Patriots workout Channing Crowder...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Patriots workout Channing Crowder...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/05/pats-take-a-look-at-channing-crowder/

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Patriots workout Channing Crowder...

Isn't this the nutjob that always had something to say about the Patriots to the media when he was in Miami? No thanks. Either sign Roth or wait until teams start cutting down and weigh your options then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I'd take Guyton over him any day but it may be an issue with the economics.

I'm pretty sure Hoody is waiting to see who gets cut from teams that need to shed salary. Plus, keeping your files updated for later in the year can't hurt either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

Personally, I just can't stand the dude (from what I've seen).  His photo on pro-football talk makes him look like an imbecile.  Although, it could be interesting if he came to camp - didn't he get kicked out of a game for 'fighting' with Matt Light.  I know stuff like that happens in the heat of the game, but it seems like there was bad blood with Crowder.  Not sure how he fits in, but I thought by now the Pats would've picked up Roth, Brock, or Ellis.....somebody.

Who knows?  Anyboy's guess at this point.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yeah not understanding this one either. It seems like BB is bringing in every single LB who has started at one point left in FA. Crowder won't supplant either Mayo or Spikes in early downs and Guyton is a better coverage LB. I'm sure Crowder is also looking to be a starter so it's very curious

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I dont see what the problem is...He has got to be better than some of our backers... I mean so what we have our starting inside guys..  Could be used outside or as a backup...with no job, how can he demand to start?

kick the tires...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I chalk it up to BB wanting to turn over every rock. Crowder is a nut job, but he also plays with a mean streak, and is aggressive. Not terribly smart either...

Consider this....if we are playing more 4 man lines, and if Mayo is kicked outside, that leaves a big gap in the middle that needs to be manned by someone a bit more speedy than Spikes. I don't trust Guyton nor Fletcher in this role, and Spikes I'm 50/50 on. Does Crowder provide a better option inside when we go to  4 man front than Guyton, Fletcher and Spikes? Can he be kicked outside to play WOLB in a 4 man line?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Actully if they do make the switch to the 4-3 this makes complete sence. For as big as a nut job that Crowder is, he is head and shoulders better then Guyton. Its just the matter of keeping his head on his shoulders. With signing him that would give the Pats 3 very good LB's for a 4-3 defense.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Jay - Crowder is a nut job. Even if no other team wants him do you think he'd be happy to play a backup role or is it more likely he makes waves at some point during the season. On top of that he might not even want to sign with the Pats knowing he wouldn't be a starter. Worth kicking the tires yes worth bring the head case into a situation where he's going to be a role player, which he became in Mia and he made such a stink that they released him nope.

As for the 43, during those times we ran a 4 man front you saw Guyton swing over to where you would normally see the OLB's setup. Given his coverage ability I'm guessing Guyton would remain as a OLB in 43 formations and not kept inside. Fletcher would most likely come in to replace Spikes during passing downs so Crowder would essentially take over Fletchers role not Guytons. I just can't see Crowder being happy in that positions and given his anger issues most likely would cause issues

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Clayton: Pats give LB Crowder physical

The Patriots had former Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder in for a physical on Thursday, ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton reports. Clayton noted that "it is too early to tell if they will make him an offer." 

Crowder, who entered the league as a third-round pick of the Dolphins in 2005, has played in 82 regular-season games with 74 starts. 

The Patriots have been doing their due diligence on a number of free agents, which is standard operating procedure. Crowder's skill set would fit alongside the likes of linebackers Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Gary Guyton and Dane Fletcher on the team's roster. 

At 6-foot-2 and 250 pounds, he would project to inside linebacker in a 3-4 alignment. If the Patriots were showing a more traditional 4-3 look, Crowder would probably fit best in the middle, where Spikes has been lining up. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

King, why do you think Guyton makes some sort of coin. He was undrafted, the asking price for him vs Chowder would be miles apart...I dont see why we have to cut one to get the other, they could co -exist

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots workout Channing Crowder...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots workout Channing Crowder... : Spikes has far more upside than Crowder. So you cut Spikes so you can run a 4-3? I don't see it. I see this as a bang for buck/cost move with regrds to Guyton. I don't know what Guyton makes, but if they could get a veteran 3-4 guy in here in reserve for less than Guyton, with Crowder being the better talent, than that smells like this is what this might be. Because he's not starting in a 3-4 or 4-3 here.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Not saying I would cut Spikes so we can run a 4-3. I'm just saying I'm not comfortable with Spikes manning the middle by himself in that alignment given his lack of speed/quickness. I hope Spikes prove me wrong, because if he can do it, Mayo would be free to kill QB's at will rushing from the outside.

Ok, so the way you see it Rusty it's a discussion between Guyton or Crowder, and for cost savings reasons? I don't buy that. Guyton is not due a ton this year, and I think we woudl only save $350k or so if he's released/traded..He's due $1.3M this year...and what would it take to sign Crowder?..got to think more than that.

I personally think Crowder can line up outside/inside in a 4-3, or inside in the 3-4...Mayo, Spikes, Crowder......Mayo, Spikes, Crowder, Cunningham?...I wonder if BB would use Mayo outside in the 3-4 as well?...hmmm

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

DEPTH?

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I don't see how he fits here.  I like the mix they have at MLB.  Lots of youth and potential.  Never been a Crowder fan, he seems to be one of those players with a big mouth, even before Light busted him in the face. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Maybe part of Matt Light's contract is to sign crowder so he can pull him by the hair and punch him in the back of the head again then they'll cut crowder the next day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ehop14. Show Ehop14's posts

This makes me think that Belichick isn't completely comfortable with Spikes at MLB in a 4-3...maybe Crowder will be brought as an alternative in case Spikes bombs?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]I chalk it up to BB wanting to turn over every rock. Crowder is a nut job, but he also plays with a mean streak, and is aggressive. Not terribly smart either... Consider this....if we are playing more 4 man lines, and if Mayo is kicked outside, that leaves a big gap in the middle that needs to be manned by someone a bit more speedy than Spikes. I don't trust Guyton nor Fletcher in this role, and Spikes I'm 50/50 on. Does Crowder provide a better option inside when we go to  4 man front than Guyton, Fletcher and Spikes? Can he be kicked outside to play WOLB in a 4 man line?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

I thought the knock on Crowder was that he was too slow? I know that Spikes has the same problem, but he's younger and doesn't have the mental problems (although that needs to be monitored very closely).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots workout Channing Crowder... : I agree. I don't. Just seems like they need a 4-3 OLB, not a 4-3 MLB. In other words, I don't see Mayo coming off the field in a 3-4 or 4-3 MLB alignment. Fletcher would seem to be the depth 3-4 MLB and 4-3 MLB back up to me. In the system, has speed, can cover, can tackle. I know we've barely seen Fletcher, but he sort of looks like a potential Bruschi path: 1. Bruschi a sack master at UofA. 2. DE, too small in the NFL. 3. Moved to OLB.  A little too small for 3-4 OLB. 4. Moved to 3-4 LB where he became a top notch pro for years.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
    I hate to say that a guy that none of us has seen much of is the wild card in all this, but he kind of is. I wish this kid had an entire off season to work at being a linebacker and who knows? Maybe that's what he did. He does look explosive and athletic and you can tell he loves football...very Bruschi like. Could lightning strike twice?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

Bottom line, he hates Rex Ryan & the Jets. If BB brings him on, well, IN BB WE TRUST....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't like Crowder's knees or his attitude.

Then again, I didn't like Brian Cox's attitude or his wear and tear either.

Maybe BB just wants a vet in the mix? He knows very well what Crowder is capable of doing.

Sections
Shortcuts