Pats Closing in on Deal w/Crumpler

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gridlocked. Show gridlocked's posts

Pats Closing in on Deal w/Crumpler

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/sports/crumpler-could-be-close-deal-patriots

Alge Crumpler’s time as a Tennessee Titan could soon be over.

The unrestricted free agent is believed to be close to an agreement with the New England Patriots, league sources indicated, though no deal is likely to be consummated until sometime next week.

The Patriots have been desperate for help at the tight end position, having lost Ben Watson to the Cleveland Browns and releasing Chris Baker this off-season.

Crumpler’s agent James “Butch” Williams said Thursday that no deal has been signed with any team.

Crumpler was a player the Titans had hoped to keep during this off-season, as he was a valuable contributor as a run blocking tight end, and also caught 27 passes for the 222 yards this past season and one touchdown.

The Titans’ need for adding a tight end was lessened somewhat when Bo Scaife signed his one-year tender offer of $4.9 million earlier in the week. The Titans also have Jared Cook, who like Scaife, is primarily a receiving tight end and Craig Stevens, who would likely inherit the primary blocking tight end role if Crumpler departs.

Crumpler joined the Titans in 2007 after being released by the Atlanta Falcons.

In two seasons in Tennessee, Crumpler has 51 pass receptions for 479 yards.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Re: Pats Closing in on Deal w/Crumpler

They sign Crumpler and either draft a decent TE or trade for Olsen/Cooley and TE is all set.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Another great move. For the people that were in utter panic mode just last week, you can now see that there IS a plan in place. It's a matter of giving it enough time to come to fruition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

According to the update an agreement is in place. Good one less worry come draft days.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

trying to figure out how this is a good signing,but others out there are either to old,or broken down,or washed up.is this called a fans preference?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

They told me the sky was falling. Now what am I going to do with all these K rations? Anyone interested in a used bunker?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I had a feeling on this. This is a great move if the do. If you're a receiving tight end who would you want throwing to you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Mosseffect, I've watched Alge with the Falcons for years. He's going to be a great upgrade for us. He's a great pass catcher but he's even more valuable to the blocking schemes. For a few years, he was Mike Vick's most trusted target and yet his numbers were still up there, even as defenses keyed in on him for coverage. I know the draft is loaded with tight ends but this is still a great move to get a proven, veteran presence to give the new guy some time to develop and split time with.

Living in Atlanta, I've never heard a single bad thing about Crumpler in terms of off-the-field issues. Always been an upstanding citizen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Closing in on Deal w/Crumpler:
    Mosseffect, I've watched Alge with the Falcons for years. He's going to be a great upgrade for us. He's a great pass catcher but he's even more valuable to the blocking schemes. For a few years, he was Mike Vick's most trusted target and yet his numbers were still up there, even as defenses keyed in on him for coverage. I know the draft is loaded with tight ends but this is still a great move to get a proven, veteran presence to give the new guy some time to develop and split time with. Living in Atlanta, I've never heard a single bad thing about Crumpler in terms of off-the-field issues. Always been an upstanding citizen.
    Posted by apdynasty23
    I wasnt signaling you out,but just stateing how some will say a player that has talent in the free agency is washed up,or to old,but you can have another old player past his time,and some say he is great,and will help the team.cant figure it out? but I hope he is a big asset.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

great news, great upgrade, now go get kevin curtis and trade for Olsen

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

olsen i like if its less then a 2nd rd pick.forget curtis though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Closing in on Deal w/Crumpler:
    forget curtis though.
    Posted by mosseffect43

i think he'd be a good fit. what are his real drawbacks beside injuuries 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

with brady its hard to say.he could shine,but he has been inconsistent with mcnabb, and the injuries are there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Brady always has a way of making mediorce WRs look great, look at the super bowl years

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Interesting to hear about this now... my friend who I mentioned a few days ago that works for another New England News Paper told me the Patriots and Crumpler had a deal basicly done and were just waiting for Crumpler to finilize because he didn't want to sign if Tenn was willing to offer comperable contract. My friend said they were not running the story because they couldn't cooberate the story with a second source... I guess this dude did.

Anyway I am happy it is basicly done now, he will be the road grader we need... on a related note Chris Johnson was suposidly campaigning to keep Crumpler as he was a big reason CJ had such a good year... Now if they are able to work the deal my friend also mentioned with Denver to get CJ Spiller the Patriots will have a shot at the same type of running game!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The deal is done. Crumpler gets Daniel Grahams old job as the blocking TE. That only leaves the receiving TE. Rob Myers was aReceiving TE in College at Utah state. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

No Worries, very deep TE draft this year. Fun to watch the team work. I'll bet they'll add one more veteran tight end before camp. 

Sections
Shortcuts