PATS 2009 DRAFT DAY TRADES : In Depth Breakdown

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

PATS 2009 DRAFT DAY TRADES : In Depth Breakdown

Shortly after the Pats 2009 Draft ~
    I got curious as to to the where  , what & how's of BB's wheelin' n dealin'.
    So I charted the moves to help understand what he was up to .

Here it is :

PATRIOTS 2009 DRAFT TRADES :

A ) Cassel / Vrabel trade = Db Patrick Chung ( # 34 overall )

B ) Moving back twice in 1st round ( trades with Ravens # 23 & Packers # 26 ) =

Db Darius Butler( # 41 ), Wr Brandon Tate ( # 83 ) , Qb J Edelman ( # 232 ) & also resulted in aquiring 2010 Jags 2nd rounder

It also made E Hobbs expendable ( Butler pick ) Which resulted in the two aquired Eagle's picks being parlayed into :

OT Ohrnberger ( # 123 ) & LS Jake Ingram ( # 198 )

C ) Pats second 2nd rounder (acquired via 2008 Chargers trade : # 47 overall )

Was then packaged with 4th & 6th rounders to Raiders = Ron Brace ( # 40 )

D ) Pats trade their natural 3rd rounder to Titans for 2010 2nd rounder .

( currently no worse than #35 overall )

Total of 7 Draft related trades = 7 players ( plus two 2010 2nd rounders )

( 5 other players aquired via natural draft position selection / compensatory )
    = 12 Overall Draft picks 

Note :
      Tyrone McKenzie ( # 97 ) was selected with 3rd round compensatory pick

George Bussey ( 170 ) was a 5th round comp pick 
      Myron Pryer   ( 207 )   was a 6th round comp pick

( Comp Picks were awarded for loss of Asante Samuel / D. Stalworth )

Of the 7 officially designated picks -

The Pats used only their natural 2nd rounder ( Volmer # 58 )

and natural 7th rounder( Daryl Richards # 234 ) .

2009 DRAFT = 12 Players
    ( 2 DB's / 3 DT 's / 3 O-Line / 1 LB / 1 WR / 1QB / 1 LS )

Amazingly ... ALL are still Patriots
    ( as of 10 /31 / 09 )

FINAL 2009 PATS DRAFT SELECTIONS :

2 34 Patrick Chung, S, Oregon

2 40 Ron Brace, DL, Boston College

2 41 Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut

2 58 Sebastian Vollmer, OL, Houston

3 83 Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina

3 97 Tyrone McKenzie, LB, South Florida

4 123 Rich Ohrnberger, OL, Penn State

5 170 George Bussey, OL, Louisville

6 198 Jake Ingram, LS, Hawaii

6 207 Myron Pryor, DT, Kentucky

7 232 Julian Edelman, WR, Kent

7 234 Darryl Richard, DL, Georgia Tech

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: PATS 2009 DRAFT DAY TRADES : In Depth Breakdown

A great draft overall. For every pick I would have changed that seems to make sense, there's another pick that I would have changed that seems to have worked out well.

For instance, I would have taken Maualuga instead of Chung, but I would have taken OT William Beatty instead of Sebastian Vollmer.

Come to think of it, I would have stayed at 23 overall and taken Michael Oher, who miraculously fell that far. While I think Oher is better than Vollmer now and forever, we got incredible value in trading down twice. Not so much from the trade with Baltimore, but definitely from the trade with Green Bay.

Edelman was out of the blue.

Michael Johnson still stands out to me as a big missed opportunity (in a small trade-up in the 3rd round), as he has been effective in a flexible role for the Bengals already. He is lining up at DE and Linebacker, and has shown good coverage ability to stick with receivers. We wouldn't have needed to trade for Burgess, and Johnson would have been an excellent project for the long-term, in addition to his immediate impact.

Macho Harris also looks real good at free safety for the Eagles, and he lasted to the 5th round. But we had already drafted Chung.

Who have been the standouts at TE so far among the rookies? Obviously we misfired on Alex Smith.

But Tate should be a real find in the 3rd round, and we might not have him if we did  trade up for MJohnson.

Does anybody have an Ohrnberger update? I have high hopes for him as well.

Overall, great draft, not least because of the two extra second round picks next year.

I don't see a glaring weak spot on the entire roster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

Good stuff CapnFoxboro...and I think arodrambone captures the sentiments we ALL shiould take away:

A great draft overall. For every pick I would have changed that seems to make sense, there's another pick that I would have changed that seems to have worked out well.

Not only the fact that We wouldn't have come away with drafting these gems in mid-later rds, BUT simply the straight-up wheeling and dealing in the number, amount, and investment quality of Belichick's trading.  In otherwords: I, too, would have taken Maualuga, BUT would have never found Edelman and someone like Vollmer-BUT, again the trump card whether or not One agrees with the actual player selection is the overall deals: 

Therefore, In Drafting Maualuga, We wouldn't have been able to come away with Darius Butler, and whereas I might have pulled in drafting a TE (or a decently rated OT like Jamon Meredith, whom I heard got cut lol), We, then wouldn't be discussing moving upwards of 40 spots or so from the 3rd rd last year to the beginning of the 2nd rd this year, and instead, would be stuck with a 2nd rd Big Y Grocery store clerk... 

THIS (the deals) is the final selling-point of putting things in perspective when I believe that I could be picking better players, after Belichick drafts a guy with a "reach" in the 2nd rd who I've never heard of after following The Draft all year long...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

Really like the 09 draft.

Vollmer, Butler, Edelman, and Pryor have all gotten time and made solid contributions.

Chung is a tough on Special Teamer, and is being groomed at safety where the Pats have talent and depth.

Brace may be more of the project, but with the Pats versatility of looks and personnel on the DL, and the emergence of Pryor, he can be brought along slowly.

I'm excited to see what impact Tate can have for the rest of the season, and what McKenzie and the others can do down the road.

With the 2nd rounders from Ten and Jac potentially being the top half of the round, the Pats will have some good chips to play with in the 2010 draft as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

In Response to PATS 2009 DRAFT DAY TRADES : In Depth Breakdown:
    [QUOTE]  Shortly after the Pats 2009 Draft ~ I got curious as to to the where  , what & how's of BB's wheelin' n dealin'. So I charted the moves to help understand what he was up to . Here it is : PATRIOTS 2009 DRAFT TRADES : A ) Cassel / Vrabel trade = Db Patrick Chung ( # 34 overall ) B ) Moving back twice in 1st round ( trades with Ravens # 23 & Packers # 26 ) = Db Darius Butler ( # 41 ), Wr Brandon Tate ( # 83 ) , Qb J Edelman ( # 232 ) & also resulted in aquiring 2010 Jags 2nd rounder    It also made E Hobbs expendable ( Butler pick ) Which resulted in the two aquired Eagle's picks being parlayed into : OT Ohrnberger ( # 123 ) & LS Jake Ingram ( # 198 )   C ) Pats second 2nd rounder (acquired via 2008 Chargers trade : # 47 overall ) Was then packaged with 4th & 6th rounders to Raiders = Ron Brace ( # 40 )   D ) Pats trade their natural 3rd rounder to Titans for 2010 2nd rounder .      ( currently no worse than #35 overall ) Total of 7 Draft related trades = 7 players ( plus two 2010 2nd rounders ) ( 5 other players aquired via natural draft position selection / compensatory ) = 12 Overall Draft picks  Note :   Tyrone McKenzie ( # 97 ) was selected with 3rd round compensatory pick   George Bussey ( 170 ) was a 5th round comp pick    Myron Pryer    ( 207 )   was a 6th round comp pick ( Comp Picks were awarded for loss of Asante Samuel / D. Stalworth ) Of the 7 officially designated picks - The Pats used only their natural 2nd rounder ( Volmer # 58 ) and natural 7th rounder( Daryl Richards # 234 ) . 2009 DRAFT = 12 Players ( 2 DB's / 3 DT 's / 3 O-Line / 1 LB / 1 WR / 1QB / 1 LS ) Amazingly ... ALL are still Patriots ( as of 10 /31 / 09 )   FINAL 2009 PATS DRAFT SELECTIONS : 2 34 Patrick Chung, S, Oregon 2 40 Ron Brace, DL, Boston College 2 41 Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut 2 58 Sebastian Vollmer, OL, Houston 3 83 Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina 3 97 Tyrone McKenzie, LB, South Florida 4 123 Rich Ohrnberger, OL, Penn State 5 170 George Bussey, OL, Louisville 6 198 Jake Ingram, LS, Hawaii 6 207 Myron Pryor, DT, Kentucky 7 232 Julian Edelman, WR, Kent 7 234 Darryl Richard, DL, Georgia Tech
    Posted by CapnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

Very good post! I always enjoy draft talk. Thanks for sharing your draft-tracker on all the trades.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from juzme. Show juzme's posts

It was a very solid draft with many picks that seemed to hit this year. The only criticism is that it didn't address their need of a pash rusher. BB has tried to fill the role with experienced people in the past but no edge rusher was brought in and that could cost them this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

This team rebuilds on the fly without having much of a down year, which is incredible.  If this is a "down year" because Brady is supposedly not on top of his game yet or because we don't have a marquee pass rusher or a legit 3rd receiver, then our standards are clearly very, very high.  

Facts are facts: this team has re-worked its roster while remaining in contention not only for the playoff but the Superbowl.  Some big names have gone, but  this past draft looks to be very solid with a lot of contributors and a few potential stars.  Next year's draft picks should also help to create a very formidable mix of younger players to compete for jobs.  I love the strategy of compiling 2nd rounders until the new CBA is a done deal. 

This Pats FO really gets it; they build for sustainability and are not afraid to trade or cut players that aren't part of the sustainable formula.  We lose players like Seymour and possibly Wilfork, but if they don't fit into the master plan salary-wise somehow the Pats just plug along and continue to be very competitive.  It's hard to argue with the results.              

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

I think we all agree that BB isnt a perfect drafter
    ( I for one was really ticked off we "wasted " a late 2nd rounder on Volmer ... a guy who wasn't even invited to the combine and who most analysts thought was at best a 4th -5th round selection ... I actually liked his skill set...but questioned his early selection ...Considering he is currently our starting LT ...guess I was wrong /> A late 2nd rounder starting in the NFL is NEVER a "wasted pick " )
      Also , I like to give credit where credit is due;
      I find it a bit humorous that Al Davis may have actually gotten the better of us in his last few dealings ( Burgess looks like a one dimensional edge guy who can't even do his 1 dimension effectively and Ron Brace is a big question mark so far ~let's be honest, we can spin it any way we like but using a mid 2nd ,4th & 6th to obtain him is looking at best like a reasonable gamble that will need time to play out and at worst ...a Raider fleecing of us )
       To recap the Raider / Pats trades :
     Burgess / Brace for a 2nd , two 4ths , a 6th & a 7th .
    ( and @ 3 million dollars of salary , with Burgess afree agent next year )
    Who knows , maybe Burgess will recover his game and we'll discover Brace is just a slow starter who will eventually contribute for years to come . . .
    At any rate , even if neither pan out ...the Raiders would have to make about a dozen more such deals just to get back to even with the Pats
    ( u know why too )

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

RE: Thread about Pats trading for Larry Johnson  ...Personally I wouldnt even give up a conditional 7th rounder to take on his bad attitude / ginormous salary .

I 'd LOVE Pats to sign under appreciated Leon Washington next year
    ( F/A 2010 ... not sure if he's restricted or not )

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayWooo763. Show DayWooo763's posts

I'd like to look more in depth at the first trade the Patriots made. They Traded their 23rd selection for the 26th and the 162nd. Oher was drafted at 23rd so in essence we traded Oher (a promising left tackle) for the 26th and 162nd picks. We then traded those picks to Green Bay for the 41st, 73rd, and 83rd selections. Green Bay selected Clay Matthews and Jamon Meredith with those picks respectively. So, using the same logic, we traded Matthews and Meredith for the 41st, 73rd, and 83rd. We picked Darius Butler (41st) and Brandon Tate (83rd) and traded the 73rd for Jackonville's 2nd in 2010 and the 232nd, which we used to select Julian Edelman. Now, if you follow that logic, BB effectively turned Michael Oher into Darius Butler (a starting corner), Brandon Tate (a promising young receiver with incredible return ability), Julian Edelman (a former quarterback who was playing very well before being injured and may have wildcat potential), and Jacksonville's 2nd rounder in our upcoming draft!!! You've got to be kidding me! That was only one trade that BB executed on draft day. Another highlight, trading our 89th to Tennesse for their 2nd rounder this year. Tennesse drafted TE Jared Cook with that pick. So we traded Jared Cook for a second round pick which will surely be no lower than 40th! Once again, BB is a magician on draft day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

In Response to Re: PATS 2009 DRAFT DAY TRADES : In Depth Breakdown:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS 2009 DRAFT DAY TRADES : In Depth Breakdown : All in all good stuff but the analysis is incomplete if you do not throw in that we traded a high cost, aging Seymour for what could be a top five pick in a salary capped rookie slot in 2011.  If Al Davis calls, I hope BB takes the call every time. 
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

Good Point Encininitas  , RE: The SEYMOUR trade with Oakland
    (Pretty obvious too ~ cant believe that one slipped my mind )

It's also pretty interesting how many TRADES BB has made since the initial Cassel / Vrabel to KC Trade.

WONDER IF NOT HAVING PIOLI AROUND HAS ANYTHING THING TO DO WITH IT .

Just off the top of my head ...

PLAYERS We Traded Away :
     Cassel / Vrabel ( KC )
     Hobbs  ( PHIL )
     Hochstein  ( DEN )
     Seymour  ( OAK )
     Dave Thomas ( NO )

PLAYERS We Traded For :
    Alex Smith ( TB )...cut
    G Lewis ( PHIL ) ...cut
    D Burgess ( Oak )
    Prescott Burgess  ( BALT ) Conditional ...cut
    Michael Matthews ( NYG )  Conditional ...cut

Did I miss anyone?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

4 out of 5 players BB have traded for have been cut
    ( Wouldn't be totally shocked if it turns out to be 5 for 5 )
    Luckily BB has had much more sucess with FA aquisitions :
    McGowan in particular

Sections
Shortcuts