Patriots Want 2nd Round Draft Pick for Mallet?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Patriots Want 2nd Round Draft Pick for Mallet?

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I guess I want to the know the 3rd or 4th round draft pick that would serve us better than Mallett

1) for 2014

2) past 2014 if TB goes down

and given the less than 50/50 chance of any third rounder being a quality Nfl player,       i just dont see the odds in getting rid of Mallet this year for a 3

And again only BB knows what Malletts ceiling  might be, not us looking at Pre season games

[/QUOTE]

If Brady does go down, given what talent is on the team, do you honestly feel Mallett can take over and bring this club deep into the playoffs? Lets face it this team is a major work in progress.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

If New England really wanted to get a 2nd round pick for Mallet they'd have given him some snaps maybe against the Ravens, Tampa or the Steelers. Those were all big wins and not a single snap for Mallet.

Even worse they brought in that loser Tebow and he took the preseason snaps that would have gone to Mallet.

Is he any good? How would anyone know? At least the draft picks have some film. Mallet's got nothing. There is no way he stays in NE. They may as well trade him for anything and pick up a FA.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If New England really wanted to get a 2nd round pick for Mallet they'd have given him some snaps maybe against the Ravens, Tampa or the Steelers. Those were all big wins and not a single snap for Mallet.

Even worse they brought in that loser Tebow and he took the preseason snaps that would have gone to Mallet.

Is he any good? How would anyone know? At least the draft picks have some film. Mallet's got nothing. There is no way he stays in NE. They may as well trade him for anything and pick up a FA.

[/QUOTE]

How many NFL snaps did Manziel get last season?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is there any video of Manziel taking a snap in an actual game last year?  It's one thing to be a coillege star versus a former college star that hasn't played in 3 years. 

Regardless that has ZERO bearing on why Mallet got not one game snap last season. Mallet must suck so bad they are afraid to play him.

So why would ANY team take a chance on someone the Pats are afraid to play even for a single snap?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Circular Semantics

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

One of the points I tried to make earlier is that Mallett does not have a body of NFL work. That's one of the reasons why I'm just a skosh skeptical of Mallett, if he is traded, garnering a 2nd rounder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

4 less than Mallett.

[/QUOTE]

Mallet didn't get a single game snap in 2013.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One of the points I tried to make earlier is that Mallett does not have a body of NFL work. That's one of the reasons why I'm just a skosh skeptical of Mallett, if he is traded, garnering a 2nd rounder.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that would prevent someone from sending a 2nd as people draft players with no experience either.

However, the difference is that those new players to be drafted are younger and are under the teams control longer for less pay. That's what drops his value not the lack of experience. If he was 22 and had 4 years left on a rook deal a 2nd would be realistic compared to his draft counter parts but at 25 soon to be 26 and only 1 year left under a rook contract it makes it much more expensive for a team to retain him not to mention all things being equal he'd have a shorter career then someone fresh out of the draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that would prevent someone from sending a 2nd as people draft players with no experience either.

However, the difference is that those new players to be drafted are younger and are under the teams control longer for less pay. That's what drops his value not the lack of experience. If he was 22 and had 4 years left on a rook deal a 2nd would be realistic compared to his draft counter parts but at 25 soon to be 26 and only 1 year left under a rook contract it makes it much more expensive for a team to retain him not to mention all things being equal he'd have a shorter career then someone fresh out of the draft.

[/QUOTE]

He was a 3rd round pick. Has he done anything to raise his stock? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't see BB trading him for anything less than a early 2nd round pick, and at that it would be a steal for whoever makes that deal. More likely BB will want an additional pick in the middle rounds.

[/QUOTE] I don't know what BB thinks of him as he never says anything publically about his players. I do understand wanting value for value, and the three years of education has a value add that with his draft position 3rd round suggests they would want more than a 3rd round pick back. Just common sense! I know if I were in that position I would require at least a 2nd, and I would be looking for an additional pick in either this years draft or next years. I'm not a greedy guy, but I want to be compensated equally. So though you would settle on the same pick you spent, I wouldn't.

Why can't you see it? Next year Mallett could leave with the Pats getting nothing at all, except maybe a comp pick? Which is a back of the 3rd at best anyways and most likely lower. If a 3rd is the best they can get I think BB will take it.

As for the team would steal him for a 2nd, no sure where that comment is coming from. He had 1st round talent 3 years ago but none of us have seen it develop in the preseason and he's going to want a contract better than a rook deal after next year so there is a cost element in there. It's a lot of risk for any team to take, that 1 he can be a starter and two that he will won't a team friendly deal. It would be a steal if he becomes a top 10 QB but that's not a guarantee either so steal might be a stretch when discussing an early 2nd pick.

Asking a early 2nd and mid round picks? Yeah no one is doing that ever, esp when there is decent QB talent that is suppose to go into the 2nd already. Why take Mallett who has his contract coming up when you can take a younger guy under your control longer for just a 2nd instead of a 2nd and more. A 3rd gives them value, a 2nd does not at that point.

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Compare Mallet vs the 2014 QB's in the draft,  which would you rather have??

Then if your a team in need of a Qb what would you do as a Gm with another team???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He was a top 15 talent who fell because of coke problems. So, I think repaired his stock is a better term since he's kept his nose clean since being drafted

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I would ask for either a 2nd, or a 3rd & a 5th.  If nobody wants to make that deal, keep him.  His presence as a capable backup is worth keeping around rather than deal him for peanuts.  I still think that O'Brien would love to have him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He was a top 15 talent who fell because of coke problems. So, I think repaired his stock is a better term since he's kept his nose clean since being drafted

[/QUOTE]

And let's remember this. Every Scout that interviewed Mallett said that no potential draft picks ever admit to anything, ever.

Mallett, told every Scout that he had used as a party user but was done with it. Scouts gave him credit for owning up to it but it scared teams away.

Malletts Dad will tell you with a straight face that no team spent more time with Ryan and told Ryan that they would take him at 15 in the first round, which they did not as they were concerened about the drug confession and character issue.

Now ironically....Miami then takes Mike Pouncy from florida...a fellow who is being investigated as a gun runner with Hernandez.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Why cant we get a conditional: 2nd rounder if he starts eight or more games, 3rd (or 4th or whatever) if he does not?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

How many snaps has Mallett actually taken in a Pats' uni?  It's under 10, I think, and likely less than 5. 

So...is he watching his playing days fade so that he can be an insurance policy for Brady?  Or will he still have something to show when his number gets dialed up?

Either way, he won't be throwing a football as a Patriot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Interesting thread here

Mallet , a third rnd pick, maybe first round talent, has shown little in preseason, nothing in reg season, he also has done well in playing the Qb of the next game. Only Bb really knows where his ceiling is. 

If we trade now who is the back up? Is there any bu like Cassel? Is there a third rnd pick who may be better? Is there any Qb in the draft , like a Wilson? For the future, I don't think that is at all predictable

what is Mallett worth? A 2 or 3? what other position player could we get? Maybe a guard, maybe?

But

I am not willing to give him up without knowing who the bu will be, and a 30% chance of being a decent player For a 3rd rounder is not equal to a good back up, I have a hard time believing BB would have kept him around for all this time, and the last two yrs the only bu, if BB didnt think him worthy, no matter what we see in pre season. I also believe that the drug issue is a dead issue

Is he the next TB.?  Please that is unfair. we won't get the next GOAT

And no one here knows Mallets ceiling

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]He was a 3rd round pick. Has he done anything to raise his stock? [/QUOTE]

He was a top 15 talent who fell because of coke problems. So, I think repaired his stock is a better term since he's kept his nose clean since being drafted[/QUOTE]

That's like saying you'd hire someone who comitted a felony 2 years ago because they've been clean or in reality haven't been caught for the last 2 years. 

The NFL is a lot more lenient than the real world though so maybe that fits.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I think the answer is simple - To the Patriots in 2014 he is worth a 2nd round pick - low cost high skill and long exposure to their system. If they trade him then they either have to pay serious money for a top quality back-up (Cassell is probably in the 3-5M/year range for example) or go into camp with a moderately high round drafted rookie as the only back-up.

It really doesn't matter what they can 'get' for him - it is much more a question of what they would need to do to replace him in a year where they have a huge cap hit from Hern so are very short on money to throw at a replacement for him.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Marino had a nose like a Hoover back in the early 1980s and the Jets passed him over because of it. Instead they took can't miss phenom, Ken O'Brien. lmao

This was before you were born, of course.

[/QUOTE]

first time i ever heard that DM had that problem
    , is it now said that is why he dropped or did i mis undertand the post?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

Interesting thread here

Mallet , a third rnd pick, maybe first round talent, has shown little in preseason, nothing in reg season, he also has done well in playing the Qb of the next game. Only Bb really knows where his ceiling is. 

If we trade now who is the back up? Is there any bu like Cassel? Is there a third rnd pick who may be better? Is there any Qb in the draft , like a Wilson? For the future, I don't think that is at all predictable

what is Mallett worth? A 2 or 3? what other position player could we get? Maybe a guard, maybe?

But

I am not willing to give him up without knowing who the bu will be, and a 30% chance of being a decent player For a 3rd rounder is not equal to a good back up, I have a hard time believing BB would have kept him around for all this time, and the last two yrs the only bu, if BB didnt think him worthy, no matter what we see in pre season. I also believe that the drug issue is a dead issue

Is he the next TB.?  Please that is unfair. we won't get the next GOAT

And no one here knows Mallets ceiling

[/QUOTE]

We will find out soon enough. If there is a time to trade him away, this off season would be the time to do it.  I think his drug problem only involved marijuana?  If so, yeah - it was probably a dead issue for a while now - either that or someone else is urinating in the cup for him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

If the pats can get a third for mallet I do it of course. I don't think so hope I am wrong but don't see it. From what I see people want to bring back cassell back. But didn't he turn down or opt out of a 3.4 million one year deal with minnesota. He's looking for more dough and years. Weather he gets it is another story. I don't think he's coming here for a one year 2 million dollar deal. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

If the pats can get a third for mallet I do it of course. I don't think so hope I am wrong but don't see it. From what I see people want to bring back cassell back. But didn't he turn down or opt out of a 3.4 million one year deal with minnesota. He's looking for more dough and years. Weather he gets it is another story. I don't think he's coming here for a one year 2 million dollar deal. 

If Cassel doesn't get any offers, his price might come down. I'm sure he'd rather be on an NFL roster vs. being unemployed.

Let's say the Patriots did re-sign Cassel for a little competition during training camp. May also be handy if the Patriots are interested in re-negotiating an extension for Mallett.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Marino had a nose like a Hoover back in the early 1980s and the Jets passed him over because of it. Instead they took can't miss phenom, Ken O'Brien. lmao

This was before you were born, of course.

[/QUOTE]

first time i ever heard that DM had that problem
    , is it now said that is why he dropped or did i mis undertand the post?

[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I laugh when I see other people quote Rusty and something so stupid pops up like this. First how would you know this? And 2nd Rusty's wrong yet again, I was born before that happened. Seriously would love to know how old Rusty actually is since he likes to make fun of other peoples ages and thinks it makes a heaping lot of difference

Sections
Shortcuts