Pats are losers of the draft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Pats are losers of the draft?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6451752

2. New England Patriots: The Patriots entered the draft with six picks in the first three rounds, but they made a few moves too many. They have a plan every year to load up on first- and second-round picks for the future, but this was the year to cash in. My one criticism is that they didn't get a pass-rusher. Had they drafted Jabaal Sheard, a defensive end from Pitt, or Brooks Reed, a linebacker from Arizona, I'd make them my big winners. They added three Pro Bowl defenders in the first three rounds of the four drafts previous to this, but this year they needed a pass-rusher. According to ESPN Stats & Information, opposing quarterbacks had a 103.2 passer rating when the Pats sent five or more pass-rushers. That's third worst in the league. They added a nice tackle in Nate Solder. Ras-I Dowling is an intriguing corner. Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley are role-playing running backs. Mallett is a bargaining chip for the future. But they didn't get that pass-rusher. Instead, they worked deals that allowed the Saints to get a pass-rusher, Cameron Jordan, and running back Mark Ingram. They let the Jets get maybe the next Trevor Pryce in Muhammad Wilkerson. Sure, the Pats got an extra first- and second-round picks next year, but they need to take care of current business.

How things change......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Pats are losers of the draft?

but they ended up with Chandler Jones and Donte Hightower. Which would you rather have them or Jabbal Sheard? I will agree that Ras -IR was a busted pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

but they ended up with Chandler Jones and Donte Hightower. Which would you rather have them or Jabbal Sheard? I will agree that Ras -IR was a busted pick.

[/QUOTE]

Too soon to say Dowling was a bust. IR both firsrt two seasons. Showed some promise and some bad play this year. I agree he is at least a disappointment so far. But I give him at least one more year - or at least a preseason to make the team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

These are two different drafts. Sheard/Ras-I was 2011, Jones/Hightower 2012.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

These are two different drafts. Sheard/Ras-I was 2011, Jones/Hightower 2012.

[/QUOTE]

yes but the picks we traded out of are what brought Jones and Hightower the following year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Imagine how good Ras-I could be in BB newly improved secondary. I am giving him at least one more year. Hightower and Jones seem like th type of players too cement this defense for the next 5-6 years. 

People complain about our drafts like we haven't picked up more pro-bowlers, new superstars and all around great football playerThy ham every other team in the league.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Trading up tends to be the exception with BB. Let's evaluate two players after one season. Hightower could be the man given time, Jones has had some tough breaks and the Pats still won't go 9-7.

Curious to see what Upshaw will do in Baltimore. Haven't seen the boxscores lately.

Gruden is the John Bon Jovi of malaprops.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Ras-I over Akeem Ayers or Brooks Reed remains a terrible move. So was Vareen over Justin Houston, Torrey Smith, Mikel leShoure, DeMarco Murray....

The trade of pick 60 to move down 12 spots and get a 5th rd pick also seemed pointless considering the talent passed by in the 2nd.

Had BB really dominated this draft he would have done something like:

Ayers, Torrey Smith and Houstin. Then taken Mallet and hoped Ridley was there at the end of the 3rd (most assumed he would have been, he was a rd 4/5 guy going in)

or taken Reed and LeShoure and then traded around with the other pick...

It was a B draft overall... but with two 2nd rd picks doing nothing so far in their careers and all the trading down really hurt a team so close to the SB.

But not as much as not signing Goldson WHEN HE WAS IN TOWN ON A VISIT, YOU HAD THE CASH AND HAD JUST CUT TWO SAFETIES

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ras-I over Akeem Ayers or Brooks Reed remains a terrible move. So was Vareen over Justin Houston, Torrey Smith, Mikel leShoure, DeMarco Murray....

The trade of pick 60 to move down 12 spots and get a 5th rd pick also seemed pointless considering the talent passed by in the 2nd.

Ayers, Torrey Smith and Houstin. Then taken Mallet and hoped Ridley was there at the end of the 3rd (most assumed he would have been, he was a rd 4/5 guy going in)

It was a B draft overall... but with two 2nd rd picks doing nothing so far in their careers and all the trading down really hurt a team so close to the SB.

But not as much as not signing Goldson WHEN HE WAS IN TOWN ON A VISIT, YOU HAD THE CASH AND HAD JUST CUT TWO SAFETIES

[/QUOTE]

Damn, it's too bad BB forgot to look into the future before the draft.

The draft is a crapshoot, man.  Everybody has their hits and misses but here in NE, we like to highlight the misses and coulda/woulda/shouldas.  Let's just be thankful we have BB running the show and he continues to put our team in a position to win it all each and every season over the past decade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Damn, it's too bad BB forgot to look into the future before the draft.

The draft is a crapshoot, man.  Everybody has their hits and misses but here in NE, we like to highlight the misses and coulda/woulda/shouldas.  Let's just be thankful we have BB running the show and he continues to put our team in a position to win it all each and every season over the past decade.

[/QUOTE]

He's our resident hindsight expert.  He never knows what to do before the draft, only after.  In fact during the draft he didn't even show up to the board.  Spent all last year telling us what he would have done but when it came time to put his money where his mouth is he disapeared. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Mark Ingram? Didn't he win a Heisman? Oh the guy that is leading the league with 510 yards this season. LOL

Poor Ridley only has 1105 yards, but needs to hod on to the ball better.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/rushingYards/year/2012/seasontype/2

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

on point as usual rame!

"it was a B draft overall... but with two 2nd rd picks doing nothing so far in their careers and all the trading down really hurt a team so close to the SB."

what i say prredraft last few years.

tradign down jsut to play teh "mastermind" that i could do it, instead of takign the value right in front of you. hopefully he doesnt return to this form.

"But not as much as not signing Goldson WHEN HE WAS IN TOWN ON A VISIT, YOU HAD THE CASH AND HAD JUST CUT TWO SAFETIES"

brutal move. almost hope goldson jsut was using us to get a good offer ffrom sf and that he really wantred to live in sf (otherwise its a bit painful)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I hope the Pats will spring for a couple of kickers. Mesko is ranked 32nd in the league with a 38.1 net average and I'm not sure that Gostkowski has ever kicked a clutch field goal. Besides that many of his kickoffs are returned cause they're not deep enough

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

38.1 because he's always punting at mid field and getting touch backs..... that is a skewed number.  He's probably got a top 10 boot when he needs too. That's why they drafted him in the 4th. 

Gost actually helped them win today... C;mon man....  He hasn't had a stellar year by any means but there's not too much better out there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Comparing one team's draft with the absolute cream of the other 31 teams' drafts isn't fair.  "Penalty, 5 yards, 31 men on the field."

Solder has been worth a #16 pick.  He's ok so far.

Dowling keeps getting injured.  Except for that he'd be ok.  It's sometimes hard to predict who gets injured, except when hobbit defensive backs are drafted.  Dowling was of pretty good size.

Vereen was ok but Ridley was a plus.

Mallett is BB's only backup QB so he's a plus as a late third rounder.

Marcus Cannon is a plus as a fifth rounder.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

38.1 because he's always punting at mid field and getting touch backs..... that is a skewed number.  He's probably got a top 10 boot when he needs too. That's why they drafted him in the 4th. 

Gost actually helped them win today... C;mon man....  He hasn't had a stellar year by any means but there's not too much better out there.

[/QUOTE] Actually I don't see any reason why competition for these 2 jobs wouldn't be a healthy off-season activity. I'd also like to get a look at a couple of decent kickoff and punt returners.

Sections
Shortcuts