Pats Coaches Studying 2 Back Sets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Pats Coaches Studying 2 Back Sets

They used quite a few two-back sets in preseason last year too.  Belichick tries lots of different things in camp to see what works with each year's particular combination of players.  This may be the year they go I formation with Brady under center, but they may end up with three receiver sets and lots of shotgun too  We'll see. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm all for whatever works in a game situation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I'm all for whatever works in a game situation.

This, we could run a 3 back set for all I care. As long as we win the game and more importantly that shiny trophy tbthe me of the year.

However, I would love to see a 2 back set along with a 2 TE set. One TE that is a better pass catcher and one more of a blocker. Then just mix up which RB to use and which TE side to run it on. What I am thinking is use Dobson as a downfield threat during these sets, then there is the possibility of Brady reading the defense, calling an audible and throwing it deep. Either way the 2 back set could create a lot of interesting mismatches, IF they can get it to work on a consistent basis in game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Go back to your initial 'Blast from the past' video to see Drew Bledsoe in the shotgun from a two back formation with Keith Byers and Dave Meggett. I don't think having Ridley and Vereen on the field at the same time means the end of the shotgun. Ridley was run out of the gun a lot last season, and having Vereer in there a receiving back will give defenses more to think about.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Look, take what Rusty says and throw it out the window. He does not understand what the team wants to do. 

BB is the ONLY decision maker, not TB. BB is the one who has decided that the shot gun gives the team the best chance to win. If anyone has criticism, it should be directed at BB, not TB. So far, BB has been 100% correct in running shot gun, hurry up and what have you.

Until BB decides TB is slipping, the game plan will be to have the ball in TB's hands, with as many options as possible for him to exploit. That may mean 4 or 5 WR sets, that may mean 2 or 3 TE sets, that may mean 2 RB sets. I do think Ridley and Vareen in he same backfield will be very rare, and if it does happen, Vareen will be in motion and split out wide like last year. When the Pats need to run the ball from a traditional 2 RB set, I would expect to see a TE or Cannon/Connolly lined up in the backfield.