Pats are missing this ONE PIECE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: Pats are missing this ONE PIECE?

In Response to Re: Pats are missing this ONE PIECE?:
    [QUOTE]A few years back there was a thread about how FBs are a dead position. I disagreed.  Nice to see this thread running.  NE needs a true FB who can catch, is about 240+ pounds and can block like a jackhammer. It would add a dimension to the offense, like two back sets, that just can't work as well with the current personell.  I really hope Kettani can get up to speed.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

it's not that the FB position is dead

it's just that if they're playing FB, they better bring versatility to justify their roster spot

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

The offense has been doing just fine the past two years without Heath Evans. They need someone who can get at the other teams quarterback when it's not garbage time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

On several plays in the Chargers game, the Pats initially lined Gronk up in a FB position, then shifted him to TE before the snap.  I didn't notice if they ever actually ran a play with Gronk acting more as a FB than TE.  

I think having a FB on some plays is a nice option, but that kind of power run is used so rarely, I think BB now tries to use players from other positions (OL, DL, or TE) as a FB when he wants one rather than devoting a whole roster slot to the position. The downside is that a truly good FB is not only good at blocking, but also is adept at picking the right holes so he leads the RB to the right spot.  Guys who don't play FB regularly sometimes have trouble figuring out what hole to hit unless the play is designed for a specific hole so there's no choice. I remember BB praising Patrick Pass for being a guy who really knew how to read what was happening and choose the right hole so the RB had the best chance of making a gain. BB said that if the FB wasn't good at reading plays and picked the wrong hole, the RB was either going to have to run through the wrong hole too or run through the right hole without a blocker.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

[QUOTE]A brusing fullback is without a doubt not the one piece that is missing. Somebody on D that is a sheer terror which the other team must account for and fear on every play would be nice.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

this is one recent post by bab(e) that I actually agree with... if we had a nasty defensive player say like julius peppers...i would clearly put us over the top on D

for fullbacks... bill will use dudes like dane flethcher...dan gronkowski...etc etc..
    I dont think ridley is big enough...but i do think you will see ridley alot more as season goes on as he seems to have an elusiveness and hits the hole quick

the 49ers when on their prolific run after bill walsh drafted ronnie lot and inserted another safety into their lineup(dont remember name- someone will) once these two jelled defense took off(their offense had already shaped into form) and san fran became the juggernaut they are now remembered for...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Geographer91. Show Geographer91's posts

Instead of a Fullback on the roster, what about having a pass catching linebacker a la Vrabel.  In the middle of the field a big man with good hands could block, catch screens or make a bigger whole in the line.

Then he can go back to being a linebacker

A 2fer

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

They need the STUD DE or OLB that is unblockable.  A disruptive force.  One who has to be game planned around.  The guy they have to leave a RB or TE in the backfield to help out on.  Lets just call him a STUD.  As a second option, a rodney harrison/bob sanders type from the safety position.  Someone who makes those recievers and TE's hear footsteps before he gets there, and then still makes them pay.  A guy who is hugely aggressive, but still does not get burnt for being too aggressive.

Offensively, OL is always the key beyond QB.  The best QB in football, with the best Ol in football could run or throw at will, and not need even above average personnel at the other skill positions IMHO. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I have to admit I liked Tolbert, he's a brutal runner and he catches like Kevin Faulk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

It is a QB-driven league, we all know that. The Pats schemes dont need a true full-back. However, after seeing Woodhead (scatback) missed a few blocks to protect Brady, I see a need for a brusing FB (Powerback) that BLOCKS!

My perception of this type of player would be Mike Karney at 5'11'' and 260 pounds, he is load to give beautiful protection of the rush up the middle at Brady. Rams released him earlier in the year, as the Rams O is centered around Bradford.

Another true FB, just released by Detroit because their O is more with TE's is Jerome Fenton, Vonta Leach, or Tony Fiammetta.

I see thoughts that it is a waste of a roster spot, but I feel the running game too would be more successfull with this lead blocker/pass rush protector.

The true fullback is an endangered species. I always enjoyed Health Evans and Sam Gash leveling players and their great blocking abilities.

Where have you gone Larry Csonka, John Riggins, Franco Harris!!!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats are missing this ONE PIECE? : Lorenzo Neal, and the league is such a high-scoring, passing affair that a true blocking fullback (who usually doesn't offer much else by way of pass-catching, versatility to be split out wide, et al) is truly a waste of a roster spot for all but the most conservative offenses (i.e. the Jets who have John Connor)
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Ah, Lorenzo Neal, thanks Artist...was driving me crazy trying to remember his name.

Sections
Shortcuts