Patriots Want 2nd Round Draft Pick for Mallet?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Patriots Want 2nd Round Draft Pick for Mallet?

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know what BB thinks of him as he never says anything publically about his players. I do understand wanting value for value, and the three years of education has a value add that with his draft position 3rd round suggests they would want more than a 3rd round pick back. Just common sense! I know if I were in that position I would require at least a 2nd, and I would be looking for an additional pick in either this years draft or next years. I'm not a greedy guy, but I want to be compensated equally. So though you would settle on the same pick you spent, I wouldn't.

[/QUOTE]

The thing is unless Brady gets hurt Mallett's gone next offseason. Someone will pay him more than BB will give him to sit on the bench and might even give him a chance to actually start. Something I think Mallett would jump at. So, it's more a matter of get a higher 3rd rounder (we spent a late 3rd on him) or risk getting nothing at all. So imo if we can get a top 15 in the 3rd we could get a starting caliber RG I'd take it.

As for those who say well who backups Brady? It was Hoyer prior to Mallett and Cassel prior to Hoyer. They find good guys to back him up and I have no doub they can find another game manager to do so in the draft or UDFA but 1 thing is clear I heard this same argument back when they traded Cassel and believe it or not heard something similar when they traded Bledsoe so they've done it before and they will do it again (find another backup), unless the worst case happens and Brady goes down next year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Learning from one of the best QB's of all time.... a 2nd seems fair.

[/QUOTE]

There's no evidence he's learned anything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The thing is unless Brady gets hurt Mallett's gone next offseason. Someone will pay him more than BB will give him to sit on the bench and might even give him a chance to actually start. Something I think Mallett would jump at. So, it's more a matter of get a higher 3rd rounder (we spent a late 3rd on him) or risk getting nothing at all. So imo if we can get a top 15 in the 3rd we could get a starting caliber RG I'd take it.

As for those who say well who backups Brady? It was Hoyer prior to Mallett and Cassel prior to Hoyer. They find good guys to back him up and I have no doub they can find another game manager to do so in the draft or UDFA but 1 thing is clear I heard this same argument back when they traded Cassel and believe it or not heard something similar when they traded Bledsoe so they've done it before and they will do it again (find another backup), unless the worst case happens and Brady goes down next year.

[/QUOTE]

That stuff does happen, like in 2008 - plus, Brady ain't getting younger. When will the Patriots look for the next QB to prep for the post-Brady era. It seems like it'd be stupid to wait until he was actually gone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I will take the same stance I took this time last year.  I think Mallett will be a Patriot on week 1 of the 2014 season.  I think BB likes him, and I don't think anyone will offer a 2nd, which is what I believe BB would demand as compensation in a potential trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PhatVirginian's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That stuff does happen, like in 2008 - plus, Brady ain't getting younger. When will the Patriots look for the next QB to prep for the post-Brady era. It seems like it'd be stupid to wait until he was actually gone.

[/QUOTE]

It's does happen but Brady's been pretty durable through his career (as far as being able to stay on the field). The thing is Mallett will be 26 this year, so say Brady has 3 years left that's means Mallett would be 29 at that point. Are you so sure that Mallett at 29 is the guy that you'd give him low starter money next year to keep him on the team as a down the road QB? Some team will want to see if he can start and will give him a decent contract and the chance to earn a starting spot next year. In order to keep him the Pats are going to have to pay him more just to sit on the bench.

I would look this year or next to start grooming. My personal favorites are McCarron and Murray. Both won't cost more than a late 3rd with McCarron being a little more raw but great upside and Murray needs time to recover from an ACL but the upside is Brees level. So you get either one to groom behind Brady and 3 years down the road these guys are still young and should be ready to take over.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

No team is going to give up a 2nd for a guy in the last year of his contract that has never started a game.  He will stay in NE this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No team is going to give up a 2nd for a guy in the last year of his contract that has never started a game.  He will stay in NE this season.

[/QUOTE]

That means he walks at seasons end and we get nothing for him. I guess we would get a COMP pick at the least.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That means he walks at seasons end and we get nothing for him. I guess we would get a COMP pick at the least.

[/QUOTE]

That comp wouold most likely be sometime in day 3 3 drafts from now so much rather a 3rd or 4th this year

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

We don't get any picks, but we get another year of a backup that is well versed in the system here.  People say we are screwed if Brady goes down for the season so why bother having a competent backup, but what if he has to miss a few games like Rodgers did last season?  There is some value in having that insurance policy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We don't get any picks, but we get another year of a backup that is well versed in the system here.  People say we are screwed if Brady goes down for the season so why bother having a competent backup, but what if he has to miss a few games like Rodgers did last season?  There is some value in having that insurance policy.

[/QUOTE]

Would someone like Cassell ease your concern?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Would someone like Cassell ease your concern?

Cassell just opted out of a contract that would have payed him almost 4 million this year.  Mallett is cheap.  That is a pro as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PhatVirginian's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's does happen but Brady's been pretty durable through his career (as far as being able to stay on the field). The thing is Mallett will be 26 this year, so say Brady has 3 years left that's means Mallett would be 29 at that point. Are you so sure that Mallett at 29 is the guy that you'd give him low starter money next year to keep him on the team as a down the road QB? Some team will want to see if he can start and will give him a decent contract and the chance to earn a starting spot next year. In order to keep him the Pats are going to have to pay him more just to sit on the bench.

I would look this year or next to start grooming. My personal favorites are McCarron and Murray. Both won't cost more than a late 3rd with McCarron being a little more raw but great upside and Murray needs time to recover from an ACL but the upside is Brees level. So you get either one to groom behind Brady and 3 years down the road these guys are still young and should be ready to take over.

[/QUOTE]

Past history durability-wise is not really as relevant in TB's situation. He's at the age where a simple injury that most younger players come from could turn into a career-ending one. They really need to start grooming that QB of the future. I am not saying it's Mallet. Nor am I saying he's not. They just need to ahve a QB in place.

I like Murray, but I am not sure he is a starter QB. I know he throws well. Can throw in the clutch. I don't remember him to have the mobility of Brees. I believe that at his size, he needs mobility.

To me, QBs who are graded third day or later are all the same. It's a matter of identifying attributes you like on the QBs available on day 3. From all the games I watched...

I am  interested in Savage, Wenning, Russell and Price, primarily as backups with starter potential.

I would not touch Thomas or Morris.

I would like to see videos of Vaughan.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

It's so logical...but perhaps all the more reason it won't happen.

http://musketfire.com/2014/02/23/mallett-market/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Why shop Mallet at all?  He's spent 2 years under Brady, has a strong arm and knowledge of our offense.  While he hasn't exactly razzle dazzled in preseasons, he is also currently our only backup, and bringing in anyone rook or JAG, to backup Brady in hopes that they could take over if Brady went down is more than just asking a lot.  Not to mention, Brady is on limited time and in his twilight years.  Don't we need to be concerned with grooming a successor at this point? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I am a little surprised people feel there would never be any way anyone would give a 2nd round pick for Mallet. (not saying anyone will)

Let me walk through this logic...

NE Patriots is considered a good and knowledgeable organization in the NFL and well respected? Check.

NE Patriots had Cassel but moved on from him in favor of Hoyer and then moved on from him in favor of Mallet? Check.

Cassel and Hoyer have proven serviceable as starters in the league given the opportunity with a solid supporting cast and running the right system that brings out the best in them. Check.

Some team will probably select a QB in the 2nd round coming out this year who has never started a NFL game in his life AND also never even worked in an NFL organization as a paid professional and practiced against a team FULL of NFL caliber talent and speed. Check.

Mallet probably has a stronger arm than anyone that will be slected in the 2nd round by some team. Check.

Mallet has apprenticed behind the consumate professional in one of the most professional organizations. Check.

Mallet probably(?) had a better statistical college career against higher competition than any other QB that might be taken in the 2nd round. Check.

Mallet was originally considered a 1st round talent in his draft year. Check.

NFL Grades on QB (their draft year)

Mallet 7.4

Bortles 6.4

Bridgewater 6.3

Manziel 5.9

McCarron 5.6

Hmm you guys sure use different logic than me. I have no idea of what the intention is or what will happen but I certainly do not get the notion that it is somehow ridiculous to think it would be dumb to give up a 2nd for a QB that the Pats kept over other guys who have started in the league after being backups for the Pats.

The other argument that is odd to me is the one that is that Mallet hasn't looked amazing in preseason reps. Really? Preseason game? Yet the Pats "still" keep him as the "only" backup on the team despite that.

Oh well, par for the course, rarely understand so much of what I often read on here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am a little surprised people feel there would never be any way anyone would give a 2nd round pick for Mallet. (not saying anyone will)

NE Patriots is considered a good and knowledgeable organization in the NFL and well respected? Check.

NE Patriots had Cassel but moved on from him in favor of Hoyer and then moved on from him in favor of Mallet? Check.

Cassel and Hoyer have proven serviceable as starters in the league given the opportunity with a solid supporting cast and running the right system that brings out the best in them. Check.

Some team will probably select a QB in the 2nd round coming out this year who has never started a NFL game in his life AND also never even worked in an NFL organization as a paid professional and practiced against a team FULL of NFL caliber talent and speed. Check.

Mallet probably has a stronger arm than anyone that will be slected in the 2nd round by some team. Check.

Mallet has apprenticed behind the consumate professional in one of the most professional organizations. Check.

Mallet probably had a better statistical college career against higher competition than any other QB that might be taken in the 2nd round. Check.

Mallet 7.4

Bortles 6.4

Bridgewater 6.3

Manziel 5.9

McCarron 5.6

Hmm you guys sure use different logic than me. I have no idea of what the intention is or what will happen but I certainly do not get the notion that it is somehow ridiculous to think it would be dumb to give up a 2nd for a QB that the Pats kept over other guys who have started in the league after being backups fo the Pats.

The other argument that is odd to me is the one that is that Mallet hasn't looked amazing in preseason reps. Really? Preseason game? Yet the Pats "still" keep him as the "only" backup on the team despite that.

Oh well, par for the course, rarely understand so much of what I often read on here.

[/QUOTE]

I generally concur in many of the conclusions that you draw simply because they appear to be based on sound logic and a solid knowledge of the game.  I would pose one question that, unless I missed it, your post does not addres:  Mallett is on the last year of  his rookie deal.  Would an NFL team surrender a 2nd round pick for a QB, well schooled and strong-armed though he may be, who they will have for perhaps one year?  I'm not in a position to make that assessment but it strikes me as a serious consideration.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

[QUOTE]

Mallet probably had a better statistical college career against higher competition than any other QB that might be taken in the 2nd round. Check.

Mallet 7.4

Bortles 6.4

Bridgewater 6.3

Manziel 5.9

McCarron 5.6

Hmm you guys sure use different logic than me. I have no idea of what the intention is or what will happen but I certainly do not get the notion that it is somehow ridiculous to think it would be dumb to give up a 2nd for a QB that the Pats kept over other guys who have started in the league after being backups fo the Pats.

I generally concur in many of the conclusions that you draw simply because they appear to be based on sound logic and a solid knowledge of the game.  I would pose one question that, unless I missed it, your post does not addres:  Mallett is on the last year of  his rookie deal.  Would an NFL team surrender a 2nd round pick for a QB, well schooled and strong-armed though he may be, who they will have for perhaps one year?  I'm not in a position to make that assessment but it strikes me as a serious consideration.

[/QUOTE]

Don't know. I think it depends on if they thought enough of him. 

I guess my question would be. What happens if they draft a QB in the 2nd and they miss. They sure might have that players rights for longer than 1 yr but would it even matter and they bother to keep him around other then not appearing to waste the draft pick?

WHat happens if Mallet ends up working out for them in yr 1. Wouldn't you want to extend him anyway?

I'm not sure how I see this as being any less or more of a problem. That's just me. I am not saying someone should or will want him. Only that I find it very off base to say it doesn't make any sense for someone to possibly want him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I guess my question would be. What happens if they draft a QB in the 2nd and they miss. They sure might have that players rights for longer than 1 yr but would it even matter and they bother to keep him around other then not appearing to waste the draft pick?

WHat happens if Mallet ends up working out for them in yr 1. Wouldn't you want to extend him anyway?

I'm not sure how I see this as being any less or more of a problem. That's just me. I am not saying someone should or will want him. Only that I find it very off base to say it doesn't make any sense for someone to possibly want him.

If they trade a 2nd for Mallett and he doesn't work out or they draft a QB in the 2nd and he doesn't work out the cost is the same.  If they trade a 2nd for Mallett and he works out they have to pay him starter money after only one season.  If they draft a QB in the 2nd and he works out they get him cheap for a few years.  The upside is higher for drafting and the downside is equivalent to trading for Mallett.  The only logical reason to trade for Mallett is if you think he has a higher chance at working out than a 2nd round pick.  Given his lack of starting experience it is pretty hard to make that claim.  If Cassel doesn't start in 2008 I doubt we get a 2nd for him.  We got nothing for Hoyer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Mallet 7.4

Bortles 6.4

Bridgewater 6.3

Manziel 5.9

McCarron 5.6

[/QUOTE]

If he's that good, why even trade him?

Also, could you please tell me where you get the QB grades. I'd like to see what the composite score consists of.

One last thing about the grades: Ponder and Gabbert were probably graded about the same. What does the league think of them now? So, is it really so irrational to think that Mallett is more or less the same as those two. We know he's a different QB vs Cam Newton.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mallet 7.4

Bortles 6.4

Bridgewater 6.3

Manziel 5.9

McCarron 5.6

[/QUOTE]

If he's that good, why even trade him?

Also, could you please tell me where you get the QB grades. I'd like to see what the composite score consists of.

One last thing about the grades: Ponder and Gabbert were probably graded about the same. What does the league think of them now? So, is it really so irrational to think that Mallett is more or less the same as those two. We know he's a different QB vs Cam Newton.

[/QUOTE]

I assume timing? I doubt they think TB is going anywhere for another 3 years or so?

Just go to NFL.com for the combine prospect grades.

Newton was a 8.2

Gabbert was an 8.5

Ponder was a 6.6

The NFL combine prospect grades are just one source. I am not suggesting they are accurate or more or less accurate than other sources.

Seems there are always teams in need of QB's and most years a few go in the 1st if not early in the first. Doesn't always mean they should. My point was simply that I don't see any logical reason why it should appear idiotic for a team to give a 2nd for Mallet if they had a liking and belief in him.

I could understand them not doing it but I can easily see the logic in doing it as well. That's just me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If they trade a 2nd for Mallett and he doesn't work out or they draft a QB in the 2nd and he doesn't work out the cost is the same.  If they trade a 2nd for Mallett and he works out they have to pay him starter money after only one season.  If they draft a QB in the 2nd and he works out they get him cheap for a few years.  The upside is higher for drafting and the downside is equivalent to trading for Mallett.  The only logical reason to trade for Mallett is if you think he has a higher chance at working out than a 2nd round pick.  Given his lack of starting experience it is pretty hard to make that claim.  If Cassel doesn't start in 2008 I doubt we get a 2nd for him.  We got nothing for Hoyer.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I simply think, (my own personal opinion), is that there is a greater likelihood of getting something out of a guy who has been in the league as a pro in a good program with good coaching. Especially sooner. ...Than a guy who is arguably or questionably less quality/pedigree with even less pro experience.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

How about the Texans just trade Mallet for JJ Watt straight accross?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

I can't see a 2nd unless it's a later 2nd, but why not shoot for the moon. I see something closer to an early 3rd to early 4th range for Mallett

[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree. But, stranger things have happened. Would Houston trade their 3rd round pick (first overall in that round) for Mallett? This could be a possibility if they bypassed taking a QB with the top overall pick, to draft a guy like Clowney.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I can't see a 2nd unless it's a later 2nd, but why not shoot for the moon. I see something closer to an early 3rd to early 4th range for Mallett

[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree. But, stranger things have happened. Would Houston trade their 3rd round pick (first overall in that round) for Mallett? This could be a possibility if they bypassed taking a QB with the top overall pick, to draft a guy like Clowney.

[/QUOTE]

3rd rd picks, 22-30% make it, 78-70% Do not pan out over the long haul.

Let's make a deal.

Do you want Mallett with the 1st pick in the 3rd or do you want the player behind door number 3 who likely won't make it....

How exactly is this a tough decision?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This may sound nuts, but how can houston pass on clowney? He's too good and simply the best player in the draft. 

If I am houston sitting at 1, I gladly take clowney and work out a trade with someone for a QB like mallett. They could also pay schaub and wait the decision out, but I don't think that will happen given the cost. Draft clowney, trade 33 and a 4th for the pats 2nd and mallett.

does that work for both sides?