Pats/Bucs practice observations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Pats/Bucs practice observations

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Karp

Glad you are there almost everyday to report. What is your title at ESPN? Are you doing technical/camera/production ?

Don't worry Rkarp...he's not a Rusty paid informant..LMAO!

[/QUOTE]

Rusty asked me what kind of car I drove...what the h**l? kind of creepy, right? whats my IQ? Where did I go to college? What did my father do for a living? Where do I live? What gives with that guy? I tell you he is keeping a file on all of us...

notice when it comes to football talk, he has nothing to say...he either posts anti Brady stuff, or defends BB to the hilt if anyone dare second guess...other than that he has nothing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

The WRs that get the most time during the season are going to be the ones that do the following in the following order.

#1 run it the way Brady expects and as if the ball is coming to you

#2 when TB gets you the ball catch it (if you drop more than others TB wont want to throw it to you

#3 dont fumble

#4 make a play... YAC, downfield blocking, etc.

Thompkins may not have the upside of Boyce or Dobson but if he makes plays he will be the target after DA and Gronk. He wont replace Boyce or Dobson on the sourt of routes or matchups that favor them but if he is a player he could get more targets. A poor comparison might be DA as a young Branch and Thompkins as Patten or Givens. This is a bad comparison but I hope you get my meaning... if he is consistently reliably getting open and catching the ball they will throiw it to him

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

what I saw today;

-I spent a lot of my available free time watching the WR's. I am more and more sold on Boyce and Dobson. They both looked very good today, as did Brady.

-Vincent Jackson is a beast of a WR, best WR on the field today

-Pats CB's looked sloppy and did not cover well. Bucs WR's had the upper hand all of practice (that I was able to see)

-I will flat out say it...Amendola is better than Wes. Faster, bigger, stronger.

-Edelman can have a huge year...he looks really good

-Freeman has a stronger arm than I thought. Pats S's are going to have a hard time, as I think QB's are going to pick on Gregory/ Wilson/Wilson. Jackson and Williams are a tough match up duo.

-I was never enamored with Lloyd (and said so during free agency signing period). Edelmans injury hurt a lot last year. But I do believe this years group will be better than last years, which I never thougfht I would say.

-It would not surprise me to see Vareen get more snaps than Ridley this year. Vareen does everything well, including blitz recognition and pick up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Really concise...TKU

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

Thanks rkarp!

Did Spikes ever show up?

When all is said and done I wouldn't be surprised if Thompkins out performs all receivers, Amendolla included.  I like what I have been hearing and reading about him and he looked good in preseason game #1.  Slap 83 on him and call it good.

Horrible news about the DB's, it's so frustrating!  There were a couple DB's I wanted to see the Pats get in FA that they passed on and now it looks like SOS different season.  Hope things come along by the start of regular season.  If the Pats send 6 to rush the QB and can't get to him then it puts the Pats DB's questionable DB's at a huge disadvantage... like Vick/Jackson connection last Thursday.

And why are the DB's still being taught to not turn and look for the ball?  Instead of teaching them to try and knock the ball out of the WR's hands why not get some DB's who don't get beat to where they are able to turn their head and look for the ball.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

At the end of the day if Dennard and Talib man the corner spots, and someone really breaks through at SS with McCourty playing Free... I think they will be solid. 

It's up to the pass-rush to make this group better.  I know it goes hand in hand, but any corner can be beaten if the QB has all day to throw.

But again... I am 100% feeling your frustration... year after year we wait for our D to make a difference.    Is this the year we finally stop getting worried when a QB winds up to make a throw - and the camera has to catchup to the play while we hold our collective breathes knowing whats about to happen?  We shall see.

My thoughts exactly.  We NEED Chandler Jones to emerge as a pass rushing beast!  I do not like the fact that he has been virtually invisible so far.  And on the outside, its all a matter of whether the CBs are injured or available.  As you said, Dennard and Talib are solid.  IF Ras I can provide reliable backup, this is a strong group.  and I fully believe that A. Wilson will show up and excel with DM on gameday.  Chandler is the key, not the DBs.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"■ WR Kenbrell Thompkins made a ridiculous one-handed catch on an underthrown ball, using Tampa Bay CB Rashaan Melvin’s body to help corral the pass."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

thank you rkarp!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to Eldunker's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thanks rkarp!

Did Spikes ever show up?

When all is said and done I wouldn't be surprised if Thompkins out performs all receivers, Amendolla included.  I like what I have been hearing and reading about him and he looked good in preseason game #1.  Slap 83 on him and call it good.

Horrible news about the DB's, it's so frustrating!  There were a couple DB's I wanted to see the Pats get in FA that they passed on and now it looks like SOS different season.  Hope things come along by the start of regular season.  If the Pats send 6 to rush the QB and can't get to him then it puts the Pats DB's questionable DB's at a huge disadvantage... like Vick/Jackson connection last Thursday.

And why are the DB's still being taught to not turn and look for the ball?  Instead of teaching them to try and knock the ball out of the WR's hands why not get some DB's who don't get beat to where they are able to turn their head and look for the ball.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

At the end of the day if Dennard and Talib man the corner spots, and someone really breaks through at SS with McCourty playing Free... I think they will be solid. 

It's up to the pass-rush to make this group better.  I know it goes hand in hand, but any corner can be beaten if the QB has all day to throw.

But again... I am 100% feeling your frustration... year after year we wait for our D to make a difference.    Is this the year we finally stop getting worried when a QB winds up to make a throw - and the camera has to catchup to the play while we hold our collective breathes knowing whats about to happen?  We shall see.

My thoughts exactly.  We NEED Chandler Jones to emerge as a pass rushing beast!  I do not like the fact that he has been virtually invisible so far.  And on the outside, its all a matter of whether the CBs are injured or available.  As you said, Dennard and Talib are solid.  IF Ras I can provide reliable backup, this is a strong group.  and I fully believe that A. Wilson will show up and excel with DM on gameday.  Chandler is the key, not the DBs.  

[/QUOTE]

You are a troll.

There is no question. Any moron reading too much into preseason analysis is a moron. Wait until the gameplanning elements come into play, you know, like in Week 1.

You and NAS need to go back to your respective boards. You are both clueless. We see morons like you every year here. These are basically scrimmages with little to no strategy to use the players and their skills to their strengths to help the team, yet your troll self has a handwringing poseur approach.

[/QUOTE]

Dude, the DB's are getting burned in practices against other teams.  Arrington has been getting burned, Dennard has had some good days early on but as of late has been looking bad and is now nursing an injury.  McCorty can't play CB, Gregory is a problem, I'm afraid Adrian Wilson isn't the answer... it's SOS different year from what I am reading and hearing.  Heck, Talib got lit up by Jackson deep Thursday night.  Where was Gregory?  Can't Talib cover one on one?

Face it, there are some concerns.  Game plan and stratage can only go so far.  You play the good teams and it takes player skill on top of game planning and stratagy. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[QUOTE]

Anything you'd like to add today about Kenbrell?

I feel that Dobson and Boyce have much more upside, superior skills, athleticism and speed. I prefer Thompkins on the roster, but have him at #5 on my rankings. Might be on the bubble if the Pats keep 5 WR's (Slater included)

This is no knock on Thompkins, but I think DA, Edelman, Dobson and Boyce are better players.

[/QUOTE] I can assure you that Thompkins is not on the Bubble.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Thanks for the info.  It's nice to be able to read about everything without having to sift through piles of stupidity...until the second page anyway.

I've also been quizzed on where I went to school.  I've been told I have never left Massachusetts (despite the fact that I live in Florida) and that I am late for work because I have to take too much time setting up my iPhone to play 98.5 through Bluetooth.  Whatever the heck that might mean.

Weirdos do weird things.

I would like to point out that the use of weirdo is now limited to me only.  It's my word.  Don't you dare use it.  You troll.  You moron.  Always remember, in the immortal words of our forum leader:  "Any moron reading too much into preseason analysis is a moron."  No joke.  He actually posted that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Rusty asked me what kind of car I drove...what the h**l? kind of creepy, right? whats my IQ? Where did I go to college? What did my father do for a living? Where do I live? What gives with that guy? I tell you he is keeping a file on all of us...

He has assumed many things about me, all to be wrong. 

And yes, the dude keeps info on everyone.  He keeps it all in his little note book.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

[QUOTE]

And yes, the dude keeps info on everyone.  He keeps it all in his little note book.

[/QUOTE]

LOL that is a funny clip.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

Anything you'd like to add today about Kenbrell?

I feel that Dobson and Boyce have much more upside, superior skills, athleticism and speed. I prefer Thompkins on the roster, but have him at #5 on my rankings. Might be on the bubble if the Pats keep 5 WR's (Slater included)

This is no knock on Thompkins, but I think DA, Edelman, Dobson and Boyce are better players.

[/QUOTE] They might be more gifted WR's, but Thompkins has a chemistry with Brady and he runs precise routes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

thanks for the info man. Never good to hear negatives on our DB's. I cant seem to agree with you in tems of Eds.  I just dont see how this year is any different. He looked very good last year but the fact remains, this guys cant play longer than a 3 ot 4 game stretch. Until that happens I can pencil him as giving us production throughout the year. 

I agree that D.A. is faster and bigger but how do you gauge that he is stronger?

Freeman has always had a cannon but he had a major setback last year. Jackson and Williams are a great combo, but every team is gonna have that, so we must be better in the back end. I said it a month ago that Vareen can play WR and maybe better than a couple on our team. He will have a big impact barring injury and should see more touches overall than Ridley because of his involvement in the passing game. I like Dobson and Boyce, but I still have K.T. slightly ahead of them due to his rapport w/Brady and his ability to effectively play the slot and outside. Boyce is also able to play slot but is clearly behind DA, KT, and A.D. - I like the group. Would like to see an ex player(WR) help with coaching this year, but I do like the group so far. Boyce seems fast but needs work and his hands have been just ok. The Pats may attempt to stash him if possible.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

OG I uually agree with what you have to say, but I must comment that there is NO WAY the Pats try to stach Boyce for a year! You keep saying he drops lots of balls but I am not reading that about him. I am reading the opposite , that despite sure hands he has had a few drops (as have all the WR's. Staching boyce for a year would require a phantom injury and IR becasue there is now way he makes it thru waivers. Stay well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Awesome TFB...my kids actually watch that show. I will be telling them to turn the channel now that I know what Russ really does For a living.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bawahaha!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

thanks for the info man. Never good to hear negatives on our DB's. I cant seem to agree with you in tems of Eds.  I just dont see how this year is any different. He looked very good last year but the fact remains, this guys cant play longer than a 3 ot 4 game stretch. Until that happens I can pencil him as giving us production throughout the year. 

I agree that D.A. is faster and bigger but how do you gauge that he is stronger?

Freeman has always had a cannon but he had a major setback last year. Jackson and Williams are a great combo, but every team is gonna have that, so we must be better in the back end. I said it a month ago that Vareen can play WR and maybe better than a couple on our team. He will have a big impact barring injury and should see more touches overall than Ridley because of his involvement in the passing game. I like Dobson and Boyce, but I still have K.T. slightly ahead of them due to his rapport w/Brady and his ability to effectively play the slot and outside. Boyce is also able to play slot but is clearly behind DA, KT, and A.D. - I like the group. Would like to see an ex player(WR) help with coaching this year, but I do like the group so far. Boyce seems fast but needs work and his hands have been just ok. The Pats may attempt to stash him if possible.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

OG I uually agree with what you have to say, but I must comment that there is NO WAY the Pats try to stach Boyce for a year! You keep saying he drops lots of balls but I am not reading that about him. I am reading the opposite , that despite sure hands he has had a few drops (as have all the WR's. Staching boyce for a year would require a phantom injury and IR becasue there is now way he makes it thru waivers. Stay well.

Yea I know its a stretch. Im basing the drops based on what I saw when I went and most of the early reports. Has he been better since the 1st week, most likely. Out the gate, he was behind both Dobson and Thompkins. The reason I say they may try to stash him is because based on history I still cant wrap my head around 3 rookie WR's contributing in the same year. IMO, Boyce is behind both Dobson and KT and so It wouldnt surprise me, if Boyce was given a phantom injury and redshirted but I like the kid, I hope he does well. Just not sure how a WR corp that green is gonna look in reg. season and how many game days he would be active. You got Amendola, Eds, Dobson, KT, Gronk, Vareen, and I can see them going with a vet. just me thinking outside the box.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I still say they should dump Slater for a guy that can actually play the position and contribute on special teams, like maybe Aiken. I'd rather do that than stash a rookie, who would then still be a rookie next year.  Boyce needs to play and develop, can't do that on IR.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I still say they should dump Slater for a guy that can actually play the position and contribute on special teams, like maybe Aiken. I'd rather do that than stash a rookie, who would then still be a rookie next year.  Boyce needs to play and develop, can't do that on IR.

yea Muz, Slater doesnt even practice much running routes,etc. Its like they know he wont play WR and are just honing his special teams skills. At this point though, even tho he is listed at WR, I dont know if he counts against those numbers. With the young depth we have now and guys with speed, Slater isnt needed to play in the offense. Its too bad Boyce wouldnt make it to the p/s,. I guess im just nervous going with so many rooks and not any real vets outside of Amendola. (not sure Edleman makes it yet). Lots can happen between now and September but usually an injury determines a lot. Im sure someone wont make it thru camp.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

yea Muz, Slater doesnt even practice much running routes,etc. Its like they know he wont play WR and are just honing his special teams skills. At this point though, even tho he is listed at WR, I dont know if he counts against those numbers. With the young depth we have now and guys with speed, Slater isnt needed to play in the offense. Its too bad Boyce wouldnt make it to the p/s,. I guess im just nervous going with so many rooks and not any real vets outside of Amendola. (not sure Edleman makes it yet). Lots can happen between now and September but usually an injury determines a lot. Im sure someone wont make it thru camp.

The problem is Slater's presence on the roster takes a body away from the WR corps. Slater is a fine ST performer, but he just isn't a receiver. Couldn't someone else at least do a credible job in that role while still having some potential as a receiver? Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't see what Slater brings vs. what Aiken (or someone else) could bring on STs as making all that big of a difference in winning football games.

They should put Slater in the group with the LS, P and K when making out the roster, because he's a specialist and not a WR. Personally I don't see how his skills justify a roster spot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Dude, the DB's are getting burned in practices against other teams.  Arrington has been getting burned, Dennard has had some good days early on but as of late has been looking bad and is now nursing an injury.  McCorty can't play CB, Gregory is a problem, I'm afraid Adrian Wilson isn't the answer... it's SOS different year from what I am reading and hearing.  Heck, Talib got lit up by Jackson deep Thursday night.  Where was Gregory?  Can't Talib cover one on one?

Face it, there are some concerns.  Game plan and stratage can only go so far.  You play the good teams and it takes player skill on top of game planning and stratagy. 

The DB's looked great in practice yesterday according to all the reports I've read.  Tampa is a better test than the Eagles, that's how Brady took a shot.  This game won't be as easy as the last but we'll get a better look at our team, even if they lose though the sky won't be falling, preseason is about improving, the games mean nothing.  My only concern is the health of our players, the talent is there.

Another great gif there TFB, good work.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

The problem is Slater's presence on the roster takes a body away from the WR corps. Slater is a fine ST performer, but he just isn't a receiver. Couldn't someone else at least do a credible job in that role while still having some potential as a receiver? Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't see what Slater brings vs. what Aiken (or someone else) could bring on STs as making all that big of a difference in winning football games.

They should put Slater in the group with the LS, P and K when making out the roster, because he's a specialist and not a WR. Personally I don't see how his skills justify a roster spot.

yea I agree. Its frustating. You cant even put him on the field, cuz the team will know he is gonna go deep off playaction. I like Aiken when he was here. He was big and fast and made some plays. Slater is a good special teamer, I just dont see him un touchable. I mean sure he is most times the fastest guy down the field, but he whiffs a lot too. I think they should have a DB by now that can play that role. I remember Wingham being a special teams ace while still providing depth at safety.