Pats/Colts reality

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Casportsfan. Show Casportsfan's posts

Pats/Colts reality

I am an unabashed Pats hater, and this thread is about a week too late, so take from this what you will.  I wanted to add my two cents on the game and Belichiks' 4th down call as well.  Here it is.

The decision to go for the first down on 4th and two was an excellent call.  Let's look at this objectively:

(1)  Assuming the Pats get a good punt and T.J Rushing makes a standard 8-10 yd return, the Pats gain a net of about 50 yds. by punting.  Colts have the ball at their own 20, as upposed to giving the ball to the Colts at their own 29, which is what actually occured.  A net of 51 yds. with 2 min and 1 timeout in the Colts favor.   Would Manning have made up that 50 yds in say, 1:30?  Odds are that he would have.  In fact, 50 yds may have been made up in 3 plays and about 30 seconds.

(2) Assuming the Pats get off a BAD punt or Rushing makes a decent 15-20 yd return, the Colts get the ball at around the 50 with 2 min and 1 timeout.  The net gain for the Pats is 20 yds. in that scenerio, which is pretty much immatieral.  If you cannot stop a team from the 29 yd line inside of 2 min, the odds are probably fairly high that a drive starting at the 50 will also score.

(3) You have a hall of fame QB, the #3 offense in the NFL, and the Colts did absolutely nothing to stop you all night.  No brainer.  You go for it.  That is playing to win IMO, and it does NOT display a "lack of confidence" in your defense.  Hell, ANY defense would have trouble stopping the Colts.  Their offense is perenially near the top of the league.  I liked the decision and would not have second guessed it had I been a Pats fan.

Overall, the Pats dominated the majority of the game, but they have shown a trend over the past couple of seasons of not being able to close teams out.  This game was earily similar to the Pats/Buffalo game earlier in the year.  You got one there you shouldn't have, and lost to Colts in one you should have won.

The problem with the game, again, IMO, is that it wasn't really a true barometer of the matchup with the entire Colts secondary decimated by injuries.  Missing Sanders is a HUGE deal.  Just ask Pittsburgh how important a free safety is to slowing down the passing game.

In a rematch, I would still expect the Pats to move the ball and pick up over 400 yds. of offense, but the game would be different with a healthy secondary.  Overall, Pats missed an opportunity to possibly secure a #1 seed.  It was a HUGE loss, but there doesn't appear to be any indication that Indy is a better team.  In a rematch, I would expect a toss up.  Anyones' game.

Finally, a rematch in Indy probably gives the Pats a slight, slight edge, given that they have considerably more speed in the slot and #1 WR position with Welker and Moss than what the Colts are fielding at both positions.  Neither team runs the ball well, so a snowy Gillete would not bode well for either.  However, the astro turf does allow the Pats to play faster and utilize their speed at both afore mentioned positions, and gives them a slight edge offensively, again, IMO.

There's my take.  Now you can all bash me as a troll and tell me how my analysis su__ks :).  

Happy Thanksgiving!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: Pats/Colts reality

just worry about next weeks game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

3rd and 2 was the bad call, should have run and picked up at least a yard if he knew he was going for it on 4th down.

Tackling the Colt that caught that first pass was a mistake, let him score or push him into the end zone if he tries to kneel at the one.  Give Brady 2 minutes and only needing a field goal, don't give Manning the last chance

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gridlocked. Show gridlocked's posts

It wouldn't have hurt the Pats to have Morris and Taylor in their instead of fumbles either.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Can't argue with your assessment here.  Every writer with remedial understanding of football looking to get his name on the cover of the sports page has provided us with an article crucifying BB.  I know that the Herm Edwards book of ultra conservative stale playcalling (that brought him so much success) say's to always punt, but giving the best two minute offense in football 2 minutes and a timeout will not hinder thier offense.  With the Colts the difference between a 30 yd drive and a 60 yd drive is probably about 15 seconds, meanwhile you have Brady and one of the most potent offenses of all time trying to gain 2 yards.  Of course we'll just never know (unless you right a sports column those guys Know)

I would agree of your assessment of home field advantage, the biggest advantage for the RCA dome was always noise but that seems to be a nonfactor in the new stadium.  The Pats run a high flying speed passing game as well as anyone in the NFL so I don't think putting them in Indy hurts them at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I'm not going to comment on the take as a whole, casportsfan,  but you're the first person to suggest that the Pats are better off indoors in January as opposed to having some negligible "home-field" advantage. Every time the Pats play in the snow, the talking heads like to bring up their "snow record," which is something outlandish like 11-1 in the last whatever.

(statheads feel free to correct this arbitrary figure)

But I look at the Pats and don't see a team that is built to win in weather. And, although I've never been to Gillette myself, I've seen the Pats there on TV and heard enough Pats fans in here to satisy myself that the raucous crowd (or lack thereof) isn't scaring anybody.

If they can get there, I like the Pats chances in a rematch with Indy (and I don't sweat Bob Sanders much).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Pats/Colts reality:
    I am an unabashed Pats hater, and this thread is about a week too late, so take from this what you will.  I wanted to add my two cents on the game and Belichiks' 4th down call as well.  Here it is. The decision to go for the first down on 4th and two was an excellent call.  Let's look at this objectively: (1)  Assuming the Pats get a good punt and T.J Rushing makes a standard 8-10 yd return, the Pats gain a net of about 50 yds. by punting.  Colts have the ball at their own 20, as upposed to giving the ball to the Colts at their own 29, which is what actually occured.  A net of 51 yds. with 2 min and 1 timeout in the Colts favor.   Would Manning have made up that 50 yds in say, 1:30?  Odds are that he would have.  In fact, 50 yds may have been made up in 3 plays and about 30 seconds. (2) Assuming the Pats get off a BAD punt or Rushing makes a decent 15-20 yd return, the Colts get the ball at around the 50 with 2 min and 1 timeout.  The net gain for the Pats is 20 yds. in that scenerio, which is pretty much immatieral.  If you cannot stop a team from the 29 yd line inside of 2 min, the odds are probably fairly high that a drive starting at the 50 will also score. (3) You have a hall of fame QB, the #3 offense in the NFL, and the Colts did absolutely nothing to stop you all night.  No brainer.  You go for it.  That is playing to win IMO, and it does NOT display a "lack of confidence" in your defense.  Hell, ANY defense would have trouble stopping the Colts.  Their offense is perenially near the top of the league.  I liked the decision and would not have second guessed it had I been a Pats fan. Overall, the Pats dominated the majority of the game, but they have shown a trend over the past couple of seasons of not being able to close teams out.  This game was earily similar to the Pats/Buffalo game earlier in the year.  You got one there you shouldn't have, and lost to Colts in one you should have won. The problem with the game, again, IMO, is that it wasn't really a true barometer of the matchup with the entire Colts secondary decimated by injuries.  Missing Sanders is a HUGE deal.  Just ask Pittsburgh how important a free safety is to slowing down the passing game. In a rematch, I would still expect the Pats to move the ball and pick up over 400 yds. of offense, but the game would be different with a healthy secondary.  Overall, Pats missed an opportunity to possibly secure a #1 seed.  It was a HUGE loss, but there doesn't appear to be any indication that Indy is a better team.  In a rematch, I would expect a toss up.  Anyones' game. Finally, a rematch in Indy probably gives the Pats a slight, slight edge, given that they have considerably more speed in the slot and #1 WR position with Welker and Moss than what the Colts are fielding at both positions.  Neither team runs the ball well, so a snowy Gillete would not bode well for either.  However, the astro turf does allow the Pats to play faster and utilize their speed at both afore mentioned positions, and gives them a slight edge offensively, again, IMO. There's my take.  Now you can all bash me as a troll and tell me how my analysis su__ks :).   Happy Thanksgiving!  
    Posted by Casportsfan

If you're an "unabashed pats hater" why are you on this board and why shoud i bother to read your post, since you're clearly not an objective observer?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

You're not the typical troll as your opinion seems to have some objectivity to it. However, you mentioned the Players the Colts were missing and how that hurt their performance, but you didn't mention the key players the Patriots were missing. The Patriots were missing their best running backs Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris. Faulk is usually our 3rd down and receiving back. We also were without Ty Warren & Jarvis Green. I believe with just a healthy group of running backs in our lineup our offence would have been able to control the clock even more. We relied on the pass too much.

I come away from that game not being scared by the Colts at all. Anyone who watched that game objectively has to feel for the majority of the game the Patriots were out playing the Colts. You're right they didn't finish. They got conservative in their offensive play calling. I would love to see the Colts win all of their remaining games and then meet the Patriots again in the playoffs. I want to see both teams completely healthy, especially the Colts. When we beat them in their stadium, they won't have any excuses.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

In Response to Re: Pats/Colts reality:
    You're not the typical troll as your opinion seems to have some objectivity to it. However, you mentioned the Players the Colts were missing and how that hurt their performance, but you didn't mention the key players the Patriots were missing. The Patriots were missing their best running backs Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris. Faulk is usually our 3rd down and receiving back. We also were without Ty Warren & Jarvis Green. I believe with just a healthy group of running backs in our lineup our offence would have been able to control the clock even more. We relied on the pass too much. I come away from that game not being scared by the Colts at all. Anyone who watched that game objectively has to feel for the majority of the game the Patriots were out playing the Colts. You're right they didn't finish. They got conservative in their offensive play calling. I would love to see the Colts win all of their remaining games and then meet the Patriots again in the playoffs. I want to see both teams completely healthy, especially the Colts. When we beat them in their stadium, they won't have any excuses.
    Posted by kman2004

Other than the fact that the Colts scored three touchdowns in 10 minutes while the Pats smiled and waved at them . . .

I'd say this post is pretty much spot on.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFree93HOF. Show DFree93HOF's posts

In Response to Re: Pats/Colts reality : Yeah, but if you lose you'll have plenty of excuses. It's the Pats fans specialty! Well, that and making up ridiculous conspiracies!
    Posted by JintsFan

Quit reading my thoughts..... Black Helicopters, the CIA and Bill Polian.  Every  Pats fans worst nightmare.  They're out to get them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Pats/Colts reality :  If you're an "unabashed pats hater" why are you on this board and why shoud i bother to read your post, since you're clearly not an objective observer?
    Posted by unclealfie

Who cares?  As if Pats fans on this board are objective observers?  Get over yourself.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The three prior posts have mentioned conspiracies, and excuses- they were posted by:
    Giants Fan
    Colts Fan
    Colts Fan

none of the other posts do which kind of speaks for itself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I am an unabashed Pats hater, and this thread is about a week too late, so take from this what you will.  I wanted to add my two cents on the game and Belichiks' 4th down call as well.

You have forced me to agree with Unclealfie here.  Your opinion, even if it favors my position, is worthless here.  Go back under your bridge, troll.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

underdoggg, WE care.  and speaking of which, YOU should leave also.  go hump someone elses leg.  I would never imagine hanging out on a colts or giants board.  the fact that you and Jints fan spend so much time here is really more of a reflection on your fascination with our team than any love of your own.  Go back under your bridge, troll.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Colts are no good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

No, they are pretty good.  You should go to the Indianapolis Star website and get on one of their boards and post there.  Its the internet, you dont get charged extra for mileage.  Be free, go and enjoy yourself.

Sections
Shortcuts