Pats are close on a deal with a WR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Pats are close on a deal with a WR

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

What I just realized is that it doesn't matter who you sign as a free agent; what matters is how quickly you sign them.  Apparently there are bonus points tacked onto the scoreboard if you sign free agents within the first 90 seconds of the free agency period. Got it.  Thanks guys.

I like your sarcasm but the quality of players tends to decrese the longer you go into FA. The top quality players are usually the first off the board because they are desired. The lower quality other teams don't want tend to stick around for a while because no one wants them

I do get this; really I do.  That said a sense of urgency is one thing but it almost seems that there's a sense of panic on this forum because BB hasn't signed anyone yet.  I'm in the wait and see camp.  Perhaps in the minority but that's my preference.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

Just ba11 busting man, no worries. Manti Te'o time in Baltimore!

No worries.  Would be funny if that happened given this: http://fauxjohnmadden.lockerdome.com/media/106500194

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

What I just realized is that it doesn't matter who you sign as a free agent; what matters is how quickly you sign them.  Apparently there are bonus points tacked onto the scoreboard if you sign free agents within the first 90 seconds of the free agency period. Got it.  Thanks guys.

I like your sarcasm but the quality of players tends to decrese the longer you go into FA. The top quality players are usually the first off the board because they are desired. The lower quality other teams don't want tend to stick around for a while because no one wants them

I do get this; really I do.  That said a sense of urgency is one thing but it almost seems that there's a sense of panic on this forum because BB hasn't signed anyone yet.  I'm in the wait and see camp.  Perhaps in the minority but that's my preference.

If they resigned a couple of their players back by this point I'd be more relaxed and not care so much but looking at the market and reports they are taking hard stands like in 06' and 08' with their FA's makes me cringe realizing they might be misplaying the market again and be left with more holes then draft picks and a bunch of mid teir players other teams don't want. I mean for instance there is already talk Cribbs would replace Welker. Are you kidding me? Cribbs can barely replace Edelman let alone Welker. If they have the 9th most cap space and come away with the lot of WR's and CB's they did like last year I'll be pissed beyond belief

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I agree and let me just make my case since I did start this thread. I am also in the wait and see camp and I dont NEED to see anyone signed now, Im more just dissapointed that there is even mention of bringing in a stallworth thats all. We dont have to break any banks, but when you are bringing back stallworth, It doesnt really give that warm, tingly feeling inside, ya know!  It tells me they still arent serious about Brady real help and will probably resign Wes and we have the same predictable offense...  just my take

Im not concerned cuz all the defenders I like are still out there but I am concerned about what their WR plans may be. After hearing Jennings is not getting offers I would jump on that and use that against him

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Im not concerned cuz all the defenders I like are still out there but I am concerned about what their WR plans may be. After hearing Jennings is not getting offers I would jump on that and use that against him

I've read Jennings got an offer at 10 million per from the Packers and rejected it.  I don't think he is in our price range.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I've read Jennings got an offer at 10 million per from the Packers and rejected it.  I don't think he is in our price range.

Wow..Ok, well he is gonna have to come down from that perch soon. I mean he is isnt old, but he isnt that young. I would do him like Wes. IF his own team aint gonna pay him 10, why should anyone else? I would give him a call in a couple weeks and see if he has changed his stance yet. Ultimately he will likely end up lowering his demands and staying in GB though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

Ravens just dumped Bernard Pollard, does BB go after him  HAHA

I would be JUMPING UP AND DOWN if we landed Pollard!!! It would be a GREAT pick up. I would go after him, the cut Eagles corner on the cheap, sign Talib, and Ed Reed as well. No i'm not kidding!!! Bring in the hard hitting verterans. Exactly what this team needs!

Well considering that half of this board was complaining that we never get guys like him, I would expect many would be in favor, even if he is and always has been a journeyman.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I would be JUMPING UP AND DOWN if we landed Pollard!!! It would be a GREAT pick up. I would go after him, the cut Eagles corner on the cheap, sign Talib, and Ed Reed as well. No i'm not kidding!!! Bring in the hard hitting verterans. Exactly what this team needs!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

"the problem with management".  

It should be crystal clear that "management" has been doing a superb job over the last 10+ years, better than any other NFL team, so they probably know EXACTLY what they are doing in this FA frenzy.  

Less than a handfull of posters on this board (and not the ones saying "my sources" or "I heard") can even begin to comprehend the complexity, strategy and implications required to build and sustain a high quality NFL team.  

Relax and embrace their FA moves or lack there-of.  They are simply executing their plan.   

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

If they resigned a couple of their players back by this point I'd be more relaxed and not care so much but looking at the market and reports they are taking hard stands like in 06' and 08' with their FA's makes me cringe realizing they might be misplaying the market again and be left with more holes then draft picks and a bunch of mid teir players other teams don't want. I mean for instance there is already talk Cribbs would replace Welker. Are you kidding me? Cribbs can barely replace Edelman let alone Welker. If they have the 9th most cap space and come away with the lot of WR's and CB's they did like last year I'll be pissed beyond belief

Surprised you, of all people, have become so unglued so soon in FA.  Your usually very even keeled and calm.

It's because I see the same pattern I saw in 06' and 08' and the same decisions that lead to the wonderful 12' WR and CB core coming out of camp. I don't need them to sign a big name FA right away or spend a ton of cash but how about signing your own guys or at least adding pieces while everyone is fighting over the big name. That was one thing BB was really good about, signing depth pieces to low end contracts before their prices rised once the big names were of the list. If there were even reports about certain players visiting the Pats instead of hearing reports from players like Reed that the Pats haven't even contacted him I'd be less worried. Also if we had more picks or less holes to fill with starters or weren't so close I wouldn't be so nervous but I have a strange feeling we are seeing the 12' offseason, the 06 offseason, and the 08' offseason remix. Take a hard stance with our FA's, let them walk, fill the team with the left over mid teir FA's no one wants and hope that one sticks. Don't forget for every Carter there was an Ellis and for every Woodhead there was an Addai. In the end none provided that extra amount of talent to get us over that hump and to win the SB because they are good but not great talents and they get large 1 yr deals that bring us to the cap but never quite get us to where we need to be. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Because management may know more about "our guys" than you do, and/or "our guys" are asking for more than they are worth.  Again, despite your disappointment with several years of management moves / non-moves, no other team since the turn of the century has consistently sustained such a highly competitive team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Because management may know more about "our guys" than you do, and/or "our guys" are asking for more than they are worth.  Again, despite your disappointment with several years of management moves / non-moves, no other team since the turn of the century has consistently sustained such a highly competitive team.

I sure they do but how long, how many draft picks, and how much money did they spend trying to replace Branch, Samuel, Seymour, Law, Dillion. They aren't perfect by any means and there is always room for improvement. How they handle FA and some of their own players I think has a lot of room for improvement. Think about the problems with the team since 05' really and the quick fixes they had in place and if they would have been nessecary if they keep a couple guys, or didn't try to replace them with the typical mid teir "low risk high reward" players. This team is always a couple pieces away and usually those pieces can be found in the open market if they were willing to spend $8mil on one player in their prime instead of 3 aging vets or high talent busts $2.66mil a piece hoping one gives you what the $8mil will give you for less

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

It's because I see the same pattern I saw in 06' and 08' and the same decisions that lead to the wonderful 12' WR and CB core coming out of camp. I don't need them to sign a big name FA right away or spend a ton of cash but how about signing your own guys or at least adding pieces while everyone is fighting over the big name. That was one thing BB was really good about, signing depth pieces to low end contracts before their prices rised once the big names were of the list. If there were even reports about certain players visiting the Pats instead of hearing reports from players like Reed that the Pats haven't even contacted him I'd be less worried. Also if we had more picks or less holes to fill with starters or weren't so close I wouldn't be so nervous but I have a strange feeling we are seeing the 12' offseason, the 06 offseason, and the 08' offseason remix. Take a hard stance with our FA's, let them walk, fill the team with the left over mid teir FA's no one wants and hope that one sticks. Don't forget for every Carter there was an Ellis and for every Woodhead there was an Addai. In the end none provided that extra amount of talent to get us over that hump and to win the SB because they are good but not great talents and they get large 1 yr deals that bring us to the cap but never quite get us to where we need to be. 

This is really close to how I feel.

The passive approach that we've seen BB exhibit in past FA periods works well when trying to sign players to provide depth. I just am not convinced it is the best way to upgrade starter spots. I am not saying they should have played yesterday (and overpay). I am hoping they play today.

As mentioned last night on a post I made on the draft thread, this year is different becasue unlike in past drafts, the Pats have a few picks this year. In other words, if they miss out during FA, they do not have a lot of ammo in the draft, to compensate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Because agreeing to an expensive contract with a "prime" player can have disasterous results if they do not perform or if they get injured which seems to happen more often than not.  And any gamble is just that, sometimes it works out (Moss and Dillon) and sometimes it doesn't (Occho and Fat Albert) and sometimes they just do not perform to value (Lloyd).  I think it best to build quality depth at position and across positions, instead of exposure with single superstars and no depth insurance. You can't have it both ways. and comparitively, the Patriots way works better as proven by results.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Because agreeing to an expensive contract with a "prime" player can have disasterous results if they do not perform or if they get injured which seems to happen more often than not.  And any gamble is just that, sometimes it works out (Moss and Dillon) and sometimes it doesn't (Occho and Fat Albert) and sometimes they just do not perform to value (Lloyd).  I think it best to build quality depth at position and across positions, instead of exposure with single superstars and no depth insurance. 

If you upgrade the starting spot, your current starters provide depth... higher quality depth.

As I said, I don't mind that they did not play yesterday becasue they probably would have had to overpay. I just hope they don't wait 'til all that's available are the Ochos and Alberts. I believe they did not wait too long when they signed Moss and Dillon. 

What I think is happening is that BB is making a bet this year's FA is deep enough that eventually teams will run out of cap space to sign all available players at the current asking prices. He's anticipating that there will be a few quality FAs still available when the demand thins out and prices come down. Man, I hope he's that smart.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I agree and this may be true but I have to ask you one question out of curiosity. Do you think this same philosophy works if we dont have Tom Brady?? Its nice to be competitive every year but lets be real. The reason is NOT because of the genius free agent moves and draft picks. Its because we play in a weak division and our QB can get us 12 wins in his sleep despite the bad defense we have and when the postseason comes, he cant do it all under pressure against the more elite teams. So I do agree, but you cant have that philosophy with Mark Sanchez and thats why its silly to compare their signings and cap situation to ours and why most of the board is split in 2. The side that knows Brady carries this team and only fails in playoff due to not having a defense and those that think our defense is fine and Brady is just a choke artist. Where do you stand?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Because agreeing to an expensive contract with a "prime" player can have disasterous results if they do not perform or if they get injured which seems to happen more often than not.  And any gamble is just that, sometimes it works out (Moss and Dillon) and sometimes it doesn't (Occho and Fat Albert) and sometimes they just do not perform to value (Lloyd).  I think it best to build quality depth at position and across positions, instead of exposure with single superstars and no depth insurance. You can't have it both ways. and comparitively, the Patriots way works better as proven by results.

And signing a bunch of mid teir guys who get cut or provide nothing on the field is just as costly and just as bad.

Dead money Fanene is costing last year and this year, Bodden cost money, Gallery cost money, Shia cost money. How many draft picks have they spent on CB trying to replace A$ and how many crappy mid teir FA's have they paid trying to fix the secondary? Does it really materr if they waste the money on one guy or 12? In the end it's still wasted but at least with the one guy you have a higher chance on hitting. The trick is to only do that with 1 maybe 2 players at most a year not go on giant spending sprees. There is a happy compramise between buying in bulk and only buying top shelf. You can have both

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

<Do you think this same philosophy works if we dont have Tom Brady??>

The only comparative data we have is Matt Cassel and a 12-5 season.  i don't know about Sanchez, but the data would indicate that it does work without Brady. Most probably not as well, however.  KC with Casel sure didn't work out well.  

< 2. The side that knows Brady carries this team and only fails in playoff due to not having a defense and those that think our defense is fine and Brady is just a choke artist. Where do you stand? >  

I am on neither side. We out played the Giants and both SB games could have gone either way. We have had the players and teams to have won it all, just about every year.  Doesn't mean you do. Injuries, one bad ref call, one lucky catch or drop... anything can happen.  The key is that we are always there to give us a chance to win and that is the objective in building a team.     

Cassel ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

And signing a bunch of mid teir guys who get cut or provide nothing on the field is just as costly and just as bad.

Dead money Fanene is costing last year and this year, Bodden cost money, Gallery cost money, Shia cost money. How many draft picks have they spent on CB trying to replace A$ and how many crappy mid teir FA's have they paid trying to fix the secondary? Does it really materr if they waste the money on one guy or 12? In the end it's still wasted but at least with the one guy you have a higher chance on hitting. The trick is to only do that with 1 maybe 2 players at most a year not go on giant spending sprees. There is a happy compramise between buying in bulk and only buying top shelf. You can have both

I agree that u dont have to jump in every year and get a Mario Williams because he was a bust and if he gets hurt, you are in trouble, but the last few years with us being in position to do something I thought there were very weak signings considering Brady getting up there. I mean are we still gonna be brining in gaffney,branch, stallworth when Brady is 40! Time to move on and bring in some real young talent and if they cant get the offense , Time to change the philosophy! We are the only team with a HOF Qb that gives him sh*t every year for recieving options. Its nice he has two nice TE's and they signed Hoo-man and have Ballard but really, No REAL Outside threat?? Lets play the 4 TE set now...lol 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

<Do you think this same philosophy works if we dont have Tom Brady??>

The only comparative data we have is Matt Cassel and a 12-5 season.  i don't know about Sanchez, but the data would indicate that it does work without Brady. Most probably not as well, however.  KC with Casel sure didn't work out well.  

< 2. The side that knows Brady carries this team and only fails in playoff due to not having a defense and those that think our defense is fine and Brady is just a choke artist. Where do you stand? >  

I am on neither side. We out played the Giants and both SB games could have gone either way. We have had the players and teams to have won it all, just about every year.  Doesn't mean you do. Injuries, one bad ref call, one lucky catch or drop... anything can happen.  The key is that we are always there to give us a chance to win and that is the objective in building a team.     

Cassel ?

are u serious?? Thats one year and we didnt make the playoff on a soft schedule. You in line to be a politician?? Because you danced all around that one but oh well. I know where I stand. Cassel btw atleast had the advantage of playing with a Moss who was still good. Had Rodney back there playing safety still, and a few of the SB defenders of the old Dynasty.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

Ravens just dumped Bernard Pollard, does BB go after him  HAHA

and lock him in a trunk permenantly

:)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I might have missed something but didn't they win the SB last year?

Yeah they did.  That is the  point.  You said SB winning teams don't sit around in FA.  Well the Ravens sure as hell are.  Half of their defense just walked.

Yes and the year before they added players. SF is adding players this year. Giants added players their SB years. Pitt added players. You don't need to go crazy with money but if you want to get over the hump and win a SB you need to add quality not a bunch of depth players you hope one might give you starting reps

ive been saying that without reply for a while

Sections
Shortcuts