Patriots will be releasing Lloyd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Patriots will be releasing Lloyd

LOL, who didn't see this comimg.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Funny, how last year everyone was saying BB was brilliant for signing Lloyd at low money .  . .  and now the guy can't even stick.  Lloyd may go down as another one of those guys where the Pats went cheap and got exactly what they paid for . . . 

Now 75 catches for 1,000 yards and a few td's as the 4rth option is a bust, and we "went cheap" I can't figure you people out. 

The point is, they cut him.  It's another half solution.  Sure, Lloyd contributed a decent amount last year.  He was better on the outside than Branch the year before.  But it would still be nice to get someone at receiver who wasn't just one year filler.  

i agree. +1....lloyd was good, but i think they can do better, at least i hope they can. im not going to say he was a bust here though because 70 catches speaks for itself.

I agree he wasn't a bust. He just was fairly limited in what he did.  He did help, however, open up the middle of the field because DBs had to pay a bit more attention to him then they did Branch.  Personally, though, I would have liked the Pats to have addressed WR better last year . . . I think they would have been in a better position this year.  Now, they're rebuilding the entire WR corp.  Potentially no carryover at all from last year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

When the Pats was one game away from the SB this year, even with Gronk out, and barely lost at the end in the SB the year prior, why is radical wholesale makeover, that may or may not work out, needed, instead of bring in some improvement? Why is continuity not important?

If all these experimenting and tinkering with a new K'Mart WR corp failed, BB will waste another year in the window of opportunity with Brady, who is not getting any younger.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

If all these experimenting and tinkering with a new K'Mart WR corp failed, BB will waste another year in the window of opportunity with Brady, who is not getting any younger.

Well last years Wal-mart corp wasn't too much better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Well last years Wal-mart corp wasn't too much better.

Well, the Pats was the number 2 seed and played in the AFC Championship last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

He didn't turn out to be what I hoped he would be but he did have some pretty good numbers.  I think it would be a season to build off of instead of bringing in someone new to have to learn the playbook and get on the same page as TFB.  I actually think he will be back at a lower price.  Not much left out there, inless they make a trade or just wait until the draft. 

My final prediction will is that he will be back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

He didn't turn out to be what I hoped he would be but he did have some pretty good numbers.  I think it would be a season to build off of instead of bringing in someone new to have to learn the playbook and get on the same page as TFB.  I actually think he will be back at a lower price.  Not much left out there, inless they make a trade or just wait until the draft. 

If Lloyd is a borderline nut case as some writers say he is ( sources from the Pats organiztion?) , he will act very pleased with being squeezed the way he did when he comes back.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah, TFB, I think there's a possibility he'll be back.  Depends on the market.  There aren't a lot of WRs out there this year, though, which may give Lloyd a bit better chance of landing a contract somewhere else. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Agree 100%. I think for him to have the production he had in his 1st season in what we all know is a very complex passing system, then it is fair to speculate he could have improved in his 2nd year.

I just figured they would have restructured contract not outright released him if he was indeed coming back. I hope he does. Brady doesn't need to teach 3 to 4 new receivers at 36 years old.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to rameakap's comment:

Talk about completely revamping the offense.  Wow.

Gronk (#1 passing option) Hernandez (#3 passing option) and Ridley (1,000 yard back) are all still here you know.

Ballard, Washington, Amendola all fill the roles of Fells, Woodhead and Welker quite nicely

Sanders would absolutely replace Llloyd

There was no threat like Donald Jones on the roster last year, small and old Deion Branch was the #3 WR. Shane Vareen will make a much bigger impact this year as well and he is not a new piece.

Dude, I'm not one of the annoying little trolls who overblows the situation.  Maybe my post came across as a dramatic post, but it was not intended to be.  I applaud all of these moves.  As much as I loved Welker and Woody, we needed to revamp the offense.

I'm looking forward to a versatile/deep threat of Jones, added skilll set of Amendola, and infusing more of Vereen on 3rd downs and screen plays.  Washington fills the return role and 3rd downs as well.

Let's stop tinkering with the offense...and revamp that defense!

With all due respect, have you seen our offense in the playoffs the past few years?  It needs to be revamped.  In the regular season, they break records, pile on stats, humiliate opponenets, etc. and then when the playoffs come along they repeatedly score in the teens.  Unacceptable.

I'm not saying the Defense doesn't need to be revamped, but with the immense amount of young talent coupled with an infusion of a few veteran FA signings, I think the defense is looking up.  As for the offense, the jury will be out in next year's playoffs.

I think BB is addressing both sides of the ball(including special teams i.e. washington), and as a fan, I sincerely appreciate that.

Mob - this was exactly what the colts would do.  Kill most Reg Season teams then run into pats and be shut down.  the patriots are exhibiting exactly the same kind tendencies.  The difference is that in many of these situations, the pats defense has actually held up fairly well.  Certainly your defense needs work (its not the pats of 2001-2007, but then again that was an extraordinary run of personnel) but by NFL standards its operating at or above the median.

UD, we certainly agree on this.  I think the fantasy of 2007 has warped a lot of the minds around here and we've forgotten how we won those Super Bowls in the past.  Pats need to bring in some hard nosed, physical players on Defense and switch up the offensive philosophy.  I do think we have the personnel to do so, and I'm hopeful we are seeing these philosophies change with the infusion of these new acquisitions.  Cheers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Agree 100%. I think for him to have the production he had in his 1st season in what we all know is a very complex passing system, then it is fair to speculate he could have improved in his 2nd year.

I just figured they would have restructured contract not outright released him if he was indeed coming back. I hope he does. Brady doesn't need to teach 3 to 4 new receivers at 36 years old.

He'd have to agree to the restructure.  If he didn't, they would have no choice but to cut him.  It sounds like there was some discussion about a restructure, so maybe the Pats want to keep him, but not at his current cost. He may have decided to test the market before agreeing to lower salary from the Pats. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I agree with people saying he will go out and test the market and then possibly come back. Another option may be to sign Edelman - he's still dangling around out there - I'm not a big fan of him, but he is pretty versatile and will come cheap (the pats love that...cheap). They really need to sign Sanders to some sort of deal -  I'm thinking it will need to be in the 4 million dollar anually range for the Steelers not to be able to match.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

yeah Lloyd and his 70+ catches in his first year with the team was an epic fail. now let's go get Sanders who had 40+ catches last year....

they might re-sign lloyd, but if they get sanders im not going to complain....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

yeah Lloyd and his 70+ catches in his first year with the team was an epic fail. now let's go get Sanders who had 40+ catches last year....

Lloyd had 74 receptions in the regular season and 12 receptions in the post season and NO fumbles. Sanders had 44 receptions and 2 lost fumbles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

My thoughts are that they were in negotations with Lloyd, no deal was agreed on, time ran out and didn't want to be on the hook for the bonus so they cut him.  He might look around but I really think they will remain in talks and come to an agreement.

At least I really hope this is the case, because of now the WR position is in shambles.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

My thoughts are that they were in negotations with Lloyd, no deal was agreed on, time ran out and didn't want to be on the hook for the bonus so they cut him.  He might look around but I really think they will remain in talks and come to an agreement.

At least I really hope this is the case, because of now the WR position is in shambles.

Shambles? Perhaps incomplete but to classify the overall wr situation as being in shambles is being a little over dramatic... don't you think?

Actually, I think it's somewhere near shambles.  I think the Pats would have liked it to be stronger last year, which is why they brought in Gaffney, Stallworth, and Branch.  My feeling is that in camp last year they were looking at several different possibilities with the offense. Remember, they had a few fullbacks, lots of TEs, and lots of receivers.  I think they were looking for combinations that worked and ended up deciding their best combo was heavy TEs and short receivers and a one-back offense.  They then cut a bunch of receivers and picked up Salas (who is also a slot guy--kind of in-between Hernandez and Welker in size and skills).  When Salas didn't work out, they ended up with a very thin receiver corp that only got thinner this offseason.  So I think they need to rebuild (really from the ground up).  At this point, they are still have a way to go before they've got enough decent camp competition at the position.  The good news, though, is there's plenty of time and options at this point.  I suspect they draft a WR or two, plus pick up a few UDRFAs.  Stallworth is likely back, too, I think--at least to compete in camp. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Shambles? Perhaps incomplete but to classify the overall wr situation as being in shambles is being a little over dramatic... don't you think?

Actually, I think it's somewhere near shambles.  I think the Pats would have liked it to be stronger last year, which is why they brought in Gaffney, Stallworth, and Branch.  My feeling is that in camp last year they were looking at several different possibilities with the offense. Remember, they had a few fullbacks, lots of TEs, and lots of receivers.  I think they were looking for combinations that worked and ended up deciding their best combo was heavy TEs and short receivers and a one-back offense.  They then cut a bunch of receivers and picked up Salas (who is also a slot guy--kind of in-between Hernandez and Welker in size and skills).  When Salas didn't work out, they ended up with a very thin receiver corp that only got thinner this offseason.  So I think they need to rebuild (really from the ground up).  At this point, they are still have a way to go before they've got enough decent camp competition at the position.  The good news, though, is there's plenty of time and options at this point.  I suspect they draft a WR or two, plus pick up a few UDRFAs.  Stallworth is likely back, too, I think--at least to compete in camp. 

I am not sure shambles is the right description at the present time. I agree they have struggled mightily with the positon. The current group is incomplete at the present moment. In late august if the WR corps includes the likes of Branch  and Stallworth then yes I would agree would be shambles an apt description as of now incomplete is what we have right now.

I think the draft will be very interesting--it seems like the best shot to rebuild the receiver position given how weak the free agent class is this year.  What BB does in the draft will tell us a lot about whether BB wants to rebuild this position or whether he's going to design the offense around RBs and TEs again. The offense was very successful last year, so it's not necessarily a bad move to continue with the same approach next year, but personally, I think the offense would be more successful in the playoffs if they had some wideouts who challenged downfield better than the recent guys could. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

I think shambles is too strong a description in the first week of FA. A lot can still happen and they've added two decent players in Amendola and Jones, possibly another in Sanders. Maybe Lloyd still comes back.

As much as I like the idea of a big DT in return on a possible Mallet trade, does Cleveland have any WR's who could be part of a trade?

I'm thinking DT will be easier to fill through the draft than WR.