Pats and superbowl wins and losses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Pats and superbowl wins and losses

I have been reading about all the changes needed for the Pats to win another super bowl and I just want to say one thing.
    Most competitive super bowls - ones that come down to a single score - depend on luck and not great planning or brilliant coaching.
    Loss to the Giants #1 - miracle catch against very good defense, and 1 missed sack/qb escape
    Loss to Giants #2 - missed catch/poor throw and a bouncing ball recovered by the winning team
    Win against Rams - tackle at the 1 foot line.
    I don't remember the plays in the other two wins well enough to name specific palys there.
    The Pats could as easily have been 5-0 or 2-3 in SBs and it really wasn't that the defense/offense wasn't good enough or was great - it was the luck of the game. Getting to the SB usually takes a few moments of luck in itself - tuck rule anyone, or a droped TD pass last year! With that the record could stand at 1-2 or 1-3.
    All I am saying is that the Pats have been a good enough team in the last two SB losses to have won the games. Very few teams are prefect - you would love to have the #1 offense and #1 defense and crush everyone - but in the modern era that just doesn't happen. NE has had a top 5 offense for years and the defense has been OK mostly. The Ravens have had a top 5 defense and the offense has been OK. The Giants have gotten HOT twice in the last five years in the playoffs and been lucky as well. Good for them!
    But to say the Pats were not 'good enough' to win is to ignore the football gods that put luck on one side of the field in tight games.
    OK - said my piece - lets scrap the NE formula and start from scratch!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Re: Pats and superbowl wins and losses

did we get to expunge the Bears and packers?

your memory is a bit fuzzy on the rams, as well

what formula should we use?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

In response to pauldeba's comment:

That tackle you mentioned won the Rams SB34 against the Titans. Sorry SB36 was a 46 yard fg for the win against the Rams. Wow, that really was condecending, didn't mean to come off that way!KMc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In general, I agree, though I think the Giants have presented a unique challenge for us because their defensive front seven really dominates our offensive line.  Eli has been able to exploit our pass coverage deficiencies, but so have many quarterbacks (even Dan f'n Orlovsky looked great against our pass coverage last year!).  The real problem the Pats have faced over the past few years is that teams that can dominate at the LOS on defense can really shut our explosive offense down. I think offensive line play has been a bigger factor in some of the losses than most people realize.  If the offensive line loses their battles, we can't pass or run.  And once the offense is shut down, we have trouble winning because the defense is prone to giving up quick scores at any time and can't seem to prevent the big plays in the second half.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to NESportnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pauldeba's comment:

That tackle you mentioned won the Rams SB34 against the Titans. Sorry SB36 was a 46 yard fg for the win against the Rams. Wow, that really was condecending, didn't mean to come off that way!KMc.

[/QUOTE]
    Woops!!! I guess my memory really is failing - but the general idea is the same. It takes a certain amount of luck and good breaks for most teams to win a SB, and the losing team is not generally deficient, just on the wrong side of those plays.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

All 3 wins were similar.  A few plays on offense or defense at the end that got the job done.  Both losses were also similar, a few plays on offense or defense that did NOT get the job done.  Very consistent play by the Patriots, if we lost numbers 2 and 4 but won numbers 1,3, and 5 we would probably be happy.  Winning the first three and then losing the last two left us feeling bad, but the truth is they were tough contests and we could have won or lost ANY of them based on 2 or 3 plays.  We were/are neither invincible nor hopeless.   

7. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts