 70 yards on a garbage time drive in the 4th quarter.  Basically they had one good quarter-the 3rd which got them a net 7 points gain for that quarter despite having the ball for 12 minutes. Those stats only work when you're leading. If you're down by a couple of scores you're only running down the clock for the other team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

Yippy freaking skippy. This kid gets to watch a Pats game from the comforts of his couch, right at home ! A rarity in South Florida, let me tell you.

Rocky, I feel your pain, brother. Go Pats !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

hey pee-brainmike...GFY!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What's the matter, harleyrodeoclown . . .

can't defend your retarded take?

If you don't want to hear from me, don't respond to my posts -- and if you do, please try to bring something to the table that doesn't make you look like an idiot . . .

if you can.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Flucko looking like crapola again.  Bungles driving after INT.  I can't wait till we play them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Flucko looking like crapola again.  Bungles driving after INT.  I can't wait till we play them.
    Posted by Tcal2

Flacco really eats it. They hype this guy just like they hyped Bowler before him.
    I'm not real scared of the Ravens anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Posted by Tcal2

But I heard the Ravens were the best team in the NFL. They must be, they beat the Jets.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

just saying p-brain everyone in the house knew he was going throw and hooked up for two tds with Ocho-cinco. Seems to me he was prepared just to little to late.

Btw you're the most conceded dink on here

...really

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Vikings kinda suc_k.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

But I heard the Ravens were the best team in the NFL. They must be, they beat the Jets.
    Posted by digger0862

Yeah digger that great Bungle D (the one we diced last week) is blanking the mighty Ravens.  Flucko throwing Hail Mary's for passes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots vs. Jets Game Thread. : Flacco really eats it. They hype this guy just like they hyped Bowler before him. I'm not real scared of the Ravens anymore.
    Posted by ewhite1065

e,  Here is the Raven's 1st 1/2 drive chart...Punt, Punt, Int, Punt ,Punt and Punt. 

I've been saying it since April we should Dominate the league this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots vs. Jets Game Thread. : e,  Here is the Raven's 1st 1/2 drive chart...Punt, Punt, Int, Punt ,Punt and Punt.  I've been saying it since April we should Dominate the league this year.
    Posted by Tcal2

Against The Bengirls!!! Even in that Jets game Flacco threw a lot of passes up for grabs and I was shocked he didn't get picked off a couple more times.

I'm watching all these games today and I honestly don't see one team that scares me..I'm inclined to agree and you have been saying we're going to Kick Azz for a while so I'll give you credit for that. We were down and out last year when the Ravens beat us. It'll be a different story year as long as we stay healthy...Knock on wood.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Please drink responsibly. lol
    Posted by digger0862

F'n hilarious!!! Latest contestants for the Darwin awards?

HRK: Yeah, I was out swngin' a saw today too, but you don't wanna burn the shat I've been cutting. Brazilian Pepper. Ugh!

ewhite: It's Grolsch and Black Bush for me, But only after I put up the chain saw.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Yippy freaking skippy. This kid gets to watch a Pats game from the comforts of his couch, right at home ! A rarity in South Florida, let me tell you. Rocky, I feel your pain, brother. Go Pats !
    Posted by Hog73

I hear ya'. It's a rare treat in this part of the world. but i still might go out to howl with some fellow M***holes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

F'n hilarious!!! Latest contestants for the Darwin awards? HRK: Yeah, I was out swngin' a saw today too, but you don't wanna burn the shat I've been cutting. Brazilian Pepper. Ugh! ewhite: It's Grolsch and Black Bush for me, But only after I put up the chain saw.
    Posted by antibody

I got that from the "oops" list, http://micom.net/oops/ titled "Women Live Longer". There's lot's of good pics and videos, many with aircraft.

From Reiss on his blog: Today’s game will be worked by referee Ed Hochuli. Last week, Hochuli’s crew called a total of 12 accepted penalties in the Colts-Texans game. The Jets had a league-high 14 accepted penalties last week, while the Patriots had six.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

Yippy freaking skippy. This kid gets to watch a Pats game from the comforts of his couch, right at home ! A rarity in South Florida, let me tell you. Rocky, I feel your pain, brother. Go Pats !
    Posted by Hog73

I hear you!

Hoping that this happens more often as the Bucks home games will be blacked out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Here's a link to the Patriots pregame show on radio:
    http://radiotime.com/program/p_208080/New_England_Patriots_Pre_Game_Show.aspx

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Looks like Ravens are going down.  A Pats Win this week would feel REALLY good!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Here we go

Sections
Shortcuts