Pats' Contemplating a Trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Pats' Contemplating a Trade?

For the third time in a month, CB Marquice Cole has been released by the Patriots. This leaves them with two open roster spots: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/04/patriots-release-cornerback-marquice-cole/

With Vince Wilfolk gone for the year, 32 year old Tommy Kelly now becomes the centerpiece to the interior DL. Rookie Joe Vellano has shown some potential, but may not be a strong enough run defender to be counted on too heavily. With an obvious need at DT, and field stretching WR Vincent Jackson available, is BB contemplating a trade?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Pats' Contemplating a Trade?

really? wow...have you followed the PAts at all over the BB era?

isnt it more plausible that the roster spots avilable are for the DT's on the PS? even more so now that additional PS DT's were brought in for workout yesterday?

JAckson? I love him, said so after watching him at summer camp. but an injury prone WR that doesnt stay on the field, and is at the top of the line regarding salary? no thanks.

lets get our guys healthy...I will take this offense over Denvers once Gronk, Vareen and DA are healthy enough to join Edelman on the field. Keep feeding the rookies snaps and targets. Keep Ridley, Bolden and Blount fresh and healthy, and I still feel Washington will contribute. This will be the best offense in football come week 10.

this teams achilles heel is the DL...specifically the DT position. I expect a rotation of 5 over the remainder of the season for those 2 spots...and as I implored on another thread, time to put more resources into some large defensive players 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I dont usually agree with Rkarp but I am with him on this one. I think Cole is cut due to the game plan and will be back next week. I feel Fortson of some other PS DL will be coming up.

Tex I also didnt quite get your last line; "With an obvious need at DT, and field stretching WR Vincent Jackson available, is BB contemplating a trade?" If we need a DT why would we go out and get a WR?

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am kind of glad a cartoon head doesnt agree with me ever...makes me feel that I am correct most of the time when I know you disagree

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I am kind of glad a cartoon head doesnt agree with me ever...makes me feel that I am correct most of the time when I know you disagree

No its just that you and your minion mthurley are overly dramatic trolls that tend to be overly negative in everything you post! As quagmire would say "eat it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

No its just that you and your minion mthurley are overly dramatic trolls that tend to be overly negative in everything you post! As quagmire would say "eat it!

And then on the flip side there is you who thinks the Patriots play with footballs that are stuffed with cotton candy and little unicorns will carry them to another Super Bowl! Yay! Look at those unicorns go!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

For the third time in a month, CB Marquice Cole has been released by the Patriots. This leaves them with two open roster spots: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/04/patriots-release-cornerback-marquice-cole/

With Vince Wilfolk gone for the year, 32 year old Tommy Kelly now becomes the centerpiece to the interior DL. Rookie Joe Vellano has shown some potential, but may not be a strong enough run defender to be counted on too heavily. With an obvious need at DT, and field stretching WR Vincent Jackson available, is BB contemplating a trade?

I just think they are going to rotate defensive tackles in and out of the lineup all year long until they can find another guy that can stand out there (with or without a pulse) without getting thrown back into the porter potty in the parking lot. You know that big kid working the drive through at Taco Bell? Exect to see them bring him in for a looksy. And that 420 pound librarian? Expect her to finally get her shot...Jonathan Kraft will go on the radio prior to a game and anounce how they were the first ones to open the door to females in the NFL...it will be the stuff of legends.Seriously, I think at the end of the season they will have found some 300 pound guy that hopefully will be decent enough.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think if we're looking at receivers then that is bad for amendola. He could be hurt more then we know. We're going to have to blitz more to create pressure in the back field unless a miracle happens.  Spikes, mayo and Hightower better step up their game cause their going to see more running between the tackles then they ever have.  I still have my phil Taylor wish/dream to play here. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

I think if we're looking at receivers then that is bad for amendola. He could be hurt more then we know. We're going to have to blitz more to create pressure in the back field unless a miracle happens.  Spikes, mayo and Hightower better step up their game cause their going to see more running between the tackles then they ever have.  I still have my phil Taylor wish/dream to play here. 

Amadola indicated, yesterday, that he was good to go.

Besides, they already signed an always injured receiver to step in for that always injured receiver.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Any chance they shift to alot more 3-4 to minimize the shortage of DT's?  I know the DE's are a little light for that role, but a Chandler-kelley-Vellano line bracketed by Mayo-Spikes-hightower-nink/Collins with Nink spelling both Chandler and Vellano might be stronger then trying to run the 4-3 with only 1.75 DT's, and that is including Fortson and vellano.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't think it's a trade.  I think BB is creating space to bring in practice squad players (from our practice squad or from other teams' practice squads) or free agents to fill holes created by injuries.  We've got a lot of injured backs, receivers, and TEs.  If those guys can't go, BB may be forced to pull in guys like Quentin Sims or George Winn or similar players from other teams' practice squads or off the street. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

Any chance they shift to alot more 3-4 to minimize the shortage of DT's?  I know the DE's are a little light for that role, but a Chandler-kelley-Vellano line bracketed by Mayo-Spikes-hightower-nink/Collins with Nink spelling both Chandler and Vellano might be stronger then trying to run the 4-3 with only 1.75 DT's, and that is including Fortson and vellano.

We just don't have the size for it. After Wilfork left we ran exclusive 43 fronts. I'd rather have 1.75 DTs than .5 of a NT

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

Chandler-Kelly-Vellano backed by Mayo-Spikes-Hightower-Nink is no different from their normal 4-3, except you're calling Nink a LB rather than a DE.  The real problem with Wilfork out is the one player they relied on to two-gap a lot (and occupy two blockers) is gone.  Kelly and Vellano aren't as good two-gappers as Wilfork is.  I think the real change is that they are going to have to either replace Wilfork with someone else who can two-gap (not sure if they have anyone who can do that nearly as effectively, though) or they are going to have to run a 4-3 with both interior guys one-gapping a lot. I don't really see how moving Nink to LB helps them (or doing some other kind of 3-4), since they need more upfield force at the LOS with Wilfork gone, not less. If they had three big linemen, then they might compensate for the loss of Wilfork by replacing Jones and Nink with big 3-4 DLs (and backing them with four LBs), but they don't have those big linemen.  With light linemen, I think they stay with four of them and just change their scheme to penetrate gaps more and rely a bit more on speed than size and power. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

I think this development and speculation are bad for both Dobson AND Amendola.  Watching Dobsons neck get bent like that...  Would not be surprised if he did some damage to the vertebrae area.  That is something that gets guys (especially rookies)  IRed. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

I think this development is bad for both Dobson AND Amendola.  Watching Dobsons neck get bent like that...  Would not be surprised if he did some damage to the vertebrae area.  That is something that gets guys (especially rookies)  IRed. 

What "development" are we talking about? Releasing Cole is somehow bad for two WRs? I'm not seeing the link here.

This must be how Internet rumors start. Let's see if I can recap. Cole is released, so obviously they're trading for Vincent Jackson (what other reason could there be, after all?) AND Amendola and Dobson are headed for IR, even though the linked article never mentions any of the above (except Cole).

Gee, how did I miss that?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think this development is bad for both Dobson AND Amendola.  Watching Dobsons neck get bent like that...  Would not be surprised if he did some damage to the vertebrae area.  That is something that gets guys (especially rookies)  IRed. 

What "development" are we talking about? Releasing Cole is somehow bad for two WRs? I'm not seeing the link here.

This must be how Internet rumors start. Let's see if I can recap. Cole is released, so obviously they're trading for Vincent Jackson (what other reason could there be, after all?) AND Amendola and Dobson are headed for IR, even though the linked article never mentions any of the above (except Cole).

[/QUOTE]

I think the speculation is that, because BB is opening multiple roster slots, he must feel the need to replace several injured players some of whom may include these injured receivers.  It's pure speculation, but it's not baseless speculation. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe a bad choice of words.  Referring to the combination of a lot of events, including the signing of Collie and speculation about possible trades.  I'll change the post to add speculation so it's more clear.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I think the speculation is that, because BB is opening multiple roster slots, he must feel the need to replace several injured players some of whom may include these injured receivers.  It's pure speculation, but it's not baseless speculation. 

Sorry, I think it's baseless. This thread is about a trade and there's no basis whatsoever for linking Cole's release to some blockbuster trade for Vincent Jackson or anybody else. And for anybody to conclude based purely on Cole's release that Amendola and Dobson are going on IR, if that's not baseless I don't know what is.

Sure they may bring in a Fortson as a roster filler stop gap, but that stuff happens every week. Cole goes, he comes back. It's not that interesting really. I guess that's why people tend to speculate, because it can't just be boring end of the roster machinations. Has to be a bigger thing, just has to.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly...  The thread is looking at the combination of roster moves and injuries...

Its almost impossible to predict what BB is doing or thinking but that's what makes it interesting. He's tightlipped about injuries because it is a fluid situation ALWAYS... Reports from docs aren't 100% clear. Not even close.  Players improve or get worse on a day to day basis. 

That said, Dobson is the guy I'm worried about.  plus he may need more time to get up to speed... Its not like he's been lighting it up out there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Also , look at the talib trade last year...  Who predicted that... Muzwell?

The point is anything is possible since pats have the cap space to do a similar move this season .

...or not ....lol.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

And then on the flip side there is you who thinks the Patriots play with footballs that are stuffed with cotton candy and little unicorns will carry them to another Super Bowl! Yay! Look at those unicorns go!

No Hurly, thats where your wrong (again). I dont think the Pats or BB are perfect. However, having lived thru the horrible years, I am enjoying "the good old days" now while we are living them! Not everything has to be so darn dramatic or negative. Lighten up and enjoy these days while you can. In a few years you and Rkrap will have plenty to commiserate about!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Also , look at the talib trade last year...  Who predicted that... Muzwell?

The point is anything is possible since pats have the cap space to do a similar move this season .

...or not ....lol.

Yes, anything is possible. But this is the third time since the season started that Cole has been released. No trades have resulted yet. It's fine to speculate, but Vincent Jackson...really, and two WRs are going on IR?  Don't you think bring up a Forston or bringing in some street FA to play DT is a ALOT more likely than some big trade? 

But if we're speculating, give me Cecil Shorts and Tyson Alualu from the Jags for a first rounder and I'm in.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

I dont usually agree with Rkarp but I am with him on this one. I think Cole is cut due to the game plan and will be back next week. I feel Fortson of some other PS DL will be coming up.

Tex I also didnt quite get your last line; "With an obvious need at DT, and field stretching WR Vincent Jackson available, is BB contemplating a trade?" If we need a DT why would we go out and get a WR?

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

The Pats could use both, don't you agree? My guess is that Jackson could be had on the cheap...like for a 4th or even a 5th rounder...depending on how much money Tampa agrees to pay of his huge salary. Plus, Jackson would have to redo his contract.

DT appears to be a much tougher position to get help. Would Tampa make Gerald McCoy available? Is Jacksonville's Tyson Alualu available? Phil Taylor from now 3-2 Cleveland? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

Sorry, I think it's baseless. This thread is about a trade and there's no basis whatsoever for linking Cole's release to some blockbuster trade for Vincent Jackson or anybody else. And for anybody to conclude based purely on Cole's release that Amendola and Dobson are going on IR, if that's not baseless I don't know what is.

Sure they may bring in a Fortson as a roster filler stop gap, but that stuff happens every week. Cole goes, he comes back. It's not that interesting really. I guess that's why people tend to speculate, because it can't just be boring end of the roster machinations. Has to be a bigger thing, just has to.

[/QUOTE]

Cole's release creates two open roster spots.  I doubt both are intended for DTs, and think it's reasonable to speculate at that least one is likely intended for an offensive skill player given all the injuries to WRs, RBs, and TEs.  I agree that a blockbuster trade to fill one of those slots is far-fetched and that there's no reason to jump to any conclusions about placing players on IR, but I do think the release of Cole strongly suggests the possibility that Amendola, Gronk, and/or Dobson may not yet be ready.  The acquisition of Collie suggests that too.  And look at this injury report.  Three of the top four receivers, three of the top four running backs (taking into account Vereen who's on a different injured list), and the top tight end are all hurt.  Put all this together and speculating about moves in the skill positions isn't totally baseless at all.

PATRIOTS' FRIDAY PRACTICE REPORT Player Ps. Injury Friday Participation Game Status Stevan Ridley RB Knee DNP OUT Matthew Slater WR Wrist Limited Doubtful Danny Amendola WR Groin Limited Questionable Brandon Bolden RB Knee Limited Questionable Aaron Dobson WR Neck Limited Questionable Rob Gronkowski TE Back/Forearm Limited Questionable Dont'a Hightower LB Knee Limited Questionable Jerod Mayo LB Ankle Limited Questionable Kenbrell Thompkins WR Shoulder Limited Questionable Sebastian Vollmer OL Foot Limited Questionable Leon Washington RB Thigh Limited Questionable Tavon Wilson S Hamstring Limited Questionable Kyle Arrington CB Groin Full Probable Will Svitek OL Knee Full Probable

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I don't think it's a trade.  I think BB is creating space to bring in practice squad players (from our practice squad or from other teams' practice squads) or free agents to fill holes created by injuries.  We've got a lot of injured backs, receivers, and TEs.  If those guys can't go, BB may be forced to pull in guys like Quentin Sims or George Winn or similar players from other teams' practice squads or off the street. 

RESPONSE: Could be. But, if DT Marcus Forston wasn't brought up from the practice squad by now, one has to wonder if he has what it takes. Is Armstead ready to return? With suddenly all the injuries at RB, a George Winn return, as you suggest, is also a possibility. 

Sections
Shortcuts