PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS

As far as free agency goes, we will probably see a similiar approach to last year if I had to guess. Meaning the focus will more than likely be on reatining their own, possibly Light and HOPEFULLY Mankins. I cant see them letting both those guys walk. Hopefully they up the ante for Logan a bit and find some common ground, and I really hope that the late season run helped partially mend some fences and Mankins realized this is where he would like to be. Toss in the fact that Ty Warren and Leigh Bodden will be back and I doubt they do anything substantial in free agency (they rarely do anyway). Probably not much more than bodies for training camp competition (depending on how the CBA issue works out). IMO this draft is extremely crucial...they got a few young pieces to work with going forward, another stellar draft class could really seal the deal as far as having a strong nucleus for years to come.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from goredsox100. Show goredsox100's posts

In Response to PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS:
    My thinking is that New England pursues a proven explosive Running Back (like Reggie Bush) http://www.boston.com/sports/video/globe10/?bctid=753437009001

and a quality offensive lineman to replace Neal in Free Agency.

I'd love to see NE gobble up defensive defensive players with the first three-four picks. I know we desperately need a deep threat WR with size and strength. One player I'm worried about is that you have four WR's on the market with character issues, all of which the Jets would have no problem pursuing (Moss, Edwards, Holmes, Vincent Jackson). My thinking is that NY will let Edwards go, re-sign Holmes and strongly pursue Vincent Jackson. I could also see them going after Moss just to create more controversy.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from goredsox100. Show goredsox100's posts

In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS:
    [QUOTE]As far as free agency goes, we will probably see a similiar approach to last year if I had to guess. Meaning the focus will more than likely be on reatining their own, possibly Light and HOPEFULLY Mankins. I cant see them letting both those guys walk. Hopefully they up the ante for Logan a bit and find some common ground, and I really hope that the late season run helped partially mend some fences and Mankins realized this is where he would like to be. Toss in the fact that Ty Warren and Leigh Bodden will be back and I doubt they do anything substantial in free agency (they rarely do anyway). Probably not much more than bodies for training camp competition (depending on how the CBA issue works out). IMO this draft is extremely crucial...they got a few young pieces to work with going forward, another stellar draft class could really seal the deal as far as having a strong nucleus for years to come.
    Posted by HOFFBURGER[/QUOTE]

I don't think they can sit in FA and act the same way as in the past, especially with the draft advantage that NE has. NY has proven a Yankees style model of pursuing talent in FA to beat NE. We have to counter back and get in the discussion on available players - if nothing else to drive up the costs on a player. The game has changed in the NFC East on how things are done. We've gotta start playing the same way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from canpatfan. Show canpatfan's posts

The Pats simply have to draft a D lineman (OLB etc.) to create some pressure on opposing offenses.  That is first - and by the looks of it - the draft is stockpiled with these kinds of players.  The 17th pick if not traded up for - will have to be used for that.  I was extremely impressed with the development of BJGE - but is has he peaked in his talent level??  We for sure - need some deep threat - wr (a la ocho cinco perhaps - I would even try to get Fitzg from the Cards).  I still like Branch if he is healthy -he may have a few more good years in him.  Tate and Price are talented to a degree but unproven.  With Welker, Woodhead, Hernandez and Gronk - we have an awesome core of receivers.  They can only get batter.  We don't need a CB either.  Defense is key for the Pats as they look ahead.

In a few years if not sooner they need to think about a successor to Brady.  I don't care about what anbyone says - therew ws something physically hindering him on Sunday - he looked awkward and even slower than usuall - no fire in his eyes. As a matter of fact there was something wriong with the coaching staff as well.  SO - that needs to be addressed as well.  The Pats have not come up big in games that have really mattered in recent seasons in the playoffs.  It may be a matter of talent - but also, coaching.  That said - I think that the Patriots really should consider some changes in how the offense is run.  It is unacceptable to have laid an egg they way they did on Sunday after weilding sheer dominance over many teams.  I have a feeling though - that the Packers may have beaten them anyway in the SB?

In Response to PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS:
    [QUOTE]Okay, we've had a huge discussion on the 2011 draft and needs, but what about the Free Agent market in 2011? (let's just imagine that there is no hold-out) The Jets BUILT a team to win in Free Agency and trades, more so than in the draft this past year. The Jets brought in key veteran players to fill roles specifically to beat New England...and proved it worked. The Patriots (smartly) relied on the draft, but did not feverishly pursue veteran players and our inexperience showed when it counts the most. Nobody can deny this. And it is obvious that NY could care less about WHO they bring in regarding character issues, which makes things even tougher because New England has high player standards.  We also have to look at how many NYJ free agents will be on the market in 2011 and WHO we think Rex Ryan is going to pursue to make his team even more fearsome.  Who do we go after? Has Kraft realized that we are now in this thing to beat the Jets? We have to draft, trade and sign smarter this year to counter punch.
    Posted by goredsox100[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

reggie bush is not an "explosive" running back hes a good punt return guy, but woodhead is just as good as a running back.

what our main needs are is a legit deep threat that tb cant over throw, and a all pro pass rusher.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

I wouldnt mind seeing something emerge from that Ricky Williams speculation that was floating around after the final reg season game. Considering Fred Taylor was pretty much worthless his few seasons here, Ricky could step right into that veteran back role, splitting time with BJGE with Woody becoming more of a true 3rd down back. Ricky has more left at this point than Fred did when he got here, and thats not a hindsight statement I wouldve said that before we saw the injuries up close for ourselves.

I am not really thrilled with any of the diva wideouts available, but if they feel the need to go that route I guess I would say Ocho Cinco. Dont get me wrong I am not a fan of all the self promotion and his skills are greatly diminished, I only say this because of anyone else I guess I would rather have the guy that has tremendous respect for our coach...maybe BB could squeeze a lil something outta him...who knows.

I seriously doubt the Jets would go after Moss because they know his limitations at this stage just as well as the Pats do. They'd probably just try their best to keep their current group intact somehow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from goredsox100. Show goredsox100's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldnt mind seeing something emerge from that Ricky Williams speculation that was floating around after the final reg season game. Considering Fred Taylor was pretty much worthless his few seasons here, Ricky could step right into that veteran back role, splitting time with BJGE with Woody becoming more of a true 3rd down back. Ricky has more left at this point than Fred did when he got here, and thats not a hindsight statement I wouldve said that before we saw the injuries up close for ourselves. I am not really thrilled with any of the diva wideouts available, but if they feel the need to go that route I guess I would say Ocho Cinco. Dont get me wrong I am not a fan of all the self promotion and his skills are greatly diminished, I only say this because of anyone else I guess I would rather have the guy that has tremendous respect for our coach...maybe BB could squeeze a lil something outta him...who knows. I seriously doubt the Jets would go after Moss because they know his limitations at this stage just as well as the Pats do. They'd probably just try their best to keep their current group intact somehow.

I sincerely think NYJ will let Edwards go and pursue Vincent Jackson. If NE were to go after Ocho, why not pursue Vincent Jackson then? I dunno. WR is going to be the FA battlefront this year, especially between NY and NE, even if they do re-sign both Holmes and Edwards. We have a great corps of WRs & TEs but need a big, athletic deep threat. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goredsox100. Show goredsox100's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : I sincerely think NYJ will let Edwards go and pursue Vincent Jackson. If NE were to go after Ocho, why not pursue Vincent Jackson then? I dunno. WR is going to be the FA battlefront this year, especially between NY and NE, even if they do re-sign both Holmes and Edwards. We have a great corps of WRs & TEs but need a big, athletic deep threat. 

BTW, I think BJGE and Ricky Williams tandem is a great idea if they do not get Mark Ingram or Mikel LeShoure in the draft. If one of the two is available within the first 33 picks, they are the ONLY offensive players I'd pursue with the draft over bolstering our Front 7.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : I don't think they can sit in FA and act the same way as in the past, especially with the draft advantage that NE has. NY has proven a Yankees style model of pursuing talent in FA to beat NE. We have to counter back and get in the discussion on available players - if nothing else to drive up the costs on a player. The game has changed in the NFC East on how things are done. We've gotta start playing the same way.

Not saying I agree nor disagree with this staement, just dont think the Pats are in a position to pull off a mass overhaul in free agency. If I am not mistaken, I believe they said during the broadcast this past weekend that the this season (with TFB's contract) that the Pats actually had the highest payroll. Toss in the fact that they cannot let 2 key offensive linemen walk and then wait around for new rookies develop, Mankins is in line for his payday and I hope they give it to them.

We also have no idea how the labor situation plays out, the proposed rookie payscale, the new cap and franchise player tag rules etc.

I know it's a pipe dream, but with the crop of young guys the last 2 drafts have yielded, I would love to see them get aggressive on draft and use those picks. Move up, or at least use all the high picks and start trading down and dealing away on day 2 for a change. It'd be sweet if BB turned this into a similar situation that Jimmy Johnson did in Dallas back he traded away Herscel Walker.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : I sincerely think NYJ will let Edwards go and pursue Vincent Jackson. If NE were to go after Ocho, why not pursue Vincent Jackson then? I dunno. WR is going to be the FA battlefront this year, especially between NY and NE, even if they do re-sign both Holmes and Edwards. We have a great corps of WRs & TEs but need a big, athletic deep threat. 

Because Vincent Jackson wants big bucks and a long term deal, the Pats cant afford his asking prices IMO. But there does exist a small possibility that if Ocho Cinco frees himself from his final year on his deal, maybe he'd be willing to come here on a team friendly deal to work with BB and try to get his career back on track.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

i think our best option is to trade for Larry Fitzgerald.  Trust me on this one.  Hes on his final year of his contract.  He wants to win now, certainly something the he cant do in AZ for a few years.  I think the Cardinals would accept the raiders pick and a 4th rounder for Larry.
    He had 1000+ yards with John Skelton and Max Hall throwing him the ball.  This is the only guy we need on our team.  Then Draft J.J. Watt in the 1st round and take the Guard from Florida State with the panthers pick.  BINGO!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goredsox100. Show goredsox100's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : Not saying I agree nor disagree with this staement, just dont think the Pats are in a position to pull off a mass overhaul in free agency. If I am not mistaken, I believe they said during the broadcast this past weekend that the this season (with TFB's contract) that the Pats actually had the highest payroll. Toss in the fact that they cannot let 2 key offensive linemen walk and then wait around for new rookies develop, Mankins is in line for his payday and I hope they give it to them. We also have no idea how the labor situation plays out, the proposed rookie payscale, the new cap and franchise player tag rules etc. I know it's a pipe dream, but with the crop of young guys the last 2 drafts have yielded, I would love to see them get aggressive on draft and use those picks. Move up, or at least use all the high picks and start trading down and dealing away on day 2 for a change. It'd be sweet if BB turned this into a similar situation that Jimmy Johnson did in Dallas back he traded away Herscel Walker.

Labor agreement aside (too hard to predict) I did not know the Pats had the highest payroll. Interesting. I 110% agree about Mankins. He must be kept. 

Yes, the Pats must not trade away or down this year. I know he has specific players in mind and will trade once he feels they are available further down, but we need to go hard after an RB and Front 7 first and foremost in this draft. 

I also am seeing that the Buffalo Bills Paul Posluzny is a FA. Anyone have thoughts on him? He reminds me of a Patriots-style player who can get at the QB, hits hard. He did a lot over the last two years with such a horrible Buffalo DL in front of him. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Whoever are the smart, fast, talented defensive players that want to go for a ring rather than every last dollar they can get in the open market...

This site has some good info on the free agents for this offseason

http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/550198-25-best-value-nfl-free-agents-of-2011?search_query=2011%20NFL%20free%20agents

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

thanks for the links guys...was looking for some new reading material...appreciated

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]thanks for the links guys...was looking for some new reading material...appreciated
    Posted by HOFFBURGER[/QUOTE]no prob.. glad someone else started this thread...

who would you re-sign out of the pats' 2010 free agents and in what order of priority?

CB Kyle Arrington 
    S Josh Barrett 
    RB Kevin Faulk 
    K Shayne Graham 
    RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis 
    OL Matt Light 
    OL Logan Mankins 
    S Brandon McGowan 
    RB Sammy Morris 
    OL Quinn Ojinnaka 
    S Jarrad Page 
    RB Fred Taylor 
    DL Gerard Warren 
    LB Tracy White 

i hope we bring back mankins, warren, mcgowan, BJE and faulk in that order. with bodden and us being obligated to wilhite and butler, no need for arrington.
    i like mcgowan. if healthy, he is a great and unique addition. as much as i like BJE, we must explore to see if we can draft a better option or get one in a trade or via free agency. BJE is going to want to get paid as a potential stud (he isnt). i will pay him top backup money. faulk speaks for himself. just having him around at least in pre-season makes us better. 

i like morris but its time to get younger (perhaps mcclain from ravens who is a free agent). warren is very good at an area wwe have lots of flaws and is hard to break in rooks. the matt light train has sailed. time to put a vollmer over there and either draft someone or put kaczur over at RT again since he is still under contract for a few more years. perhaps we could bring back graham but only for pre-season to see if grotkowski still has it after surgery.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : no prob.. glad someone else started this thread... who would you re-sign out of the pats' 2010 free agents and in what order of priority? 2010  CB Kyle Arrington  S Josh Barrett  RB Kevin Faulk  K Shayne Graham  RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis  OL Matt Light  OL Logan Mankins  S Brandon McGowan  RB Sammy Morris  OL Quinn Ojinnaka  S Jarrad Page  RB Fred Taylor  DL Gerard Warren  LB Tracy White  i hope we bring back mankins, warren, mcgowan, BJE and faulk in that order. with bodden uand us being obligated to wilhite and butler, no need for arrington. i like mcgowan. if healthy, he is a great and unique addition. as much as i like BJE, we must explore to see if we can draft a better option or get one in a trade or via free agency. BJE is going to want to get paid as a potential stud (he isnt). i will pay him top backup money. faulk speaks for himself. just having him around at least in pre-season makes us better. i like morris but its time to get younger (perhaps mcclain from ravens who is a free agent). warren is very good at an area wwe have lots of flaws and is hard to break in rooks. the matt light train has sailed. time to put a vollmer over there and either draft someone or put kaczur over at RT again since he is still under contract for a few more years. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

agree on the green ellis thoughts, and it's hard to say that because i have tons of respect for the progress that he has made...but if his "1,000 Yard Season" has over inflated his value then they might get better return on dollars spent elsewhere. even if they do retain him (which i hope they do at a reasobale price) i think most would agree they still need another productive and durable back to pair with him. and as much as i love kevin faulk, i am hoping he makes it easy on everyone and retires because IMO he has been wally pipped by danny woodhead. can they realistically carry both of them when only one can can fill that role?

IMO...mankins is the priority above all else, light i suppose would be dependant on what happens with mankins and the money he is seeking. i think gerard warren did a really good job for them and they could use him as another experienced guy up front who now knows the defense. the db's like arrington, mcgowan, and page are a tough call due to the numbers games at their positions.

on an unrelated side note, shayne graham did a nice job for them filling in for ghostkowski, but man will i be happy to have ghostkowski back. graham's lack of leg strength came back to haunt them in the jets game...they passed on a crucial 52 yard field goal attempt they wouldve tried with ghostkowski, and his short kickoffs killed us and consistently gave sanchez a rather short field to work with.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think Graham played admirably.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

CB Kyle Arrington 
    S Josh Barrett 
    RB Kevin Faulk 
    K Shayne Graham 
    RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis 
    OL Matt Light 
    OL Logan Mankins 
    S Brandon McGowan 
    RB Sammy Morris 
    OL Quinn Ojinnaka 
    S Jarrad Page 
    RB Fred Taylor 
    DL Gerard Warren 
    LB Tracy White 

Kyle Arrington I really liked...he played really well this season(his first year of play) I think he improves next year...he was all over everyone he covered and shows great closing speed...He's bigger, faster, and better than Butler, and now has more experience. Oh yeah he can tackle too!...If Bodden is 100% next year, McCourty, Bodden, Arrington is a great nickle package!  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

[QUOTE]I think Graham played admirably.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

i agree, i also said i thought he did a nice job overall since coming aboard. i am just saying that in the playoffs the difference between him and ghostkowski appeared to have been a small factor.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : agree on the green ellis thoughts, and it's hard to say that because i have tons of respect for the progress that he has made...but if his "1,000 Yard Season" has over inflated his value then they might get better return on dollars spent elsewhere. even if they do retain him (which i hope they do at a reasobale price) i think most would agree they still need another productive and durable back to pair with him. and as much as i love kevin faulk, i am hoping he makes it easy on everyone and retires because IMO he has been wally pipped by danny woodhead. can they realistically carry both of them when only one can can fill that role? IMO...mankins is the priority above all else, light i suppose would be dependant on what happens with mankins and the money he is seeking. i think gerard warren did a really good job for them and they could use him as another experienced guy up front who now knows the defense. the db's like arrington, mcgowan, and page are a tough call due to the numbers games at their positions. on an unrelated side note, shayne graham did a nice job for them filling in for ghostkowski, but man will i be happy to have ghostkowski back. graham's lack of leg strength came back to haunt them in the jets game...they passed on a crucial 52 yard field goal attempt they wouldve tried with ghostkowski, and his short kickoffs killed us and consistently gave sanchez a rather short field to work with.
    Posted by HOFFBURGER[/QUOTE]like most of your thoughts but.. a 52 yard FG they would have tried with gost? really.. did you watch the super bowl? in better conditions they passed on a similar attempt and went for it on fourth down if not mistaken. they likewise did not get it! bel is what he is. looking more at the consequences of missing it then who is kicking it. me thinks graham (as the 3rd most accurate in HISTORY) is a wash with gost specifically with kicking FGs.. however, the reason he was unemployed and will be again is that he STINKS kicking off. may as well put the ball on the 35 yard line everytime he kicks off... heck, even better in a clutch situation, just kick it out of bounds. only a 5 yard difference with the penalty.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

pats seriously need an explosive big/tall receiver as a double coverage deep threat. could be a braylon edwards, reggie bush (full time as a receiver/ not tall but..), torry holt type (too bad he got hurt in preseason), TO or even moss himself. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

@ COMMUNIST CONTRARIAN

"bel is what he is. looking more at the consequences of missing it then who is kicking it."

fair enough point, had not really thought of it from that perspective but i imagine you are right. maybe i was overstating due to te fact that gost has generally been pretty good kicking from 50+ in both his nfl and college career. and considering the situation, in the 4th needing points with the clock beginning to run low, facing a 4th and 13, i guess i just automatically assumed they would have given it a shot with gost. agree on the kickoffs, it didnt hurt us in the reg season really, but in that game the jets had really good position a few times...which IMO helped take some pressure off sanchez. gost consistly puts em in the back of the endzone.

anyway...tons of respect for graham he did do an admirable job all things considered. i dont think he missed a FG attempt all season actually.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : Not saying I agree nor disagree with this staement, just dont think the Pats are in a position to pull off a mass overhaul in free agency. If I am not mistaken, I believe they said during the broadcast this past weekend that the this season (with TFB's contract) that the Pats actually had the highest payroll. Toss in the fact that they cannot let 2 key offensive linemen walk and then wait around for new rookies develop, Mankins is in line for his payday and I hope they give it to them. We also have no idea how the labor situation plays out, the proposed rookie payscale, the new cap and franchise player tag rules etc. I know it's a pipe dream, but with the crop of young guys the last 2 drafts have yielded, I would love to see them get aggressive on draft and use those picks. Move up, or at least use all the high picks and start trading down and dealing away on day 2 for a change. It'd be sweet if BB turned this into a similar situation that Jimmy Johnson did in Dallas back he traded away Herscel Walker.
    Hi , not to mess with you but the Patriots were at $114 million dollar salary level after signing Tom Brady. The Cowboys buy comparision were at $!54 million which is insane. The Jets were not far behind the Cowboys at 145 million. The Pat's of course are paying for their stadium unlike the Jets. The Jets got tons of money via state and local plus sharing costs with the Giants. The Patriots got $75 million in highway and road improvements from the state. That was all they got.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PATS and AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS : I don't think they can sit in FA and act the same way as in the past, especially with the draft advantage that NE has. NY has proven a Yankees style model of pursuing talent in FA to beat NE. We have to counter back and get in the discussion on available players - if nothing else to drive up the costs on a player. The game has changed in the NFC East on how things are done. We've gotta start playing the same way.

we're in the AFC East, bro

Sections
Shortcuts