Pats College Scouting

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Pats College Scouting

I would say our scouts are some of the best in the NFL which is why the Pats continually have the most players on Pro Bowl and All Pro rosters.  Other teams have the chance to pick in the low rounds and yet they can't win.  Where's all that talent?  It's your perception, not reality.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

How about looking at recruiting some scouts from other teams that historically draft well at certain positions...Spend the money there instead of washed up vets...jmo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Drafting is not easy.  Look at all those first round busts.  It depends what system you're running as well.   Some fit better in other systems.  Why does one player translate to the NFL while others don't?  It's a crapshoot and you do as well as you can.  The Pats haven't done too badly these past couple of years.  I think it improved a lot after Pioli left. 

Remember the run on LBs the Pats had as well.  The Pats couldn't draft those very well either and than they had some luck and now we have a nice set of young LBs back there. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can anybody help me on the Pats process of College Scouting? I'm sure BB is too busy to really look at the kids during the College Season. So he must rely on his Scouts and Talent Evaluators.

Now with that said, do these guys get evaluated? Seems, were always missing on WR's, which many teams hit on later rounds. Safety, hasn't been addressed since I cant remember. The Defensive Backfield, should have been a real strong point, by this time.

In normal jobs if you fail at what you were hired for, your gone. Have we kept the same Scouts, lets say the last 6 years? We conststantly moved down in rounds for years. What that tells me is, BB figured or was told he could move down get some picks, and pick up a guy that was VALUED high by our Scouting Staff. Not saying its bad, but did it work?

How would you grade our Scouts? I know its a crap shoot, but just curious.

[/QUOTE]

p@ss poor for wr and def backs.

better at the top half for other positions.

strikes as too narrowly run power structure. been saying for years id prefer a fulltime top of the league gm. bb may be better if he can dedicate fulltime to coaching or fulltime to gm, doing both he is pretty darn good, but not optimal.

like with our coaches, not the top people in the league at these positions, nor enough weight to hold any water vs bb.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to user_4413295's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about looking at recruiting some scouts from other teams that historically draft well at certain positions...Spend the money there instead of washed up vets...jmo

[/QUOTE]

would be too smart

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Because being the best team in the NFL isn't good enough. We must dominate!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

While we're on the subject of scouting, we need to replace Brady with a QB who doesn't throw interceptions and safeties in the Super Bowl. We need to replace Welker and Hernandez with receivers who can catch critical passes in the Super Bowl. We need to replace Wilfork with someone who will show up in the Super Bowl. It all comes down to scouting.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

While we're on the subject of scouting, we need to replace Brady with a QB who doesn't throw interceptions and safeties in the Super Bowl. We need to replace Welker and Hernandez with receivers who can catch critical passes in the Super Bowl. We need to replace Wilfork with someone who will show up in the Super Bowl. It all comes down to scouting.

[/QUOTE]

You forgot that we need to replace BB with a coach that doesn't get outcoached in the Super Bowl!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

All teams miss badly on WRs and DBs. Check out some of these drafts.

WRs - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/WR-1980-now.htm

DBs - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/DB-1980-now.htm

Late round hits are rare.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Im not saying you dont do good in areas of Scouting. Those are the ones that are good. How come we dont good in other areas. For MANY Years. Are these Scouts still here.

I like that idea of hiring other Teams Scouts who are good at spoting Talent. Look at the Packers their whole WR Group is all Draft Picks, all are good. Ravens always seem to find DB's, why not give more money to the Scouts of other Teams, if they will make you better. In the long run its cheaper.

[/QUOTE]

Bobby you summarized my point exactly!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Do we know for a fact that the scouts haven't changed?  I'm sure they have dozens of scouts and they are largely unknown.  I would be surprised if there isn't some turnover every year in that department.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

It seems BB often relies on the recommendations of his contacts in college. A few unexpected sources where BB had recruited more than one person when the colleges themselves are not powerhouses are Fresno, Rutgers, Kent State.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts