Pats Contractual Obligations to AHern?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Pats Contractual Obligations to AHern?

I can appreciate the respect for not guilty until proven..blah blah, but I believe that Hernandez is going to jail one way or another.  So much for his tight end...

At the very least, he will be tied up for many, many, many months in this murder trial and the FLA face shooting, not to mention the RI bar incident. He will be physically unable to fulfill his contractual football duties and mentally he has got to be a complete basketcase and now worthless to the team.

Can the Pats release the Ahole AHern and not be responsible for any addl compensation and/or get Cap relief?   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Pats Contractual Obligations to AHern?

Can this board release Eldunker and get relief from these dopey posts?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

RESPONSE: Actually, he brings up a good point. Your response is what is dopey. My guess is that Hernandez, and every player, has some sort of conduct clause in his contract...which gives the Pats an out. Seeing how the Pats protected themselves with the rookie deal given Hernandez, I'd be shocked to learn that the Pats didn't protect themselves again, in his new deal: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/06/patriots_play_c.html 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Not sure how the clause works if he does have one, but the Pats have given him $12.5 of his of his bonus money. Can they claw that back?

he also has a cap hit of $4m this year, and if cut is $10m against the cap...

good question by the op on how the NFL handles this situation. I seem to recall when the Lions had that run on knuckle head WR's they were able to get some bonus money back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Not sure how the clause works if he does have one, but the Pats have given him $12.5 of his of his bonus money. Can they claw that back?

he also has a cap hit of $4m this year, and if cut is $10m against the cap...

good question by the op on how the NFL handles this situation. I seem to recall when the Lions had that run on knuckle head WR's they were able to get some bonus money back.

rkarp, im thinking it depends how that contract/ 12.5 mil was written up, i would think....

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'd imagine they could get some, if not all of that signing bonus back if he does jail time...if he manages to get off and we end up just releasing him?? That is a different story. Hernadez will no doubt be suspended (at the very least) when this thing is all said and done - more likely he will be in jail for the next 10 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

RESPONSE: Actually, he brings up a good point. Your response is what is dopey. My guess is that Hernandez, and every player, has some sort of conduct clause in his contract...which gives the Pats an out. Seeing how the Pats protected themselves with the rookie deal given Hernandez, I'd be shocked to learn that the Pats didn't protect themselves again, in his new deal: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/06/patriots_play_c.html 

[QUOTE]

Response

This statement by the OP is dopey: "At the very least, he will be tied up for many, many, many months in this murder trial and the FLA face shooting, not to mention the RI bar incident. He will be physically unable to fulfill his contractual football duties and mentally he has got to be a complete basketcase and now worthless to the team."

We have no idea whatsoever whether this case will result in a murder trial or whether Hernandez will miss one day of training camp or whether the RI or FL matters will result in any missed time or anything else. You want to discuss contracts, fine have at it, but save the completely unforunded conclusions for another time, like when we know a whole lot more than we know now.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Absolutely, it doesn't look good for Hernandez. He's facing consequences of some sort and it would appear he's involved in something, whether it's murder or hindering prosecution or whatever. It's also quite possible that there is no trial, that whoever killed the guy confesses and Hernandez cooperates and gets no prison time, or is guilty of nothing more than associating with bad guys and using poor judgment and this thing is over in a few weeks.

Making a declarative statement that his season/career is over is premature at best. And dopey.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Once Hernandez is arrested today the clock starts ticking as to how soon the Patriots release him. It should be immediately. There is no point in dragging it out. He made his choices and now the Law will meter justice.

The Patriots need to move on and purge this fool from the organization as soon as possible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Muzz...Man...come on....you are normally solid as granite here....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Muzzy is usually cranky. Makes some good points, buy cranky. This isn't a forum to take things personally. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Some here need to wake up and take a reality pill....seriously....

What part about Hernandez is involved in a Murder are some not getting?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Lots of drugs and alcohol mixed with a gun and a hot head have been recipes for murder forever. It doesn't matter if you have millions or a quarter in your pocket. AH is in deep doo doo.  Obstruction, disfigurement, murder charges, whatever.  You can bet the Pats legal brain trust is pouring over the moral contract clauses.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

[QUOTE]

Ray Lewis was involved in a murder too, under somewhat similar circumstances. He was either directly involved or he was just part of covering it up.  He made a deal. Now he's a role model, pitchman, and pillar of the community.  I don't remember, did he miss a game, a practice?

My point is is stop all the mouth breathing and wait and see how it plays out. Those who say his career is over or he needs to be cut at this point are the cranky ones.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Once Hernandez is arrested today the clock starts ticking as to how soon the Patriots release him. It should be immediately. There is no point in dragging it out. He made his choices and now the Law will meter justice.

The Patriots need to move on and purge this fool from the organization as soon as possible.

They can't remove him yet. If they remove him now before he's even convicted of anything I'm not sure they can recover the bonuses or at least it will make it tougher to do so. If he is convicted of a major felony though they can file to have the bonus recouped and release him then. It gives them a stronger stance with the reviewing panel (which includes the NFLPA) that they didn't release him prior to a conviction. Of course before even that happens he has to be arrested for the crime. Obstruction by itself isn't a good enough cause to recoup any funds.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

Ray Lewis was involved in a murder too, under somewhat similar circumstances. He was either directly involved or he was just part of covering it up.  He made a deal. Now he's a role model, pitchman, and pillar of the community.  I don't remember, did he miss a game, a practice?

My point is is stop all the mouth breathing and wait and see how it plays out. Those who say his career is over or he needs to be cut at this point are the cranky ones.

He’s been involved in 2 other documented shootings Muz..one involving shooting a man in the face.

He is being charged with obstructing justice in a murder investigation….you know why?

Because he has obstructed justice in a murder investigation.

I don’t need to wait around until the charges are upgraded to murder.

He’s disgraced the organization and smeared the Patriot brand. Enough is enough.

Let the Law take it from here but Hernandez needs to be banished from this organization like the human maggot that his is. There is no reason to allow this to linger or tarnish the organization any further.

Those who are unable, or unwilling, to realize this….need to take a look at their moral compass and realize there can be only one way to go forward with this situation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Muz I wouldn't want Lewis within 100' of me nor do I really believe he's changed further than I could drop kick him. Do some people change, sure, but it doesn't change the fact someone is dead because of it. Justifying murder because he can play a game is crazy and letting others take the fall for you because you have talent is just plain wrong. Imo Lewis should have been a role model in prison, just like Vick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

He’s been involved in 2 other documented shootings Muz..one involving shooting a man in the face.

He is being charged with obstructing justice in a murder investigation….you know why?

He’s disgraced the organization and smeared the Patriot brand. Enough is enough.

Let the Law take it from here but Hernandez needs to be banished from this organization like the human maggot that his is. There is no reason to allow this to linger or tarnish the organization any further.

Those who are unable, or unwilling, to realize this….need to take a look at their moral compass and realize there can be only one way to go forward with this situation.

[QUOTE]

What other "documented shootings"? Some guy filed a civil suit against a rich guy claiming he was shot and the guy needs to pay him.  If this is true, why wasn't the rich guy arrested? Generally speaking, if you're shot in the face your first call is to 911, not to some lawyer. Moreover, if you're treated in a hospital for gunshot wounds there usually follows some sort of police investigation. 

I can file a civil suit tomorrow claiming Dick Cheney shot me in the face during a poker game after I caught him cheating. Doesn't make it a "documented shooting" because I put it on paper and paid a court filing fee. 

I get that some people have him tried and convicted without knowing really anything at this point. Rush to judgment all you want. Hopefully, the Patriots are a bit more patient.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What other "documented shootings"? Some guy filed a civil suit against a rich guy claiming he was shot and the guy needs to pay him.  If this is true, why wasn't the rich guy arrested? Generally speaking, if you're shot in the face your first call is to 911, not to some lawyer. Moreover, if you're treated in a hospital for gunshot wounds there usually follows some sort of police investigation. 

I can file a civil suit tomorrow claiming whatever Dick Cheney shot me in the face during a poker game after I caught him cheating. Doesn't make it a "documented shooting" because I put it on paper and paid a court filing fee. 

I get that some people have him tried and convicted without knowing really anything at this point. Rush to judgment all you want. Hopefully, the Patriots are a bit more patient.

Or you could just go bird hunting with Cheney and have a real case against him Foot in Mouth

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Muz I wouldn't want Lewis within 100' of me nor do I really believe he's changed further than I could drop kick him. Do some people change, sure, but it doesn't change the fact someone is dead because of it. Justifying murder because he can play a game is crazy and letting others take the fall for you because you have talent is just plain wrong. Imo Lewis should have been a role model in prison, just like Vick.

I don't disagree. If (the operative word here) the facts emerge that Hern is responsible for killing the guy in ANY way, he's a menace to society, give him 40 to life and hope we never hear from him again.

There are a couple of other possibilities though. It's equally possible that he did not kill the guy but that he helped the killer cover it up after the fact. It's also possible (but admittedly less likely given some of the facts we do know) that he personally had nothing to do with either the crime or the cover up. 

If he was part of the cover up, but not the murder, he could make a deal and do no time and after a suspension, resume his football career. 

Let's let it play out is all I'm saying.

Sections
Shortcuts