Patriots WR Group - What's the end game here?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Patriots WR Group - What's the end game here?

Randy Moss.
    Wes Welker.
    Torry Holt.
    Julian Edelman.
    Brandon Tate.
    Taylor Price.
    Sam Aiken.
    David Patten.

Do we keep 7 receivers this season or do one of Aiken/Tate/Price gets released? I assume Patten will get released for sure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfan1994. Show patsfan1994's posts

Re: Patriots WR Group - What's the end game here?

if we had to i say bye to aiken

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate and Price are I think locks. The competition is Aiken or Holt. I think Holt makes the roster, Aiken is released. We have enough special teams guys that play multiple positions that are move valuable. I see the Pats keeping 6 WRs. Depending upon how Price evolves, he could see the practice squad, but I would be surprised as the Pats don't want another team claiming him. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

This is a good question. Aiken is our special teams star but I wouldn't put him in the Larry Izzo category of Special teams player of the decade, so I would think he would be the odd man out. At the same time He has worked hard and earned a spot on this team the last few seasons and I would think BB would reward that. Tough call to make.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Welker has to be in the 53 group in September and so does Tate.  However, they're both just a bit fragile in the knees, probably nothing, but... 

That means BB has to take a seventh receiver, unless he counts Hernandez as a wideout.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

With Welker from week 1

Moss
    Welker
    Holt
    Edelman
    Tate
    Price

If Welker goes on PUP we'll have the above after week 6, below up to week 6

Moss
    Edelman
    Holt
    Tate
    Price
    Aiken

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Patriots WR Group - What's the end game here?:
    Randy Moss. Wes Welker. Torry Holt. Julian Edelman. Brandon Tate. Taylor Price. Sam Aiken. Do we keep 7 receivers this season or do one of Aiken/Tate/Price gets released?
    Posted by murghkhor

I say Taylor Price. Aiken plays special teams.

Price to the practice squad if he makes it through waivers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Price won't make it through waivers. He was a 3rd round pick, and I would expect there are plenty of WR needy teams that would grab him up. 

Aiken is the guy that is expendable. yes, he's a special teams ace, but we have a lot of good special teams players. If he is that valuable on special teams, perhaps we keep him, use 7 WR's, and maybe look to cut Pierre Woods, Eric Alexander instead as we have depth at the OLB spot too. 

There are options if BB thinks that highly of Aiken and his ST ability. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots WR Group - What's the end game here?:
    In Response to Patriots WR Group - What's the end game here? : I say Taylor Price. Aiken plays special teams. Price to the practice squad if he makes it through waivers.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii
    Price to the Practice squad if he makes it through Waivers. Are you serious.!!Price will be out there all season long, this kid will help the Pats this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thudias. Show thudias's posts

Face it Aiken is a goner unless they find a way to keep 7.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Randy Moss.
    Wes Welker.
    Torry Holt.
    Julian Edelman.
    Brandon Tate.
    Taylor Price.

I'd take patten over Aikens if they go seven

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Patriots WR Group - What's the end game here? : I say Taylor Price. Aiken plays special teams. Price to the practice squad if he makes it through waivers.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

At least keep it realistic.  There is zero chance a 3rd rd pick clears waivers.  There is zero chance it is Price in his 1st season with the team unless it is a character issue.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Posted by BubbaInHawaii

Price to PS? Surely, you must be joking

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Patriots WR Group - What's the end game here? : Price to the Practice squad if he makes it through Waivers. Are you serious.!!Price will be out there all season long, this kid will help the Pats this year.
    Posted by patriots44

We'll see. He aint done nothin' yet. If he's any good, they might get rid of Holt. Holt doesn't play special teams. Frankly, I'd rather give the youngsters a chance. Holt has less reason to be here - apart from being a leader. WR seems to be the least of our worries at this point. So what is one to do if Holt stays? Get rid of Brandon Tate - who is likely further along w/ the "patriot system" than Price.

There are only so many slots to go around...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Every pre-season there are a bunch of special teamers people think will get cut but end up on the roster the whole season ... Izzo, Ventrone, Alexander, Woods, Washington, Slater, Lockett, Arrington ... so I wouldn't count out Aiken.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Tate and Price won't clear waivers to get to the practice squad and I think they are locks for the team regardless of training camp. Aiken is definitely gone. Depending on training camp the Pats will decide on Holt. If Tate and Price don't develop quickly Holt might stay around. Patten is gone as well. Once Welker comes back Holt will be released. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

If Holt plays as well as I think he will, I don't think he gets released.  In fact, he may be the starter opposite Moss on opening day.   I don't see the point in signing a guy who still does 14 YPC with David Garrard and then letting him go. Unless Tate is so incredible, it makes it a no brainer. Moss, Holt, Edelman (Welker role through Week 6), Tate, Price, Welker (Patten until he's ready). BB will keep 6, in my opinion. I think what you may see is someone like Patten here until Week 7 when Welker is activated from the PUP. This is all barring inuries of course. Someone like a Farnham is a good bet for the PS.
    Posted by russgriswold

I agree this is not a Galloway situation. Holt is one of the better route runnerrs in league history. I think with Brady throwing him the ball he is good for a David Givens type 50 catch season. Not as much of a red zone threat anymore but a move the chains guy. especially if WW is on pup. The idea of Brady throwing to Moss and Holt with Welker/Edelman and some new TE toys underneath is a scary one for opposing defense's!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Sounds like most agree that Aiken and Patten are gone and we go with 6: Moss, Welker, Holt, Price, Tate, Edelman.
    Posted by murghkhor
    ou

LOL. Yeah, I forgot about patten. I'd rather lose Holt and Patten. Go with youth.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I don't think that Tate is a lock.  I think he really has to show something - why else would the Pats pick Taylor Price except if they doubted that Tate would step up?  I feel like Tate and Price are competing for the same roster spot (returner/receiver project), with the tie-breaker of younger age going to Price.

I think Aiken makes the cut because the team doesn't have as many special teams performers as years past.  I think if Aiken and/or Tate really step up and show something, they might steal Holt's roster spot, but I highly doubt this.

My most likely scenario:
    -> Welker starts the season on PUP
    -> Moss, Holt, and Edelman start.  Price, Aiken, and maybe Tate ride the pine and contribute in any other way possible.
    -> When Welker comes back, maybe someone is already injured, or maybe someone gets cut then, giving Price/Tate/Aiken even more time to strut their stuff and win a spot in real games (as opposed to just preseason)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

Chiming in, there is no way Price or Tate clears waivers.  The Pats couldn't clear 4th round pick Mills a couple of years ago. 

As much as I like David Patton, at this stage of his career he is an insurance policy.  I doubt he will get picked up when the Pats cut him.

Normally the WR number is 5 but I can see 6 because just like the RBs, someone is going to get hurt or pupped and also the Pats need to groom a possible replacement for Moss next year.

Moss
    Welker
    Holt
    Edelman
    Tate
    Price
    (Farnham) Practice Squad

Tate will probably be the KR and Price will also see special teams duty.  Price is fast, tough, and relatively big.  He 6'0' 205 compared to Aiken 6'2' 215, but he is faster.  He also strikes me as the kind of player who will do exactly what the coaches ask.  He has the potential to be excellent on special teams.

That is why Aiken as likelyexpendable.  It is too bad because if he is the kind of guy that teammates vote for as captain, he is the type of guy you want on your team.  He was a good 5th receiver though not a good 3rd.

Let's not forget that Slater is listed as a WR and was also very good on special teams (though not as a returner).  I don't really see a spot for him either.

The last of the 11 receivers on the roster is Darnell Jenkins.  Any chance he beats out Farnham for the PS?

There will be tough cuts to make this year, but that is a good problem to have.

Sections
Shortcuts