Patriots Would Have Had A Tough Time Against the Packers In The Superbowl....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Patriots Would Have Had A Tough Time Against the Packers In The Superbowl....

With our current pass rush, it could have been a long day, unless BB came up with a Rams-type game plan.  But even when we beat the Rams we had McGinest and Seymour rushing the pass, not to mention a superior secondary of Ty Law, Terrell Buckley, Otis Smith, Tebucky Jones, and Lawyer Milloy.

I think Rodgers would have eaten out defense alive yesterday so it would have come down to how many yards Brady can throw for.    Next year, our offense should be slightly better and our defense for sure should be much improved.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Re: Patriots Would Have Had A Tough Time Against the Packers In The Superbowl....

Patriots would probably have gotten destroyed. After the Packers defeated the Eagles, I was worried about them and the Pats meeting in the SB. It is not a good matchup at all for the Pats.  The Packers would have a field day against our defense. Pats couldn't apply even a tiny amount of pressure on Mark Sanchez, how can anyone say they'd have success against Rodgers and those WR's? The Pack have the best defense in the league too. They would have a much higher chance of slowing down Brady than our defense had of slowing down Rodgers. 

They are a complete team, and the Patriots are not.  End of story.

I thought Pitt defense did as well a job as they could have done, especially when you consider the  3 Steelers turnovers, the pick 6 and giving the Packers short field.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Patriots Would Have Had A Tough Time Against the Packers In The Superbowl....

I strongly disagree.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I strongly disagree also.

Was not impressed by either teams defense yesterday. I think the Patriots offense would have lit it up yesterday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

And Im sure there is no way that Pats could score against packers.....PLALEEESE

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Duncan, we'll never know will we regarding Rodgers and slicing the Pats defense alive?  A very pessimistic opinion.  You are presuming the Pats D can't step up, which unfortunately they did not in the Jets game, every game they play?  How were you after the Browns game, declaring the Pats will be losers?  What do you call the last half of this past season in which the Pats moved up quite a bit in the defensive standings and they weren't exactly playing bottom feeding teams.  Regardless, the season ended and we simply must look forward to what could be a real interesting 2011, if it comes.  The risk: the 14 - 2 2010 season may give many Pats fans too much high expectations to match it or better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

Patriots would have cruised to their 4th SB win. GB may have scored 30+ points but the Pats would have scored over 40+ easily.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

I didn't say we would have lost, but it would have been a close football game.  The Patriots wouldn't have had the turnovers the Steelers had and the Patriots would have probably put up at least 24 points.  That said the Packers gave us a tough game with Flynn as their QB in New England, with Rodgers on a neutral field, it would have been a tough game.     

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots Would Have Had A Tough Time Against the Packers In The Superbowl....:
    [QUOTE]Duncan, we'll never know will we regarding Rodgers and slicing the Pats defense alive?  A very pessimistic opinion.  You are presuming the Pats D can't step up, which unfortunately they did not in the Jets game, every game they play?  How were you after the Browns game, declaring the Pats will be losers?  What do you call the last half of this past season in which the Pats moved up quite a bit in the defensive standings and they weren't exactly playing bottom feeding teams.  Regardless, the season ended and we simply must look forward to what could be a real interesting 2011, if it comes.  The risk: the 14 - 2 2010 season may give many Pats fans too much high expectations to match it or better.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

The Patriots defense was the worst in 3rd conversion %.  They were 3rd worst in NFL history in allowing yards per game.  Just think about the season as a whole and how much the offense carried the team.  This was the dominant offense in the league and the defense still struggled.  Just imagine how much worse they would be if Brady wasn't playing perfect for nearly the whole season. It was clear the defense couldn't be trusted if Brady didnt play out of his mind. The average QB rating of 16 opposing QB's the Pats played this year is over 100. It is simply mind boggling.  in short, the defense made every QB look almost like Tom Brady.

The Packers almost beat the Pats on the road  with Matt Flynn as their QB. Don't forget the pick 6 by Flynn and Connoly's miracolous return.  Green Bay's defense gave Brady a hard time throughout the game. 

NE hasn't won anything since 2005 because their defense was MIA. The  only chance NE has of making it back to the SB is if they build a solid physical defense OR if they get lucky in the playoffs and play against other finesse teams such as the Colts, Jaguars, Texans, Chiefs....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I agree, our defense would not be able to win the game for us and that's what they would of had to do if Brady was off. They had better spend and add the pieces we need or we will flush another season of Brady's time here down the crapper.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Don't forget Ed Hoculi giving the game to the Packers. Don't forget an onside kick in Q1. Don't forget the Pats starting Landon Cohen at NT. I can go on and on. It's a stupid topic. 

Green bay was playing well, but so were the pats previous to their awful game against the jets. The pats beat the packers with barely anyone on their D line while playing their B game. the packers were missing rogers but were playing possessed that day. Who would've won? Nobody will ever know.

And please the packers are complete? They gave up a long run to BJGE (his only ever long run) and they didn't even bother running the ball yesterday. Give us all a break with this revisionist history. The pats were the best regular season team this year by a wide margin, but they didn't perform in the playoffs. this doesn't mean the team is dogcrap and the packers are great.

And they gave up 5 less points than the Jets 'great' D all year. Don't come up with selective stats like yardage. They were a crappy D in 2001 (the team you are glorifying) based on that argument. What happened that year? 

In Response to Re: Patriots Would Have Had A Tough Time Against the Packers In The Superbowl....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Would Have Had A Tough Time Against the Packers In The Superbowl.... : The Patriots defense was the worst in 3rd conversion %.  They were 3rd worst in NFL history in allowing yards per game.  Just think about the season as a whole and how much the offense carried the team.  This was the dominant offense in the league and the defense still struggled.  Just imagine how much worse they would be if Brady wasn't playing perfect for nearly the whole season. It was clear the defense couldn't be trusted if Brady didnt play out of his mind. The average QB rating of 16 opposing QB's the Pats played this year is over 100. It is simply mind boggling.  in short, the defense made every QB look almost like Tom Brady. The Packers almost beat the Pats on the road  with Matt Flynn as their QB. Don't forget the pick 6 by Flynn and Connoly's miracolous return.  Green Bay's defense gave Brady a hard time throughout the game.  NE hasn't won anything since 2005 because their defense was MIA. The  only chance NE has of making it back to the SB is if they build a solid physical defense OR if they get lucky in the playoffs and play against other finesse teams such as the Colts, Jaguars, Texans, Chiefs....
    Posted by Spetznaz24[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

So the 2007 superbowl loss was the defense's fault? That record breaking O sure did it's share to win the game with a whole 14 points in the biggest game of their lives. 

Huge generalizations are easy to poke holes into. I would argue the jets loss was mainly an offensive problem. If I told you they were going to give up 21 points (which is pretty damn good considering the O and special teams did it's best to give the jets the ball on the pats 10 yard line) I bet you'd take that every day of the week and twice on sunday. But no, it's the D's fault. It's not the offense that stalls in the most important games on the season.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots Would Have Had A Tough Time Against the Packers In The Superbowl.... : The Patriots defense was the worst in 3rd conversion %.  They were 3rd worst in NFL history in allowing yards per game.  Just think about the season as a whole and how much the offense carried the team.  This was the dominant offense in the league and the defense still struggled.  Just imagine how much worse they would be if Brady wasn't playing perfect for nearly the whole season. It was clear the defense couldn't be trusted if Brady didnt play out of his mind. The average QB rating of 16 opposing QB's the Pats played this year is over 100. It is simply mind boggling.  in short, the defense made every QB look almost like Tom Brady. The Packers almost beat the Pats on the road  with Matt Flynn as their QB. Don't forget the pick 6 by Flynn and Connoly's miracolous return.  Green Bay's defense gave Brady a hard time throughout the game.  NE hasn't won anything since 2005 because their defense was MIA. The  only chance NE has of making it back to the SB is if they build a solid physical defense OR if they get lucky in the playoffs and play against other finesse teams such as the Colts, Jaguars, Texans, Chiefs....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

That 2001 team that you're glamorizing also gave up a ton of yards. Apparently that means they stink too. 

In Response to Patriots Would Have Had A Tough Time Against the Packers In The Superbowl....:
    [QUOTE]With our current pass rush, it could have been a long day, unless BB came up with a Rams-type game plan.  But even when we beat the Rams we had McGinest and Seymour rushing the pass, not to mention a superior secondary of Ty Law, Terrell Buckley, Otis Smith, Tebucky Jones, and Lawyer Milloy. I think Rodgers would have eaten out defense alive yesterday so it would have come down to how many yards Brady can throw for.    Next year, our offense should be slightly better and our defense for sure should be much improved.  
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

I have to agree with Rockdog.  I don't think the Pats defense is to blame for the Jets loss.

I blame O'Brien.   His play calling and adjustments have been pretty bad.   

Why did they wait till the 4th quarter to try the shotgun?    Why abandon the running game in the first half?   They were running effectively. 

Brady looked confused and frustrated.  

When you consider that Jets put up 3 touchdowns and one was a gift a-la Chung and his fumbled fake punt, I'd say the Defense played a hell of a game.

I don't think the Pats were good enough this year to take the SB.  I believe the Packers would have won.    Green Bay is a more complete team.   Better defense and a more well rounded offense.   

The Pats need a big receiver, to match up with smaller CB's. They need to work Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris back into the offense. They also need a more imaginative playbook.  If they manage to get their hands on a legitmate pass rusher, get Bodden healthy on Defense, and Wright, and Brace and Ty,  and we've got a good team.  

I'm looking forward to next season already.   Can't wait to go down to Jersey next season.   CAN'T Wait.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

The type of defense the Jets were playing in the playoffs would have helped the Pats prepare against the Packers.

The Packers had the 2nd best defensive game plan for the Patriots in the regular season - Browns had the best.

The Packers also have one of the most well-rounded defenses in the game and still played well when injuries occurred.

I think the game would have been closer if the Pats played in the SB and to be honest the score probably would have been higher for both teams...

However, if Brady made the same mistakes as Rothlisberger then Brady's frustrations in the Jets playoff game would have taken place in the SB....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsjustagame1. Show itsjustagame1's posts

we held on to win the regular season game....and that was with their backup QB.

It's a moot point since we didn't even make it past the Jets.  I think it's difficult to beat any team twice in the same season..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Most of these negative defensive stats came in the first 2/3rds of the season. By the end of the season, the defensive stats were among the best in the league. The young players made great progress.  These stats meant nothing by the end of the season. The Pats lost a playoff game for many reasons, and a lot of them start with the offense, not the defense.  They had a bad game after a string of great games against the final 4 teams this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Useless speculation.  We will never know.  I think this wasn't even worth posting.  Sorry.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Umm, NE matches up far better with GB than Pitt did.

If GB wasn't so skittish in the first half with the drops, they run all over Pitt going away, with a 45-17 type score.

NE/GB would have been a great, close game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsjustagame1. Show itsjustagame1's posts

[QUOTE]We haven't had any success over the last few years because were not a physical football team anymore.  The offense is a finess/ timing offesne and not a power offense anymore.   The defense has not be good for many years, including 2007 when we went 16-0.   I think we lost to the Jets because we can't run the ball when we need too.  I thought BJGE and Woody played very well, but IMO....we need a powerful "Corey Dillion type" back and we need some smash mouth defense front 7 players. 
    Posted by RiceintheHall[/QUOTE]

For the most part, I agree, but aren't we headed in the right direction? We added Gronk, Hernadez, and Crump. I think they were key to opening up holes for BJGE and Woody. In some ways, all 5 of these players didn't show up during the game vs. the Jets. Whether it was because of the game plan, play calling, bad play, injuries....who knows.

I do agree that we need a power runner. We also need some playmakers defensively, and our OL, DL, and OLB.......lol.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Draft JJ Watt at 17.

Draft one of the premier Tackles or Guard (Carimi, Costanzo or Pouncey) at #28.

Sign Pierre Thomas for RB.

Draft RB Mike LeShoure at #33.

Trade both 3rds and move up to an early 2nd rd slot, say #38, and draft Phil Taylor from Baylor to play DE.

NE clearly plays a better game on offense with the run game established against the good defenses.

By the 4th quarter NE is able to run or pass almost at will with this formula.

Blame Bill O'Brien for abandoning the run by the 2nd qtr. They pretty much have it, they just didn't use it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

The Packers have the secondary to use the same game plan as the Jets did.  Charles Woodson is every bit as good as Revis and then some and Antonio Cromartie can only dream of being as good as Tramon Williams.

Plus the Packers have an EVEN BETTER pass rush than the Jets, who sacked Brady five times - B.J. Raji, Cullen Jenkins, and Clay Matthews are all far better pass rushers than anybody on the Jets.

The Pats would have been destroyed.  They won a game against MATT FLYNN by LESS THAN ONE SCORE in a game where DAN CONNOLLY HAD A 71-YARD KICK RETURN!

I love the Pats, but be objective.  If they can't stay clutch in a divisional game against the Jets, how badly do you think they would have choked in the Super Bowl?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Why didn't they do that when they played the Pats then?

Brady would have shredded an annhilated secondary of GB in the second half.

They also would have done a lot of damage off the edge with the running game.

GB allowed over 100 yards to Mendenhall by the 3rd qtr.

NE and GB would have been a close game, without question.  "Destroyed the Pats"? lol

My god.

The Pats have a less than good playoff game and all of a sudden they are the 1985 Pats against the '85 Bears.

It's about execution. GB matches up well with NE and NE matched up with GB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]The Packers have the secondary to use the same game plan as the Jets did.  Charles Woodson is every bit as good as Revis and then some and Antonio Cromartie can only dream of being as good as Tramon Williams. Plus the Packers have an EVEN BETTER pass rush than the Jets, who sacked Brady five times - B.J. Raji, Cullen Jenkins, and Clay Matthews are all far better pass rushers than anybody on the Jets. The Pats would have been destroyed.  They won a game against MATT FLYNN by LESS THAN ONE SCORE in a game where DAN CONNOLLY HAD A 71-YARD KICK RETURN! I love the Pats, but be objective.  If they can't stay clutch in a divisional game against the Jets, how badly do you think they would have choked in the Super Bowl?
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

So, artist...  if you are to use the results of the first GB game as a harbinger of things to come, IE - A SB game between Pats and GB, what was your thinking about the Pats V Jets playoff game after the 45 - 3 thrashing of the Jets by the Pats?  Would you have predicted a Jets win based on that game?  Seems you want to use the results of a single game to be indicative of how a team will DEFINITELY play their next game against the same opponent.  We all know, you can NEVER predict the next game as teams prepare differently and could be totally on, as the Jets D was that game, or totally off, as the Pats D was in that game.  One game is not a good measure, necessarily.  If the Pats had defeated the Jets and Pitt came into Foxboro for the AFCCG, would you have predicted a Steelers win off the Pats blowout of that team in Pittsbrugh?  You rely too much on one game results, it seems.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I love how people blame the offense for our demise. Our offense is the only reason we went as far as we did. I don't give a lot of credit to them for their effort against a horrible offense (Sanchez), at home, with two weeks to prepare. The offense was going against a very good defense, that gave us trouble, yet we still got it close only to have them march it right down the field and score at the end. I seriously can't remember the last time our defense won a game for us; where they had to carry the offense on it's shoulders...like other teams do on a regular basis.

Sections
Shortcuts