pats are retaining former players and locking up others.when are they gonna sign players to improve the team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Re: pats are retaining former players and locking up others.when are they gonna sign players to improve the team?

In Response to Re: pats are retaining former players and locking up others.when are they gonna sign players to improve the team?:
    In Response to Re: pats are retaining former players and locking up others.when are they gonna sign players to improve the team? : at least your admitting the division is strong.
    Posted by mosseffect43

Yeah, that is what the records indicate.....usually when a division has 2 teams go to the playoffs, it is an indication that it is strong.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Re: pats are retaining former players and locking up others.when are they gonna sign players to improve the team?

The Pats have two first round picks next year. One is from Oakland and will be in the top ten and one if from NE and will be near the bottom. What about trading one of these picks next year for Brandon Marshall? He would LOVE catching passes from TB and he's used to having a role like Welker's where he will catch a ton of passes in traffic and take huge hits. Moss is still there to throw long and Marshall could do some of that also. I really believe Marshall is best suited for New England.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

The Patriots are fine.

If the Colts lost Peyton last year, you think they'd even make the playoffs? No. Yet, we did in 2008. The naysayers will say, "But it's not Peyton's fault the Patriots had a better overall team." Well, then that's just a testament to our management and coaching.

Last year was clearly a rebuilding year. Did we all hope they win the Super Bowl? Yes. Did I tell everyone we'd make it to Miami? Yes. With Belichick and Tommy Brady, you'd be stupid to believe otherwise. Still, we were rebuilding and yet we finished atop our division. Ask St. Louis, Detroit and Tampa Bay what rebuilding is like.

We were a good but inexperienced team last year. We were not great. All we've done thus far this off season is MAKE SURE WE BRING BACK LAST YEAR'S TEAM AND THEN ADD TO IT. Let's say we let Wilfork walk, along with Bodden. Then we trade for Brandon Marshall. Some of you bandwagon fans would be leaping for joy but guess what? YOU LOST TWO OF YOUR BETTER DEFENSIVE PLAYERS! Now, there's no "what if we still had this guy or that guy from last year?" because we're keeping them all pretty much. People are underestimating the chemistry aspect as well: we're preserving any rapport our players built with each other last year, which is paramount in building a great team and a great locker room. Not to mention, we have a great set of picks, the best QB in the league, and the best coach in the league.

Calm down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: pats are retaining former players and locking up others.when are they gonna sign players to improve the team?:
    Mosseffect didn't say anything about "HIGH PROFILE" free agents.  He's simply stating that the team hasn't done anything to IMPROVE.  In fact, they have more holes now than they started with.  You really feel good about fielding the same squad as last year.  Everyone says "chill, we won our division"...  Barely... and we were only a couple plays away from being 8-8.  And for those who are so confident that we'll build through the draft, have you watched them draft lately...  let me recap... "New England has traded their 22'nd pick to so-and-so for their 48'th pick and a 3'rd rounder next year"...  Tell me, when are all these "value" picks going to show up and lead the team?  And as for being a deep draft...  you hear that crap every year.  It's a ratings booster for television.  How often do you hear "this is a really thin draft"?  maybe once in the past 10 years. Mosseffect's point is that we've done nothing to improve...  we're right where we were last year, except 1 year older.  Did the Jets improve?  Yes...  Did the Dolphins improve?  Yes...  Are they better than the Pats now?  Probably not, but they've at least made moves in the right direction.  I'm not saying bring in top dollar guys, but bring in SOMEONE to address some needs.
    Posted by manowar333

So after locking up the NT, #1 CB, 2 LB, O-lineman, and WR they have more holes than they started with?  I am confused at how that can be..... 

We were also a couple of plays away from being a 12-4 team, we can play this game all day......

Nobody is saying Chill we won our division....we are saying CHILL, IT IS THE 5TH DAY OF FREE AGENCY!

I actually hear that it is a thin draft almost every year......except this year....and with the possibility of a rookie fixed salaries, all of the underclassmen who would normally be going out next year are coming out this year....making it a strong draft.

You don't think that the pats trading a pick to get 2 picks is value? Wow.....

So the Jests lose their best RB and are on the verge of losing their 3rd Down back/KR and thier QN had off season operation......they improved?  LOL!  ok!

Miami got a decent LB.....they have not done anything else....they have not signed any of their own players....So, thus far they have lost more than they got.

Pats have signed more players this offseason than Miami and Jests combined....

SO TAKE A CHILL PILL, it is the 5th day for free agency!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

m1021us, I applaud you for bringing back the "take a chill pill" phrase.

Reminds me of my middle school days =)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

m1021us , I applaud you for bringing back the "take a chill pill" phrase. Reminds me of my middle school days =)
    Posted by apdynasty23

I was thinking about bringing back the parachute pants too......think work will mind?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

This team just cemented some important positions and kept all their important free agents. I would not be surprised if they sign Brady then see whats left over for the draft and free agents. Things are shaping up nicely for the Pats to make a run on a verteran receiver like Marshall. That could be a draft pick trade and sign. They're pretty darned solid for this early into free agency. With them signing Wilfork and Bodden I now feel comfortable with the defense; they're all quality players straight up the middle. Now they need to get a good pass rusher in the draft and also a veteran free agent like Jason Taylor. The offense really only needs another marquee receiver and I think it will be Marshall.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron

Im have to disagree with some things here. The Patriots defense is not anywhere near being solid, in fact far from it. The Patriots defense proved they cannot stop anyone and those were the lower teams in the 3rd and 4th quaters. Wilfolk should have already been signed and so should Bodden before FA started, and please note, Wilfolk is not the whole defense, teams were still running with sucess on the Patriots
    Right now the Patriots at best are slightly less than even from last year, Im sorry but no matter who they draft, they will not make an impact that fast and with all the holes the Patriots have this year will be another building block.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

No doubt they have quite a few holes to fill but this upcoming draft is really deep.  We could end up with 3 or 4 starters if done right.  I have to admit nobody really gets me pumped up about this free agent class.  The only player I think the Pats really missed out on so far is Anquan Bolden.  Baltimore didn't give much to give up to get him and the contract he signed wasn't outrageous.  Other than that I'm not going to get upset about missing out on anyone else.  I may be in the minority here but I feel the Patriots are in a semi-rebuilding mode right now.  If they are winning their division in a rebuilding mode then they are doing something right.  The best way to build your team is drafting the right players.  Look at the Colts and Steelers.  They draft very well and retain the players they develop.  They use free agency to fill in holes here and there if at all.  I think the Pats will eventually fill a few holes here and there with the free agent class this year.  I do admit the Pats haven't drated all that well the last 5 years.  First round picks have been solid but after that there isn't much to show.  I understand two picks were turned into Welker and Moss but after that not much.  I thought last years draft was a step in the right direction and hopefully they build on that this year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

So which Lucy Goosey started this subject? THE SKY IS FALLING!!!
    Chill out guys (or facsimile of). Instead of whining "we reatined ours but didn't pick up any free agents, first anwser this: Who would you have had us sign? Overpay for Karlos D.? Overpay for "Don't hit me" Cromartie? Trade away valuable picks in perhaps the deepest draft in NFL history? Picks that can net YOUNG, CHEAP stars of the furture? WHO would you have signed in a weak FA year?
    Hitch up your Huggies and wait until the team is built. We had a very good D last year (Points given up- the Pat's were either 4th or 5th best), retained our best, let some of the weaker players leave, ignored the temptation to overpay like Miami and NY.... Now, put down the kids book and get back to work.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Stomper....in a very deep draft why wouldn't a draftee be expected to contribute in his first year? Mayo did. Edleman did.Gostowski did. And those weren't considered deep drafts. See no reason why 3-4 of our picks could not contribute this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

No doubt they have quite a few holes to fill but this upcoming draft is really deep.  We could end up with 3 or 4 starters if done right.  I have to admit nobody really gets me pumped up about this free agent class.  The only player I think the Pats really missed out on so far is Anquan Bolden.  Baltimore didn't give much to give up to get him and the contract he signed wasn't outrageous.  Other than that I'm not going to get upset about missing out on anyone else.  I may be in the minority here but I feel the Patriots are in a semi-rebuilding mode right now.  If they are winning their division in a rebuilding mode then they are doing something right.  The best way to build your team is drafting the right players.  Look at the Colts and Steelers.  They draft very well and retain the players they develop.  They use free agency to fill in holes here and there if at all.  I think the Pats will eventually fill a few holes here and there with the free agent class this year.  I do admit the Pats haven't drated all that well the last 5 years.  First round picks have been solid but after that there isn't much to show.  I understand two picks were turned into Welker and Moss but after that not much.  I thought last years draft was a step in the right direction and hopefully they build on that this year. 
    Posted by PatsNut5480

You would be one of the smarter ones on here.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tommy3123. Show tommy3123's posts

Id rather keep the picks than overpay.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Re: pats are retaining former players and locking up others.when are they gonna sign players to improve the team? : Im have to disagree with some things here. The Patriots defense is not anywhere near being solid, in fact far from it. The Patriots defense proved they cannot stop anyone and those were the lower teams in the 3rd and 4th quaters. Wilfolk should have already been signed and so should Bodden before FA started, and please note, Wilfolk is not the whole defense, teams were still running with sucess on the Patriots Right now the Patriots at best are slightly less than even from last year, Im sorry but no matter who they draft, they will not make an impact that fast and with all the holes the Patriots have this year will be another building block.
    Posted by Stompper

The Pats are solid defensively. They were one of the top ranked teams defensively. They had trouble closing out some games but so did the offense. This team right now is only a FEW players away from dominance. What happens if they get Marshall? What if they have at least one rook make significant contributions? This team was injured a lot last year and that alone probably accounted for two losses. With healthy starters and a few newcomers it could take them over the top.

Everything changes year to year stop worrying about last year. Look at the injury reports by game and see how many impact guys were down for long periods last season. Mayo, Warren and Wilfork all spent significant amount of time on the injured list. Lets see what they, brady, Moss and a few new additions look like healthy and with one year more experience for some of the new guys. This team has the potential to be shockingly good and not the other way around.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Don't expect there to be any major moves on defense.  Offense however at the very least we will be going after a TE or two.  I'm holding out hope for us going after a big name WR as well like Marshal. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

Don't expect there to be any major moves on defense.  Offense however at the very least we will be going after a TE or two.  I'm holding out hope for us going after a big name WR as well like Marshal. 
    Posted by agill1970

Please no Marshall!!!  He is the anti-Patriot.  He has a ton of talent but he's a head case.  I'm not into players who beat women and act like a first grader when things don't go their way. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In Response to Re: pats are retaining former players and locking up others.when are they gonna sign players to improve the team? : Please no Marshall!!!  He is the anti-Patriot.  He has a ton of talent but he's a head case.  I'm not into players who beat women and act like a first grader when things don't go their way. 
    Posted by PatsNut5480

I can't see the Pats going after Marshall.  They just resigned Kevin Faulk, a great leader and locker room presence.  Big Vince is ready to take on more of a leadership role also.  These guys are the types of players the organization is looking for or trying to keep.  Not people like AD or Brandon Marshall.  I say build with the draft and add some high character mid level FA's.  This team will be just fine going forward especially if they have a successfull draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

So what.

There are no dominant teams in the NFL anymore. There are no dominant defenses.

The Colts won 7 of their games by 20 points total. Many come from behind wins.

The Saints lost to the Bucs when they were trying to win.

The Raiders beat the Steelers, Eagles and Bengals.

Every team "struggles" for wins. They are not easy to come by in todays NFL.

IMO Brady stunk last year when the game was on the line. Blame it on the o-line, blame it on injuries. It doesn't matter. He will do better this year.

We will never again see the dominant Patriot teams of 2003 and 2004.

You don't need to be dominant to win a super bowl. You just need to make the playoffs and play mistake-free football. A little luck helps too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The Patriots weren't very good last year.  Re-signing all of last year's players and standing pat is not a plan for improvement.

They were abysmal at times - and their defense is really below mediocre.  But they are trotting out the same guys (minus Jarvis green)?

That is NOT a plan (to win).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

ravens are beefing up.add him with boldin,and stallworth.but we did retain another player today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/10/derrick-mason-returns-to-ravens/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

First: 4/7/2008
    Last: 3/10/2010
    your the one who needs to chill.im not sending off fire alarms.im just stateing they have yet to sign anyone to help the team.as for the draft that remains to be seen.how many players come right out of the draft,and make an instant impact in there first year?every year we here someone say[ well this years draft is very deep]

how about these names from the draft:
    Seymour
    Warren
    Mankins
    Merriweather
    Wilfork
    Mayo
    Graham I think he has 2 SB rings  maybe 3 and was a factor
    Watson, I still think he was Ok his speed always presented mismatch ... ok he dropped a few!!!
    Maroney  an OK RB

I think BB has done Ok in getting STARTERS in then draft

PS Wilfork was the numero uno free agent !!!  Peppers is 30+ yrs old and Boldin was just to much $ 

the Pats signed the best FA

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Oh by the way in response to impact players fro the draft to Moss Effect , I forgot  a  199th !!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

in there first year?i see just one.brady didnt play in his first year,but did very well a few years later,and lets dont talk about a player haveing a few good games in one season,but impacting every game in there first year.mayo is the only one.i agree the draft can be good,and players will make it or break it in a few years.but who cares about three years from now.its this year when the season starts.ive said nothing about the pats not haveing good drafts.i just stated many that have been recently drafted remain to be seen,or have yet to prove themselves.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

tick tock! tick tock!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

If you don't do nothing for long enough the world just might change in your favor or you'll become extinct.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: pats are retaining former players and locking up others.when are they gonna sign players to improve the team? : Agreed.  I have been saying this since they transitioned in 2008 and last year.  As I asked this before to the sky is falling types, what cap era team wins divisions while rebuilding????  No one.  It's increedible what this organization has done. They win 11 games with a back up QB and then win a division while basically trying out players on the fly in weak positions. Meanwhile, BB knows the 2010 is a deeply projected one, so he trades out while other teams panic, and he's sitting on 1st rd quality picks, with 4 in the top 53 slots.  Two 1st rd picks next year because he feasted on Al Davis's brain cells again. Genius is how I see it.
    Posted by russgriswold

That statement is completely wrong...2001 was a rebuilding year for the Pats.....