Pats & Gronk Want Week 1 Return

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Pats & Gronk Want Week 1 Return

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360744/article/rob-gronkowski-patriots-aiming-for-week-1-return

According to NFL Media's Albert Breer, the goal is for Gronkowski to be on the field for the season opener at Miami.

Gronkowski's rehab has been a lot smoother than last offseason's. The Patriots aren't going to take any risks, though. Gronkowski will spend a portion of the next month rehabbing near Foxboro.

It's possible that Gronk's knee will be ready for the start of training camp in late July, Breer reported on Friday's edition of NFL Total Access, but the Patriots won't do anything to jeopardize his chances of being ready for Week 1.

---------------------------

This is nice to hear. Gronk changes a lot, obviously, and getting him back quicker will quiet the talk of us being weak at TE.

The biggest question is... can he finally play a full, hopefully, 19 games?

If Gronk can stay healthy all season this offense will be top notch, even without Gronk I still believe this offense can be very effective though.

I just hope that he's 100% come January, that's when he's needed most

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Re: Pats & Gronk Want Week 1 Return

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360744/article/rob-gronkowski-patriots-aiming-for-week-1-return" rel="nofollow">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360744/article/rob-gronkowski-patriots-aiming-for-week-1-return

According to NFL Media's Albert Breer, the goal is for Gronkowski to be on the field for the season opener at Miami.

Gronkowski's rehab has been a lot smoother than last offseason's. The Patriots aren't going to take any risks, though. Gronkowski will spend a portion of the next month rehabbing near Foxboro.

It's possible that Gronk's knee will be ready for the start of training camp in late July, Breer reported on Friday's edition of NFL Total Access, but the Patriots won't do anything to jeopardize his chances of being ready for Week 1.

This is nice to hear. Gronk changes a lot, obviously, and getting him back quicker will quiet the talk of us being weak at TE.

The biggest question is... can he finally play a full, 

If Gronk can stay healthy all season this offense will be top notch, even without Gronk I still believe this offense can be very effective though.

[/QUOTE]

No NFL player is 100% come January .As of him being ready so soon that's great just nope he last and I would rather have him for playoffs then the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't want him back in week 1 or week 10, I don't care about those games. I'll say the same thing I said last year at this time. I don't care if he takes one single regular season snap. Put him on PUP and then deactivate him for every game through week 16. Fine with me, as long as he plays in the playoffs. They don't need him to get to the postseason, but they need him healthy when they get there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't want him back in week 1 or week 10, I don't care about those games. I'll say the same thing I said last year at this time. I don't care if he takes one single regular season snap. Put him on PUP and then deactivate him for every game through week 16. Fine with me, as long as he plays in the playoffs. They don't need him to get to the postseason, but they need him healthy when they get there.

[/QUOTE]

I like that plan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1000000

I'm almost positive I posted a thread about that exact statement back months ago and got laughed at. I'm so down for bubble wrapping Gronk for January, because let's face it, we will win the division without and could get the 1-seed without him too.

A healthy Gronk in January is what I pray for every night

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog: http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'd just like to see the guy healthy, period. He was healthy throughout his 1st 2 reg seasons ('10, '11).  I'm hoping he simply gets back.  And whatever it takes to keep him healthy for the playoffs is fine although I doubt we'd see BB keep him inactive for the reg season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360744/article/rob-gronkowski-patriots-aiming-for-week-1-return" rel="nofollow">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360744/article/rob-gronkowski-patriots-aiming-for-week-1-return

[/QUOTE]

even when Gronk gets back on the field, do you think the TE corp is better or worse vs. after AH departed?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

If he is deemed healthy/ready by the medical staff for game one then he should play.Football is a violent game whether it is week 1, 6, 10, 16 or the playoffs. He is a member of the team like Brady, Big Vince, Mayo, Revis etc… so he should be out there with the team as soon as he is medically cleared…. not one game before and not one game after.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Muzzy, I assume you are typing tongue in cheek, because Gronk, as great as he has been, is going to have a physical and mental challenge to get back where he was. He is going to need a number of games to be himself, and to think he will step on the field and be Gronk on day 1 is unrealistic

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree and I said the same thing last year. I wanted Gronk put in bubble wrap until the playoffs - of course you can't have football players doing that - but with Gronk he really is the difference we haven't had in our post seasons.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Muzzy, I assume you are typing tongue in cheek, because Gronk, as great as he has been, is going to have a physical and mental challenge to get back where he was. He is going to need a number of games to be himself, and to think he will step on the field and be Gronk on day 1 is unrealistic

[/QUOTE]

No, I'm 100% serious. I understand it's not realistic, and he will play at some point. Probably like last year, week 7 or 8 or so. But the regular season is meaningless, it really is. There's nothing to be gained by having him out there in week 1, not one single thing is positive about that. 

He can set every regular season record in history, 25 TDs and 2,000 yards, if he's not available in January, or he's a shell of himself, it's a failed season as far as I'm concerned. A waste.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from deebz. Show deebz's posts

Yes, we need him on the field for the whole season..he has scored 42 TDS in a blink of an eye..just a mis match anywhere he is on the field..We cannot continue to live on the underneath passing game without him..he creates so many other opportunities on the field..is it Football season yet? Certainly don't want to wish time away being that yesterday was the first day of summer

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The Pats need Gronk in the regular season too.  They still need to win enough games to get into the playoffs--and getting a bye and home field advantage is a huge advantage to going far in the playoffs.  Gronk's presence is important to achieving those goals. 

Then there are the issues rkarp brought up:  Gronk getting in game shape prior to the playoffs.  He won't be mentally or physically ready for the playoffs if he sits out all season. He also needs to be on the same page with his teammates.  Blocking with the O-linemen, timing with Brady, running crisp routes--all those things are refined with play.

And then half of Gronk's four major injuries occurred in the playoffs anyway (Baltimore in 2011, Texans in 2012), so holding him out until the playoffs may not help much.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

But Muz aren't you one who doesn't believe in injury prone? So what does it matter if he plays week 1 or not, isn't it just bad luck at that point isn't it? Sorry just had to toss that in.

Back on the topic at hand. It's good news but of course the Pats want him back asap, there is nothing else there at that position. They literally have nothing but an extra blocker right now. I hope Gronk gets back soon but not until he's ready. But, we will need him this season. They brought back pretty much the same O from last year with no good additions and the difference between with Gronk and without Gronk was night and day last year. With him a top 5 RZ team without him a bottom 1/3rd RZ team. It's a team sport but this O is going to hurt if it's the same one from last year without Gronk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

even when Gronk gets back on the field, do you think the TE corp is better or worse vs. after AH departed?

[/QUOTE]

It's clearly a different unit without AH.  I've said this multiple times, but I don't think the two-TE offense we used when we had Gronk and Hern will be used this season.  That depended on having two TEs who could catch the ball very well.  Hernandez was a very versatile player, almost as much a receiver as he was a TE.  That versatility is what made that particular offense work.  I thought it was a bit funny when sports journalists were writing in 2011 and 2012 that other teams were going to try to move to a similar two-TE offense.  You simply can't do that without two very good receiving TEs.  Tandems with the talents of Gronk and Hern are extremely rare, which makes such an offense almost impossible to run unless you are very lucky with the players you find.  (Once again, talent matters--it's not just a scheme that anyone can play.)

The first consideration when you look at this year's TEs is to assume we will generally have only one the field most plays (using two in short yardage situations maybe).  That means we only need one very good starter and one decent back-up.  Gronk gives us the good starter as long as he's healthy and the knee injury hasn't permanently affected his speed.  So really, all we need is a good back-up for Gronk, who can replace him if he's hurt and can also come in when we need two TEs in short yardage--a Christian Fauria type. I don't think we have a clear Fauria type, but Hoomanawanui will do in a pinch and maybe someone else emerges (from the current crop or outside the team) to be that second guy.  We may keep three TEs, but really we just need two now, Gronk and Gronk's second. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd just like to see the guy healthy, period. He was healthy throughout his 1st 2 reg seasons ('10, '11).  I'm hoping he simply gets back.  And whatever it takes to keep him healthy for the playoffs is fine although I doubt we'd see BB keep him inactive for the reg season.

[/QUOTE]
    +1

ATJ.. why is it most folks forget this fact?  His ankle injury was the result of that twisting tackle made by Pollard.  His broken arm injury was freakish and due to an infection failed to heal properly.  His knee injury was the result of a hit.  Unlike some players who seem to get injured just running on the field, Gronk does not get injured in such non-contact fashion.   He'll be back with a vengeance.

[object HTMLDivElement]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    +1

ATJ.. why is it most folks forget this fact?  His ankle injury was the result of that twisting tackle made by Pollard.  His broken arm injury was freakish and due to an infection failed to heal properly.  His knee injury was the result of a hit.  Unlike some players who seem to get injured just running on the field, Gronk does not get injured in such non-contact fashion.   He'll be back with a vengeance.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

In the end does it matter how they are injured or that they are just injured? That he keeps getting injured (maybe due to playing style?) is an indication that he might continue to get injured in the future. If you have an engine that can't turn over time and time again and you just need to get somewhere do you really care if it's a clog fuel filter or a bad battery? Of course not, you just care that it works.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would like to see him adjust his playing style, mainly how he is in the open field. I know this is very difficult to do, but it can be done.  It's a natural thing to try to stay on your feet and use your athleticism as well, but it wouldn't hurt for him to be a bit more conservative as well.

Troy Brown used to catch the ball and brace for hits like he practiced going to the ground to absorb the hit, so to speak. Branch was very good at this, too.

It's a skill and an art form and I think Gronk should pick his spots better.  His ACL tear was really more bad luck from a cheap shot from Ward, but I'd like to see him be a bit more careful with the use of his body in the open field.

And, no one jump in here and tell me that wasn't a cheapshot by Ward. It was. It was a textbook lunge at the knee like a missile, similarly to what Pollard did to Brady. It was absolutely pre-meditated and intentional.

I would love nothing more than for Mankins to pull in the game vs Denver this year at Gillette and go looking for Ward, taking him out.

I am tired of players taking liberties with our players all the time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Absolutely it was a cheap shot and I'd like to see him get his, especially now that he's on a team that matters. 

Back to Gronk, no I don't believe in any "injury prone" baloney. He's had rotten luck to get hurt near the end of the season. 

The regular season is a formality, mail it in. Don't care if they finish 9-7, 8-8 or 16-0. It doesn't mean a single thing. They're already in the playoffs, mark it down. If it was up to me, in all seriousness, Gronk wouldn't see an NFL field until maybe week 15. Timing, shmiming, they'll figure it out. He's the single best and most important player, non-QB category, on any offense in the NFL, period. If he was healthy against the NYG, they win that SB. If he was healthy last year, they're in the SB. 

He means to the Patriots offense what Lebron James means to the Heat. He's more important than the QB on this team, the way they're built. If he isn't in there, they have very little chance of winning a championship, period.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'm honestly more worried about where his head is at than where his body is at.  I don't doubt at all he can make a full recovery physically, but mentally he may be very gun shy.  The guy has sustained some horrible injuries and bad luck the last couple years, we all saw how he basically played the game with one arm trying to shield it when it was supposedly healed and he was cleared to play.  Can he return to his old wrecking ball on fire self?  Only time will tell. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I

I would like to see him adjust his playing style, mainly how he is in the open field. I know this is very difficult to do, but it can be done.  It's a natural thing to try to stay on your feet and use your athleticism as well, but it wouldn't hurt for him to be a bit more conservative as well.

Troy Brown used to catch the ball and brace for hits like he practiced going to the ground to absorb the hit, so to speak. Branch was very good at this, too.

It's a skill and an art form and I think Gronk should pick his spots better.  His ACL tear was really more bad luck from a cheap shot from Ward, but I'd like to see him be a bit more careful with the use of his body in the open field.

And, no one jump in here and tell me that wasn't a cheapshot by Ward. It was. It was a textbook lunge at the knee like a missile, similarly to what Pollard did to Brady. It was absolutely pre-meditated and intentional.

I would love nothing more than for Mankins to pull in the game vs Denver this year at Gillette and go looking for Ward, taking him out.

I am tired of players taking liberties with our players all the time.

[/QUOTE]

I think part of his problem is his "style" to be honest. Too me he is a "high cut" athlete, which means he is all limbs, especially the length of his legs to his hips. He also runs very upright - I see other guys his size running much more compact, but with gronk all you see is this long limbed monster barreling over people (which is great when he is healthy). I think Chandler Jones has a bit of this problem too - the long limbs - different positions obviously, but everytime I see Chandler near or underneath a pile I cringe. I understand people in the NFL are tall, but these two seem to be all legs and ankles, where some others have more of that height in their torso.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

If that last hit on Gronk was a legal hit then it's just a matter of time till that leg is reinjured. The players know they just bump off him when they hit him in the midsection and take a beating when they do that so they're all just gonna go low.. I'm shocked they just seem to be ignoring the need for a good backup pass catching TE.. Damn without Gronk they have left Brady hanging without another big target., just seems totally foolish but I guess It is what it is..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

No, I'm 100% serious. I understand it's not realistic, and he will play at some point. Probably like last year, week 7 or 8 or so. But the regular season is meaningless, it really is. There's nothing to be gained by having him out there in week 1, not one single thing is positive about that. 

He can set every regular season record in history, 25 TDs and 2,000 yards, if he's not available in January, or he's a shell of himself, it's a failed season as far as I'm concerned. A waste.

[/QUOTE]

I get what you are saying but that's kind of comical.  Wouldn't it just be better to play him game 1 and dominate the league and steam roll through the playoffs and Superbowl and be prepared with a quality back up just in case he goes down again?  That would be much better, imo.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I get what you are saying but that's kind of comical.  Wouldn't it just be better to play him game 1 and dominate the league and steam roll through the playoffs and Superbowl and be prepared with a quality back up just in case he goes down again?  That would be much better, imo.

Did the Heat have a backup for Lebron?

If Peyton Manning gets hurt, the Broncos season is over, isn't it? Yeah, there's a backup and they'll keep playing they games and say all the right things, but they have zero chance.

If Big Papi got hurt and missed the playoffs last year, do the Red Sox have a prayer of even getting past the Rays with his backup? Who, Carp? 

It's pretty much the same thing with Gronk. Some guys there's no backup that means a damn thing. What's "comical" about that? It's fact. The regular season is for show and for fantasy football and for making money, it means nothing in the end to a team like that Pats (or the Broncos, or the Heat or any serious contender in any sport).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Did the Heat have a backup for Lebron?

If Peyton Manning gets hurt, the Broncos season is over, isn't it? Yeah, there's a backup and they'll keep playing they games and say all the right things, but they have zero chance.

If Big Papi got hurt and missed the playoffs last year, do the Red Sox have a prayer of even getting past the Rays with his backup? Who, Carp? 

It's pretty much the same thing with Gronk. Some guys there's no backup that means a damn thing. What's "comical" about that? It's fact. The regular season is for show and for fantasy football and for making money, it means nothing in the end to a team like that Pats (or the Broncos, or the Heat or any serious contender in any sport).

Comparing Gronk to Manning, Lebron?? Without them those teams win nothing.  Without Gronk this team still wins. 

By your comments how about this... Once the Pats get enough wins to make the playoffs then lets just pull TFB and save him for the playoffs.  Better yet, how about pull the entire 1st teams and save them for the playoffs.  What do you think?  After 10 wins or 11 wins?

Remember last season, everyone was all over Gronk for not coming back sooner. 

Yeah, this team is better off with Gronk in the playoffs but to hold him out like that, come on.  I just don't agree with that at all.

Why not just have a good, legit backup!?!?!?!