Pats are ONE of THREE Teams in AFC with a winning record.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Pats are ONE of THREE Teams in AFC with a winning record.

Yahoo power ranking.

6. New England Patriots (4-3)
    Last week: 7
    The people of New England realize that wins are still a good thing, right? Maybe a three-point margin of victory isn't what everyone had in mind for a home game against the Jets, but wins are wins. Exactly three teams in the AFC have winning records right now, and the Patriots are one of them. The Jets save their best shot for the Patriots twice a year. Maybe you'd rather not make Mark Sanchez look like Dan Marino, but what, you expected to magically have a dominant secondary this week?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Pats are ONE of THREE Teams in AFC with a winning record.

I suppose other fans like masterhess for example, would take what we have. Glad we have a winning team to follow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In order to win a Super Bowl you first have to get there. The road has never been easier. If the Patriots improve as they have in previous years, chances are good that they'll get there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

One of those 3  teams is in a dive too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Baltimore has a winning record but I wouldn't expect more than an 8-8 record with the team they have today.   At this point the Jets are a bit better than Baltimore.  Pittsburgh might take the AFC North, although they aren't playing any better than Baltimore and they are just as old.

Two up and coming teams are 3-3 Denver and 3-3 San Diego.  I have them at third and fourth in the AFC.  Denver will do well as long as Peyton Manning's neck doesn't fall off, but that's still a serious if.  San Diego strikes me as the steadier team. 

So, the door is open if the 4-3 Patriots want to go through. A first round bye is probable.

As far as securing homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, I have Houston as a 3.4 point underdog when they visit New England.  If New England can win that partidular game, if New England can manage to pick up one other game on Houston in the next 9, and if an aging Baltimore slowly folds up in a heap, that's the homefield. 

Except for New England and possibly Houston, there aren't any good AFC representatives for the Super Bowl. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

As of now ther are only 3 teams in the AFC with a winning record and he Pats are one of them. Houston at 6-1 looks like a lock for a 2 game playoff schedule. The Ravens at 5-2 with their win over us gives them an advantage now .. but they are in shambles with injuries, and they have a formidable schedule. Likewise our conference records are equal at 4-1, so the second seed is very reachable.  But...the Houston game at home could possibly lead to 2 home playoff games if things fall right. Houston plays the Bears, Pats  and Detroit (?) on the road.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Baltimore has a winning record but I wouldn't expect more than an 8-8 record with the team they have today.   At this point the Jets are a bit better than Baltimore.  Pittsburgh might take the AFC North, although they aren't playing any better than Baltimore and they are just as old.

Two up and coming teams are 3-3 Denver and 3-3 San Diego.  I have them at third and fourth in the AFC.  Denver will do well as long as Peyton Manning's neck doesn't fall off, but that's still a serious if.  San Diego strikes me as the steadier team. 

So, the door is open if the 4-3 Patriots want to go through. A first round bye is probable.

As far as securing homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, I have Houston as a 3.4 point underdog when they visit New England.  If New England can win that partidular game, if New England can manage to pick up one other game on Houston in the next 9, and if an aging Baltimore slowly folds up in a heap, that's the homefield. 

Except for New England and possibly Houston, there aren't any good AFC representatives for the Super Bowl. 

I agree about Denver and SD as up there. How about Miami? I think they are the other dangerous team in the AFC east and have been getting better and better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I like the fact that the rookies are getting significant PT early in the season. Let them make mistakes now. All these guys making an impact:

Jones

Hightower

Dennard

Wilson

Bolden

Ebner

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Put the Jags in the playoffs and they have a shot of getting through this AFC.

People who bury the Pats for how theyre playing need to watch the other teams in the AFC play. Yes, the secondary on this team is atrocious...but so is Baltimore's. Steelers are inconsistent and an injury concern. HOU has Matt Schaub, who is no better than Flacco.

Also, look at a team like the Falcons. Media has gotten on the case of the Pats for not obliterating the Jets.

Falcons beat the 1-5 Panthers because Cam is incompetent. They barely got by the Raiders. And right now, a lot of experts have them number 1 on the power rankings.

To me, Gmen and the Packers are the elite teams. They can beat you with their offense, but the defenses have shown the potential to shut down opponents too. Bears would be next down in my opinion, only reason why I can't put them in the class of the Giants or Packers is because of their QB. And you know what the beauty is? Those three teams are in the NFC. Should the Pats make a playoff run, they only have to play one of them.

As long as Brady doesn't play like the Brady from the last couple of playoff runs (minus the Den game) then I like this team's chances.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:

As of now ther are only 3 teams in the AFC with a winning record and he Pats are one of them. Houston at 6-1 looks like a lock for a 2 game playoff schedule. The Ravens at 5-2 with their win over us gives them an advantage now .. but they are in shambles with injuries, and they have a formidable schedule. Likewise our conference records are equal at 4-1, so the second seed is very reachable.  But...the Houston game at home could possibly lead to 2 home playoff games if things fall right. Houston plays the Bears, Pats  and Detroit (?) on the road.

the ravens won thier close games.

we will have to improve to get to their level.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

If the Patriots can get on one of their 2nd half of the season rolls they will end up with the first seed. Baltimore is falling fast and if we beat Houston at home the number one could go to the Pats. Houston would need to lose another game too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

In response to Paul_K's comment:

I agree about Denver and SD as up there. How about Miami? I think they are the other dangerous team in the AFC east and have been getting better and better.

Yeah I agree with you on Miami. They are quietly giving teams fits and improving .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the fact that the rookies are getting significant PT early in the season. Let them make mistakes now. All these guys making an impact:

Jones

Hightower

Dennard

Wilson

Bolden

Ebner

RESPONSE: The rooks aren't the problem. The vets...McCourty, Chung, Gregory, Dowling, and Arrington are. It's time that BB brings in some competent assistants. Matt Patricia, Josh McDaniels, and Josh Boyer are not getting it done.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

The Patriots have a great shot at getting back to the Super Bowl this year, but only because the AFC is so bad. Especially now that B-more has so many injuries, the really only have to get past Houston. That is no small task, you are talking about a team that is top 5 in both offense and defense. 

That said, the NFC is a whole different matter. I think six for the Patriots in the whole NFL is a little high. The Falcons, Giants, Bears and 49ers all are certainly playing better than the Pats so far this year.  Arizona and Seattle have the same records as the Patriots and both team them head-to-head. I am not sold on the 5-2 Vikings, but the Packers are in that group as well. The fourth best team in the AFC (probably the Steelers), might be the 12th or 13th best team in the NFL.

The AFC has the worst teams as well, four of the worst five teams (the Jaguars, Raiders, Chiefs and Browns) are in the conference as well. The second worst team in the NFC so far is the Lions and they are probably better than seven or eight AFC teams.

It is just an odd year in the NFL in terms of balances between the conferences.

Sections
Shortcuts