Pats carry 4 TE's??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

Pats carry 4 TE's??

GRONK,ALGE/LEE SMITH and A Hernandez b/c he can line up wide with the others on the field or whatever BB thinks up??? Just asking.  If you say he goes to the practice squad doesn't he have to get by another team picking him up??? Not sure how that works.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Re: Pats carry 4 TE's??

Unless Lee Smith absolutely @#$%$ the bed in preseason he wont be sent to the practice squad,too risky to lose him

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Pats will carry 4 TE's & MAYBE put Crumpler on the PUP list for first 6 weeks to make sure he's fully healed getting a player exemption....NO way they try to sneak Lee Smith through waivers or put him on practice squad as he is the Crumpler of the future for the Pats....If lee plays better than they hoped in preseason they may cut Crumpler or trade him if they can get a pick for him....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

In Response to Re: Pats carry 4 TE's??:
    Pats will carry 4 TE's & MAYBE put Crumpler on the PUP list for first 6 weeks to make sure he's fully healed getting a player exemption....NO way they try to sneak Lee Smith through waivers or put him on practice squad as he is the Crumpler of the future for the Pats....If lee plays better than they hoped in preseason they may cut Crumpler or trade him if they can get a pick for him....
    Posted by dmcpatsfan

PUP? is he coming off an injury? must have missed that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Crmpler,Gronk and Smith strictly at TE.Hernandez will be moved all over the place,even functioning as an actual WR on occasion.The possibilities with these four are myriad and though Crumpler(at this stage of his career)and Smith are renowned for their blocking,they,too,have very good hands.I believe this quartet of TE's will be a nightmare for the Pats opponents to game plan for as the Pats could have any one,two three or all four of them on the field at the same time in various sets and formations.this may be the best group of dump-off options any team has had in a long time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

I think that Crumpler might be gone, especially if Smith is as good as advertized when it comes to blocking. Or we might put Crump on the PUP like some one here mentioned. at 6'6 266, Smith is a much younger version of Crumpler and I see him in Crumpler's role either this year or next year, depending on when we release Crump.Or we might carry 4 TE's. Nothing like a Jumbo package for a strong running game.

I can see a play like this.
    Hernandez            Crump, LT, LG, C, RG, RT, Gronk, Smith
                                                   Brady
                                                                                                                                                                 RB       

Gives Brady the option to hit 4 rather tall targets or we can just pound it up the middle with BJGE/Ridley or kick it outside with Woodhead or Vereen. This year, our running game should be very fun to watch because I believe it will be EXTREMELY affective.                                                             

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

The Pats will carry 4 TE's.  They had 5 running backs last year.  I think they will carry 4 this year.  The extra spot will be for Smith.  He can play the full back position on short yardage giving them extra beef.  The Pats are heading toward a power football team.  Smash mouth is back. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

4 and 4 no need for 5 Rbs unless they want to keep Faulk around, but with Woody and Vereen being a similar role - doubtful.

Agree Lee will not make it to the practice squad.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Crumpler is due to make $2Million this year.....cause for concern if I'm Crump.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

for his leadership and what he does for our run blocking/protecting brady, money well spent if you compare him to some of the other players we have given that kind of money to, thomas, burgess, etc.  Crumpler stays.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Gee, after all the positive Crumpler comments posted on this board last season, I should be surprised at the sentiment that he will be or should be gone, now that we have a new TE but I'm not, it's so typical. 

I assume that people who are posting this way see an opportunity to get their favorite position player for some other position, such as the much wished for OLB pass rusher.  What happened to the  "crushing blocker, character guy, teacher" commentary of yore?  Fans....  Boston fans.  No loyalty, no memory.

Personally, I would love to have Alge around for another season , just to cumple some people again. I loved that all season long last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

4 and 4 no need for 5 Rbs unless they want to keep Faulk around, but with Woody and Vereen being a similar role - doubtful. Agree Lee will not make it to the practice squad.
    Posted by Patriots1970

VEREEN is not a 3rd round back PLEASE stop saying that,that is just annoying the crap out of me. He is 5'10 210 lbs and Very strong,just beause he can catch does not make him a 3rd down back!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

In Response to Re: Pats carry 4 TE's?? : PUP? is he coming off an injury? must have missed that.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

Shoulder surgery....and in my opinion injury combined with price means Crump is on the bubble

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We don't have Fullbacks on our roster which gives us plenty of roster space...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

First of all Crumplers total cap is over $3,008,000, more than Gronk,Aaron, and Smiths salaries will be this year. Second, Crump had what was said to be serious sholder surgery at the end of january. Third at 33 recovery from serious injuries becomes much more questionable, especialy a sholder injury to a "Blocking TE" who is going to be takeing abuse to that sholder on every play. Fourth, Although much apreciated for his vetran leadership in breaking in our two new star TE's ,I believe it is no longer needed as both Gronk, and Aaron have already surpassed most of Crumps better seasons. Lastly in reviewing the usural breakdown of the roster numbers it is highly unlikely that the Pats will have the luxury of being able to carry 4 TE's on the roster. I also believe it would take a lot of negatives for Smith not to make the team, because they have to know there is No way he makes it to the practice squad, and if by chance he did it wouldn't take long before he was poached off the squad.
    So unfortunately I believe this leaves Crump on the way out, but the way BB plays the system to keep available options open I also think Crumpler opens the season on PUP because of recuperation from sholder surgery and Smith makes the roster getting all the reps. and chance to make his claim for the position.
    When Crump's limit on PUP is aproaching if Smith has not proven himself but BB does not want to reliese him a phantom injury happens Smith goes to IR and Crump gets activated. If Smith has earned the position depending on how BB feels Crump either go's to IR or gets released.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

First of all Crumplers total cap is over $3,008,000, more than Gronk,Aaron, and Smiths salaries will be this year. Second, Crump had what was said to be serious sholder surgery at the end of january. Third at 33 recovery from serious injuries becomes much more questionable, especialy a sholder injury to a "Blocking TE" who is going to be takeing abuse to that sholder on every play. Fourth, Although much apreciated for his vetran leadership in breaking in our two new star TE's ,I believe it is no longer needed as both Gronk, and Aaron have already surpassed most of Crumps better seasons. Lastly in reviewing the usural breakdown of the roster numbers it is highly unlikely that the Pats will have the luxury of being able to carry 4 TE's on the roster. I also believe it would take a lot of negatives for Smith not to make the team, because they have to know there is No way he makes it to the practice squad, and if by chance he did it wouldn't take long before he was poached off the squad. So unfortunately I believe this leaves Crump on the way out, but the way BB plays the system to keep available options open I also think Crumpler opens the season on PUP because of recuperation from sholder surgery and Smith makes the roster getting all the reps. and chance to make his claim for the position. When Crump's limit on PUP is aproaching if Smith has not proven himself but BB does not want to reliese him a phantom injury happens Smith goes to IR and Crump gets activated. If Smith has earned the position depending on how BB feels Crump either go's to IR or gets released.
    Posted by part-timer

nice post part timer.
    thanks!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Crump clears $2MM off the cap if cut, he's gone unless one of the other TEs gets hurt before the season.  Or, if Cannon or another offensive players starts out on the PUP, then Crumpler might be kept for the first 6 games since the Pats are well below the cap.

Below is my version of the offensive depth chart.  Not sure if Orhnberger can end back up on the PS and BB loves Slater but I would think one of these guys would need to go to keep Crump.  I am already considering Kaczur to be cut so we would be getting pretty thin on the OL.  I can't imagine going with just 3 back-ups on the OL.  Keep in mind that we drafted Mallett so we're already carrying an extra offensive player, 3 QBs instead of 2.  I just don't see where Crump fits unless someone starts out on the PUP. 

New 2011 Projected Patriots with Draft Picks
    OFFENSE 25 Players
    Slot30 Welker '1125 Edelman '12 
    WR32 Branch '1123 Price '13 
    LOT22 N Solder '1529 LeVoir '11 
    LOG29 Mankins '1125 Ohrnberger '12 
    C31 Koppen '1125 Wendell '13 
    ROG29 D Connolly '1122 M Cannon '14 
    RT27 Vollmer '12  
    TE22 Gronkowski '1321 Hernandez '1322 L Smith '14
    QB34 Tom Brady '1425 Hoyer '1123 Mallett '14
    RB26 Green-Ellis '1022 S Vereen '14 
    26 Woodhead '1222 S Ridley '14 
    WR23 B Tate '1226 Slater '11 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Slater as the back-up wide-out . .  . no way.  Slater is a bubble player this year and will lose his special teams position to the kid from TCU, Williams (cheaper and more upside).  I see Smith playing TE and being their fullback at the goal line as he has played some on the offensive line (Not to mention he played DE and had 55 tackles with nine sacks).  I see Hernandez as a wide-out and H-back.  I think Crumpler sticks . . . I seem them keeping him and dropping Slater

Goal-line 

Crump, LT, LG, C, RG, RT, Gronk 
                                  Brady         Hernandez

Smith  
                                     RB 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB will keep four tight ends if all four are good. 

There's a chance that Crumpler has faded some more.  He's an old guy at this point, already too slow to get open.  He'll be 33 on December 23.  As an old guy he's a risk to get injured early and to heal not at all.  Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk and Sammy Morris were all in Crumpler's age group, all got injured last year, and none of them were back in time for the playoffs.  Does BB want to take a risk with an old guy?  Maybe, maybe not.

There's also a chance that Smith won't cut the mustard in August.  He's a fifth rounder for a reason.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Slater as the back-up wide-out . .  . no way.  Slater is a bubble player this year and will lose his special teams position to the kid from TCU, Williams (cheaper and more upside).  I see Smith playing TE and being their fullback at the goal line as he has played some on the offensive line (Not to mention he played DE and had 55 tackles with nine sacks).  I see Hernandez as a wide-out and H-back.  I think Crumpler sticks . . . I seem them keeping him and dropping Slater Goal-line            Crump, LT, LG, C, RG, RT, Gronk                                Brady         Hernandez                                                                                                          Smith                                    RB                                                                                                                                                           
    Posted by tenace4life

I hope you're right.  I'd rather keep Crump than Slater.  But, BB seems to really love Slater.  Maybe he was friends with his dad, IDK.  But, I agree, Slater seems most expendable.  Besides, I'd like to see Price get a chance to be on the 45 man dress team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

The more I think about the available positions on the roster, because of the wealth of new young tallent, not only isn't there room for a fourth TE, I no longer see room for ST specific players like standouts Slater or White. Much more value can be found with quality backups filling the ST possitions than loseing these quality backups to retain a ST only player. I will attempt my version of the roster to demonstrate the lack of availible possitions:
    QB 3: Brady,Hoyer,Mallett
    RB 4: BJGE,Woodhead,Vereen,Ridley
    TE 3:Gronkowski,Hernandez,Smith
    WR 5:Branch,Welker,Tate,Price,Edelman
    OL 9:Soldier,Mankins,Koppen,Cannon,Vollmer,Levoir,Connoly,Kaczur,Wendell

S 5:Meriweather,Chung,Sanders,Page,Barrett
    CB 5:Bodden,McCourty,Dowling,Arrington,Butler
    LB 8: Cunningham,Mayo,Spikes,Ninkovich,TBC,Guyton,Fletcher,Moore
    DL 7: Ty Warren,Willfork,Brace,Wright,Pryor,Deadrick,Love
    P 1:Meskow
    K 1:Gostkowski
    LS 1:Katula
    So if you have been counting that leaves ONE open spot that in my opinion will be filled either in free agency or trade for a long threat WR or a pass rush specalist. Also I have Kaczur returning as insurance for the adjustment period of Soldier and Cannon. Yes his 3.4 Mill. is a bit heavy but I see it as cheap to have the OL solid while it is in flux. Next Many have thought of Smith doing double duty as LS also to save a roster spot, I can't possibly see putting the LS at risk of injury with his importance to the punt and field goal teams. In fact you must have some sort of back up plan in place,Smith.
    It is a good sign when you relize that a lot of good quality players will be cut to get to 53.
    Practice Squad: OL Maneri,OL Ohrnberger,OLB M. Carter,CB Locket,CB T. Carter,DL,Richard,DL Favorite,WR Farnham.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Pats carry 4 TE's??:
    GRONK,ALGE/LEE SMITH and A Hernandez b/c he can line up wide with the others on the field or whatever BB thinks up??? Just asking.  If you say he goes to the practice squad doesn't he have to get by another team picking him up??? Not sure how that works.  
    Posted by patriots1a2

Without [OTA's]

Tough to install complex schemes

Thus, a power-O

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Kazcur, butler, TBC...all on the bubble, along with crumpler, slater, and a few others.  If a WR, OLB, or DL(G Warren) added, then a bubble guy is cut.  For instance, sign a FA OLB, cut TBC or Moore.  Sign G Warren, cut Wright, etc.  Who knows.  We al show Mankins on this team.  New CBA might just make him gone. 

Sections
Shortcuts