PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS

CB Kyle Arrington - keep #3
    S Josh Barrett - keep #7
    RB Kevin Faulk - keep #6
    K Shayne Graham - gone - rebuilt rep and will take a lot to resign him when we already have Gost
    RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis - keep #4 otherwise we will need 3 RB's as Morris/Taylor below will be gone.
    OL Matt Light - keep #2
    OL Logan Mankins - keep #1
    S Brandon McGowan - keep #8 trade Meriweather for DL or OLB
    RB Sammy Morris - gone
    OL Quinn Ojinnaka - gone
    S Jarrad Page - keep
    RB Fred Taylor - gone
    DL Gerard Warren - keep #5 not sure how Ty Warren' sinjury will impact his tiemline to return and how well he will be able to play....
    LB Tracy White - keep good special teams player and now knows the system.

On the FA side - in 2010 the Pats were not that active as there were very few quality FA's available

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : What happens if the CBA allows BB the flexibility to sign a guy in Nnamdi's situation? You don't think that BB wouldn't be drooling all over himself at the chance to finally have bookend Cornerbacks? Think again! Heck I'd bet you if he can squeeze them in he'll sign or try and get both Ricky Williams and Ochocinco because he has respect for both of those guys.I really see this year as an opportunity too acquire top talent from the free agent pool as opposed to drafting a maybe from some college program noone has ever heard of...BB has the armament to go get two FA's via sign and trades and he can still get the big one Nnamdi, provided the CBA cooperates
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Sportsbozo,

Interesting point you bring up about the CBA, but consider this. When has BB ever overpaid for a FA? I can think of one time, and that was Thomas, which you can argue easily that he didn't overpay for him because he was a premier LB in the league at the time, he just didn't perform once in a Pats uniform.

BB is ultra conservative, and although it infuriates fans, he will not overpay for players. Personally, I thing his business model is what has allowed us to enjoy sustained success over the years. If you consider how many teams we outperform every year while those teams continuing to be bottom dwellers, I think what BB has built here is amazing. We've had over 10 years of success. Thats amazing in the NFL where salary caps are suppose to keep teams competitive.

He will never pay Nnamdi the kind of money he wants. Never. I'll eat crow again if it happens, but BB's track record says it will never happen. It's a cool and interesting thought and allows us to play the what-if game, but I think you and I have a better chance of winning powerball than BB spending the big bucks.

Once other thing to consider. We have two 1st rounders this year and 2 second rounders. Considering they have the potential to be very good players, BB is going to need the funds to sign our draft picks. I also think a significant chunk will be spent on Mankins.

Just my .2

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from goredsox100. Show goredsox100's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : What happens if the CBA allows BB the flexibility to sign a guy in Nnamdi's situation? You don't think that BB wouldn't be drooling all over himself at the chance to finally have bookend Cornerbacks? Think again! Heck I'd bet you if he can squeeze them in he'll sign or try and get both Ricky Williams and Ochocinco because he has respect for both of those guys.I really see this year as an opportunity too acquire top talent from the free agent pool as opposed to drafting a maybe from some college program noone has ever heard of...BB has the armament to go get two FA's via sign and trades and he can still get the big one Nnamdi, provided the CBA cooperates
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Nnamdi is by far one of the top 3 best FA on the market. I think a ton of teams will be in on him. I live in Atlanta and he was the marquee discussion today. The Falcs have the same problem as the Pats: NO PASS RUSH, suspect backfield on defense. (Although Champ Bailey is a Georgia born player and might be a wiser FA signing for ATL). But ultimately, lots Teams will be drooling to sign this dude. I would even go as far as to say the Jets let Cromartie go bye-bye in FA to bring him in. 

Either way, he would certainly be a prize. 

What does anyone think about Champ Bailey? He's still one of the best in the game. But is he a Pats prototype? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : great info sportsbozo! i dont think the teams in the league would allow us to get all 4. but if we could get any (or any #) of them i would. why would their teams let them go, and why would ngota and woodley want to leave their teams? ngota would be first on my list (he's practically unblockable) then nnamdi (2nd preference) then woodley then rice it's fun to dream.
    Posted by cbdam[/QUOTE] Well why can't the players in the NFL pull off what LeBrat and Wade did in the NBA? I mean whose to stop three or four players from forming a group that wanrts to play together? You are right about the rest of the NFL not allowing the Patriots to pull off the move where 4 stars form an allegience and they definately won't let BB gets his hands on 4 stars to add to his collection of gifted atheletes. You are right I can dream though....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : Nnamdi is by far one of the top 3 best FA on the market. I think a ton of teams will be in on him. I live in Atlanta and he was the marquee discussion today. The Falcs have the same problem as the Pats: NO PASS RUSH, suspect backfield on defense. (Although Champ Bailey is a Georgia born player and might be a wiser FA signing for ATL). But ultimately, lots Teams will be drooling to sign this dude. I would even go as far as to say the Jets let Cromartie go bye-bye in FA to bring him in.  Either way, he would certainly be a prize.  What does anyone think about Champ Bailey? He's still one of the best in the game. But is he a Pats prototype? 
    Posted by goredsox100[/QUOTE] Champ Bailey if not injured is still a quality DB,and he to would look good in a BB coached DB field. I just took the 4 best guys off the list provided by Communist cooltrain and stated what I believe to be a fact if the Patriots added these four players they would be a shutdown defense and a powerhouse beyond approach...Will my pipe dream come to fruition? You never know what lurks in the mind of the evil genius BB....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

here is how i would rank our FA's
    2011 Patriots FA

1.  OL Logan Mankins
    2.  DL Gerard Warren
    3.  CB Kyle Arrington
    4.  RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    5.  S Jarrad Page
    6.  S Brandon McGowan 
    7.  RB Sammy Morris
    8.  OL Matt Light
    9. LB Tracy White
    10.  OL Quinn Ojinnaka
    11. S Josh Barrett 
    12. RB Kevin Faulk 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

here are who i believe to be the top FA's the players in bold are the one's i think we would actually have realistic interest in.  We need more OL and some major pass rush, getting one or 2 guys at each of these positions would put us in great shape for the draft.

1. Haloti Ngata DT (Balt)
    2. Nnamdi Asomugha CB (Oak)
    3. Tamba Hali OLB (Kansas city)
    4. Logan Mankins OL (NE)
    5. Lamarr Woodley OLB (Pitt)
    6. Vincent Jackson WR (SD)
    7. Champ Bailey CB (Denver)
    8. DeAngelo Williams RB (Car)
    9. Johnathan Joseph CB (CIN)
    10. Davin Joseph OG (TB)
    11. Ike Taylor CB (Pitt)
    12. Eric Wright CB (Cle)
    13. Barrett Ruud LB (TB)
    14. Zach Miller TE (Oak)
    15. Brent Grimes CB (Atl)
    16. BenJarvus Green-Ellis RB (NE)
    17. Ronnie Brown RB (Mia)
    18. Shaun Ellis DT (NYJ)
    19. Paul Posluszny LB (Buf)
    20. OchoCinco WR (Cinn) - not a FA but most believe he soon will be
    21. Brian Leonard RB (Cinn)
    22. Pierre Thomas RB (NO)

23. Cullen Jenkins DL (GB)
    24. Joseph Addai RB (Indy)
    25. Carl Nicks OG (NO)
    26. John Kuhn FB (GB)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

only issue is that bje is a restricted free agent. can see a scenario where we put a welker type label on him and some team like the saints come in and give us a second and a third for him with smiling and going on to bigger and faster things..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goredsox100. Show goredsox100's posts

[QUOTE]here are who i believe to be the top FA's the players in bold are the one's i think we would actually have realistic interest in.  We need more OL and some major pass rush, getting one or 2 guys at each of these positions would put us in great shape for the draft. 1. Haloti Ngata DT (Balt) 2. Nnamdi Asomugha CB (Oak) 3. Tamba Hali OLB (Kansas city) 4. Logan Mankins OL (NE) 5. Lamarr Woodley OLB (Pitt) 6. Vincent Jackson WR (SD) 7. Champ Bailey CB (Denver) 8. DeAngelo Williams RB (Car) 9. Johnathan Joseph CB (CIN) 10. Davin Joseph OG (TB) 11. Ike Taylor CB (Pitt) 12. Eric Wright CB (Cle) 13. Barrett Ruud LB (TB) 14. Zach Miller TE (Oak) 15. Brent Grimes CB (Atl) 16. BenJarvus Green-Ellis RB (NE) 17. Ronnie Brown RB (Mia) 18. Shaun Ellis DT (NYJ) 19. Paul Posluszny LB (Buf) 20. OchoCinco WR (Cinn) - not a FA but most believe he soon will be 21. Brian Leonard RB (Cinn) 22. Pierre Thomas RB (NO) 23. Cullen Jenkins DL (GB) 24. Joseph Addai RB (Indy) 25. Carl Nicks OG (NO) 26. John Kuhn FB (GB)
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

Man, I highly doubt Baltimore will not franchise Ngata. Can you imagine letting him go? I'd give up, trade, non-tender, cut every DL to have him and Wilfork together. Now back to reality for me. 

I would love to see Bailey or Asomuhga here. They both instantly bolster us to a very dangerous backfield. Problem is, again, I think Atlanta will pursue Bailey. They need him with Grimes going FA, and, they were weak here. Either way, lots of teams will be after both of them. I think NE has a shot to get in the game.

Tamba Hali would be another amazing signing. I don't know if he's labeled done at KC. I heard Pioli put him as their #1 priority (He is the Logan Mankins of the Chiefs 2011 FA's). So, I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to franchise tag him. He certainly would free us up come draft day if we could land him. In fact, pricetag depending, he might give Belichick the most options in the draft to focus on OL, DE and a running back the first three rounds. Hali would solve our very need for a brutal pass rushing OLB. We could then find bookend TE's.

Landing Hali we could then draft:
    17.  DE (best available for impact)
    28.  RB (Williams, LeShoure or Ingram)
    33.  OL
    60.  OL or DE (best available)
    74.  DE or OL (best avail)
    92.  WR or DB

I also like Paul Posluszny and Woodley as FA LB/OLB options. I'd be very happy with either. Either way, "if" we could get one, it would completely change our draft strategy and solve a lot of problems. Add Ricky Williams as a tandem RB, we are golden in April.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reloadedagent31. Show Reloadedagent31's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : Seriously, if I read another "we need a deep threat" post I'm going to flip out! Especially when you bring TO and Moss into the discussion, and Reggie Bush as a receiver??? The Pats had a deep threat in 07 and up to the 4th game of the season (lost to the Jets in week 2 with him in on the field), remember him... What did that get the Pats? Oh yeah, nothing! The Pats need to solidify both lines and build from that. Keep Brady clean, and get the other QB dirty! A deep threat doesn't do anything for you when you don't have time to throw the ball in the first place and the O line like every time Brady seems to have a bad game looked pourous against pressure on Sunday. Seriously, the Pats had the highest scoring offense in the entire league and a 14-2 record. One game and everyone wants to blame it on the lack of a "deep threat receiver". It's complete garbage! If you really think a deep threat would have mattered on Sunday when the Jets were sometimes dropping 8 into coverage and beating the crap out of the receivers and TE's across the middle you're crazy! If anything, a receiver consistently going deep would have amounted to nothing but an additional INT. The game on Sunday was lost in the X's and O's... If the Pats established the run and stuffed it down their throats  EARLY they would have been able to keep the Jets off balance. Instead the first two drives ended in mistakes, they got desperate and made their offense one dimensional which played right into the hands of the Jets. Shotgun, Empty backfield, when they're giving you the run, etc... They were outcoached and it had nothing to do with a sexy receiver not being on the field. RANT OVER!
    Posted by Prophet76[/QUOTE]

What? The Patriots were unstoppable using the shotgun w/ empty backfield. Remember 2007...bad example. Honestly, it would have been nice to win the Superbowl, but they had a bad game first. They had the formula on offense, but like you said, they played right into the Jets hands being one dimensional. Even if they punt the ball late in the 2nd quarter it's 7-3 Jets who would have to march down the field with the score 7-3 as opposed to 14-3 going into halftime. I thought Green-Ellis was the 1,000 back, so why was Woodhead getting most of the carries that game? Plus, you would figure if the opposing defense is daring you to run, you'd employ multiple TE packages as opposed to 3 WR sets.

The only problems I see on this team is the same problems that have existed since 2007 which are the trenches.  Everything else is in place, they just need a consistent pass rush. Resign G. Warren and draft a defensive lineman with at least one of their top 6 picks. If possible, cut Banta-Cain who proved to only excel against the Bills. I would keep the group of Ninkovich, Moore & Cunningham pick up a 3-4 OLB FA & draft 2 more (at least one with 1st 6 picks).

If the price is right, I would extend Light and franchise Mankins in hopes of a long-term deal gets done. Wilfork deemed the tag a 'slap in the face'. One week later, he's the highest paid NT in the game. Connolly could man RG if Neal retires and Vollmer could play either tackle. Drafting a couple lineman couldn't hurt this year.

Altogether, you can't let this game discourage you from the future. If there's football, their schedule looks favorable w/ the NFC East & AFC West in 2011. They were 6-1 against the top 10 scoring defenses this year, why would they need a deep threat? They lead to twice as many incompletions as they do completions. At least give Tate, Edelman & Price a chance. The 2010 draft paid immediate dividends. Build on that with at least two or three from this year doing the same, they'll be back in contention for the Superbowl. I'm hoping somewhere along the lines of DE, OT, OLB with the 1st 3 picks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

The only free gaents we should go after are Mankins and maybe Vincent Jackson, and use the draft to reload at the positions we need help at

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinehurstpf. Show pinehurstpf's posts

I am sure our C & D backs will improve greatly if a QB only has 3 - 4 seconds to get rid of the ball and not 5 seconds. How can you argue with our offense? If we were not loaded with draft picks then FA woul be the way to go. Years have been spent amassing picks for this year, use them to get

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinehurstpf. Show pinehurstpf's posts

Oops, must have hit a wrong key. To finish I would devote this years draft to building a pass rush. If BB trades down, I will go crazy.