PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS

In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS:
    In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : Hi , not to mess with you but the Patriots were at $114 million dollar salary level after signing Tom Brady. The Cowboys buy comparision were at $!54 million which is insane. The Jets were not far behind the Cowboys at 145 million. The Pat's of course are paying for their stadium unlike the Jets. The Jets got tons of money via state and local plus sharing costs with the Giants. The Patriots got $75 million in highway and road improvements from the state. That was all they got.
    Posted by hayley-1999

Hey, thanks for the feedback. This is why I said "If I am not mistaken" because I was not entirely sure, there seems to be some conflicting information as to what the exact payroll figure really is, and I admit I am somewhat of a novice in terms of the subject of salary cap details. It was said during the game that the Pats had the highest payroll at 148 million, when I tried to double check online I found it posted in a few places such as this:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/261230-nfls-highest-payroll-is?eref=sihp

But, I have also seen a few sites (as well as posts in this forum) that have provided a much lower number. Could the disparity possibly due to upfront signing bonus' for Brady and Wilfork that only a percentage figures into the cap yet still counts as money spent this season on payroll? IDK.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from goredsox100. Show goredsox100's posts

In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : we're in the AFC East, bro
    Posted by IrishMob7

My bad. I'm at work, typing furiously fast so I am not reading what I accidentally type. Big Brother is watching. Always.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : Hey, thanks for the feedback. This is why I said "If I am not mistaken" because I was not entirely sure, there seems to be some conflicting information as to what the exact payroll figure really is, and I admit I am somewhat of a novice in terms of the subject of salary cap details. It was said during the game that the Pats had the highest payroll at 148 million, when I tried to double check online I found it posted in a few places such as this: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/261230-nfls-highest-payroll-is?eref=sihp But, I have also seen a few sites (as well as posts in this forum) that have provided a much lower number. Could the disparity possibly due to upfront signing bonus' for Brady and Wilfork that only a percentage figures into the cap yet still counts as money spent this season on payroll? IDK.
    Posted by HOFFBURGER

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : Hey, thanks for the feedback. This is why I said "If I am not mistaken" because I was not entirely sure, there seems to be some conflicting information as to what the exact payroll figure really is, and I admit I am somewhat of a novice in terms of the subject of salary cap details. It was said during the game that the Pats had the highest payroll at 148 million, when I tried to double check online I found it posted in a few places such as this: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/261230-nfls-highest-payroll-is?eref=sihp But, I have also seen a few sites (as well as posts in this forum) that have provided a much lower number. Could the disparity possibly due to upfront signing bonus' for Brady and Wilfork that only a percentage figures into the cap yet still counts as money spent this season on payroll? IDK.
    Posted by HOFFBURGER
    Hi , you could be right for this year because of Brady and Wilfolk up front Bonuses. My bad!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

gotta create some space by not re-signing Light and letting Branch and Bantu-Cain go. Maybe even Ty Warren (to injury prone). Need to franchise Mankins and sign FA's Kiwanuka at DE, Malcolm Floyd at WR and either of the Miami backs, Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams. Also look at LB Chad Greenway.
    Posted by pumpsiefan

i dont think branch is going anywhere...they already restructured his contract to a bit more of a team friendly deal after he got here. this season they had to pay the pro rated portion of what was left on the contract for this season on his original deal, but his cap figure will already be much lower next season if i had to guess. plus he's been pretty productive and he is close with TFB, i dont think they will take away Brady's favorite playpal again. At least not until his deal is up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I am surprised to see some of the respondents put Gerard Warren so low on their list of in house FAs to resign. Certainly Mankins, Arrington also need to be high priorities. I can accept the case for BJGE and Kevin Faulk (if the latter is willing to see reduced money and time due to Woody - or is he Little Big Man). I can see McGowan and Light as well. But Warren would be in the top group after Mankins and Arrington.

Outside FA might include a look at Ricky Williams, Pierre Thomas or Michael Bush. All would be good additions. There are some DEs and LBs available but I am not sure the price. Cullen Jenkins from the Packers is a good player and would fit in well. There are some others available but I just expect the price will be too high. But hey, you never know.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS:
    Okay, we've had a huge discussion on the 2011 draft and needs, but what about the Free Agent market in 2011? (let's just imagine that there is no hold-out) The Jets BUILT a team to win in Free Agency and trades, more so than in the draft this past year. The Jets brought in key veteran players to fill roles specifically to beat New England...and proved it worked. The Patriots (smartly) relied on the draft, but did not feverishly pursue veteran players and our inexperience showed when it counts the most. Nobody can deny this. And it is obvious that NY could care less about WHO they bring in regarding character issues, which makes things even tougher because New England has high player standards.  We also have to look at how many NYJ free agents will be on the market in 2011 and WHO we think Rex Ryan is going to pursue to make his team even more fearsome.  Who do we go after? Has Kraft realized that we are now in this thing to beat the Jets? We have to draft, trade and sign smarter this year to counter punch.
    Posted by goredsox100

Pass Rush, OL,  RB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

http://www.nfltraderumors.co/2011-nfl-free-agents/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from itllnevahapn. Show itllnevahapn's posts

go after rice from minnesota or malcom floyd for a deep threat, ty warren wont be the same after hip problem, and age. draft DL olb. and OL. i think the oline is over-rated

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Which positions has everyone on this board been clamouring for the Patriots to draft? OLB and DE well I took the time to go to the link CC provided and if you want the patriots to fix their deficiancies at those positions they don't need to draft the young guys they can buy them instead,DE: Tamba Hali,Ray Edwards and Mathias Kiwanuka are all free agents and of the 3 Ray Edwards is an absolute beast,if you just want the biggest line ever essembled Holoti Ngota is also a Free Agent put him next to the Fork and watch them try and run up the middle,ain't gonna happen.. You want a big talented WR Sidney Rice is a Free Agent and he meets the requirements as a speed receiver who can open up the field for Wes Welker and the midgets to operate,but like most writers I saved the best player for last: Nnamdi Asomuhga might be the best player to come free in 10 years,you sign him and put him opposite McCourty and watch the rest of the league just cringe at the possibility of having to face that duo on any given sunday! In fact sign Nnamdi and Ngota and both aspects of offense are out of the question....If you really want to make the GM's and HC's league wide cry uncle! add Rice and Woodley to this group and watch them all quit their jobs...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

like low cost options such as steve breaston and mike sims-walker. y not give ahmad bradshaw a little kick? the guy fumbles at times but he can break one. same with champ bailey for a year or 2. ngata and hali would be awesome, same with vincent jackson. actually wanted that mankins-jackson swipe. we need a young stud at flanker. even dez bryant or sidney rice would cut it. y not joseph addai or braylon edwards as wild cards if we dont get any of the other guys. bb loves addai, a pat kind of guy. 

on a lighter note, perhaps we can bring in peyton for a look-see.. you never know how bad brady's foot actually is or how it will react. think colts wont be as hot about peyton at this point. for one year, he can see what its like to be around a superior coach and qb and carry that clipboard before leaving again to compete for a ring. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

like low cost options such as steve breaston and mike sims-walker. y not give ahmad bradshaw a little kick? the guy fumbles at times but he can break one. same with champ bailey for a year or 2. ngata and hali would be awesome, same with vincent jackson. actually wanted that mankins-jackson swipe. we need a young stud at flanker. even dez bryant or sidney rice would cut it. y not joseph addai or braylon edwards as wild cards if we dont get any of the other guys. bb loves addai, a pat kind of guy.  on a lighter note, perhaps we can bring in peyton for a look-see.. you never know how bad brady's foot actually is or how it will react. think colts wont be as hot about peyton at this point. for one year, he can see what its like to be around a superior coach and qb and carry that clipboard before leaving again to compete for a ring. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

stopped pretending to really be a patriot fan for a few moments there, did you?  amazing how people can see all the ¢rap you post, then take you SERIOUSLY when you make a comment that DOESN'T come out of your a$s one time.  Loser.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

I like Sidney Rice and Lamar Woodley.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac24. Show mac24's posts

I just think the Pats inability to rush the passer was glaring in the Jets game. I'd love to see them draft a pass-rushing DE with their first pick and if we can get another pass-rusher in FA I'm all for it. Bodden coming back will be huge too!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I just think the Pats inability to rush the passer was glaring in the Jets game. I'd love to see them draft a pass-rushing DE with their first pick and if we can get another pass-rusher in FA I'm all for it. Bodden coming back will be huge too!
    Posted by mac24
    I still say try and sign one of the top tier FA DE's and Nnamdi because though Bodden is coming back he isn't Nnamdi Asomugha,we can always debate the differences but there are no comparables between the two. If you sign these two guys then you free up those draft choices for players that BB can cultivate rather than the type you have to see immediate results from....I really think Free Agency plays a bigger part in the Patriots offseason but we shall see what BB conjures up!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : stopped pretending to really be a patriot fan for a few moments there, did you?  amazing how people can see all the ¢rap you post, then take you SERIOUSLY when you make a comment that DOESN'T come out of your a$s one time.  Loser.  
    Posted by Davedsone
    ok davidTOOL, your point is what....? other than 4yo name calling? u must have been picked on a lot for coming to school in that full hockey outfit (when you werent on the team)Cool

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac24. Show mac24's posts

In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : I still say try and sign one of the top tier FA DE's and Nnamdi because though Bodden is coming back he isn't Nnamdi Asomugha,we can always debate the differences but there are no comparables between the two. If you sign these two guys then you free up those draft choices for players that BB can cultivate rather than the type you have to see immediate results from....I really think Free Agency plays a bigger part in the Patriots offseason but we shall see what BB conjures up!
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Asomungha will be awfully expensive. Don't know if the Pats would pay that price. He would be great though. Probably make the Patriots secondary top 5 immediately. They could always surprise; the Colvin signing came from nowhere. I know that was awhile ago but still... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : Seriously, if I read another "we need a deep threat" post I'm going to flip out! Especially when you bring TO and Moss into the discussion, and Reggie Bush as a receiver??? 

good points. i do not agree with your conclusion but respect how you had to say it. first of, i do not think we should go back to featuring the flanker as we did before. talking decoy most of the time. but to be a good decoy, you must be able to get some respect and already have a track record. on sunday, jets played their safeties about 10 yards closer than they or anyone else normally did. sorry, it just takes one game.. remember 2007 mrs. lincoln? same with 2005 with denver.. its one and done time that is killing us! if we had a moss out there or a sidney rice, you can bet your life the jets would have had the safeties a bit further back, freeing things just a wee bit underneath! just saying...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : Seriously, if I read another "we need a deep threat" post I'm going to flip out! Especially when you bring TO and Moss into the discussion, and Reggie Bush as a receiver??? 
    Posted by Prophet76

good points. i do not agree with your conclusion but respect how you had to say it. first of, i do not think we should go back to featuring the flanker as we did before. talking decoy most of the time. but to be a good decoy, you must be able to get some respect and already have a track record. on sunday, jets played their safeties about 10 yards closer than they or anyone else normally did. sorry, it just takes one game.. remember 2007 mrs. lincoln? same with 2005 with denver.. its one and done time that is killing us! if we had a moss out there or a sidney rice, you can bet your life the jets would have had the safeties a bit further back, freeing things just a wee bit underneath! just saying...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

I would like kiwanukka to come in as an edge rusher.Mike simms walker as a potential number 1 reciever hes 26 and shown potential. brian leonhard is a fb/big back and then a rookie rb to finnish out the backfield.
    Other optiona include- Santa moss a veteran wr with speed.
    John Greco- a decent young gaurd, or Olin kruetz to play rg if they can get him cheap.
    Shaun Cody- could be this years gerrard warren
    kameron wimbley- a athletic guy off the edge

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

BB will NOT make a major FA move other than our own FA's. I would expect to see Faulk come back on a 1 yr deal, Mankins, and BJGE.

I don't expect to see Light (unless he will take a discount) or Arrington. I think Arrington was average at best. Yeah, he was an improvement over Butler, but he got toasted a lot in the red zone. I expect BB to address it in the draft with a 3-4th rounder CB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

BB will NOT make a major FA move other than our own FA's. I would expect to see Faulk come back on a 1 yr deal, Mankins, and BJGE. I don't expect to see Light (unless he will take a discount) or Arrington. I think Arrington was average at best. Yeah, he was an improvement over Butler, but he got toasted a lot in the red zone. I expect BB to address it in the draft with a 3-4th rounder CB.
    Posted by 4Adam13
    What happens if the CBA allows BB the flexibility to sign a guy in Nnamdi's situation? You don't think that BB wouldn't be drooling all over himself at the chance to finally have bookend Cornerbacks? Think again! Heck I'd bet you if he can squeeze them in he'll sign or try and get both Ricky Williams and Ochocinco because he has respect for both of those guys.I really see this year as an opportunity too acquire top talent from the free agent pool as opposed to drafting a maybe from some college program noone has ever heard of...BB has the armament to go get two FA's via sign and trades and he can still get the big one Nnamdi, provided the CBA cooperates

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : Which positions has everyone on this board been clamouring for the Patriots to draft? OLB and DE well I took the time to go to the link CC provided and if you want the patriots to fix their deficiancies at those positions they don't need to draft the young guys they can buy them instead,DE: Tamba Hali,Ray Edwards and Mathias Kiwanuka are all free agents and of the 3 Ray Edwards is an absolute beast,if you just want the biggest line ever essembled Holoti Ngota is also a Free Agent put him next to the Fork and watch them try and run up the middle,ain't gonna happen.. You want a big talented WR Sidney Rice is a Free Agent and he meets the requirements as a speed receiver who can open up the field for Wes Welker and the midgets to operate,but like most writers I saved the best player for last: Nnamdi Asomuhga might be the best player to come free in 10 years,you sign him and put him opposite McCourty and watch the rest of the league just cringe at the possibility of having to face that duo on any given sunday! In fact sign Nnamdi and Ngota and both aspects of offense are out of the question....If you really want to make the GM's and HC's league wide cry uncle! add Rice and Woodley to this group and watch them all quit their jobs...
    Posted by sportsbozo1

great info sportsbozo!
    i dont think the teams in the league would allow us to get all 4.
    but if we could get any (or any #) of them i would. why would their teams let them go, and why would ngota and woodley want to leave their teams?

ngota would be first on my list (he's practically unblockable)
    then nnamdi (2nd preference)
    then woodley
    then rice

it's fun to dream.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : Believe me, I totally get what you're saying. I just don't think one receiver would have made a difference. Look what the Jets did to Reggie Wayne. Knowing the Jets I think they would have stuck with their plan until the Pats made them adjust. Their plan was to take the game out of TB's hand and unfortunately for us it worked. The scheme is now out there and hopefully the Pats know how to handle it better next time. RUN THE BALL DOWN THEIR THROATS TO SET UP THE PASS.
    Posted by Prophet76
    nice point proph, we however do not have the quick-strike type of running back who could take advantage of that jets scheme.
    again, a bradshaw who could help a bit. 

again the big beef i have with lots of these suggestions is that they never really take into consideration how belichick actually does things based on his predictable track record or god forbid, how other teams' moves will dictate our moves. first of, bel will NEVER spend that kind of money on a nmandi or any cornerback for that matter, even his own! he will settle with bodden (guy is signed for 3-4 more years), perhaps have arrington or a wilhite as the third wheel. that would be good enough. i dont see arrington getting much better, unlike wilhite or BUTLER! yes, he will spend top market money for the giants linebacker/DE pass rushing dude. i dont see him spending top money for a free agent running back either. if he can sign a sidney rice, i think he would go 9 or 10 mil for him or a vincent jackson. those are surefire guys. he wont spend it for a TO or a moss however. if those first 2 guys are off the market, he will go with a sims-walker type. could be a bargain gem.

unfortunately for us though, i can see the jets making a play for nmandi! from what i have read,they already have a wink wink deal with him. can you imagine revis and that dude together? we would have to load up with a proven quick-strike receiver and running back. again, we have the salary cap room! believe it or not, it wont surprise me if we let mankins walk or only offer him the franchise tag. we seem to be able to get guys off the street to play offensive line.. y not spend all that money elsewhere?  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Free Agency is going to be tough until a CBA gets resolved. I'd imagine we'll end up getting a salary cap. From what I've been reading/hearing this won't be free agency like the past few years. You may see a lot of free agents not picked up until a deal gets struck.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/12/ten-things-to-know-about-the-labor-situation/#more-103120

Sections
Shortcuts