Pats, Chargers talking deal for Jackson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Pats, Chargers talking deal for Jackson

A 1st round and 2nd round pick would be a lot! A 2nd round and Mankins is another story

http://www.csnne.com/10/07/10/Pats-Chargers-talking-deal-for-Jackson/v1_landing_patriots.html?blockID=326900&feedID=6150

Oct 7, 2010

By Tom E. Curran CSNNE.com

The Patriots have looked into the possibility of dealing for Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson, a source confirmed Thursday night.

Talks are preliminary at this point but the idea of the Patriots acquiring Jackson in exchange for Logan Mankins is in play.

Mankins and Jackson are in identical contractual situations. They are restricted free agents in their fifth seasons in the league. Had the expiring CBA not intervened, both would have been free agents last offseason. Both men have opted to sit out rather than play for their tender offers.

Jackson, a 2009 Pro Bowl alternate, was placed on the roster exempt list by San Diego in the offseason. He will have to sit out three games if and when he's traded

According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union Tribune, the asking price for Jackson is a second and third-round pick to an NFC; a first and a second to an AFC team.

Again, it's early in the process and the Patriots are exploring several possibilities for shoring up their receiver corps in the wake of the Randy Moss deal. How serious their conversations are, we'll soon find out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

Re: Pats, Chargers talking deal for Jackson

I would bet not very serious at all. Probably just BB sticking his toe in the water is all. If Jackson is pulling a Mankins, why would they bring someone else in who is doing the same thing as Mankins? I really don't see this happening. Plus, Jackson is one violation away from a suspension.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

"How serious their conversations are, we'll soon find out."

This is reporter-speak for "I am talking out my @ass."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

if this is true...wow. just doesnt seem like a patriots type of move, to give a guy a huge contract who is one strike away from a year suspension. but if we could get him for mankins, that would be awesome. the guy can play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Does this mean I should grab Jackson off the "available" list  for my fantasy team and hold on to him for a few weeks????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I would feel better if this story was coming from Adam Scheftner OR Jason La Canfora....

I hope it's true though! Bring V JAX here!  We need a DEEP threat on this team!  Send Mankins out west - to help the deal out.

Makes sense - hope it happens -

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

He may not be as fast as Moss, but he is much stronger, he's much more willing to go over the middle, and he's much better at going up and out-muscling guys for a jump ball.

I wouldn't mind seeing him or Deion Branch in New England.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I would easily throw a second and Mankins at them. Might as well get what we can out of Mankins for now. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The guy is a stiff...  I'd rather put Tate and Price out there or throw Edelman some more balls.  Jackson isn't worth the money he wants, not even close.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It sounds like BS to me unless it's a Mankins for Jackson stright up type of deal. I don't see BB giving up even a 2nd for a player with the same rep that Moss had.

I'd look for Branch or Evans to come here before Jackson. They might not be as skilled but they a great route runners who are team players and most importantly will be much cheaper pick wise.

It just doesn't make sense for BB to trade Moss and pay more for a player who's younger but less talented and has already had 2 DUI issues

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

In Response to Re: Pats, Chargers talking deal for Jackson:
    [QUOTE]"How serious their conversations are, we'll soon find out."   This is reporter-speak for "I am talking out my @ass."
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

At least this means that they're actively looking to acquire a WR, which is a good sign. I think Branch is probably more likely than Jackson, but who knows. Maybe there are a couple other WR's they're looking at that we don't even know about.

We've definitely got some bargaining chips with Mankins and 8 draft picks in the first 4 rounds.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hannahman. Show Hannahman's posts

Curran is saying that it would be Mankins only.....no draft picks involved

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

VJAX would be the GUY to bring here versus d branch!  Make it work!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i'm not that familiar with the chargers current offensive line situation. does anyone know if they would be motivated to pay a ton of money for a guard? what does our resident chargers troll think?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Jbolt is not around much anymore......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Curran is saying that it would be Mankins only.....no draft picks involved
    Posted by Hannahman[/QUOTE]

If this were true I'd do it in a heartbeat. Right now we're going to get nothing for Mankins except for maybe a conditional 3rd round pick for him when he leaves. Even if it's only for a 1 year rental that would work well. Even better if Jackson only wants top 5 WR money in an extension provided they have a clause that says if he gets into trouble and gets a one year suspension then all his money past that point will no longer be guarantied and they can cut him at that point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hannahman. Show Hannahman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats, Chargers talking deal for Jackson : If this were true I'd do it in a heartbeat. Right now we're going to get nothing for Mankins except for maybe a conditional 3rd round pick for him when he leaves. Even if it's only for a 1 year rental that would work well. Even better if Jackson only wants top 5 WR money in an extension provided they have a clause that says if he gets into trouble and gets a one year suspension then all his money past that point will no longer be guarantied and they can cut him at that point.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Agreed!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

WEEI has picked up the story now...

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2010/10/07/report-pats-looking-into-acquiring-jackson/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Make this WORK Patriots / BOBBY KRAFT --->>>

Make your Patriot season ticket holders happy again! 

Most of us are not too happy about Moss going - but if you guys can Land VJAX - would help for sure!

Make it work! C'mon Pats - grab Vjax in a trade! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

If we would have to pay him 30-50 million dollars then NO NO NO. Since he wants 30-50 million dollars I say NO NO NO.

Not sure if anybody picked up on this but......Brandon Tate is a play maker. He has more catches then Moss did playing behind Moss on the depth chart and I'm pretty sure Tate has 11 catches on 13 targets hmmmmmm.  It would be great if we could move a guy for a draft pick and get Tate more involved. Oh Wait....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]I would feel better if this story was coming from Adam Scheftner OR Jason La Canfora.... I hope it's true though! Bring V JAX here!  We need a DEEP threat on this team!  Send Mankins out west - to help the deal out. Makes sense - hope it happens -
    Posted by NOISE[/QUOTE]http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/26608120562

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Make this WORK Patriots / BOBBY KRAFT --- />>> Make your Patriot season ticket holders happy again!  Most of us are not too happy about Moss going - but if you guys can Land VJAX - would help for sure! Make it work! C'mon Pats - grab Vjax in a trade! 
    Posted by NOISE[/QUOTE]

It would be better then that. Mankins is expendable with Connolly performing like a pro-bowler. He'll be gone after this year and most likely won't be making an impact this year anyways so if it's Mankins for Jackson it would be like trading Moss for Jackson but you can't have him for 3 games (The 3rd we got for Moss would be covered by a 3rd round compesation pick if Mankins signed somewhere else, I say 3rd based on him looking for franchise G money, playing time, and impact to a team). Given the storm that was brewing with Moss I'd say that's a pretty fair trade

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If we can assume BB won't sign Jackson to an extension anywhere in the vicinity that Vincent wants, than what you're saying is we should trade Mankins for a guy who will do what Mankins is doing, hold out until there are 6 games left in the season to accrue enough playing credits to hit the open market after this season...?

So with only half the games left in the season Jackson will play for us, it will take that many games for him to learn the playbook and terminology assuming he is even in shape enough to play... this is dumb without an extension, it won't happen.  We'd be better off letting Mankins play half the season for us...

Moreover if we're going to do anything we should trade Mankins for a pick and pass on Jackson.  Jackson is a one trick pony, you guys complained Moss doesn't go over the middle, this guy can run straight fast and that's it. 

We had a guy with nearly as much talent in Sam Aiken but we didn't force the ball to him again and again like San Diego did...  Tall stiffs like him and Plaxio Burress are a dime a dozen and they build their reps on teams that are talent starved at wide receiver.... at least Aiken played special teams.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Ian R. Rapoport
    The agent for Patriots guard Logan Mankins tells me a report of a Mankins-VJax possible trade: "Ludicrous." He laughed for a while

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Jbolt is not around much anymore......
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Not for nothing, but I've noticed old friend JimmyJack hasn't come around either, since the Pats kicked the sh*t out of his Dolphins in their building.

He must be too busy in the politcal forum.

Sections
Shortcuts