Pats are very lucky this was not the Super Bowl vs 49ers !!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Pats are very lucky this was not the Super Bowl vs 49ers !!!

Born in Maine and spent 21 years there until USMC called me away. Have spent past 45 years in SF. Roots run deep so a Boston team fan first but local fan too. This was not a devastating loss by Pats.  A few devastating ones are Celtics to Lakers 2 years ago in game 7 up by 13pts, 49ers to Giants last year when same receiver made 2 bonehead fumbles and, the Pats losing to the hated Giants in the undefeated season in SB with an uncanny one handed catch by David Tyree and then last year's SB when Welker drops a pass he would make 9 out of 10 times. This loss is not season ending so does not need stay in fans   stomachs more than until the next game

Prior to the game I read in posts, Pats will do the same as they did to Texans, 49ers will leave with tails wagging between legs, it will be a thrashing etc. On the other hand, in "SF Chronicle's sport section, SF has a daunting task, it will need be at top of its game, 49ers have untmost respect for Brady etc.

So on a cold and rainy night, almost light snow, a wave of soaked, shivering and some shell-shocked Patriots fans began trudging for the exits at 31-3. Game over, right? Nope. Not with Brady standing on the home sideline.  In a jaw-dropping 18-minute span, however, Brady shook off his struggles and directed consecutive touchdown drives of 73, 86, 66 and 92 yards. During the four series, he completed 16 of 24 passes for 236 yards, scored on a 1-yard run and threw a 5-yard scoring pass to tight end Hernandez.  It seemed that it was impossible to stop the inertia the Pats coming down the field at will and of 49ers no first downs and 3 and out. It would have been a devastating loss for SF.

Yesterday and today I read posts, 49ers will not make the SB, they are overrated, Seattle will thrash them etc. In SF there is humility in the victory with no braggadocio but 49ers held off Pats etc. Do not know why this hate toward SF.

Please keep in mind that 49ers only led by 14 pts at half time having had a series of missed opportunities that ended on the first play of the second quarter, the 49ers reached New England's 5, 21- and 25-yard lines and didn't manage a point.  The series were capped by a fumble by tight end Walker, a missed 39-yard field-goal and a 4th-and-inches attempt that was doomed when Kaepernick couldn't handle the snap. I mean this could have been at least one TD & one field goal for another 10 pts.

I commented before the game that the key to Pats victory would be to Protect Brady and to win the turnover battle.  For the most part they did but Pats' receivers dropped many balls they normally catch but they lost the turnover battle and, yes, it was unfortunate that 49ers recovered many of their own fumbles.

Going forward, I think that Denver & Manning are biggest challenge for Pats and in the NFL I do not  want the Giants in at all. Last year they were only 9-7 yet got hot. Green Bay & Seattle too will be biggest obstacles for SF( Atlanta I dunno ???).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Re: Pats are very lucky this was not the Super Bowl vs 49ers !!!

Consider that the Super Bowl will not be played in a cold rain

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But in some pre-game posts Pats fans were hoping for snow, cold etc. as it favors them more than teams from warmer climates. Colin Kaepernich fumbled the snap a few times becasue of the cold hands, wet ball etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

We are lucky there was a cold rain, the officiating was poor and the 9ers lost only one of six fumbles? We need luck like that like we need more taxes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But in some pre-game posts Pats fans were hoping for snow, cold etc. as it favors them more than teams from warmer climates. Colin Kaepernich fumbled the snap a few times becasue of the cold hands, wet ball etc.

[/QUOTE]

Very cold or snow are one thing. Cold rain is another. Wet conditions favor a running team and strong defense. The weather mitigated the Pat's greatest strength; Brady.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Very cold or snow are one thing. Cold rain is another. Wet conditions favor a running team and strong defense. The weather mitigated the Pat's greatest strength; Brady.

[/QUOTE]

So the two INTs were the weather's fault right? As well as the 13% third down effeciency. Come on Babe go ahead and claim that Brady didn't contribute to the loss.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RaiderPat. Show RaiderPat's posts

True..  if they ever played again Pats win easyly with gronkowski back on the line up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So the two INTs were the weather's fault right? As well as the 13% third down effeciency. Come on Babe go ahead and claim that Brady didn't contribute to the loss.

[/QUOTE]

Rusty, do you think Hern's bobble of that pass and flip up right into the defender's hands was Brady's fault? Do you think Welker should have just stopped running and look plaintively at ther refs on the other?

Brady shares some blame. Never said he didn't. But only a fool would think the weather didn't favor a team like the 9ers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rusty, do you think Hern's bobble of that pass and flip up right into the defender's hands was Brady's fault? Do you think Welker should have just stopped running and look plaintively at ther refs on the other?

Brady shares some blame. Never said he didn't. But only a fool would think the weather didn't favor a team like the 9ers.

[/QUOTE]

i dont think those two int's were a factor of the weather......they were a factor of welker getting mugged by a defensive back and hernandez having alligator arms and butter fingers at the same time

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They got 32, 1st downs, which means a high % of conversions on 1st and 2nd downs.

Only a rusty clone would ignore the good and harp on one stat.

They also scored 34 points against a D that allows 14 per game and also allowed 41 points, although not all their fault, against a QB making his 5th NFL start and who is currently being fitted for his gold jacket because of it.  They allowed completions of 38, 24, 34 for TD"S for cripes sakes, that were not a result of the T/O's.

If you hadn't noticed, let me recap the 2012 season for you.  The 4 T/O's were an anonomly as they had only 10 for the year up until that point.  So ya, weather might have played a part in that.  The D allowing 4th quarter TD drives of over 20 yards to LOSE the game is not.  In fact they are nearing 80 completions for over 20 and a NFL record. 

Not saying anyone played the way they needed to but any one who defends this D has not been paying attention for the past 5 years and should probably stick to tiddlywinks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]

Brady shares some blame.

[/QUOTE]

No he doesn't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good point

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]

the officiating was poor

[/QUOTE]

Very bad. Their DBs were hoding all night. Branch got held in the endzone, no call

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

If I were Bill Belichick I'd be asking what drills the 49ers use to recover fumbles.  Of 8 lost fumbles in the game, 7 were recoverd by the 49ers, and a number of fumble recoveries were subsequently big plays for the 49ers.  Whatever the Niners have, can the Pats learn those neat tricks in about 7 weeks?

If I were the 49ers coach, I'd be worrying that the Niners put the ball on the ground 6 times during the game and the Patriots only had 2 fumbles.  What if in fact there isn't any magic ball recovery drill?  What if, next game, the Niners once more put the ball on the ground 6 times, the Patriots 2 times once again, except this game it's the Patriots that recover 7 out of the 8 total fumbles?  Would a swing of 6 SF recoveries to 6 Patriots recoveries and a few nice runbacks to boot substantially change the character of the next game?   Would San Francisco become a spitted sheep roasting over a wood fire for much of the game?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

No the Broncos and Falcons are lucky because it really would stink for them that the Pats and 49ers got to play in the super bowl in the middle of December without having to win any playoff games.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

The weather was the same for both teams.  The Pats (and Brady) generally play well in bad weather. 

I didn't think the officiating was an issue.  On the no-call on the punt, it looked like the ball somehow missed Ginn.  There were questionable PI calls both ways.

The bottom liine is that the Pats stunk it up for the better part of 3 quarters.  They didn't deserve to win.  The better team on the field did.

All the bounces have been going the Pats way lately (e.g.  the two quick turnovers for TD's on Thxgiving, including the butt fumble).  These things tend to even out over the course of season.  That's what happened Sunday IMO.  But "luck" usually seems to favor the team that is playing harder and better.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch, and think the Pats can win, but no way do I think the Pats win easily agsainst this team.  The Niners are a tough, physical team.  Their D gave the Pats offense fits for most of the game, and their offense looks good too.  Crabtree abused the Pats secondary all night.  IMO, the Pats need to play close to flawless football to beat this team.  On Sunday night, they were just terrible in all phases for most of the game. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I've said it many times, but the primary issue in that game in my opnion was the SF defensive front dominating our offensive line.  Very similar to the Giants Super Bowls in that regard.

Aggressive special teams play by the 49ers also hurt us.  Pats made a lot of mistakes, but honestly, I think the 49ers forced a lot of those mistakes by aggressive play on defense and kick coverage.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]

Born in Maine and spent 21 years there until USMC called me away. Have spent past 45 years in SF. Roots run deep so a Boston team fan first but local fan too. This was not a devastating loss by Pats.  A few devastating ones are Celtics to Lakers 2 years ago in game 7 up by 13pts, 49ers to Giants last year when same receiver made 2 bonehead fumbles and, the Pats losing to the hated Giants in the undefeated season in SB with an uncanny one handed catch by David Tyree and then last year's SB when Welker drops a pass he would make 9 out of 10 times. This loss is not season ending so does not need stay in fans   stomachs more than until the next game

Prior to the game I read in posts, Pats will do the same as they did to Texans, 49ers will leave with tails wagging between legs, it will be a thrashing etc. On the other hand, in "SF Chronicle's sport section, SF has a daunting task, it will need be at top of its game, 49ers have untmost respect for Brady etc.

So on a cold and rainy night, almost light snow, a wave of soaked, shivering and some shell-shocked Patriots fans began trudging for the exits at 31-3. Game over, right? Nope. Not with Brady standing on the home sideline.  In a jaw-dropping 18-minute span, however, Brady shook off his struggles and directed consecutive touchdown drives of 73, 86, 66 and 92 yards. During the four series, he completed 16 of 24 passes for 236 yards, scored on a 1-yard run and threw a 5-yard scoring pass to tight end Hernandez.  It seemed that it was impossible to stop the inertia the Pats coming down the field at will and of 49ers no first downs and 3 and out. It would have been a devastating loss for SF.

Yesterday and today I read posts, 49ers will not make the SB, they are overrated, Seattle will thrash them etc. In SF there is humility in the victory with no braggadocio but 49ers held off Pats etc. Do not know why this hate toward SF.

Please keep in mind that 49ers only led by 14 pts at half time having had a series of missed opportunities that ended on the first play of the second quarter, the 49ers reached New England's 5, 21- and 25-yard lines and didn't manage a point.  The series were capped by a fumble by tight end Walker, a missed 39-yard field-goal and a 4th-and-inches attempt that was doomed when Kaepernick couldn't handle the snap. I mean this could have been at least one TD & one field goal for another 10 pts.

I commented before the game that the key to Pats victory would be to Protect Brady and to win the turnover battle.  For the most part they did but Pats' receivers dropped many balls they normally catch but they lost the turnover battle and, yes, it was unfortunate that 49ers recovered many of their own fumbles.

Going forward, I think that Denver & Manning are biggest challenge for Pats and in the NFL I do not  want the Giants in at all. Last year they were only 9-7 yet got hot. Green Bay & Seattle too will be biggest obstacles for SF( Atlanta I dunno ???).

[/QUOTE]

I folllow the Pats and this game was talked about like every other game.  Some fans thought it would be easy, most didn't.  SF fans talk the same way because there is no personality test to become a fan of a team.  They are all the same, just slices of the population by location.  I'm willing to bet you are not a Patriots fan. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

2 for 15 with third downs.......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2 for 15 with third downs.......

[/QUOTE]

Oh, Geeze!  32, 1st downs, which means 30 of them were converted on first. second and 4th downs.  34 points and 500+ yards, against the #1 D, after a poor start.

Not sure why you are stuck on that one stat.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4047318. Show user_4047318's posts

The simple fact is that the Pats, coming off their big win against the AFC leading Texans, were too complacent and didn't execute with any sense of urgency until the middle of the 3rd quarter.   This over confidence may have affected the less experienced players more.  Young players tend to be less consistent.  For this reason, the team is better off without a by -week.  You want these guys to keep at it in real time.....if not, they may lose it and fall back to bad habits.  What this team is capable of was demonstrated against the Texans and in the last 1and 1/2 quarters of the game with the 49ers.  They need to play like that with more consistency.  

Sections
Shortcuts