Pats as Roman Empire

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

Pats as Roman Empire

The Pats, after growing into a formidable entity in the NFL, achieved great success, then came the institutional arrogance that has allowed many great players to leave; wasted draft picks year after year.  And now the inevitable malaise.  This year is the worst draft ever.  I keep hearing how draft picks will not make this team and yet are defense is terrible, our o-line suspect, our line-backer corps is old (besides Mayo) and marginally talented (Redd, Guyton) or overrated (Thomas).  This team has wasted too many year's drafts on marginally talented players who simply are not playmakers.  The Pats need playmakers on both sides of the ball and yet, in this draft, have not, in my opinion, gotten a single playmaker.  They  have a bunch of James Sanders and Ryan O'Callaghan types that fill space on the sidelines and/or overmatched on the field. 
    I hate to say it, but the currrent regime running the Pats has run its course and we need new leadership.  If not, the Pats will continue to deteriorate to where they were before we started winning. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

Re: Pats as Roman Empire

dude your a moron, Pats are going AT LEAST 12-4 and still winning the super bowl. this was a good draft and now they have 3 2nd round picks next year. You need to change that poopy diaper and go cry somewhere else

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

dude your a moron, Pats are going AT LEAST 12-4 and still winning the super bowl. this was a good draft and now they have 3 2nd round picks next year. You need to change that poopy diaper and go cry somewhere else
    Posted by BradyHasMoreRings

Dude: 
    You are the short-sighted moron who needs to be schooled in the NFL.  You haven't been paying attention to the general deterioration going on in Foxboro. Letting players go in Free-agency, making bad draft pick after bad draft pick, and constantly stockpiling picks for next year when they need players now.  Yeah they can still be competive in the league for the moment.  In bigger scheme of things, the Pats, like the Celtics in the late 80's, lare letting themselves get old, have made and continue to make bad drafting decisions, and are in the process of dropping from an elite team to a joke within 2-3 years.  The Pats are headed in the same direction.
    The Pats aren't doing the things that they need to do in order to be competitive moving forward. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

Dude:  You are the short-sighted moron who needs to be schooled in the NFL.  You haven't been paying attention to the general deterioration going on in Foxboro. Letting players go in Free-agency, making bad draft pick after bad draft pick, and constantly stockpiling picks for next year when they need players now.  Yeah they can still be competive in the league for the moment.  In bigger scheme of things, the Pats, like the Celtics in the late 80's, lare letting themselves get old, have made and continue to make bad drafting decisions, and are in the process of dropping from an elite team to a joke within 2-3 years.  The Pats are headed in the same direction. The Pats aren't doing the things that they need to do in order to be competitive moving forward. 
    Posted by Plluto29

PLEASE CHANGE YOUR NAME TO MR. NEGATIVE OR MR. POOPY DIAPER

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

I think this poster may have the correct title to the post. Absolutely the wrong argument though. The Pats are in the beginning stages of their empire.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochrist. Show rochrist's posts

The Pats, after growing into a formidable entity in the NFL, achieved great success, then came the institutional arrogance that has allowed many great players to leave; wasted draft picks year after year.  And now the inevitable malaise.  This year is the worst draft ever.  I keep hearing how draft picks will not make this team and yet are defense is terrible, our o-line suspect, our line-backer corps is old (besides Mayo) and marginally talented (Redd, Guyton) or overrated (Thomas).  This team has wasted too many year's drafts on marginally talented players who simply are not playmakers.  The Pats need playmakers on both sides of the ball and yet, in this draft, have not, in my opinion, gotten a single playmaker.  They  have a bunch of James Sanders and Ryan O'Callaghan types that fill space on the sidelines and/or overmatched on the field.  I hate to say it, but the currrent regime running the Pats has run its course and we need new leadership.  If not, the Pats will continue to deteriorate to where they were before we started winning. 
    Posted by Plluto29

Fortunately, Bill runs the Pats, not you.

Troll grade: c-

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

First off FA is the way of the NFL.  No team can escape it.  The salary cap makes sure players move.

Second.  What wasted draft picks?  You can't hit 100% on this.  The Pats are one of the better teams at drafting.  Our whole OL and DL are Belichick draft picks.

Third. The Pats do not need players now.  The Pats are favored again to win the SB.  Why?  They were very active in FA to fix the holes they had.  The draft is then used to bring in the best player off their board.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

First off FA is the way of the NFL.  No team can escape it.  The salary cap makes sure players move. Second.  What wasted draft picks?  You can't hit 100% on this.  The Pats are one of the better teams at drafting.  Our whole OL and DL are Belichick draft picks. Third. The Pats do not need players now.  The Pats are favored again to win the SB.  Why?  They were very active in FA to fix the holes they had.  The draft is then used to bring in the best player off their board.   
    Posted by garytx

What impact linebackers did they get in the draft this year.  Answer: None.  They have got borderline DBs, a project O-lineman, a drug-using WR. Great draft Bill.  The Pats are in a state of decline.  You can fantasize all you want about the Pats being favored to win in the Superbowl (and they will be players in the Playoffs) but the same issues that have haunted them for the past 4 years have not been addressed.  Namely, big-time playmakers on defense. Where are they?  J. Mayo may be one but where are the others? The Pats have had plenty of opportunities with the bevy of picks and frugal spending to target both college players and young free-agent up and comers.  They haven't done it.  Yeah, the core group of players will continue to allow the Pats to be competitive but they are getting older too and where is the depth behind them?  I don't see it.  I want the Pats to remain competitive year after year. I don't want a return to the Rod Rust days.  But everything the Pats are doing indicates that this is the direction that they are headed in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

What impact linebackers did they get in the draft this year.  Answer: None.  They have got borderline DBs, a project O-lineman, a drug-using WR. Great draft Bill.  The Pats are in a state of decline.  You can fantasize all you want about the Pats being favored to win in the Superbowl (and they will be players in the Playoffs) but the same issues that have haunted them for the past 4 years have not been addressed.  Namely, big-time playmakers on defense. Where are they?  J. Mayo may be one but where are the others? The Pats have had plenty of opportunities with the bevy of picks and frugal spending to target both college players and young free-agent up and comers.  They haven't done it.  Yeah, the core group of players will continue to allow the Pats to be competitive but they are getting older too and where is the depth behind them?  I don't see it.  I want the Pats to remain competitive year after year. I don't want a return to the Rod Rust days.  But everything the Pats are doing indicates that this is the direction that they are headed in.
    Posted by Plluto29

LETS ALL SAY IT TOGETHER FOR MR. NEGATIVE,

POOPY DIAPER!!
    POOPY DIAPER!!
    POOPY DIAPER!!

i bet this guy in real life is the MOST negative person on the face of the earth,
    anything and everything is bad or will turn out bad.
    Probably looks for everything bad in any situation before looking at the good that comes out of things. What a life to live

He will have a heart attack soon and probably has the WORST life ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Let's face it dude.  You're on the rag because we didn't fix the pass rush in the draft, period.  The offense is solid and in it's prime but we're still going to hell in a basket.  The front 3 on the defense are amoung the best and in their prime.  The DBs are very good and young after the addition of Chung and Butler.  Mayo is excellent.  All that it leaves is the LB pass rush situation.  The only thing I can think of is that Thomas will be move to rush the QB which he excells at.  But he has speed to be the cover OLB too.  We have other LBs with speed to take this job over.  The beast will be released. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

Let's face it dude.  You're on the rag because we didn't fix the pass rush in the draft, period.  The offense is solid and in it's prime but we're still going to hell in a basket.  The front 3 on the defense are amoung the best and in their prime.  The DBs are very good and young after the addition of Chung and Butler.  Mayo is excellent.  All that it leaves is the LB pass rush situation.  The only thing I can think of is that Thomas will be move to rush the QB which he excells at.  But he has speed to be the cover OLB too.  We have other LBs with speed to take this job over.  The beast will be released. 
    Posted by garytx

you also could argue that they didnt grab a ILB/OLB cause they might have jason taylor waiting in the near future. its a now fix but its a good fix. we are fine and BB is doing great That guy just needs to change his tampon

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Plluto-  You need to think outside of your infatuation with the "pass rush"......Look at the the depth that was added and holes that were filled

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I don't think Belichick has lost the ability to evaluate LBs (see Mayo Defensive Rookie of the Year). You can't grab the entire LB corps of the Ravens in a single draft. Just because Guyton and Redd did not turn out to be Talyor/Carson revisited is way to premature. BB traded for and got more picks in 2010. Something I expected him to do, although not to this extent. The O Line and D Line is still intact, the secondary and WR corps have been improved and the Pats still have an excellent RB rotation with Brady at QB. It not so much the end of the Roman Empire as it is a new situation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Posted by Plluto29

Hey Donnie Downer....relax. The drafts a cr@p shoot. Did you think they were going to get Curry and Matthews and Jenkins and OH BOY! BACK TO THE SUPER BOWL WITH THOSE GUYS! Well...we are going back to the Super Bowl to complete some unfinished business. Not a lot of spots open on this team Donnie. We'll be just fine.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

The pass rush worries will be addressed with the signing of Jason Taylor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

One or two good players a draft, every draft, irregardless of position, is not too much to ask.  We are getting ready to lose Seymour and/or Wilfork and Mankins, Moss, most of running backs to free-agency after next year.  We need more than just "guys" to replace them.  I don't see it happening for the Pats after this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

One or two good players a draft, every draft, irregardless of position, is not too much to ask.  We are getting ready to lose Seymour and/or Wilfork and Mankins, Moss, most of running backs to free-agency after next year.  We need more than just "guys" to replace them.  I don't see
    for the Pats after this year.
    Posted by Plluto29

One or two good players every draft......I couldn't agree more. How can you say we haven't done that already. Nobody and I mean NOBODY knows how ANY draft pick will work out. Belichick has traded picks this year and we now have 3 second round picks next year. That's how one continues to gets better....looking ahead. Nobody is better at that then Belichick. Will we lose some players thru free agency next year? Yea, I'm sure we will. But I wouldn't want anyone else in charge of this team than Bill. Look what he's done since he's been here. How could anyone want anyboy else. I'm sure Belichick knows all about our third down and red zone defense from last year. The pass rush...it will come...one way or another.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Playmakers are for ESPN highlight reels.  Guys who work hard and do their job on the field are what make this team great.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Worry about your own team TROLL. [Ignore Plluto29]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The option of adding Jason Taylor is out there for sure but I feel it can be fix within.  The trade of Hobbs does open up this door for Taylor.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

The Pats, after growing into a formidable entity in the NFL, achieved great success, then came the institutional arrogance that has allowed many great players to leave; wasted draft picks year after year.  And now the inevitable malaise.  This year is the worst draft ever.  I keep hearing how draft picks will not make this team and yet are defense is terrible, our o-line suspect, our line-backer corps is old (besides Mayo) and marginally talented (Redd, Guyton) or overrated (Thomas).  This team has wasted too many year's drafts on marginally talented players who simply are not playmakers.  The Pats need playmakers on both sides of the ball and yet, in this draft, have not, in my opinion, gotten a single playmaker.  They  have a bunch of James Sanders and Ryan O'Callaghan types that fill space on the sidelines and/or overmatched on the field.  I hate to say it, but the currrent regime running the Pats has run its course and we need new leadership.  If not, the Pats will continue to deteriorate to where they were before we started winning. 
    Posted by Plluto29

Poor analogy for your argument...the Byzantine and Holy Roman Empires followed..just as the Pats show the league you can rebuild, transition and continue to win.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

One or two good players a draft, every draft, irregardless of position, is not too much to ask.  We are getting ready to lose Seymour and/or Wilfork and Mankins, Moss, most of running backs to free-agency after next year.  We need more than just "guys" to replace them.  I don't see it happening for the Pats after this year.
    Posted by Plluto29

Why dont we just trade all our crappy players for pro bowlers on other teams and then we will be all set.
    we are NOT losing all those players IDIOT.
    THEY WILL SIGN THE PEOPLE THEY CAN SIGN.
    Your acting like we are losing our whole team to FA and we will be left with nothing. every team has to make tough decisions on who to sign and who not to.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

What impact linebackers did they get in the draft this year.  Answer: None. 

They need an inside linebacker to eventually replace Bruschi, & a couple more to back up that position. There were none available in this draft. What's you're point again about phantom impact players?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

Posted by Plluto29

Jerod Mayo
    Shawn Crable(will be a starter and contribute)

2007 (only draft year we dont have 2 quility players from it)
    Brandon Meriweather

Stephen Gostkowski
    Laurence Maroney

logan mankins
    james sanders
    nick kazcur
    ellis hobbs
    matt cassel

Vince Wilfork
    Ben Watson

Ty Warren
    Asante Samuel
    Dan Koppen

Daniel Graham
    Deion Branch
    David Givens
    Jarvis Green

Richard Seymour
    Matt Light

Tom Brady
    Patrick Pass

THERE IS YOUR DRAFT DATING BACK TO 2000.....
    YOU CANT RATE THIS YEARS DRAFT AS AWEFUL THEY HAVENT EVEN PROVED THEMSELVES IN THE NFL; YET.......

I RULE

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

They need an inside linebacker to eventually replace Bruschi, & a couple more to back up that position. There were none available in this draft. What's you're point again about phantom impact players?
    Posted by passedball

My point is you don't address all of your needs in any given year in one draft or one free-agency period but rather keeping adding new parts to the roster that hoepefully, will be able to take over when hard decisions on who to keep and who to get rid of have to be made.  The thing that keeps the elite teams at or near the top of the league, year after year, is solid drafting and retaining your key free-agents.  The Pats have made some solid drafting decisions and an equal number of bad to mediocre ones.  What is tipping the balance in favor of a general decline in the team, not now, but two to three years from now, is a lack of recent draft success in terms of young college talent added to the roster.  I am not talking about trading draft picks for established stars but rather developing players from mid to lower rounds who can contribute, and will not cost a tremendous amount of money to re-sign.  I reiterate, I want the Pats to be successful.  I just feel that they have squandered a number of opportunities to improve the roster and it has cost us at least one and probably two superbowls this decade and may lead to a total rebuilding operation rather than a re-loading situation.

Sections
Shortcuts