Pats checking out RBs Grant and Hightower?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Pats checking out RBs Grant and Hightower?

I don't know If this has be posted but Schefter just reported it on NFL Live. Both guys visited today. Ryan Grant played for GB last year and Tim Hightower for the Redskins.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Re: Pats checking out Grant and Hightower?

I heard Baltimore is very interested in him as well as Pittsburgh. Would prefer to see him land elsewhere. A couple years learning from Ray Lewis could make this kid a scary player down the road.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Re: Pats checking out RBs Grant and Hightower?

Edited my OP to be more clear. I'm talking about Tim Hightower, RB from the Redskins. My mistake.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Pats checking out Grant and Hightower?

In Response to Re: Pats checking out Grant and Hightower?:
    [QUOTE]I heard Baltimore is very interested in him as well as Pittsburgh. Would prefer to see him land elsewhere. A couple years learning from Ray Lewis could make this kid a scary player down the road.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

He is projected to be going to the Steelers, at #24...in most mock drafts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

A veteran presence at RB is something they need, IMO.  Assuming both are healthy, I prefer Grant; also like that he's experienced in cold weather.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I like Tim Hightower. If he hadn't blown an ACL last year I'd be all for bringing him in. Gonna have to pass though

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Pats checking out RBs Grant and Hightower?:
    [QUOTE]A veteran presence at RB is something they  need, IMO.  Assuming both are healthy, I prefer Grant; also like that he's experienced in cold weather.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I don't really want either of these guys.

That said, what the Pats need at a minimum is a dependable red-zone/short yardage RB. That is not Grant's game. So, of the two, I'd rather have Hightower...who is also younger: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11383/tim-hightower 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats checking out RBs Grant and Hightower? :      What the Pats need at a minimum is a dependable red-zone/short yardage RB. That is not Grant's game. So, of the two, I'd rather have Hightower...who is also younger: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11383/tim-hightower  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Hightower fumbles the ball too much for me... 12 fumbles in 621 career touches (carries/receptions)... Grant 7 fumbles in 1023 career touches.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If they sign either guy it will be done quickly so they can reshape their draft board. Hightower vs. Grant He was a more slashing style runner before the ACL injury,Hightower has more skill as a receiver out of the backfield. In either case solid options for camp competition.Grant has simply touched the ball a lot and produced when he was the ITB in the Packers offense.My choice would be Benson if they are going to bring in a Veteran back...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats checking out RBs Grant and Hightower? : Hightower fumbles the ball too much for me... 12 fumbles in 621 career touches (carries/receptions)... Grant 7 fumbles in 1023 career touches.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Yes...I saw that about Hightower. Grant is 30 years old, and has been injury prone. That's why I really don't want either of these guys.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]If they sign either guy it will be done quickly so they can reshape their draft board. Hightower vs. Grant He was a more slashing style runner before the ACL injury,Grant has more skill as a receiver out of the backfield. In either case solid options for camp competition.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this would reshape their draft board as I don't think they have RB high on their list anyways. They just spent 2 high picks on RB's last year. It would be hard to justify spending another high pick again this year

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm guessing they'll pick up a vet back when teams start making required cuts along the way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's a scouting report on Hightower. Fumbling issues aside, the kid is turning 26, has good hands coming out of the backfield, is good in blitz pick-up, and is a decent short-yardage type RB: http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/redskins-confidential/2011/07/scouting-report-tim-hightower/147992

Apparently, Hightower is in the mix as a contingency plan:

Hightower is still recovering from his Week 7 torn ACL and this is the first known interest he's received outside of Washington. He'd fit in New England thanks to his ability to block and catch on passing downs. However, beat writer Mike Reiss says Hightower and Ryan Grant are likely getting their tires kicked so the Pats have a "depth option" ready in case of "emergency." Apr 20 - 4:19 PM

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotzking18. Show patriotzking18's posts

They are kicking the tires on Joseph Addai also.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

imo they are just updating their files. It doesn't appear that anyone has any interest in any of those RB's so if an emergency occurs and they need a vet RB to come in then they have updated files on those RB's and can make a quick phone call.

Another thing is it might be another smoke screen like Ingram last year. They have been rumored to have interest in Martin in the draft and with bringing in Vet RB's it might show that they are looking to add more RB's. It might trick a team to trade up with them to take Martin (ie NO's last year with Ingram)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Addai

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

One reason for New England to be interested in RB Tim Hightower, even though he's coming off knee injury: he turns only 26 next month.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

If it weren't for the knee injury to Grant, I'd say he would be the most talented of the three - he did have two really productive season (1200 plus yards). I'd have to say Addai would be second because at least the guy can play on all three downs. Hightower has never really done anything and is coming off a torn acl (although he's the youngest). In reality...you don't want any of these guys being your lead back, but they wouldn't be that here. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I say get em all. It's offseason, they will separate them out in camp. The best four out of ten is better than the best four out of four.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Not really interested in Hightower, I didn't think he was very funny in police academy.

I liked Grant but he struggled last season.  And Addai not the big playmaker he once was.  Pass on all 3, isn't there anyone better thats available that won't bust the bank?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Hightower fumbles. Pass.  Grant would be a BJGE equivalent, let's just hope he's cheaper and not worse.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Too funny...  During EACH of these guys previous free agencies, I wanted- I really, REALLY wanted NE to take a flier on each one of them at these 2 seperate instances.  Must've been Grant, 1-3 years ago or so (did he sign a short contract deal?), and then Hightower sometime prior to that (2-4 year prior).  LOVE the idea of another decent sized Runningback...they freakin' THRIVE in NE, from Antowain Smith through to Corey Dillon, from Sammy Morris in between injury spells, right up to the little we've seen but high promise, In Ridley.

I liked Grant at THAT time...  B/c IF memory serves me right, The guy was NEVER (and lmao-not even close), a "Burner" (even for a bigger RB), but he was just enough and his age was just prior to that rounding the top-of-the-hill slowing down bell curve, for RBs...  Now, idk exactly what his age actually is, so...?  And with Hightower, the guy showed SO much potential early on...But he was stuck behind that Ohio State RB (also a bigger back) while on The Cardinals...  Not sure why this guy's name's escaping me, But Hightower couldn't get sh#t for looks behind this guy (who had and showed CRAZY skills in his 1st 3 years or so...then big fumble issues + some injury issues).  Anyway, Hightower obviously headed elsewhere, BUT Am I mistaken (or not), but hasn't Hightower himself been nailed with a few injuries in recent times (in maybe his final year on The Card, and during & throughout his stint elsewhere & afterwards)? 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Seems a common misconception on this thread but Grant hasn't blown a knee in his career. He did have a bad ankle injury last year that put him on IR however

Sections
Shortcuts